Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Google map as a meme ?

Last posted Nov 12, 2009 at 11:10PM EST. Added Nov 11, 2009 at 06:46PM EST
22 posts from 7 users

I don't know if that counts as a meme but, since Google map was created, there have been tons of strange and funny pictures from given places:

Some pictures must have been completely modified but some other seems real.

Do you think it worths an entry, just like Google search box ?

Now that I've do a little more research, it seems that it's more about researcher communities that tried to find every single strange place seen from Google earth/map/street views and to reveal it to the Internet.
There are many videos, blogs, pictures, YMNDs with decent views counts but I've seen little alterations focusing on creating fake weird places more than the software itself…

I say you should go for it. The Google Search Box Suggestions don't necessarily require a person to alter the suggestions and/or create their own versions on an Adobe software but rely more on real ridiculous things that people try to search on Google that other people discover out of luck. It's no different to the idea of looking for strange landmarks and making screencaps of them. Also, if there really are several instances of videos, blogs, pictures, and YTMNDs of this proposed meme with decent view counts like you say there are, then I think this is something definitely worth documenting and would be a great article for KYM.

College Humor that made fun of it ?
Definitely relevant.
I'm on it.
Also, Jostin, I've seen a couple of pictures parodying that "A" google pointer. Sad that it is not really related to what I was talking about.

@ Frketson and Redspear

How is Google Search Box Suggestions any different? That meme's just all about people looking for funny quotes searched on Google, well basically.

Just @ Fkretson

Also, don't worry. No one said these kinds of things would be easy. Like Chris has been stressing for a long time:

To be honest, the definition of a meme is really vague, constantly changing, and always evolving. The better question to ask is “is it worth documenting?”

I would say that some people on internet were attracted to something google map, google earth and street view weren't initially meant for.
They found things that can be seen from Space, or funny things caught on pictures that have nothing to do with maps.
Because of that, communities were created to specialize in finding more strange and/or funny pictures taken from that software.

There are UFOs, crop circles, strange buildings, people caught half naked, having a car crash or doing all sort of funny things.
From this, it's not really different from the Google Suggestion thing I guess.

I can be wrong though.

Yeah its not, so in reality that shouldnt be a meme either. For me it was always derivatives = meme.

BUT

Now its seeming like if its a really popular thing, some sort of fad or whatever that EVERYONE is doing that can be considered a meme. I'm fine with that but yeah, my mind melts when i try and confirm whether something is a meme or not.

I think that is why this site exists. It helps non-members who know nothing about what an internet meme is to have even the slightest idea as to what one can define as an internet meme and site examples of it. It is our job to present to the internet what we, as a collective mind constantly in debate, define as an internet meme for the unknowing anonymous that bother to lurk moar. Internets is serious business, you know.

i believe that like perfectly timed pictures, this idea is popular on the internet, but not a meme. Just because something is popular, such as twitter or google maps, doesn't mean that its meme worthy. or maybe it's like "remember me" in the sense that it is a meme but a work in progress.

@Redspear, I'm sure that is a link to either Duckroll, Rickroll, or Goatse.
You fail. I can tell and I haven't clicked the link. Try harder next time.
@everyone Tell google maps to give directions between Los Angeles and Sydney, Australia. You'll be amused.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!