Forums / Discussion / General

169,847 total conversations in 5,438 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Shots Fired at the U.S. Capitol Building

Last posted Oct 07, 2013 at 10:36PM EDT. Added Oct 03, 2013 at 02:52PM EDT
30 posts from 10 users

Thread title is a bit misleading. I came in half-expecting a report of some republican in the white house going postal in light of the shutdown business. It’s less interesting than that

More like some lady driving near the white house ran into a security checkpoint and had an argument with a security team there until they called the cops

Then she decided it was smart to run from the cops…in the direction of the white house…yea…no surprise she got shot at.

So long story short: Stupid person endangers self and everyone around her over a pointless argument

PS: OP posts get one link from me. But please link your stuff

Last edited Oct 03, 2013 at 06:30PM EDT
Oct 03, 2013 at 06:25PM EDT

Thanks blue screen, the thread title made it seem like there had been a shooting.

Oct 03, 2013 at 09:50PM EDT

@Dac

Har har very funny.

I missed the part about the person getting killed. Oh crap…now I feel bad.

That makes it more serious. She shouldn’t have been running from cops but she didn’t deserve to to be shot to death by them. She didn’t pose any kind of threat and probably fled from police to escape the bullets flying at her and her kid. I expect more debates about gun control and police brutality to follow.

Her kids gonna be scarred for life.

Oct 03, 2013 at 11:24PM EDT

@Blue screen

Sorry, I phrased that wrong. I meant it made it seemed like some shots were fired by a random person and not by cops.
Anyways, that sucks she was killed. Poor kids.

Oct 03, 2013 at 11:29PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Fuck the police

Oct 03, 2013 at 11:35PM EDT

Well, I posted this thread when it was still breaking. Not much hasn’t been known at the time. As a result of my mistake, I lost two karma. Thanks guys, how about allowing us to 1. change the title and 2. get rid of the 30 minutes edit restriction.

Oct 03, 2013 at 11:57PM EDT

@Chowz

You can edit your OP now and have a compensatory karma

Dont worry about the thread title, we know what incident it’s about anyway

Oct 04, 2013 at 12:15AM EDT

While the reasoning behind killing the woman made sense to me (during government shutdown, striking an officer as well as a cruiser and a couple of police barriers with vehicle, events occurring in the area of the Capitol Building, etc.) It also seemed completely unnecessary. I’m not entirely sure how to feel about this one, seeing as I don’t even know why the woman did what she did or if she held any sort of real threat (let alone have a child in the car). I suppose I should escape now before the incoming debate on gun control strikes.

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:09AM EDT

@crimson
Well gun control plays no factor in here since the cops did all the shooting, unless we are talking about taking guns from cops as well.

Anyways, seeing the video, I think the police where justified in opening fire. The lady was given many chances to backdown, yet she kept on moving the car almost hitting various cops. I mean, as with every video where a cop opens fire, people are going to think of various things the cops could have done instead of shooting, but like they say, hindsight is 20/20 and in a situation that concerns a deadly weapon ( a car being a deadly weapon) I can’t blame them for what they did. Anyways, I wonder what she was trying to do?

Oct 04, 2013 at 02:10AM EDT

Am I the only one who kinda wanted her to get through the barricade and crash her car into the White House? It would have made this inability for the two parties to compromise government shutdown a lot more entertaining.

Oct 04, 2013 at 04:53AM EDT

Crimson Locks wrote:

While the reasoning behind killing the woman made sense to me (during government shutdown, striking an officer as well as a cruiser and a couple of police barriers with vehicle, events occurring in the area of the Capitol Building, etc.) It also seemed completely unnecessary. I’m not entirely sure how to feel about this one, seeing as I don’t even know why the woman did what she did or if she held any sort of real threat (let alone have a child in the car). I suppose I should escape now before the incoming debate on gun control strikes.

So shooting at a car with an infant inside is reasonable? I guess the Washington police don’t have spike strips.

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:54AM EDT

chowzburgerz wrote:

Well, I posted this thread when it was still breaking. Not much hasn’t been known at the time. As a result of my mistake, I lost two karma. Thanks guys, how about allowing us to 1. change the title and 2. get rid of the 30 minutes edit restriction.

1. No
2. No

Reasons for both have been given in the past already.

Oct 04, 2013 at 09:06AM EDT

Rimshot wrote:

So shooting at a car with an infant inside is reasonable? I guess the Washington police don’t have spike strips.

If you actually read the article, you would know that police claim they had no clue that a child was in the car until after the events were over.

Oct 04, 2013 at 09:12AM EDT

why the hell did nobody shoot the wheels of the car? there were clearly 4 officers + 1 plain clothes (possibly officer) that surrounded the vehicle at point blank and nobody shot the wheels.

Oct 04, 2013 at 10:34AM EDT

^Bullets ricochet you know. Like I said before, hindsight is 20/20. The important thing isn’t what they could have done instead, but if what they did was justified.

Oct 04, 2013 at 11:11AM EDT

Crimson Locks wrote:

If you actually read the article, you would know that police claim they had no clue that a child was in the car until after the events were over.

Ok, weve all seen cop chases where they are goining like 110 mph and they cansee the baby in the back seat. I call bulshit on them not seeing the baby.

Oct 04, 2013 at 12:30PM EDT

Rimshot wrote:

Ok, weve all seen cop chases where they are goining like 110 mph and they cansee the baby in the back seat. I call bulshit on them not seeing the baby.

Plus there were officers wih their heads in the car.

Oct 04, 2013 at 03:02PM EDT

@Ricky

Would you rather believe the cops saw the kid and said “20 points if you hit the baby! YEEEEHAWWW!”? Yea, no.

It’s not a stretch of the imagination to think that the baby tucked down below the seats where it couldn’t be seen by cops.

Neither is it a stretch of the imagination to think that police are so paranoid about terrorist attacks (thanks post-9/11 society!) that any vehicle rapidly approaching the white house could be suspected of being a bomb vehicle and action taken as trained.

Of course that’s not to say that what happened was justice and that the cops should have done what they did. Nobody is saying that lady deserved to die.

But had everyone known what was really going on (just a freaked out woman, not an armed offender), that lady would probably be still alive so people aren’t faulting the police entirely for their actions either. This is a case of unfortunate lack of information reported by the security guards, presumption from the cops and extremely poor decisions from the victim

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:20PM EDT

There’s some reports coming forward from eye witnessess that the baby was removed from the car by police prior to shots being fired.

Oct 06, 2013 at 07:08PM EDT

Oh look somebody karma bombed the thread proving that we are clearly all wrong on all points and that the discussion should st- [POP] Oh whoops, my sarcasm capacitor just blew a fuse.

Upvotes for everyone…except Ricky.

Oct 06, 2013 at 09:44PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Oh look somebody karma bombed the thread proving that we are clearly all wrong on all points and that the discussion should st- [POP] Oh whoops, my sarcasm capacitor just blew a fuse.

Upvotes for everyone…except Ricky.

Well, if I get downvoted for voicing my opinion dosent that mean everyone else should to? I mean thats just simple logic.

Oct 07, 2013 at 06:11PM EDT

Rimshot wrote:

Well, if I get downvoted for voicing my opinion dosent that mean everyone else should to? I mean thats just simple logic.

When your opinion is nothing but inflammatory comments then expect downvotes, it’s simple logic.

Oct 07, 2013 at 07:05PM EDT

Dac wrote:

When your opinion is nothing but inflammatory comments then expect downvotes, it’s simple logic.

Did you read my opinion? I made a good point. Go watch the eyewitness video. You can see cops sticking their heads in the vehicle. I still stand by my opinion.

Oct 07, 2013 at 07:17PM EDT

Rimshot wrote:

Fuck the police

Excellent point, thanks for the insight Ricky.

Seriously though, it’s perfectly reasonable to believe that in a hectic situation, they didnt notice a baby.

Last edited Oct 07, 2013 at 07:29PM EDT
Oct 07, 2013 at 07:27PM EDT

chowzburgerz wrote:

@Ricky

How does one shut a fuck up? I didnt know fucks talked?

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:05PM EDT

Alright stop this thread should be focused on the incident and the victims, not your personal battles.

Locking until you guys chill

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:36PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!