Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Internet Browser General

Last posted Aug 20, 2013 at 12:55PM EDT. Added Aug 13, 2013 at 07:24AM EDT
50 posts from 30 users

Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis wrote:

Using IE for the simple reason of not wanting to be bogged down with add-ons (and I don't have Chrome. Firefox would count as bogged down with add-ons right now.)

>2011+2
>ISHYGDDT

I like Chrome myself.

FF23.0 on PC
Chrome on MBP (10.8.3) / FF23.0 (Win7 Bootcamp)
Dolphin on Android
Safari on iOS

IE10 and 11 are both great browsers

Last edited Aug 13, 2013 at 11:58AM EDT

I used Firefox at first, because it had some useful features that wouldn't work in combination with Chrome which just made my browsing a bit easier. But over time Firefox started to lack other things Chrome had which I started to come across more often.

So I switched to Chrome, for a year and a half now I believe.

Internet Explorer is fine for the most part. Not excellent, but fine. Chrom just takes up too much Ram.

So yes. I use Firefox. Because they where the first to support Ad Blocker Plugins.

@TARDISES

Using IE for the simple reason of not wanting to be bogged down with add-ons (and I don’t have Chrome. Firefox would count as bogged down with add-ons right now.)

I don't quite understand this argument. You don't have to use add-ons with firefox. It works fine with just the core. Plus all add-ons can be enabled or disabled.

IE is the same. Comes with tons of add-ons but again, they are optional.

@Nats

Chrom just takes up too much Ram

Each tab in chrome counts as another instance of the application as far as Windows is concerned, taking up an average of 90MB each. But that's never an issue if you have a 64bit system with 4GB of ram

@RM

I used to be a devoted Firefox user as well before switching to Chrome. I find Chrome superior for a number of reasons:

1. Firefox was great with all it's support for development tools, but over time I found that Chrome is just as useful to a web developer as Firefox is. Plus it's tools are integrated while with Firefox, they are add-ons

2. I test websites in all 5 major browsers: IE, Opera, Safari, Chome and FF. Guess which one has the least problems with scripting and CSS. Chrome by a longshot! It handles everything you throw at it. Conversely, IE has the worst problems with scripting and CSS, and struggles with just about everything

3. Chrome is faster. This has been proven in numerous benchmarks, it beats Safari by a tiny margin but beats Firefox and IE by a lot in terms of speed.

There's only one drawback to Chrome that I know of: It spies on you. Google knows eeeeeeverything you do. So if you want to do something you'd rather not have an overlording corporation know about….like, oh say….pirating music or whatever…then best to use Firefox

All that said, Firefox is still a respectable browser and it still has lots of great tools for development and more, that Chrome doesn't have.

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 12:27AM EDT

@Katie

From my task manager:

Image name Memory (Private working set)
chrome.exe*32      92,232K
chrome.exe*32 85,380K
chrome.exe*32 34,368K
chrome.exe*32 81,728K
chrome.exe*32 90,044K
iexplore.exe*32 95,856K
firefox.exe*32 140,148K
Safari.exe*32 84,740K

All browsers have 4 open tabs

Remember that it also differs based on what other applications are running and also what you are currently viewing on the tab. But I usually see it hover around 90MB. The worst I see it ever get it get 110MB and the lowest it gets is 20MB. Your results may vary.

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 12:42AM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

No.
Though I hear it has the best HTML5 performance

Well Maxthon supports both Trident and WebKit rendering engines.

I tried Maxthon before, but I wasn't particularly enamoured by it. I still prefered the speed and UI of Chrome

I also tried Rockmelt which is basically Chrome with built in support for Facebook and Tumblr, but the constant connectivity to social networking sites slows it down. Plus I don't need to use Facebook that badly

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I tried Maxthon before, but I wasn't particularly enamoured by it. I still prefered the speed and UI of Chrome

I also tried Rockmelt which is basically Chrome with built in support for Facebook and Tumblr, but the constant connectivity to social networking sites slows it down. Plus I don't need to use Facebook that badly

What's the version of your Maxthon? I'm currently using the most recent version, v4.1.0.4000.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

RockMelt got terminated anyway.

I mainly found it useful for feeds and Twitter, and integrated FB chats.

Sadly, Flock is never coming back.

Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis wrote:

Using IE for the simple reason of not wanting to be bogged down with add-ons (and I don't have Chrome. Firefox would count as bogged down with add-ons right now.)

Solutions:
1) Safari – extremely lightweight, stable, really fast
2) Chrome sans addons
3) Firefox with all addons disabled

As for the people whining about Chrome tracking you: That's optional. You can disable it in the settings (additionally, it asks you whether it's okay when you run the installer).
If you're really paranoid, just use Iron.

As for why Chrome uses more RAM: Chrome uses individual processes to compartmentalize tabs, plugins, extensions, and apps so that if anything crashes the entire session isn't lost. I can understand why people with little RAM or people running inferior kernels would be concerned with this, but for the most part it's a good thing.
Here's what the total of the processes looks like for me with 13 tabs open, 32 extensions running, and Flash content loaded:

Not bad, no? I have 8GB of RAM, so it can do this. If you don't have enough RAM, it'll take care of it for you.

Snarb wrote:

Solutions:
1) Safari – extremely lightweight, stable, really fast
2) Chrome sans addons
3) Firefox with all addons disabled

As for the people whining about Chrome tracking you: That's optional. You can disable it in the settings (additionally, it asks you whether it's okay when you run the installer).
If you're really paranoid, just use Iron.

As for why Chrome uses more RAM: Chrome uses individual processes to compartmentalize tabs, plugins, extensions, and apps so that if anything crashes the entire session isn't lost. I can understand why people with little RAM or people running inferior kernels would be concerned with this, but for the most part it's a good thing.
Here's what the total of the processes looks like for me with 13 tabs open, 32 extensions running, and Flash content loaded:

Not bad, no? I have 8GB of RAM, so it can do this. If you don't have enough RAM, it'll take care of it for you.

What extensions do you have?

Gotta go with Firefox. Sure it leaks memory like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil, but at least Flash doesn't crash every twenty minutes glares at Chrome. Plus
>muh Downloadhelper
>muh Scrapbook
>muh fully functional Adblock+
>muh Avast antivirus site rating thing that I never use

Pic related

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 06:25AM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

What extensions do you have?

• Google Translate
  • 4chan Lurk
  • 4chan Plus
  • Adblock Plus (works fine, I have no idea what you're talking about xTSGx)
  • Adf.ly Skipper
  • Awesome New Tab Page
  • Bitly
  • Chrome YouTube Downloader (sideloaded (if you want to know how to do this, ask me))
  • CIRC (lightweight Chrome IRC client)
  • Craigslist Preview
  • Craigslist Fancy Preview (these have different functionalities, so I'm forced to use both)
  • Cut the Rope
  • Edit This Cookie (do not mess with this unless you know what you're doing)
  • Embedly (enhances Twitter)
  • ExHentai Easy (sideloaded)
  • Google +1 Button (allows you to +1 and share pages without +1 buttons)
  • Google Voice (very useful if you use Google Voice)
  • Hover Zoom (loads full-size images on hover, has keyboard shortcuts to save and open in new tab (install this right now))
  • Meta-Tile Widget
  • Music Plus for Google Play Music (mini-player for Play Music for controlling playback without interrupting workflow)
  • NotNotFound (auto-redirect to archived pages on 404)
  • Reddit Enhancement Suite
  • Save to Drive
  • Social Translate (useful if you follow people who speak other languages)
  • Tab Exposé
  • Tineye
  • Tweetdeck
  • Ultimate YouTube Downloader (sideloaded (in the event the other one fails, this one is used))
  • WOT
  • Reditr
  • NotScripts

@Blue Screen:

That's still twice as much as Firefox with the same number of tabs. However, that by itself isn't the problem. My problem comes from simultaneous usage of CPU/Ram Heavy Applications, making Chrom undesirable.

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 04:56PM EDT

Papa Coolface wrote:

Macfag master race. Computer virus? What's that? System error? Never heard of it.

Edit: No, I don't hate people that use Macbooks. I'm just joking around here.

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 05:28PM EDT

Am I really going to be the first person to say that people ought to just use whatever feels comfortable to them and not fight over browser superiority? I use Chrome most of the time, but I've tried all the major browsers, and these days they all seem to work fairly nice.

@Brucker

Hey you! Read the sign!

Browser debates are mandatory in any concentration of geeks and nerds. It is a rite of passage. A proof of your non-casualness

You must choose a master race and fight for the highly subjective reasons for using it like a true netizen. This is how we maintain balance in the force and overcompensate for our insecurity issues…if you choose not to accept this basic responsibility, then go be casual somewhere else

Last edited Aug 19, 2013 at 05:51AM EDT

@BSoD:

Sorry, I was going to ream you on your atrocious grammar, and decided not to. Next time I'll hopefully know better.

NCSA Mosaic! Let's go oldschool!

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!