Forums / Discussion / General

171,763 total conversations in 5,633 threads

+ New Thread

underrated game corner

Last posted Aug 28, 2013 at 08:18PM EDT. Added Aug 27, 2013 at 11:21AM EDT
15 posts from 11 users

there are a lot of awesome video games that a lot of people missed because they didn’t get good publicity.
everyone has an underrated game or two that they absolutly love.

so i think it would be a good thread for sharing underrated video games, so that all can enjoy their undiscovered goodness

here’s how it should work:

-user posts about an underrated video game that they like and explain why they think the game is awesome. should also provide with download links or somesuch.

-other users download that game and give it a try. and then review their experience.

NOTE: this is for REAL underrated games, not famous ones like rocket knight or splatterhouse. this is for those games people barely know about.

so ill stat with my two games:

Hexen II:

An amazing FPS set in medival fantasy world, it’s most interesting aspect is that you can free roam between levels. instead of just going a straight path there is a long series of puzzles and and require you to backtrack from level to level, untill you get to the next world – very much like metroid.

you can choose from 4 different classes that each has it’s uniqe weapons and abilities.
you have a wide veriety of artifacts you can collect and use to turn the tide of battle in your favor.

the enemies in this game are what truly make this game awesome. instead of braindead bots who just go forward the enemies are very tough and challanging, you will always need to be on your toes because they will throw a new trick at you at every turn.
i really recommend downloading this game.

you can get it for 2$ on staem but i wouldn’t recommend it since ID didn’t do anything to make this game run properly on modern machines.

i would suggest to download it form an old games websites, it’s easy.

second game i would like to suggest is Doom Troopers on the SNES

a great side scroller. the graphics for the SNES are awesome, especially with all the gore and mutilations
in the game you have cool moves instead of just shooting, you have a melee attack and a grab move.
every enemy requiers a different strategy to beat and aproaching an an enemy in the wrong way will hurt a lot. so there is a good bit of tactics and strategy invloved as well as shooting and spilling blood.

download the game from any emulation website such as rom-world.com

so any underrated games you have to recomend?

Last edited Aug 27, 2013 at 11:25AM EDT
Aug 27, 2013 at 11:21AM EDT

It has been a while since someone posted these.
And again, we should spoiler and whatnot.

The game is really really short, and it might get a bit frustrating at first. But while the game lasted, I truly enjoyed it.
The battle system was simple, but a bit hard to master. The Health system was also cool: You get Stamina, Mental Energy and Health. If your health gets low, you must get Stamina and Health over 90 and you’ll slowly recover energy. Stamina is useful only when force opening a couple of doors, and if you run out of Mental Energy, you’ll faint and might get some stuff stolen.
Some people said the game had bad music because at a point you’ll meet some rockstars, and they play stereotypical Punk Rock, some kind of Emo Rock and Hard Rock. But the BGM, some songs and the game over song are pretty damn creative. The stereotypical stars were obviously just mocking the 80’s.
You are a video producer and spend a million dollars on a tower that teleports into the Distortion Dimension, where everything is Rock and Roll.
After waking up, you have to go out, record everything, go back to your tower and make music videos. Making music videos was actually pretty easy, and only frustrating when the song was too long. You had a library with a ton of books at your disposal: some with minigames, some with background story about the characters and the dimension, and some just about help and tips. You had your automatic kitchen where you could make sandwiches and drinks with quite a lot of ingredients.
And lastly, the humor. It wasn’t the big thing, but it gave the characters some presonality.
The atmosphere is what makes this game so great.
Last edited Aug 27, 2013 at 02:22PM EDT
Aug 27, 2013 at 02:20PM EDT

Lets see here…

Wario Land Series
I always loved these games because they did two things I think are revolutionary: They put you as the bad guy, and they made you feel empowered. The games always have a basis around coin collection, but in the case of 2 and 3, it’s completely optional. If you get hit, you just get a simple slap on the wrist – no Game Overs, you just get deducted a few coins. Sure, you don’t get the best ending if you don’t do well, but you had fun, right?

Power Stone 2
A great case of the second being WAAAAY more awesome than the first. Basically, it was 3D Smash Bros with a focus on items and item collection. In the sequel, they introduced a new Story Mode and a new Item Shop, where you could buy or even COMBINE things into new items, adding way more replay value to what would otherwise be a simple party-brawler.

We Love Katamari
Easy to learn, hard to master, fun no matter your skill level. The original Katamari was a mere appetizer compared to the feast that is We Love Katamari. This crazy game has you preforming missions based off of fans’ requests – ranging from rolling up sweets to fattening up a sumo wrestler. There was a lot of variety and, of course, a whole lot of the Katamari series-brand of humor. Something just… ROLLS me into it, you know?

Pacman Championship Edition DX
It’s short, sure, but it’s probably the best gaming experience I’ve ever had. Take Pacman, add an INFINITE amount of dots, put ghosts INSIDE of the maze, and have them chase him in a conga line, and you’ve got perhaps the best new-age arcade classic around. Be wary, though! The non-DX version is incredibly broken!

And finally, Tokyo Jungle
Imagine a post-apocalyptic world, where every animal but humans roam free within cities and parks. That is the premise of Tokyo Jungle. Your goal is to survive and reproduce – but it certainly isn’t easy. Predators will try to kill you for food, and others might just hate your guts. Plus, finding just the right partner is an adventure all its own. The game mostly lends itself to hilarious moments – you could play as a goddamn ELEPHANT and still get owned by CHICKENS, man! That’s hard to top!

Aug 27, 2013 at 03:25PM EDT

Super Monday Night Combat: It’s a MOBA that is similar to TF2 in gameplay, but hardly anyone plays it.

Aug 27, 2013 at 04:20PM EDT

Not that people don’t know about it, but it’s severely overshadowed by others in the franchise.

Last edited Aug 27, 2013 at 05:37PM EDT
Aug 27, 2013 at 05:35PM EDT

This game… THIS game!
Imagine if SAW was created in Japan. It is presented as a visual novel but it’s filled with tons of clever puzzles to solve. It’s narrative is tense and, depending on how well you get along with the protagonists, there’ll be decisive choices that might change everything in unexpected ways.

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:16PM EDT

Necromagenvion wrote:

This game… THIS game!
Imagine if SAW was created in Japan. It is presented as a visual novel but it’s filled with tons of clever puzzles to solve. It’s narrative is tense and, depending on how well you get along with the protagonists, there’ll be decisive choices that might change everything in unexpected ways.

999’s sequel, Virtue’s Last Reward, is also really well-done and adds perfectly to the first. It’s also my favorite game ever so there’s that.

Aug 27, 2013 at 08:26PM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

Not that people don’t know about it, but it’s severely overshadowed by others in the franchise.

That’s the one that is really Final Fantasy IV, right?

Or did you mean The one that’s actually Final Fantasy II?

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:05PM EDT

Serious Business wrote:

That’s the one that is really Final Fantasy IV, right?

Or did you mean The one that’s actually Final Fantasy II?

It’s IV, but since I’ve only played the SNES version I refer to it as II when playing it.

Aug 27, 2013 at 09:33PM EDT
  • Halloween Harry – an old Apogee DOS game with a wannabe Duke Nukem frying zombies with a flamethrower, but it was fun. It sold so poorly that they changed the name to “Alien Carnage” and tried to relaunch it.
  • Hidden Agenda – an older DOS RPG that you’ve probably never heard of unless you’ve heard me talking about it. You get to be El Presidente of a Central American dictatorship just after the revolution. Try not to get overthrown.
  • The Warrior of Ras series – a series of conventional D&D-style RPGs with procedurally generated maps and the ability to target different body locations on your enemy. It was smart enough that you could tell it to hit your enemy in the balls or ass and it would translate that to “abdomen”. In Wylde, you could fight multiple enemies at once and you could even save your game to a cassette tape if you had the right equipment. It was great for the early 1980s. Today? You’d laugh.
  • Factor X – a gloriously bloody fast-action massacre with a hot-chick protagonist and some plotline about time travel to justify killing everything in sight.
  • X-Evil – run and gun in a randomly-generated platformer arena in Hell. The different characters have different powers: the hero can recover some health, the ninja can climb walls, and the helicopter kid can fly and drop weights on people if you time it right. There are lots of different weapons and powerups.
  • Zeliard – A PC action RPG that my friends absolutely hated because you take collision damage on every frame with no invincibility period and the knockbacks are anger-inducing. Once you get used to the gameplay quirks, you’ll find a complex and detailed world (for 1990) with well-drawn cutscenes, although the level art looks like someone barfed on it.
  • Hellfighter – Top-down starfighter action. Many different fighter types. No respawning. Half of the fun is editing your own scenario files.
  • Pendulous – A simple and fun strategy game. Having pieces nearby improves your chance of taking a square. That’s about it. Go forth and conquer.
  • Destruction Zone – Upgrade your tank and fight an endless series of battles. It’s like someone crossed Atari Combat with Scorched Earth.
  • XKobo – Addicting top-down starfighter action where you tear apart space stations a piece at a time by shooting the weak points at their extremeties.
  • Heroes – A Snake game with powerups and good sound and graphics. There’s not much more to say about it than that, but I play it and a few hours have gone by.
Last edited Aug 28, 2013 at 01:11AM EDT
Aug 28, 2013 at 01:09AM EDT

thank you warrior tang, the game you suggested are awesome indeed, and the site that you gave – abadonia, is fantastic. my childhood lives once more!

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:48AM EDT

The elder scrolls, Skyrim. A good game not many people have played but its really fun.

Aug 28, 2013 at 07:32AM EDT

In this thread…

I’m just teasing, I like lots of obscure games too.

Aug 28, 2013 at 01:06PM EDT

Cale wrote:

Master of Orion Master Race

You made a typo that broke the embed, let me help you

Aug 28, 2013 at 08:18PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!