Forums / Discussion / General

169,402 total conversations in 5,524 threads

+ New Thread

I require assistance

Last posted Oct 22, 2013 at 10:24AM EDT. Added Oct 21, 2013 at 01:43PM EDT
15 posts from 8 users

Recently someone has implanted the Netbus server into my computer. I don’t know how to get rid of it. Does anyone know how to?
My computer uses Windows 7.

Oct 21, 2013 at 01:43PM EDT

I’m going to move this to General to get you some more useful answers. Unfortunately, I can’t be of anymore help than that.

Oct 21, 2013 at 02:32PM EDT

According to Symantec, it only works on older systems like Windows 98.

That’s assuming that you don’t have some sort of altered insidious version. Are you using any sort of antivirus? A good antivirus should be able to get rid of something like that. There are some free options, like MalwareBytes, etc.

Hope that helps.

Oct 21, 2013 at 02:44PM EDT

Go to task manager. alt+ctrl+del.
Go to processes
Research the .exes running on your computer with google; they might have shady or tricky names.
When you find the virus, go to file location, and delete it.
If this is a worm, it will re-install itself; I can’t help you there.
This how it works on my windows 7; might be different on windows xp.

Last edited Oct 21, 2013 at 03:12PM EDT
Oct 21, 2013 at 03:12PM EDT

Alright. It seems like a worm more than anything else currently, since it got on my computer while I was playing TF2. I’ll consider formatting my hard drive if that’s the only way out.
I’ll give this thread until tomorrow for any other instructions, but if nothing works, I’ll format.

I currently have McAfee and Norton right now, and the computer is in safe mode.

Would it help to change the IP address? I was asking myself that earlier and I am unsure.
(Or should I stay disconnected from the internet so I can find the processes without my actions being intervened by whoever is hacking me?)

Oct 21, 2013 at 03:36PM EDT

are you running both antivirus at the same time? won’t that cause conflicts?
any ideas how it got onto your computer? you mentioned TF2, but was there anything (shady software/website) running in the background? perhaps the TF2 server is spreading it?
have you done a boot-time scan?

if you have any software that monitors the processes that try and access the internet, then you could try and find it like that, but the lazy way would just be to backup the essentials and format

Edit: changing the IP address probably won’t change anything. If you have access to the internet, the worm does too

Last edited Oct 21, 2013 at 03:49PM EDT
Oct 21, 2013 at 03:48PM EDT

McAfee and Norton both stink so bad they might as well be virus themselves. Try AVG free edition.

Yeah if they are literally intervening themselves, which is odd for a virus that has a network, then just unplug the beast.

Oct 21, 2013 at 04:51PM EDT

I downloaded SpyHunter4 onto the computer, although it was a sore mistake. It didn’t do anything. All it did was scan and crap, but no removal or anything. It didn’t even pick up Netbus. I’m going to uninstall it most likely.

Norton sucks, I’ll admit it. But I’ll take my chances on anything legitimate and actually on the computer.

I find it strange, though, that I wasn’t being attacked at all during the download of SpyHunter4, nor during a run through TF2 to confirm that the netbus thing isn’t doing anything (I had the internet on, of course).

I’m sorry if the statements I say sound conflicting or confusing, I don’t know what the hell to do right now. I’ve looked through the registry for Netbus and I haven’t found anything. I’ve searched for the processes but I can’t tell which is which. :(

I’ll try superantispyware as you’ve suggested. Hopefully it works.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:14PM EDT

>I cant help
>free karma instead

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:26AM EDT

Frankly the only antivirus I’ve come to trust is Microsoft Security Essentials since when it comes to protecting their own OS, only Microsoft seems to know what they are doing.

Norton and McAfee are utterly worthless. As you already found out; they didn’t do shit to protect your system. They’re nothing but a drain on your computers performance, especially if you have both running at once.

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:12AM EDT

Try the free version of Malware Bytes, and run it on a deep scan. It’s been known to pick up and clean things other antivirus programs ignore, so it’s worth a try.

The best option is to do a system restore or format the hard drive, though only as a last resort.

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:37AM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Frankly the only antivirus I’ve come to trust is Microsoft Security Essentials since when it comes to protecting their own OS, only Microsoft seems to know what they are doing.

Norton and McAfee are utterly worthless. As you already found out; they didn’t do shit to protect your system. They’re nothing but a drain on your computers performance, especially if you have both running at once.

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:57AM EDT

Alright, I’ll start getting these things once I’m back on the computer. Thank you all for your help.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:24AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!