Forums / Discussion / General

232,747 total conversations in 7,781 threads

+ New Thread

Valve files Half-Life 3 trademark

Last posted Oct 03, 2013 at 04:28PM EDT. Added Oct 01, 2013 at 03:09PM EDT
20 posts from 13 users

source. It looks like Valve have registered the trademark Half-Life 3 in Europe under 'Video Game Software'. Will the fabled myth finally exist?

Oh, and inb4 Valve can't count to 3/Half-Life 3 confirmed jokes.

Last edited Oct 01, 2013 at 03:10PM EDT

Wightprincess wrote:

To be blunt, registering Half-Life 3 as a trademark doesn't really excite me at all. I always knew that they'd someday make Half-Life 3/Episode 3, and all this does is continue to remind me of that.

you can't be serious, expecter or not, half life is without a doubt one of the best FPS's of all time.

and it's sequal – one, if not THE best sequal of all time, half life 3 can blow us away.

think about it.

HL1 – awesome fps with cool feral aliens

HL2 – now expanded with a whole new dimension, a new intelligent race of aliens with extremly detailed technology and lore and turning a simple lab crisis into a whole world war.

HL3 – expand on top of ALL THAT. this will blow our minds…

or terribly dissapoint =X

Jolly Jew wrote

Half life is without a doubt one of the best FPS’s of all time.

Woah there buddy. I agree that Half-Life is a really good FPS, but not the best.
Besides, we have NO FREAKING IDEA of what will happen in HL3. Maybe it is a great game, maybe it isn't! Look at Duke Nukem Forever, 12 years in the making and look what came out.

Last edited Oct 01, 2013 at 03:47PM EDT

Hey guys, I'm not trying to say that it wasn't coming, I knew it was coming eventually as well, I only made this thread to show you guys that it might be coming soon. that inb4 Half-Life 3 confirmed thing was a joke. Sheesh cut me some slack here.

Jolly Jew wrote:

you can't be serious, expecter or not, half life is without a doubt one of the best FPS's of all time.

and it's sequal – one, if not THE best sequal of all time, half life 3 can blow us away.

think about it.

HL1 – awesome fps with cool feral aliens

HL2 – now expanded with a whole new dimension, a new intelligent race of aliens with extremly detailed technology and lore and turning a simple lab crisis into a whole world war.

HL3 – expand on top of ALL THAT. this will blow our minds…

or terribly dissapoint =X

Simmer down there, Jolly. Half-Life is one of my favorite games. Hell, Half-Life 2 in its entirety might be my absolute favorite game of all time. It's just been so long that the only thing that can excite me about a new Half-Life game is an official announcement, accompanied by a trailer and a release date.

I will settle for nothing less. I've had my heart broken too many times.

@Random21

Oh, don't worry. I wasn't jumping on you or anything. I'm just so jaded when it comes to Half-Life 3 that it's hard to expect any sort of enthusiasm out of me. I do appreciate you dropping the info, though. It's still nice to know that they're apparently mobilizing.

Last edited Oct 01, 2013 at 05:35PM EDT

Here's what I think of the whole HL3 thing:

At first I dreaded this turning into another DNF; Staying in development purgatory until a crap product was eventually created. Then I realized: the probability of this becoming another Duke Nukem Forever is slim, because there hasn't been a decent single player campaign-centric FPS since HL2 EP2, so ValvE won't encounter DNF's issue of having to constantly compete with rising FPS technology because they raised the bar, and (unfortunately) has even come close to SCRAPING that bar.
"But SirCrona, you say that there hasn't been decent FPSes since HL2, but Call of Duty is easily the best-"
COD is not the best anything, hypothetical COD fan. Don't even start with me.

Last edited Oct 01, 2013 at 05:44PM EDT

^ OP posted his source.

It's interesting to see the trademark filed but that doesn't mean a release soon. Holding the trademark is one thing but actually making plans for the project is another. Valve could just be securing the trademark so that nobody else capitalizes on the HL3CONFURMD meme for all we know. Here's hoping that I'm wrong.

I still feel that Valve is holding out on HL3 because they aren't really sure where to go with it.

HL1 and 2 and relics of a by-gone era. HL1's immersive storyline was groundbreaking in it's day and we mainly praise it due to our nostalgic memories of being Gordon Freeman. That's about it. Compare Half Life 1 to System Shock 2, both made in the same era. There were better quality games even in that time and HL only came out on top thanks to a really cool plot.

But an FPS that hinges on just that immersive quality alone as HL1 did would fail in the modern market. Nobody likes linear rail-shooters anymore and HL2 received tons of criticism for being one.

Developers are encouraged to really explore with the FPS genre. Valve responded to this by putting more focus on the teamplay elements of Team Fortress and L4D. Perhaps even finding them to be far more profitable than HL ever was.

Do they keep HL3 gameplay true to how HL always played? Or do they innovate? There's big risks both ways.

If HL3 still uses traditional HL gameplay, I'm going to be bored with it. I liked HL1 for it's immersion. But immersion in 1999 was way simpler than immersion in 2013. Now if I want immersion, HL must employ more realistic aiming, movement and interaction. The traditional HL style will not cut it. But then again, if Valve tries to do away with the "HL feel", they might piss off the loyalists. Valve could very well be stuck on that decision

Plus what could the story be at this point?

Perhaps the most important aspect of the HL series was it's canon. But where does it go after the point where HL2E2 left off? Where was it even heading to begin with? How long was the Gman planning on putting Gordon through all this crap? What exactly does he want him to accomplish? Does Gordon even know what he's doing at this point?

Last edited Oct 01, 2013 at 11:43PM EDT

I'm surprised. I would have though they'd register it years ago.

inb4 someone registers "Half Life 4" and legal shenenigins ensue. (I don't know if there's a "squatting" rule in trademark law or not.)

Last edited Oct 02, 2013 at 02:29AM EDT

xTSGx wrote:

I'm surprised. I would have though they'd register it years ago.

inb4 someone registers "Half Life 4" and legal shenenigins ensue. (I don't know if there's a "squatting" rule in trademark law or not.)

Half Life 4 confirmed!

They basically did it ya know for general copyright reasons
So no one else goes and copyrights it first of course which I don't know who would and they have meant to make one but with all this anticipation they've backed them self into a corner that if the next game isn't fucking 11/10 game of the year in every single persons mind, it might be thought of as a failure by fans which is something they definitely fear

Sir Crona Crescent Duke of Landwales wrote:

Source please for why you need sources for discrediting sources.

Source for requiring a source for needing sources to disprove a source – okay this is getting old.

Last edited Oct 02, 2013 at 05:17PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!