Forums / Discussion / General

169,419 total conversations in 5,525 threads

+ New Thread

Discuss various types of zombies

Last posted Jul 31, 2013 at 03:16PM EDT. Added Jul 27, 2013 at 05:33PM EDT
20 posts from 19 users

Welcome to a thread about the not necessarily undead.

This is a discussion about all types of “zombies.”
Lets talk about how the afflicted work, thier weaknesses, strengths, and how they spread. Possibly even reach a scientifically possible explanation (excludes magic)
Pick a type and provide your knowledge below.
Types include (but are not limited to)
Viral infection
Post-death (necrotic) viral
Black magic
Disease
parasite (alien or otherwise)
Fungus (Inb4 last of us)

I will start us off on the fungus note
The cordyceps Is geared to the infection of anthropods, like ants.
Ants, as you can tell have vastly inferior immune systems to us.
But what if a highly mutated cloud of cordyceps spores came into contact with someone who has AIDs or other immuno disease?

Ill just leave that to sit in your head.

Jul 27, 2013 at 05:33PM EDT

BLACK MAGIC
part of an necromancers arsenal it can create demon processed zombies and if one dies you get many demons on you or conventional electricity with alchemy cause an godless abomination some of them have an ability to adapt as our ancestors did if able to breed it can cause an undeath/human hybrid which can rule the world

Jul 27, 2013 at 06:01PM EDT

I personally like the fungus zombie one the best. It just seems the most likely, and the most horrific.

Jul 27, 2013 at 06:49PM EDT

Old school fantasy black magic zombies are the best. These are true undead. Also, there’s too much realism in speculative fiction these days. Less realism is more fun.

Here is an awesome song about zombie curses and shit. (2brutal4you)

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:27PM EDT

I don’t know about you guys, but I really like the idea of post-apocalyptic irradiated zombies. The kind that doesn’t zombify humans, but possesses remarkable strength despite the decay of their bodies.

Jul 28, 2013 at 08:48AM EDT

Alien bacteria/virus/parasite/whatever that is controled by an Alien device. IMO the premise of “zombies” that Dead Space have is pretty interesting.

Last edited Jul 28, 2013 at 11:22AM EDT
Jul 28, 2013 at 11:20AM EDT

I actually really enjoyed the type of zombies of 28 Days Later. The idea that they’re still human but have been infected by a virus that causes them to rage uncontrollably is original and awesome.

Jul 30, 2013 at 01:03AM EDT

Never heard these things described as “zombies”, but it seems just about accurate to me.

BE THE FIRST TO SPOT THE JOKE IN THIS POST AND YOU’LL GET A FABULOUS PRIZE!

Jul 30, 2013 at 02:20AM EDT

Chokesmurf wrote:

I actually really enjoyed the type of zombies of 28 Days Later. The idea that they’re still human but have been infected by a virus that causes them to rage uncontrollably is original and awesome.

That’s every kind of zombie these days.

Jul 30, 2013 at 02:59AM EDT

@Katie

That’s because fast zombies are more entertaining in film.

When the zombies are lurching and slow, it’s great in video games where you can just mow them down. But in film, that is simply not scary. However seeing them swarm like angry bees where your revolver wont do shit, makes for more dramatic film scenes

That and fast zombies make a little more sense to the audience

Jul 30, 2013 at 03:11AM EDT

I guess the one I find most disturbing was a zombie enemy in Tales of the Abyss (You see it early on when you are crossing the riverbed where Jade tells you how to use an FOF Change). Where it was essentially a zombie being controlled by a hive of bees living in it’s body.

It’s a RPG, not a Horror game mind you. I can stomach the Nekamorphs and RE4 zombies, but that zombie in particular makes me want to vomit…

Last edited Jul 30, 2013 at 04:59AM EDT
Jul 30, 2013 at 04:58AM EDT

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Never heard these things described as “zombies”, but it seems just about accurate to me.

BE THE FIRST TO SPOT THE JOKE IN THIS POST AND YOU’LL GET A FABULOUS PRIZE!

the thing is an alien parasite

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:43AM EDT

Let’s talk about zombie strategy:

Virus Zombies are CONTAGIOUS. Your best bet is to AVOID. Maybe you can hide out somewhere (Costco, tiny island, bunker). Whether or not you have to live there forever is up for debate, because the zombies, scientifically have to eat something or they will… stop moving. (I guess I can’t say “die”).

Parasite Zombies (alien) are dangerous. DO NOT ENGAGE. The danger lies in that they may ACTIVELY SEEK TO INFECT YOU instead of the usual “braiiins” schtick. They are smarter, but often not spread my simple light contact like a virus.

I defer discussion of Parasite Zombies (fungal) to another expert.

Magic Zombies are not contagious. Unless you are killed in battle, and then enchanted, you will not become a zombie. Thus your primary strategy would be to ENGAGE. These zombies might not die easily, as corporal integrity is not essential. Severed limbs may attack on their own, but if the SORCERER responsible for their creation is defeated, then the zombie, having no master, will likely revert into a normal dead person.

Jul 30, 2013 at 04:37PM EDT

@Natsuru
Your avatar reminds me of the most annoying zombies I’ve ever faced because same series.

Those goddamn zombie fairies from SA stage 5

OK, they’re not REAL zombies (just fairies dressing up as zombies), but they are still annoying as all hell.

…I suppose I might as well name Yoshika here, too…

HOW THE HELL ARE YOU EVEN SUPPOSED TO CAPTURE HER FIRST SPELLCARD WITH YOUMU. (Surviving it isn’t a problem, it’s CAPTURING it, for me.)

Jul 30, 2013 at 05:35PM EDT

I personally like two types of zombies. Necromancy zombies and viral zombies.
With necromancy, you have to fear both the living and the dead. You never know if your famous or powerful magi is a necromancer in disguise. Even weak magi can be dangerous with poisons or, like in WoW, plagued food. These type of zombies vary on strength, speed and power. Depends on what they were like when they were alive.
Want immortality? Get and even STRONGER necromancer to make you a lich. An undead mage who can continue on with his necromancer “hobby” even after death.
Necromancers have zombies, but they’re mainly used for canon fodder or to spread the disease/curse.

Love viral zombies like in Left4dead. It’s in the air, the food, the water. If you’re immune to those, then you’re in for a lovely and horrible treat when your love ones, who are not immune, come after you. Cleanliness is the key to survive this mayhem, but you can’t stay clean forever. The Earth is big and humans live on every continent, except when expeditions are not in Antarctica.
Non-zombified people can be carriers of the disease. Who can you trust in this mad, mad world?

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:28PM EDT

The evolution of zombie folklore itself is even interesting. Zombie, or zombi, as it were, is thought to have originated from Haitian vodou (learned about in the early 19th century, but existing long before in previous religions leading up to Haitian voodoo). It was first thought that a zombi was a servant of a bokor (magical practitioner) who could revive the dead for their servitude.
Modern zombies are typically always ‘biological’ zombies (zombism spread via pathogens), example of this are numerable: Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Left4Dead, Dead Island, Walking Dead, etc. Thus, the term was extended from being a revived dead for servitude [via supernatural forces], to any phenomenon of something dead returning from the dead.

One interesting thing to note is Hatian zombis were never described as cannibalistic (though, actual zombis which were procured by a process of poisoning a person into a catatonic state then revived were described as delusional, irrational and psychotic.) Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead are early examples of zombies desiring flesh (movies in the late 60s, early 70s), thought the first example of zombies specifically craving brains was introduced in Return of the Living Dead. Since then, it has been a consistent theme for zombies to crave human/living flesh (usually ascribed as being their primal urge to sustain themselves, though some zombies apparently do not explicitly require sustenance by either food or water). But I really do wonder why/where the idea came from (especially the brains part, why brains?).

On a personal note, I prefer modern biological zombies, as it adds to the realism that it could happen (vs.magic mumbo jumbo) as forms of “zombism” do exist in the animal kingdom (like some people have provided previously, as well as examples of hives being controlled by pheromone using monarchs), though, none of these actually resurrect dead tissue, but still, you get what I mean.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:04PM EDT

So I just want to sort of point out WWZ did the zombie thing pretty neat, with less emphasis on the “Zombie flesh eater” and more of the “don’t eat them shit fucks we want more homies” thing.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:30PM EDT

Zombies that uses guns. ’nuff said.

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:44AM EDT

Since i stumbled onto OP talking about cordyceps, here’s a fun fact: In some countries, people actually eat cordyceps and also take cordyceps pills for health benefits.

But I’ll just get to the point for the fungus zombies, just burn the fuckers and keep a gas mask on you. Also recommended would be the simpler method of shooting it with a gun.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:01PM EDT

Black Magic: From what I can gather, or at least if Skyrim and other sources telling the truth, in these cases killing the summoner also kills the zombie or zombies raised by that summoner. In other cases, the zombies may be connected to some kind of magical object, usually whatever was used to reanimate it, and again, if it’s destroyed it kills the zombies as well.

Also with some additional notes, in some far eastern cultures, dead that are revived/possessed by evil spirits are susceptible to “holy objects”, talismans and such, and even can be “purified” by salt.

Jul 31, 2013 at 03:16PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!