Forums / Discussion / General

232,902 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

John Lennon assassinated 33 years ago today. This Lennon fan is on /r/beatles disturbing the peace and making atheists look bad.

Last posted Dec 12, 2013 at 07:37PM EST. Added Dec 08, 2013 at 03:50PM EST
25 posts from 16 users

Link to conversation; http://www.reddit.com/r/beatles/comments/1scplf/33_years_ago_the_world_lost_a_legend/

I'm the user "Leachan" by the way. I've seen a lot of people being dicks and misquoting John today but this guy going around and bothering people for not following what he thinks are John's beliefs was the last straw.

Last edited Dec 08, 2013 at 03:57PM EST

The elitism of atheists on Reddit makes me cringe more than religion. I was pretty pro-atheist too until I realized they were all neckbeards who sat around bitching about things.

I hope OP was trolled because I'm starting to think that Reddit is spawning actual people that believe this shit.

Last edited Dec 08, 2013 at 04:27PM EST

Look, there's nothing wrong with Atheism or Christianity or any major religion in themselves.

But if you disrespect the dead in order to enforce your beliefs on somebody, then you're just being a dick.

Cale wrote:

What if John Lennon was actually God and now God is dead.

What would make you think that he was godlike in any way besides the fact that he influenced so many people?

I can't believe people actually raise shit about the marginal differences between atheism and agnosticism. But I suppose that's no different than people who raise shit over different factions of the same religion.

I stand by my theory that atheism is a religion, sociologically speaking.

Wightprincess wrote:

Reddit is always making atheists look bad. Not all of us are assholes ;_;

I'm really open to the possibility of a God, I just don't personally believe in one.

It's organized religion for the godless; it's pure golden irony.

User A makes respectful on-topic comment that contains a minor, but passable religious reference that isn't important to the discussion

User B ignores the whole content of User A's respectful on-topic discussion just to attack the small, insignificant religious reference with completely irrelevant anti-religious diatribe

Religious flamewar ensues.

Diagnosis: Regular internet activity!

@Jude Lee

In seriousness, this is how internet flamewars have been starting since the beginning of the internet. Nothing particularly shocking here. Especially not for Reddit which is famous for this behavior.

Basically what you have discovered is the original definition of an internet troll: A griefing killjoy that doesn't respect other users or the topic at hand just wants to force his own misguided opinions on other people. And/or someone who just genuinely thinks he's right when he is not and acts like a dick about it.

But since this guy doesn't look to be just baiting people and is in fact voicing his own ignorance, then good on you for calling him out. Eventually he will get the hint as other people shout him down also.

I'd tone yourself down a bit though. Rather than get personal against him, just stay calm and keep pointing out where he is wrong with facts, not anger. Attacking him with heated flames will welcome an internet fight and reflect badly on you.

Don't worry about the reputation of Athiests. For years, the philosophy has endured these people making all Athiests look bad this way. But so far, Atheism hasn't been ruined by these people and those same people learn eventually.

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Yes, because there's nothing quite as productive as getting into an endless argument over the religious disposition of a guy who can in no way verify or deny any claims made about him on account of being dead.

Implying that I have better things to do? (If that were the case then I wouldn't go in reddit.)

Ah reddit, making everything bad (with a few exceptions) since it was created. This is one of the many reasons I prefer 4chan.

Fucking elitists. These kind of people are cancerous just as the zealots from the Westboro Baptist Church.

I mean, look at this:

HUR DUR God bless is wrong cus im LE atheist HUR

I don't want to offend anyone here who doesn't believe in God, but there are people who live well with their religion and don't shove it in other peoples' face. AND there are this kind of people…

And who the hell started with "All atheists are geniuses and all religious people are close minded dumbasses" ?

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

Fucking elitists. These kind of people are cancerous just as the zealots from the Westboro Baptist Church.

I mean, look at this:

HUR DUR God bless is wrong cus im LE atheist HUR

I don't want to offend anyone here who doesn't believe in God, but there are people who live well with their religion and don't shove it in other peoples' face. AND there are this kind of people…

And who the hell started with "All atheists are geniuses and all religious people are close minded dumbasses" ?

I want to say Richard Dawkins, but I think atheist elitism predates even him if I am mistaken.

Trust me, these sort of attitudes have been going around since the beginning. Well before Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" hit the shelves.

I believe people can make an elitist of themselves when they simplify the entire concept and structure of organized religion into one stereotype, a stereotype that is in turn affirmed by extreme examples

When an extremist goes around threatening to kill people in the name of 'God'. It's pretty easy to look at that person and assume all religious people are like that, or that their intent and motives truly reflect the actual goal/purpose of the faith

Mature Athiests will identify this as a common mistake made by many young Athiests who don't realize that religion isn't that one-dimensional and furthermore that atheism is not about picking a side against it.

I've seen many religion wars on the internet. And I'd say about 15% of them were caused by fanatical religious wackjobs (all varieties) spewing ignorance. The other 85% were all started by militant athiests trying to deliberately pick a fight with ordinary religious folk who never asked for it

Last edited Dec 10, 2013 at 08:46AM EST

To be honest, I acted like an IRL elitist to piss of Mormon missionaries in Utah. I just had annoy them because they were annoying me on a daily basis.

Sweatie Killer wrote:

To be honest, I acted like an IRL elitist to piss of Mormon missionaries in Utah. I just had annoy them because they were annoying me on a daily basis.

I think we all act a least in our short time elite.

I remember being a warcraft 3 roleplaying elitist because the peasants were always interfering in my public games.

Chickenhound the Cruel wrote:

I think we all act a least in our short time elite.

I remember being a warcraft 3 roleplaying elitist because the peasants were always interfering in my public games.

I'm going to start researching Buddhism because I generally like the concept of it, because I'm considering it right now. The results will depend on what I find out about it.

Last edited Dec 12, 2013 at 12:26AM EST

I felt like derailing this with a sense of educating people. Possibly the worst derailment type ever.

Last edited Dec 12, 2013 at 07:38PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!