Forums / Discussion / General

169,550 total conversations in 5,527 threads

+ New Thread

Billboard Year-End 2013 - "Thrift Shop" #1

Last posted Dec 19, 2013 at 05:18PM EST. Added Dec 13, 2013 at 01:06PM EST
28 posts from 15 users

Harlem Shake placed #4?

Guess memes help boost position. Call Me Maybe got #2 last year.

@rest of list: I personally felt Can’t Hold Us was better than thrift shop, but OK. As for the top 5/10 I felt it was better than the past 3-4 years top 5/10. ‘Fun.’ should’ve been placed higher in 2012 and as for 2011…well…

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:12PM EST

I can’t wait to see Todd’s Top 10 worst hit song of 2013. This year, God this year was (in my opinion) worst than 2012.

Also:
Where the fuck is “Get Lucky”?!
Sees list
On the place #14, ARE YOU SHITTIN’ ME BILLBOARD?!

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:00PM EST

What are they doing riding a dead dog?

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:02PM EST

Cute Master The Absolved Mod wrote:

^Idk about get lucky. The music was good, but 90% of the lyrics were “get lucky.” Shit got old fast.

Well to be fair that didn’t bother me too much. Hell for comparison , “Why Can’t We Be Friends?” literately only had one line.

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:04PM EST

elmashojaldra is 2spoopy4u wrote:

I can’t wait to see Todd’s Top 10 worst hit song of 2013. This year, God this year was (in my opinion) worst than 2012.

Also:
Sees list

or buckleys

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:22PM EST

Also:
Sees list

Daft Punk certainly did not…
[puts glasses on]
Get Lucky.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Dec 13, 2013 at 06:34PM EST

Also:
Sees list

Hey, they did better than Miley Cyrus.

Dec 13, 2013 at 07:27PM EST

This is my Top 10 favorites from the list, I didn’t include any songs that carried over from last year’s chart.

10. Carry On
9. Next to Me
8. Safe and Sound
7. Sail
6. Wake Me Up!
5. Radioactive
4. Royals
3. Applause
2. My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light ’Em Up)
1. Little Talks

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:18PM EST

Adam DeLand wrote:

This is my Top 10 favorites from the list, I didn’t include any songs that carried over from last year’s chart.

10. Carry On
9. Next to Me
8. Safe and Sound
7. Sail
6. Wake Me Up!
5. Radioactive
4. Royals
3. Applause
2. My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light ’Em Up)
1. Little Talks

>7. Sail
>looks at actual top 100 list
>sees sail @ 25

Shit! That song is well over two years old. Why the hell is it just now top charting?

Also, I pretty much agree with #1, although I might move it to #2 and put Can’t Hold Us at #1 since that song is pretty much my anthem. I bought that whole Of Monsters and Men album recently though because it was boss. Back when I listened to spotify, I had that whole album pretty much on loop. I think I had played Little Talks something like 56 times by March or something.

Of course what turned me onto Sail? Kill Your Heroes. What turned me onto Kill Your Heroes? Ponies.

Same goes for Little Talks. Saw this gem and loved the song.

Last edited Dec 14, 2013 at 02:39AM EST
Dec 14, 2013 at 02:35AM EST

Out of all these songs, I really only care for Radioactive, Sail, My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light ‘Em Up), Gangnam Style (and even that’s getting old), and Berzerk. I’m kinda ticked Hail to the King isn’t on there.

Dec 14, 2013 at 09:10AM EST

^Idk about get lucky. The music was good, but 90% of the lyrics were “get lucky.” Shit got old fast.

90%
of the lyrics
were “get lucky”

Bitch please, talk about around the world! 100% of its lyrics was “around the world”!

Dec 14, 2013 at 09:31AM EST

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:05PM EST

I’m not saying just because a song repeat’s its lyrics it is bad. I’m just saying the shit gets old fast. I like Get Lucky, but not enough to have it repeating (which is something that’s on my own personal criteria to make it a top song) so it’s probably not going to be on my main playlist. Around the World isn’t bad either. Hell, I even like Bon Iver’s “Woods”, but there’s only so much of it I can take. But if we want to get down to it I really don’t think there is that much that differentiates the choruses of Get Lucky, Safe and Sound, and My Songs Know (Light ‘em Up) at a lyrics level. (even though Safe and Sound does at least modulate) But still, that doesn’t mean I’m knocking the song for being bad, it’s just not top tier quality IMO.

Also, posting “woods” because music and stuff:

Last edited Dec 14, 2013 at 02:46PM EST
Dec 14, 2013 at 02:42PM EST

GoingMenthol wrote:

This still might be a better song that most of modern pop (and post-grunge rock) music today.

Dec 14, 2013 at 03:32PM EST

Jimmy Boxtrousers wrote:

Out of all these songs, I really only care for Radioactive, Sail, My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light ‘Em Up), Gangnam Style (and even that’s getting old), and Berzerk. I’m kinda ticked Hail to the King isn’t on there.

I like Hail To The King too, but they don’t allow metal on the Billboard Charts.

Anyways, I’m happy with Thrift Shop being #1.

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:01PM EST

Jimmy Boxtrousers wrote:

There’s one for rock (though some of the songs listed here should be questioned as being rock)

http://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2013/hot-rock-songs

It’s at #29 btw.

Dec 14, 2013 at 07:55PM EST

@Daft Punkjet

This still might be a better song that most of modern pop (and post-grunge rock) music today.

IMO it is. I’d still rather be listening to that song than 99.9% of all the club music that gets played today. With lyrics like that, you never have to worry about lyrics that degrade women, lyrics that annoyingly tell the DJ to crank it up, lyrics that wont shut up about asses, lyrics that try too hard to be cool, Lyrics that wont shut up bout parties and drinking, lyrics that sound egocentric and self absorbed, irritating high pitched voices and unwarranted rap solo’s that don’t belong

Also are people still complaining about Daft Punk’s music because “the lyrics are the same”?

Bitches. How many times must I explain this to people…

IT’S HOUSE MUSIC!

The lyrics are completely unimportant in House. It gets graded on it’s beat/melody and dance quality! Not it’s message or it’s poetry!

As for the top 100 list itself, there’s absolutely nothing I like on it (3edgy) so moving on.

Last edited Dec 14, 2013 at 09:29PM EST
Dec 14, 2013 at 09:27PM EST

^True, the lyrics are unimportant in house, but Get Lucky is more pop than house. That’s why we’re massdebating it. (Yea, I went there.)

Last edited Dec 14, 2013 at 10:22PM EST
Dec 14, 2013 at 10:21PM EST

^^Gawd that list was so funny. Glad to see someone else getting annoyed by these pointless repeating hooks. #5 was just as bad as the #6es imo. But hell, He’d have over 100 songs if he included all of the songs that did that.

Also, @intro: good think I don’t like alt-rock…or really any rock. XD

Dec 15, 2013 at 09:06PM EST

I am pleased to see a song I like by an artist I love making number 1 on the year end list.
Top ten for me this year that came from the list (no carryovers):
10. Blurred Lines
9. Summertime Sadness
8. Get Lucky
7. Radioactive
6. Same Love
5. Mirrors
4.Sail
3. Royals
2. My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark
1. Can’t Hold Us
Honorable Mention goes to Applause, Counting Stars, Thrift Shop, Wake Me Up, and I Need Your Love

Not only was this year’s list pretty bad, but it was also extremely boring. And maybe it’s just cus I had a job this summer that required me to drive more than I normally do, but I feel that there was way more repeating the same songs over and over than usual

I can basically agree with Buckley’s list. Except one thing that kinda bothered me: he said My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark made honorable mention because it was copying Panic at the Disco’s thing of overly long song titles, but both bands have basically been doing the whole obnoxiously long title thing since the beginning of time, so it’s hard to see why this was a good reason. Oh well, it really doesn’t matter that much.

Personally, I am waiting as patiently as I possibly can for Todd in the Shadow’s top ten best and worst of 2013. I expect to see some real stinkers on the worst list.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:58PM EST

@Top ten worst songs

Alright taking a look at this. Thoughts as follows…

10 = Eh, it’s generic, standard fare club stuff but I didn’t think it was that bad. Kinda catchy. There’s far worse that could fit in the 10 spot, I’m sure.

9 = Eeewwww. When kesha calls herself “the crazy people” I literally cringe. She’s calling herself outrageous while literally making music so tame and casual that my mother would enjoy it…just no.

8 = “Feels like a perfect night to dress like hipsters” …. …ugh…. “make fun of our exes” ……uuuurrrgh…. “I feel like 22” ….oooooh gawd she needs stop! I never listened to her lyrics before, but now that I’ve heard them, dear god everything they said was true. I would have put her higher up, personally

7 = Hearing a perfectly groomed singer complain about not matching someone else’s shallow tastes is pretty abysmal but I still think Taylor still needs to be moved up here. She’s still got more real estate in whining IMO

6 = Most of my music is repetitive and even I agree. This stuff isn’t even good for dancing. I dance to beats. A single repeated word is not a beat!

5 = Hahaha Canadians cannot into ghetto. I would have moved it lower though.

4 = This represents everything I hate in pop

3 = This represents everything I hate in club

2 = This represents everything I hate in rap. (This guy even has gold deformed teeth. He thought of everything!)

1 = Sigh…this….just this…

Overall. A well made and well thought out list with a perfectly deserving top spot that sums up what I think about it very well.

Dec 16, 2013 at 01:29AM EST

You know, I rarely listen to (or get mass exposure) to mainstream top 40 music. It’s usually my active rock and classic hit stations (and the rock songs for the most part which includes the previous mention of Hail to the King don’t even chart high on the rock charts). So I hardly can make a decision on many songs.

But the song Sail. I swear that song actually charted back in 2011-12 (mainly on the rock charts) before this year.

Dec 16, 2013 at 09:11PM EST

Daft Punkjet wrote:

There’s one for rock (though some of the songs listed here should be questioned as being rock)

http://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2013/hot-rock-songs

It’s at #29 btw.

WHAT KIND OF BULLSHIT ROCK LIST IS THAT?! If somebody could please tell me what classified Phillip Phillips as rock, that’d be fantastic.

@Top 10 Worst from 4-1:

Dec 19, 2013 at 05:18PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!