Forums / Discussion / General

171,269 total conversations in 5,502 threads

+ New Thread


obnoxious atheists... why? just why.

Last posted Sep 29, 2013 at 03:25PM EDT. Added Sep 11, 2013 at 04:15AM EDT
29 posts from 22 users

(just to clarify, atheists are cool, those who preach it and insult others are not)

what is the point of these guys? what do they hope to achieve by insulting and verbally bashing people with beliefs?

i mean, any other hatedom at least know they are obnoxious but just don’t care. but the religion bashers behave like they are on some holy war to make the world a better place.

i know it’s just a small vocal group but when they round up in large groups and just go attack any place that talks about any religion. it just makes me feel queasy.
this is especially evident among Jewish atheists believe it or not, just now went to the local news site and in an article about some holiday and bam,
like 50 or so comments each with about 20 thumbs up all about “fucking primitive religious people, you take our country to hell” and “religion is a mental disease”

all about an innocent discussion about a holiday…

i know they are just a very unified minority, but it still bears the question, why do they do this? what do they hope to achieve? how do they not realize they are giving a bad name to the rest of the atheists and make themselves look like complete assholes?

now i know the same can be said about religious people as well, but that’s different matter, my question still stands, also they are already denounced by most of the sane world and therefore learned to keep their mouths shut…

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:15AM EDT
Quote

Well as a Catholic turned Atheist turned Agnostic turned Clockwork Deist, I can personally say that I had two things that bothered me about religion (which don’t anymore):

1. Morality: It’s fairly obvious that many things in most holy books taken at face value seem pretty awful (Kill gays, don’t be seen in public on your period), and to an outside perspective one would wonder who practices this. Except most people don’t, but the connection remains with negative connotation.

2. Deviance: When I told people I was an Atheist in High School (and remember this is me personally, not an idea of what all Christians are), I was pretty much excommunicated from all social groups and got “pranked” frequently (ha ha ha wow you punched me in my face that’s a good one). In America at least, non-Christian practices are looked down on. There’s a more widely accepted negative view of atheists, which becomes self-fulfilling prophecy as far as I’ve seen, a lot of dick atheists being dicks because of dick Christians.

That’s my two cents.

Sep 11, 2013 at 07:52AM EDT
Quote

Jolly Jew wrote:

what is the point of these guys? what do they hope to achieve by insulting and verbally bashing people with beliefs?

Similarly, what’s the point of obnoxious believers? What do they hope to achieve by insulting and verbally bashing people who don’t follow a religion or one different then them?

Not saying I hate religion, just pointing out that either side is just as bad.

now i know the same can be said about religious people as well, but that’s different matter, my question still stands

How so? This is nothing more than a case of people having different opinions but a minority just being unable to fucking deal with the fact that people can have different opinions that might clash with theirs. The question here isn’t what’s up with obnoxious atheists, it’s what’s up with obnoxious people and their opinions. Just as haters gonna hate, obnoxious douchebags gonna be obnoxious.

If someone wants to believe in a religion, let them. If someone believes religion isn’t needed, let them as well. But just respect each others wishes and believes.

they (obnoxious religious people) are already denounced by most of the sane world and therefore learned to keep their mouths shut…

I’m fairly certain most prefer to have atheist douchebags to keep their mouths shut as well.

And also Westboro Baptist Church, those never shut up.

Last edited Sep 11, 2013 at 08:26AM EDT
Sep 11, 2013 at 08:23AM EDT
Quote

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me that obnoxious atheists aren’t really that different from obnoxious theists. They exist, behave and treat others for pretty much the same basic reasons as any obnoxious theist will.

And the more I think about that, the more I realise that it boils down to just either side basically considering themselves smarter and more knowledgeable than the other. That basic sentiment seems to lie at the root core of obnoxiousness

And the more I think about that, the more I conclude that there really isn’t anything about theism or atheism specifically that results in why such obnoxious people exist in both camps.

Instead, (A)Thiests who are obnoxious were simply obnoxious people to begin with

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:25AM EDT
Quote

random, im not backing up obnoxious belivers, i hate them just as much. but at least these guys know that are being intolorant assholes.
westboro chruch for example admit it out loud “god isn’t merciful, he will send all the sinners to hell and they gonna know that” i heard one of em say in a video i saw about them.

but the obnoxious atheiest genuinly belive they are “fighting the good fight” and doing the world a favoer. they hyppocritically claim that they are combating racism, intolorance and close-mindness.

and for the record, right now there are far more obnoxious atheists than religious ones, on the internet i never seen once someone being insulted for not believing in anything (other than the flying spagetty monster)

also lets not forget that the media (other than fox news) hates religion and bashes it at every given opportunity (“omfg a religious guy asked a woman not to sit next to him! le gasp”) giving a fertile ground to the OA

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:46AM EDT
Quote

If I may be so bold, what constitutes the definition of “obnoxious”? Because I think everyone here is going to agree that berating, marginalizing, and mocking people is wrong, but a key part of my religion is proselytizing. I’m commanded in my holy book to tell people about what it teaches. I’m not trying to be obnoxious in doing so, but many may take it that way. and I don’t think it would be right to disobey what I believe to be a higher authority just because someone wouldn’t necessarily be comfortable with it. I understand folks like WBC are wrong, and everyone would agree. But could you say that, just because I have a moral obligation based on my beliefs to share those beliefs, I’m being obnoxious?

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:56AM EDT
Quote

I’d wager most “militant” atheists grew up in very religious households/communities and got real sick of their shit.

At least they’re not like militant theists, with their jihads and inquisitions and other pleasant activities.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:45AM EDT
Quote

The thing is, Jolly, the Westboro Baptists do think they’re “fighting the good fight.” I heard a radio interview with a former member and she said what was taught to them was that they were trying to save souls, they were trying to teach the people the error of their ways so they might be ‘saved.’ They don’t do it an a remotely orthodox or acceptable way, but they’re trying help in their own fucked up way.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:03PM EDT
Quote

i think we are spreading the topic a bit too wide.

it’s better we discuss the ones who are on the internet rather than the ones in real life, since it’s you know… our habitat…

and intresretingly enough, from some odd reason obnoxious belivers are very rare on the internet, while obnoxious atheists are very common.

it’s very easy for them to round up in groups and verbally assualt religious people, especially through facebook and youtube comments with all that like/thumb systems.

so religious preachers are so rare on the internet, why do these atheists insist on bashing people with different beliefs? and furthermore, how do they so shamlessly repeat their disgusting mantras that “relgion is a mental desase” and “religous people are primitive retards”?

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:13PM EDT
Quote

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

If I may be so bold, what constitutes the definition of “obnoxious”? Because I think everyone here is going to agree that berating, marginalizing, and mocking people is wrong, but a key part of my religion is proselytizing. I’m commanded in my holy book to tell people about what it teaches. I’m not trying to be obnoxious in doing so, but many may take it that way. and I don’t think it would be right to disobey what I believe to be a higher authority just because someone wouldn’t necessarily be comfortable with it. I understand folks like WBC are wrong, and everyone would agree. But could you say that, just because I have a moral obligation based on my beliefs to share those beliefs, I’m being obnoxious?

Just about a month ago, me and my brother (both atheists) were going somewhere. Not in a rush, but trying to step it up a bit.
And we met with a Jehova’s Witness. He stopped us and shared 2 small magazines: One about Porn being bad, and the other about Human’s life.
I accept this kind of stuff, but then he started talking about God, why porn is wrong, and why He has a plan for us.
At some point, my brother told him we were atheists, and so a small discussion started.

He has a plan for us. But what about people in the Middle East, the children starving in Africa, and so on? They live under the most miserable circumstances, and slowly die a horrible death.
That’s the fault of mankind. We are responsible for this. But why doesn’t he make bread fall from the sky like he did thousands of years ago, or at the very least make a giant river emerge out of nowhere so they can at least drink something?

And so on, we spent about 15 minutes. I pretended recieving a call from my mother, telling us to hurry up. We spent about 5 minutes before he could finally let us go.

Now. What’s my point with this? We were walking out of an university, and we had to go to a consulate. Luckily, we still had enough time. But what if it was someone with bigger responsibilities? Such as a student who lost a bus and was nearly missing a class? I had to fake a call in order to get out of there, and we still spent 5 minutes after that.

I don’t know if you’re like this, and I respect your beliefs. But that example I just gave is what I refer to as obnoxious.

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:31PM EDT
Quote

umm, you could just walk away and say ‘not interested’? it’s not he was holding you by your hands or anything…

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:41PM EDT
Quote

Jolly Jew wrote:

i think we are spreading the topic a bit too wide.

it’s better we discuss the ones who are on the internet rather than the ones in real life, since it’s you know… our habitat…

and intresretingly enough, from some odd reason obnoxious belivers are very rare on the internet, while obnoxious atheists are very common.

it’s very easy for them to round up in groups and verbally assualt religious people, especially through facebook and youtube comments with all that like/thumb systems.

so religious preachers are so rare on the internet, why do these atheists insist on bashing people with different beliefs? and furthermore, how do they so shamlessly repeat their disgusting mantras that “relgion is a mental desase” and “religous people are primitive retards”?

It’s quite easy to find obnoxious religious people on the internet, but you have to go to the right places to find them. A few years ago I made the mistake of getting involved in a YouTube comments section religious war, and some guy really went out of his way to tell me how much of an idiot I was (despite the fact that his assertions about evolution were scientifically inaccurate in every way). You’ll find a lot of people like that posting on religious (or anti-religious) videos.

The reason for obnoxious atheists being much more common is probably just because the sorts of people you’re likely to find on the internet are the same people who are likely to be atheists. If you also consider the fact that not everybody on the internet is American, and atheism is a lot more common in Asia and Europe, it shouldn’t be surprising that they’re in the majority here.

A reason for them being so loud could be that they feel like they’re discriminated against in their daily lives (I’ve gotten the impression that this is common in some areas of the US). When they get on the internet, suddenly they’re the ones in the majority, and they can start arguments without having to worry too much about the consequences (see: Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory). It might just serve as a form of stress release for them.

I used to be quite outspoken about my beliefs when I was in school, and it was mostly because of how ridiculously religious my school could be (even the head of our science department was a Young-Earth Creationist). After about 5 years of them constantly trying to force their religion onto me, I eventually got sick of hearing about it and started to stand up for myself (and in hindsight, I may have overdone it a little). I imagine that many internet atheists are in similar situations. They just want to fight back against a perceived threat.

Last edited Sep 11, 2013 at 04:45PM EDT
Sep 11, 2013 at 04:42PM EDT
Quote

Even though I am not an Atheist, I can see where many of them are coming from.

Namely it’s from an annoyance from the fact that a meaning is conveyed though storytelling, but the meaning is oftentimes missed completely when the people enforce or try to enforce the exact tellings of the story, and not the meaning.

At least this is what annoys me about Christianity. So I can understand to a degree why some people would “Obnoxiously” protest against it.

Last edited Sep 11, 2013 at 06:00PM EDT
Sep 11, 2013 at 05:59PM EDT
Quote

Le Bumpkin wrote:

In the world of opinions, mine is always right.

Unless it’s different than mine.

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:54PM EDT
Quote

The crux of obnoxiousness with all religious discussions, and worse yet vocal stances, is that it is addressing the core nature of what people fundamentally believe. I have been condemned to Hell by others simply for expressing doubt in their religion. The concept of deviance from what one believes true about the universe is, at best off-putting and at worst a painful blasphemy.

Therefore, all discussion and, yes, vocal opinions need to be expressed with the utmost of care. I do not advocate trying not to upset anyone (this is the internet, after all), however the driving force behind religious obnoxiousness is the underlying feeling of total infallibility tied to one’s beliefs and tethered with a cultural obliviousness to the vast panoply of views in the greater world.

At least, that’s the most common instance. Trolls will troll, too.

Last edited Sep 15, 2013 at 12:25AM EDT
Sep 15, 2013 at 12:25AM EDT
Quote

@Rene

however the driving force behind religious obnoxiousness is the underlying feeling of total infallibility tied to one’s beliefs and tethered with a cultural obliviousness to the vast panoply of views in the greater world.

That’s what I was trying to get at earlier. The core of obnoxiousness stems in believing ones own viewpoints to be absolutely superior without being able to absolutely confirm that. And since no religious philosophy can be absolutely proven; atheist or not, trying to say your viewpoint is absolutely correct will always appear obnoxious

You can make this thread about obnoxiousness over anything else in general and the arguments made here will still fit just fine.

So the point would be: While there are a lot of reasons why atheists can have very hostile, attitudes to theists (as other have pointed out) and some of those attitudes can border on obnoxiousness; we know that it has little to do with atheism itself or what it teaches people

Sep 15, 2013 at 01:33AM EDT
Quote

As far as I’m concerned believe what you want to believe but don’t force it on others.

If you try to force your beliefs on me, then we have a problem.

Sep 15, 2013 at 05:47AM EDT
Quote

religion should stay off the internet. That way we don’t have pointless flame-wars

Sep 15, 2013 at 02:56PM EDT
Quote

I’m not sure that’s true, Preston.

By denying our ability to discuss it, there is a reinforcement that the only way to bring up religion is as a violent zealot or not at all. While the ever-presence of trolls will threaten to derail and the charged nature of the debate leads to impassioned speech, it is still important that we can bring up these topics, These are the questions that drive into the very nature of the universe, and therefore the most important topics to be discussed. Civility, intellect, and care should be given to the discussion of religion, yes, but not abstinence from speech.

It is a test, but it is one that I have seen passed many times.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:01AM EDT
Quote

I’m not a fan of religion at all, but I see its purpose. I really don’t care what you believe in as long as you don’t oppress people or shove down your beliefs down my throat.

Sep 21, 2013 at 03:56AM EDT

>MFW anyone at all is obnoxious about their beliefs

Last edited Sep 21, 2013 at 04:04AM EDT
Sep 21, 2013 at 03:59AM EDT

I’ve still never met an atheist in real life

Sep 22, 2013 at 03:34PM EDT

What is obnoxious atheists are actually anti-atheists in disguise to smear other atheists?

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:34PM EDT
Quote

WELL SPEAKING OF OBNOXIOUS PEOPLE WITH OBNOXIOUS OPINIONS

it’s like the pot calling the kettle black, seriously

“Wanting people to listen, you can’t just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you’ll notice you’ve got their strict attention.”

-John Doe, Se7en

Last edited Sep 24, 2013 at 06:14PM EDT
Sep 24, 2013 at 06:03PM EDT
Quote

Jolly Jew wrote:

(just to clarify, atheists are cool, those who preach it and insult others are not)

what is the point of these guys? what do they hope to achieve by insulting and verbally bashing people with beliefs?

i mean, any other hatedom at least know they are obnoxious but just don’t care. but the religion bashers behave like they are on some holy war to make the world a better place.

i know it’s just a small vocal group but when they round up in large groups and just go attack any place that talks about any religion. it just makes me feel queasy.
this is especially evident among Jewish atheists believe it or not, just now went to the local news site and in an article about some holiday and bam,
like 50 or so comments each with about 20 thumbs up all about “fucking primitive religious people, you take our country to hell” and “religion is a mental disease”

all about an innocent discussion about a holiday…

i know they are just a very unified minority, but it still bears the question, why do they do this? what do they hope to achieve? how do they not realize they are giving a bad name to the rest of the atheists and make themselves look like complete assholes?

now i know the same can be said about religious people as well, but that’s different matter, my question still stands, also they are already denounced by most of the sane world and therefore learned to keep their mouths shut…

If you would really like to know why atheists bash theists, you need to understand the scope of inane crap that spouts from some religious people. Google ‘stupid religious people and click the first link that comes up.You’ll see some real gems there. THAT is WHY.

Sep 27, 2013 at 06:47PM EDT
Quote

I am a adherent to the lord of sunlight atheist and I tolerate all religions and if someone tried to convert me I’d say no and walkaway but when people start to be manipulative and controlling and try to use fear or other unpleasant stuff that just pisses me off. I can’t comprehend how people could believe in a all loving god but that he hates and despises people who simply love someone of their own gender.

Also when a person who follows a belief so zealously that when they are given power they use it to dictate people lives. (eg. someone gets into government and tries to prohibit gay marriage or stop other people do anything their religion doesn’t like). I know this is a rare case and al but it has happened all throughout history.

TLDR version:Pretty much what everyone else said if you’re religious that’s cool just don’t try fuck with other peoples lives.

Also this vid is slightly relevant

Sep 29, 2013 at 07:30AM EDT
Quote

I knew that Jolly Jew was the maker of this thread, by the obvious lack of upper cases.

Sep 29, 2013 at 07:34AM EDT
Quote

Preston wrote:

religion should stay off the internet. That way we don’t have pointless flame-wars

Clearly you’ve never been in a fandom.

Sep 29, 2013 at 03:25PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!