Forums / Discussion / General

232,746 total conversations in 7,781 threads

+ New Thread

FireFox

Last posted Nov 13, 2009 at 08:55AM EST. Added Nov 11, 2009 at 06:27PM EST
27 posts from 13 users

k.. i finally decided to get firefox. and i love it. stop laughing Jostin
and i just want to know.
what are some good Add ons that a channer would need..

ps. i allready have downloadthemall , noscript, and adblock.

IE's rendering engine sucks. Firefox's is awesome.

Also, what version are you running?

Lastly, I recommend Personas, FoxyProxy (if you have Privoxy or Proximizer, this need not apply), Tor button (if you have Tor), NetVideo Hunter (only supports .flv files, but good for downloading videos), and FireGestures. Note that some of these add-ons don't work with 3.6b2 and up (though versions 3.6b2 and up have native support for Personas).

@Jamie:
Same.
I've got Firefox "Minefield" 3.7a1pre right now. A lot of my addons don't work, though. Understandable considering the fact that it's not even in Alpha yet. But man is it fast. Really fast. Faster than Chrome.
Speaking of Chrome, right now I've got Chrome 4.0.223.16 Beta. Fast. Also, themes! (Finally.)
I've been considering subscribing to the developer builds, though. Still not sure.

As a last resort, Safari 4. It's a fast, stable browser (it stutters on Flash, and sometimes doesn't render things properly, but it's not that bad).

@Hector:
What kinds of addons are you looking for?

Look up the speed tweaks and do them (about:cache), I would also get rid of the dotted focus lines and the vertical scrollbar if you use your mouse for scrolling.

Addons:
iMacros
Simple Boss Key
Stylish
Tab mix plus
Xmarks
Betterprivacy

@Real Genius:
You can subscribe to either the Beta or Developer channels to get the latest beta or developer's build of Chrome. The instructions are at http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

You can also get the latest trunk build of Mozilla Firefox 3.7 here, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you're doing.

Also, I just subscribed to the Chromium Developer Channel. I've got Chrome 4.0.237.0 Alpha now. Noticeable difference in speed. Also, it seems to render pages quicker. But, it's still considerably slower than Firefox 3.7.

@Tomberry:
I haven't tested it thoroughly yet, but so far it's not half bad. It got a 100/100 on the Acid3 test, and it conforms to most Web 2.0 standards. It's pretty fast as well. It's speed is comparable to Firefox 3.7a1pre or Chromium 4.0.137.0.
It also starts really fast. Not as fast as Chrome, but it's faster than Firefox 3.5.5 and 3.7a1pre. This could possibly be attributed to my addons, though.

There is a problem with scripts, though. It doesn't render AJAX properly, and it stutters with Flash, Java, and JavaScript. It will render them, just improperly and slowly.

It does have a rather interesting feature, though, it has what Opera calls "Turbo Boost", which is their way of saying that it supports server-side compression. It makes a huge difference when loading large pages, but graphics loose quality.

Overall, it's not a bad browser. It's great for things like HTML-based websites, but not for webapps. The main reason is the rendering engine. Presto, the same rendering engine used in Opera-based mobile browsers (Nintendo DS Browser, Wii's Internet Channel, certain Sybian-based phones, and some dumbphones) is also used in their desktop application. Until they fix it, I'll stick with Gecko and Webkit based browsers, thank you very much.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!