Forums / Discussion / General

170,278 total conversations in 5,455 threads

+ New Thread


call of duty is now a kids game...

Last posted Aug 13, 2013 at 12:28PM EDT. Added Aug 07, 2013 at 03:53PM EDT
24 posts from 15 users

(oh great, i failed to check on my previous thread and it got derailed into a racial debate… nice going…)

so here’s another subject that angers me.

call of duty.

it used to be a praised, well respected game series that was ground breaking for it’s time. hell, i even think that CoD: World at War is the best shooters WWII ever made.

now it’s just a fucking kids game, and completly ailenated the original adult fanbase…

yes, it’s been around like that for quite some time and it was slowly degrading ever since MW2 but now with the new CoD:ghosts coming out, they sealed the coffin.

everyone already laughed at how stupid the CoD:Ghosts, it wasn’t funny to me, it was sad, and painful.

just from looking and the faces of the interviwees you can tell they aren’t really trying…

“we have brand new fish AI” really? who gives a crap about fish AI when it’s a game about WAR?

“a brand new companion a dog!” seriously!? why the hell a game that is about fighting in terrible and intense battles has a dog companion!? hell, it wouldn’t be so bad if he was just a random NPC to snuggle with at the end of every mission.
but no. you are forced to take control of him in terribly ackward scripted scenes when you just ambush people with him.
but hey, it’s a dog, kids love dogs, so lets add a fucking contolable dog in a game about global war, yeah that’ll be awesome.

in fact, every bit of the campegin i have seen so far is 100% scripted. no more big battles, nothing of that, it’s all sneaky super commando style which in fact just following the leading NPC from point A to point B while crouching, just to apeal to the kids that pretand they are badass spies.

“awesome new lean feature!” fucking really? a lean feature, that exists in every COD (except for modern warfare) in NEW!? if you say it’s new, kids will buy it.

“new jump mechanic! now if you run past a low obstacle you will automatically scale over it!” oh wow, such an inovative feature! it’s totally not like you could just jump over them like in every other FPS… so original and cool…

and of course, the groundbreaking soldier customization! now you can let your soldier, wear cowboy hats and pointy shoes! because taking silly features from TF2 is exactly what this war game should have.
kids can now be “original” and customise the soldier they want to be…

but how can it be a kids game if it’s M rated eh?

easy. the M rating is part of the trick. kids want to feel that they are big, adult and strong, they don’t want to get stupid baby E rated games, they are ‘cool’ so they will get a M rated game despite the fact this game is FAR from mature.

how this mighty have fallen, it pains me greatly how greed and arrogance have taking this franchise to the ground and became a prime example of coroprate rot and decay.

is there any hope? do you think one day this franchise will be redeemed? i just hope COD:G will bomb hard and activison will just sell the trademark to people who can handle it properly… hell, even EA can make it better

Aug 07, 2013 at 03:53PM EDT
Quote

EA will not make it better. It may be a generic military FPs, but even it doesn’t deserve the fate of being destroyed by EA. After all, it does keep the annoying kids out of other games.

Aug 07, 2013 at 03:57PM EDT
Quote

how will EA destroy it? look at the games EA publishes, they are spectacular. just look at the new battlefield 4 soon coming out, it blew my mind when i first saw it.

But activsion realease THE SAME GAME, with dumbed down features with every new installment.

hell, they demand 15$ for a DLC of of just FIVE MAPS, i can buy a whole game on steam for that kind of money….

Aug 07, 2013 at 04:26PM EDT
Quote

Who cares.
Seriously it’s just a stupid video game.
If you don’t like it then don’t waste money on it.
Also fifteen dollars for five maps isn’t that bad when you think about it. That only amounts to three bucks per map.

Aug 07, 2013 at 04:37PM EDT
Quote

Just a companion dog huh? I’ll just leave this here…

Wanna cuddle?

Last edited Aug 07, 2013 at 04:56PM EDT
Aug 07, 2013 at 04:56PM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Who cares.
Seriously it’s just a stupid video game.
If you don’t like it then don’t waste money on it.
Also fifteen dollars for five maps isn’t that bad when you think about it. That only amounts to three bucks per map.

a franchise you loved got ruined because of coroprate greed. gee who cares.

well i guess when activision will anounce they will make half life 3 that has a groundbreaking feature like jumping no one will be upset at all right?

also, 15 dollars for 5 maps is a ripoff. for the kind of money you were supposed to get new weapons and features.
heck maps are usually made for free by fans, but activion doesn’t allow that to happen in CoD because they won’t be able to charge those 15$

Aug 07, 2013 at 05:25PM EDT
Quote

So, I take it you’ve played CoD ghosts then?

Aug 07, 2013 at 09:21PM EDT
Quote

> Implying Call of Duty was ever a good game
> Implying Call of Duty was ground breaking
> Implying Call of Duty wasn’t a ’kid’s game’ before

Good one, OP.

Call of Duty, like its copycats, is a mediocre gaming experience that glorified the American military in the modern age, and justified American patriotism and paranoia. Have you never noticed that just about every game pits you against three sorts of enemies – Middle Eastern Terrorists, Russians, and the Chinese? It does nothing but imply that somehow these groups of people are out to get us, and have been for some time, while at the same time glorifying the American military and its effectiveness. I’m not saying that it’s propaganda, but god damn does it do a great job at implying that somehow these guys are still ‘the enemy’, whilst also assuming that any of the schemers that star in these games would have enough power to cause that much unrest.

And don’t come at me with the multiplayer experience. Sure, it may have been great, but it did little more than build off of Halo’s multiplayer experience. Call of Duty isn’t worthy of its praise.

Last edited Aug 07, 2013 at 09:51PM EDT
Aug 07, 2013 at 09:49PM EDT
Quote

Dr. Coolface wrote:

^I take it you’ve never played the original WWII Nazi-shooting Call of Duty

I’m pretty sure Call of Duty is synonymous with Modern Warfare by now, but I could be wrong.

The ORIGINAL Call of Duty… Eh, it was okay.

Last edited Aug 07, 2013 at 10:00PM EDT
Aug 07, 2013 at 09:59PM EDT
Quote

@Cite

Who cares.
Seriously it’s just a stupid video game.
If you don’t like it then don’t waste money on it.
Also fifteen dollars for five maps isn’t that bad when you think about it. That only amounts to three bucks per map.

Also fifteen dollars for five maps isn’t that bad when you think about it. That only amounts to three bucks per map.

Also fifteen dollars for five maps isn’t that bad when you think about it.

fifteen dollars for five maps

dollars for maps

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:29PM EDT
Quote

Jolly Jew wrote:

how will EA destroy it? look at the games EA publishes, they are spectacular. just look at the new battlefield 4 soon coming out, it blew my mind when i first saw it.

But activsion realease THE SAME GAME, with dumbed down features with every new installment.

hell, they demand 15$ for a DLC of of just FIVE MAPS, i can buy a whole game on steam for that kind of money….

Right, and EA releasing the same game every year is perfectly OK. Because that’s kind of what the EA Sports line does. If I were to pick up a copy of Fifa 13 I can be pretty sure it wouldn’t play that differently to the copy of Fifa 99 I have sitting in my PS1 rack.

And did you forget EA charges you $10 for daring to buy their games second hand?

And it’s not like EA doesn’t destroy series. Look at what happened to Ultima.

Last edited Aug 08, 2013 at 04:36AM EDT
Aug 08, 2013 at 04:31AM EDT
Quote

Lost Cause wrote:

Right, and EA releasing the same game every year is perfectly OK. Because that’s kind of what the EA Sports line does. If I were to pick up a copy of Fifa 13 I can be pretty sure it wouldn’t play that differently to the copy of Fifa 99 I have sitting in my PS1 rack.

And did you forget EA charges you $10 for daring to buy their games second hand?

And it’s not like EA doesn’t destroy series. Look at what happened to Ultima.

no one cares about sports games. the reason why they are released every year is simply to update the new teams and players.

charging 10$ for buying a used games is actually understandle, totalbiscuit explained that used games is what hurts the game industry the most.

yeah, sure ea destroyed some graet series, but i prefer them to be dead rather than butchered and have its good name completly ruined.

and so far, EA didn’t ruin FPS sereis…

Aug 09, 2013 at 05:41AM EDT
Quote

@JJ

no one cares about sports games. the reason why they are released every year is simply to update the new teams and players.

I don’t think they would be doing this if there wasn’t a significant amount of interest in them that turned a profit

charging 10$ for buying a used games is actually understandle, totalbiscuit explained that used games is what hurts the game industry the most.

And not piracy? What? Where did Totalbiscuit say this?

butchered and have its good name completly ruined.

Dude, they’re already butchered and have no good name at all. EA is universally despised for their seedy business practices and defiance of gamer culture. They’re so shoddy that they managed to get an award for being the worst company of the year even though BP and Mobil made vastly greater criminal acts. When your invasive DRM overshadows catastrophic oil spills, you are doing something wrong.

Last edited Aug 09, 2013 at 05:49AM EDT
Aug 09, 2013 at 05:47AM EDT
Quote

This is why I don’t let any kids in the house near any “Modern Gunfare Blacks at War Ops 4” games.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:11AM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@JJ

no one cares about sports games. the reason why they are released every year is simply to update the new teams and players.

I don’t think they would be doing this if there wasn’t a significant amount of interest in them that turned a profit

charging 10$ for buying a used games is actually understandle, totalbiscuit explained that used games is what hurts the game industry the most.

And not piracy? What? Where did Totalbiscuit say this?

butchered and have its good name completly ruined.

Dude, they’re already butchered and have no good name at all. EA is universally despised for their seedy business practices and defiance of gamer culture. They’re so shoddy that they managed to get an award for being the worst company of the year even though BP and Mobil made vastly greater criminal acts. When your invasive DRM overshadows catastrophic oil spills, you are doing something wrong.

here’s the original video, interpret as you will

Aug 09, 2013 at 07:01AM EDT
Quote

@Silver

He’s saying that used games are not necessary important nor beneficial to the games industry. It’s something that benefits the end user, but not the producers. He’s also pointing out how using used games is not comparable to any other context of used produce. All I agree with. The used game market is a leftover from 90’s gaming. It will be outmoded in time. Us PC gamers already don’t need it

But I don’t see where he’s comparing it to piracy, shovelwave, conflicting standards, leaks, exclusivity and bigger publishers consuming the smaller ones and saying it’s the one thing damaging the industry the most. He rips on Gamestop more.

Last edited Aug 09, 2013 at 08:39AM EDT
Aug 09, 2013 at 08:35AM EDT
Quote

@Blue
oh, i wasn’t paying attention then. i just saw ‘totalbuiscuit’ and ‘used games’ and looked for the video

i’d say used games don’t hurt as much as other factors.

No this isn’t a placeholder price, a recent blog post by UK retailer GAME confirmed EA games will cost £55 next gen. How much will PlayStation 4 games cost? At present, the only publisher to confirm costs of their next generation games are EA, attaching a price of £54.99. No other game prices have been confirmed. Now in case you’re wondering £55 is roughly $80USD!

EA, ladies and gentlemen. The company who’s CEO said games were too expensive and the default $59 price model needed to die are now going to be charging British gamers $80 a pop, and have recently increased prices on Origin in India from around $25 to around $60, despite the fact that Indian gamers have less income on average than western gamers.
Link

Last edited Aug 09, 2013 at 11:07AM EDT
Aug 09, 2013 at 11:01AM EDT
Quote

Durandal Sohvik wrote:

> Implying Call of Duty was ever a good game
> Implying Call of Duty was ground breaking
> Implying Call of Duty wasn’t a ’kid’s game’ before

Good one, OP.

Call of Duty, like its copycats, is a mediocre gaming experience that glorified the American military in the modern age, and justified American patriotism and paranoia. Have you never noticed that just about every game pits you against three sorts of enemies – Middle Eastern Terrorists, Russians, and the Chinese? It does nothing but imply that somehow these groups of people are out to get us, and have been for some time, while at the same time glorifying the American military and its effectiveness. I’m not saying that it’s propaganda, but god damn does it do a great job at implying that somehow these guys are still ‘the enemy’, whilst also assuming that any of the schemers that star in these games would have enough power to cause that much unrest.

And don’t come at me with the multiplayer experience. Sure, it may have been great, but it did little more than build off of Halo’s multiplayer experience. Call of Duty isn’t worthy of its praise.

Far be it from me to defend this series, but did you ever even play the Modern Warfare campaigns?
The protagonists of it are fucking British. The entire plot of the series was a war engineered by an American against Russia.
Never does it imply that all Russians, Chinese or What-have-yous are out to destroy the US.

Aug 09, 2013 at 03:03PM EDT
Quote

I’ll just leave these here.






Final verdict: Spunkgargleweewee

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:28PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!