Forums / Discussion / General

169,819 total conversations in 5,436 threads

+ New Thread

The Fukushima end of the world scare

Last posted Jan 20, 2014 at 02:14AM EST. Added Dec 25, 2013 at 12:11AM EST
9 posts from 8 users

There is a lot of people saying the Fukushima nuclear disaster will eventually kill us all, is this true or just a scaremongering hoax because the possibility is really scaring me.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:11AM EST

You mean all the news sources that claim all the water in the pacific is now glowing?

It is true that contaminated wastewater (used for cooling) has been leaking into the pacific and Japan is trying to stop it despite having several setbacks

But it is debatable exactly how much dangerous radiation is out there, how far it has spread and what the long term future effects would be. Having radiation leak into the ocean is very bad news but whether or not it will affect the entire world is another question

At the very least, when it comes to the terrifying images of the whole ocean filling with poison on google earth…Snopes says no, As well as other experts. And indeed the claim that the whole world is going to die is a pretty outrageous claim. The Fukushima disaster needs to be responded towards with education, not hysteria. The people we should be listening towards are the experts such as the World Health Organisation. Not Youtube

Dec 25, 2013 at 01:01AM EST

This page should adequately inform you about the Fukushima contamination, as well as tell you the difference between Becquerels/Curies, Grays/Rads, and Sieverts/REMs. It also points out some issues with the maps you’re usually shown when one group or another wants to scare you instead of actually informing the public.

It’s not a scientific journal, but more a collection of sources that will give an adequate, easy-to-understand explanation.

Dec 25, 2013 at 02:05AM EST

Well I have felt some of the side effects from being in Japan during that disaster. Onii-Chan says that it’s similar to what happened to the Japanese after WWII.
First your eyes get bigger.
Then you find yourself on a bed wondering what you will do there.
Then just when you think you are over it. Pomf =3
You’re a weeaboo
There is no escape and no hope

Last edited Dec 25, 2013 at 04:19AM EST
Dec 25, 2013 at 04:16AM EST

I think the thing that makes me worry is how secretive the Japanese government is about this accident.

Dec 25, 2013 at 08:33AM EST

General 'Ace' Granger wrote:

It don’t happened with Chernobyl. Why it would happen now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_the_Chernobyl_disaster#Long-term_health_effects

Sometimes the long-term effects are not that notable until you take a closer look at it.

Last edited Dec 25, 2013 at 12:17PM EST
Dec 25, 2013 at 12:17PM EST

This is completely true. It’ll melt the ice caps, which will somehow resurrect Hitler, who will then clone an army of clone cyborg Hitlers with modern technology and enslave the world through interpretive dance.

Dec 25, 2013 at 01:44PM EST

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

Well I have felt some of the side effects from being in Japan during that disaster. Onii-Chan says that it’s similar to what happened to the Japanese after WWII.
First your eyes get bigger.
Then you find yourself on a bed wondering what you will do there.
Then just when you think you are over it. Pomf =3
You’re a weeaboo
There is no escape and no hope

These are more terrifying than a hypothetical apocalypse.

Jan 20, 2014 at 02:14AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!