Forums / Discussion / General

232,776 total conversations in 7,783 threads

+ New Thread

Doctor Who General: The Second incarnation.

Last posted Dec 19, 2013 at 06:30PM EST. Added Nov 23, 2013 at 06:01AM EST
19 posts from 9 users

After the first Doctor Who General auto-closed, the thread regenerated into it's second incarnation.

Post here all things Doctor Who. I don't know if you guys have heard, but yeah.. TODAY IS THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY FOR THE CREATION OF DOCTOR WHO! … Cough – So yeah, I'm a little excited.

So to anyone who wants to talk about Who on this fine day, my question is, fitting in with the 50th anniversary theme, what was your first experience with Doctor Who? (What was the first episode you saw, what do you remember from the episode, who was the Doctor at the time, what was your first impressions of the show etc.)

Happy 50th Anniversary to all.

Last edited Nov 23, 2013 at 06:18AM EST

Dr Whooves wrote:

Wow, the filmisode… just wow… The ending was just amazing.. I think all Doctor Who fans will be going to sleep tonight with a big smile on their face.

Tom Baker tho

Last edited Nov 23, 2013 at 07:43PM EST

Quantum Meme wrote:

Tom Baker tho

Capaldi tho!

:

So, for the continuing story arc of Doctor Who, do you think this special implies the return of the timelords? Also, regeneration in a month. No offence to the 11th Doctor, I like him and all that, but at this point, I'd be happy to see him go..

Last edited Nov 24, 2013 at 02:58PM EST

I watched the first episode of the new season air yesterday and that was pretty much my first thorough impression of Dr.Who (first time I watched an episode all the way through). I loved it!

I love how Dr.Who never takes itself seriously. It jokes about the whole genre while putting on a serious face the whole time and that makes it incredibly fun to watch. It's quirky, weird and imaginative while still telling a great story (so long as you can keep up with it)

I've been aware of the fandom for a while and watched episodes of it here and there but never been really this interested in it until now. Fortunately I knew enough about Dr.Who already that I wasn't too confused by the show.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I watched the first episode of the new season air yesterday and that was pretty much my first thorough impression of Dr.Who (first time I watched an episode all the way through). I loved it!

I love how Dr.Who never takes itself seriously. It jokes about the whole genre while putting on a serious face the whole time and that makes it incredibly fun to watch. It's quirky, weird and imaginative while still telling a great story (so long as you can keep up with it)

I've been aware of the fandom for a while and watched episodes of it here and there but never been really this interested in it until now. Fortunately I knew enough about Dr.Who already that I wasn't too confused by the show.

I have to say, speaking as a member of KYM I'm surprised about how big of a thing Doctor Who became, I mean I've been watching every episode since the first one in the new series (9th Doctor) and it seems like only a couple of years ago the popularity and prominence throughout the world seemed to increase exponentially.

@Quantum

It seems that the series that introduced David Tennant made the biggest difference. As soon as that guy showed up, Dr.Who started exploding. (I'm tempted to point out that Tennant was the doctor that captured the attention of another [ahem] highly influential fandom and brought them into the the Dr.Who fandom, not only giving it massive presence boost but also populating it with the same type of internet-influential people. But surely there are other reasons for Dr.Who's newfound fame)

Doctors 1-8 were always famous, but perhaps only as 'some crazy old british sci-fi show.' as far as american audiences were concerned.

But the new series starting from 9th Doctor-forward re-introduced Dr.Who in a format that is much easier for this generation of audiences across the globe to follow and understand.

Plus we are at a point where Tumblr has the power to easily and instantly popularize anything and the newest series have arrived just in time to take advantage of this. I don't think previous Dr.Who incarnations before that series existed when the internet had the kind of resources to easily spread it around.

And overall, the show is just really good in terms of acting, writing, effects and creativity. It's just the kind of thing we needed to popularize in order to heal the wounds we suffered from Jersey Shore

PS: I really get annoyed when you full quote me when I'm right above you. That's completely unnecessary

Last edited Nov 26, 2013 at 02:09AM EST

Yes I'm sorry for fully quoting you when you're right above me, that's just a force of habit. No need to get OCD now, BSoD!

But yeah, I have to say, I didn't even know Doctor Who existed before 2005…

@Quantum

Doctor Who has always been popular, ever since it's second episode, back in the 60's, where I think it got at least 10 million views, which was a big deal back then since TV catch-up and online viewing weren't things that existed. it reached it's highest views during the Tom Baker years, and Peter Davison did a great job keeping the train going, it started to decline in interest around the sixth doctor, not because of the actor, I felt Colin Baker was a great actor, in my opinion it was entirely down to the writing, and the obsession they had with trying to make the 6th Doctor different from any previous doctor, to the extent where he wasn't very compassionate or (in some peoples opinions) likable. Even though I liked him as a Doctor and despite not being given a fair go at it, Colin Baker is a really nice guy and has stayed true to the fandom, McCoy was really good and he got some pretty great stories towards the end of his run but at that point it was too little too late, and the show was cancelled. I feel the 9th Doctor did a great job of kicking it off, and although he was a good Doctor I'm glad he only did one series, because it makes that one series more special, and it's good to have a regeneration at the end of the first series to teach new viewers how the show works.

I do agree with BSoD that the show's global popularity started to come back due to Tennant and the internet, and this idea we have online about grouping fandoms and the way fandoms are able to talk to each other and merge with other fandoms really do help keep a show going, I mean it only seems like yesterday that the show came back, and we're already into the 4th Doctor of the new generation, and the 8th series of the new generation.

I find that Doctor Who is one of the first shows that really had this kind of character that get's what he wants using his brain and not his fists, and I find more shows that have a protagonist like this, seem to be equally as popular, going from Walter White, to some purple unicorn, characters like these seem to be preferred.

Next episode of Who is 24 days away! By the way did I mention Capaldi?

So.. Who's best companion?

Last edited Dec 01, 2013 at 04:43AM EST

Owens, your time is running out! time for a marathon!

I was talking to my Doctor Who friends, and they all seem to dislike Rory Williams, which came as a shock to me, considering I always thought everyone liked him, what's the overall opinion on Rory Williams? Like him or do you dislike him?

Dr Whooves wrote:

After the first Doctor Who General auto-closed, the thread regenerated into it's second incarnation.

Post here all things Doctor Who. I don't know if you guys have heard, but yeah.. TODAY IS THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY FOR THE CREATION OF DOCTOR WHO! … Cough – So yeah, I'm a little excited.

So to anyone who wants to talk about Who on this fine day, my question is, fitting in with the 50th anniversary theme, what was your first experience with Doctor Who? (What was the first episode you saw, what do you remember from the episode, who was the Doctor at the time, what was your first impressions of the show etc.)

Happy 50th Anniversary to all.

Permission to turn this thread into a Moffat hate thread, captain?

Well, just because I don't wanna see this thread closed and I like Dr. Who (despite I only watched the new series), these are my thoughts:

About the series in general:
It's OK. It have good stories and good characters, just simply the fact the Tardis is a practical and compact time machine bigger on the inside tells you how good are mixed the sci-fi and the creativity and imagination in the show. Of course there some episodes that are not so good and the show have their faults, but for me It's a good TV show.

It's a shame this series is barely known in Latin America, where I from I never heard about the Doctor, his companions, the Daleks and the stories around it. Was until 2011-2012 when I started to watch the new series and oh boy oh boy, was one of my best decisions I ever made. But I definitely doubt to see Dr. Who (dubbed or with subtitles) in the TV of my country, but that's why there is the Internet!

About the 50 anniversary special:
HOLY SHET GUYS!
THAT SCENE WITH THE PREVIOUS DOCTORS AT THE END-waitwaitwait, calm down buddy.

Was great to see Tennant again as the Doctor, show good chemistry with Smith and Hurt. When John Hurt was annunciated as the "8.5 Doctor" I don't know why many people complaint about it, for me he made a good job as the Doctor who did the impossible on the Time War. Also, was good the cameo of Eccleston and the scene in the museum with Tom Baker was good too (which start me wondering how was his role as the 4th Doctor).

About Rory:
I believe the reason why many people dislike him is because the people see him as a filler character, just think about it, what was the main focus of the 5th and 6th series of Doctor Who?: Amy Pond, the Silence, the confusing plot "oh my god I can believe it! I gonna marry with my semi-daughter" of River Song, and in addition he always had the mark of the death, that probably don't help to build a good character, and don't get me wrong, I like Rory but yeah…
(plus, that son of bitch was married with a pretty redhead)

@Sir Crona

Well, if you have any issues with Moffat, then feel free to discuss them (as long as its constructive hate!)

@Elmashojaldra

Yeah I do agree with your feelings on the show, there are many issues with the current writing arcs and some episodes can feel a bit poor or irrelevant but there is a strong wheel of creativity and a great vibe that goes with the show and when it gets good it gets really good, personally I'd like the show to feel more consistent if we are talking about ways it can improve, like another great show Breaking Bad, if you look at how a series in Breaking Bad works every episode follows the other and they all feel greatly written and they all feel like they are following one great story, and Doctor Who does have many of the same elements but there is always 1 episode at least in a series that feels underwhelming and as a fan I can admit to this. a True fan doesn't love it blindly but points out all the ways they'd want to see it get better!

About the 50 anniversary special:

EEEP EEEP I LOVED IT!

Tennant is personally my favorite doctor of the new series era, so seeing him on screen was a treat and him and Hurt and Smith together was just brilliant from start to finish, sand shoes, dickie bow and Grandpa. Moffat's best writing is when hes writing long scripts, and I think Sherlock episodes prove this, I don't know why he limited stories to 1 episode since it really doesn't work with his long writing style.

Rory:

Yeah I see what you mean, I liked him because he had the John watson appeal of being just a regular guy caught up in the craziness, but as far as story goes he was just kind of there, I imagine the Ponds were meant to be a modern equivalent of Ian and Barbara from the 1st Doctors adventures, but Ian had a very important role so I suppose that's what differs him from Ian.

Future of Doctor Who:

Where would you like the show to go? what type of characters would you like to see? places or locations you'd like them to go to, plots you'd like them to explore? Anything you'd like to see in upcoming episodes.

P.S

Capaldi in 6 days!

Last edited Dec 19, 2013 at 06:31PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!