Forums / Discussion / General

169,547 total conversations in 5,527 threads

+ New Thread

9gag Explanation Help

Last posted Jan 02, 2014 at 07:42PM EST. Added Jan 01, 2014 at 08:31PM EST
15 posts from 12 users

Hello everybody. Today, I decided to show my friends 9gag and get them on board with the hatedom against it. I expected it to be quick and easy. At first my reasoning was “haha, 9gag sucks. All these pictures are so unfunny!” The first picture on the front page, as I expected, was indeed unfunny, and I hoped that would get them on my side.

However, trust me, I didn’t expect this, my friends enjoyed the pictures. They started reading and laughing at them. Now, nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. I would never hate someone just on account of their personal opinions or tastes. Since I realized that I could no longer get them to mindlessly hate 9gag as I hoped, I tried to use rationale to sway them. I explained to them about how 9gag originally claimed that they were the creators of certain memes, even though it was other sites that had created them. No luck. All they saw was funny pictures. I then tried to explain how they shamelessly often steal the OC of others without properly crediting it. Their response to that was “do you create content? No. Then that doesn’t matter to you.” They failed to realize that this is a matter of pure principle. I understood that it didn’t affect me directly; I argued on behalf of those who do have their OC stolen.

I really cannot accept this. Remember, I am not judging their tastes or opinions. I’m not trying to tell them that the way they think in incorrect. I am a strong proponent of everybody being entitled to their opinion. It’s just that I can’t accept their blind and naive fondness to 9gag without understanding the bad stuff that they’ve done.

Can anyone help me? Like maybe provide some better arguments against 9gag? Anybody have articles about the subject? The quick Google search I did didn’t bring back much useful information. Remember: I’m not arguing about their fondness of 9gag. I just want to open their eyes to the bad stuff that 9gag has done. This is my first forum post by the way.

Jan 01, 2014 at 08:31PM EST

Encyclopedia Dramatica?

To be fair, you should probably mention how nauseating people who bitch/whine over 9gag’s existence are too. Just saying.

Last edited Jan 01, 2014 at 08:43PM EST
Jan 01, 2014 at 08:41PM EST

9gag eh? Well it seems your friends thoroughly enjoy the content. Hey, if they continue to like it, let them. Though it’s good you tolerate opinions.

Obvioulsy 9gag has notoriety in the internet realms. My question is, are they familiar with the internet? Do they understand memes?

Jan 01, 2014 at 08:45PM EST

I think you should stop carring about something so trivial. They like 9gag, so what? I hope this is a joke.

Jan 01, 2014 at 08:45PM EST

Dac wrote:

I think you should stop carring about something so trivial. They like 9gag, so what? I hope this is a joke.

I hope you understand that this is obviously not a joke. (I wouldn’t have put that much effort if I was trolling) I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with liking 9gag, as you may have found out if you read the entire post.

I’m saying that there is something wrong with naively ignoring the misdeeds of 9gag and only looking at the website at face value.

To make an analogy, it’s sort of like how extreme patriots of a certain country completely ignore all the bad things that that country has done. And there is something wrong with that.

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:33PM EST

Biotic Zombie wrote:

Encyclopedia Dramatica?

To be fair, you should probably mention how nauseating people who bitch/whine over 9gag’s existence are too. Just saying.

Of course! Why didn’t I think of that before?

And yes, I should probably mention that as well.

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:34PM EST

9gag isn’t that bad as people make it sound. It’s more that people hate it because there’s a hatedom going on, with a lot of haters who don’t even visit the site or ever have for a long enough period to generate a proper opinion. There are some legit reasons of course, but those are all reasons not unique to 9gag.

Sure they post bad content, but it’s not all that bad. I know countless people who browse the site on a regular base. Having checked it on a couple of rare occasions and with friends sending me stuff from the site as well, I can’t say I haven’t laughed at some of their stuff. But in general the site just isn’t my thing, so I stay away from it.

The content stealing is an issue with the site yes, but like I said earlier, that’s not an issue unique to 9gag. The site also has its fair share of unique content made by posters there (which is normal, because they have a fuckhuge userbase).

Basically this graph:

I’m saying that there is something wrong with naively ignoring the misdeeds of 9gag and only looking at the website at face value.

No site is innocent. 4chan was guilty of some of the most brutal cases of cyberbullying and doxing, yet we still have people glorifying it on a regular basis. Those this mean we should ignore 9gag’s issues? No, but we shouldn’t look at it like they’re the sole cancer of the internet.

9gag’s misdeeds on the area of content stealing are just more due to the quantity of the site’s visitors and posts. But they’re not the only one, any image sharing website out there steals. Do you think 4chan or Tumblr only contain original content?

Last edited Jan 01, 2014 at 10:24PM EST
Jan 01, 2014 at 09:39PM EST

To make an analogy, it’s sort of like how extreme patriots of a certain country completely ignore all the bad things that that country has done. And there is something wrong with that.

Except its a site for sharing debatably funny pictures on the internet. It doesn’t matter, just like your and everyone else’s opinions.

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:43PM EST

I decided to show my friends 9gag and get them on board with the hatedom against it

Hatedoms are far worse than 9gag. “Because other people said so” is never a good reason to hate something and it sounds like your friends know it.

At first my reasoning was “haha, 9gag sucks. All these pictures are so unfunny!” The first picture on the front page, as I expected, was indeed unfunny, and I hoped that would get them on my side.

However, trust me, I didn’t expect this, my friends enjoyed the pictures

Behold the power of subjectivity and the weakness of opinions.

I really cannot accept this.

Well yea, you can. Because it isn’t your problem. Your friends are their own judges on what they find good and enjoyable for them and they don’t find enjoyable. You’ve made your case against 9gag towards them and that’s fair, but they have made their final call. That’s their decision and a good friend respects that.

Yes, we all know 9gags reputation: A kids playpen of rehashed stolen jokes. But it sounds like your friends don’t care about any of that crap. They just want to look at funny pictures. That’s okay. The internet is best enjoyed via the simple pleasures, anyway. You shouldn’t feel any responsibility in what they do or don’t care about on the net

Can anyone help me? Like maybe provide some better arguments against 9gag?

There’s been plenty of “9gag sucks” threads. But I think you should notice by now that all of the arguments are pretty weak and most of the hatedom is nothing more than people wanting to hate something for the sake of hating.

Hatedoms usually boil down to “I simply don’t like this, therefore nobody else should too”.

I see ED has been mentioned, I suppose if you want dirt on something, then ED has it. But ED just shits on everything and is extremely negatively bias so its just as likely to get disregarded

Frankly, I’m not interested in 9gag any more than you but it’s really not worthy of this kind of attention. I advise you to review the rule of the internet: “The more you hate it, the stronger it gets”. You tried to breed hate for 9gag and it got stronger by a few more people.

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:41PM EST

I have never, nor do I intend to ever, give a shit about 9gag. The hatred towards that site amuses me to no end and your post should be used as a codifier for Rule 19 (“The more you hate it, the stronger it gets.”)

I explained to them about how 9gag originally claimed that they were the creators of certain memes, even though it was other sites that had created them.

Why does it matter on which website a meme was created? Is Google going to reward the users of the site? Will fame and fortune be piled onto it? No. In fact, I can’t think of a single time when saying “x created y meme” would be useful or informative.

“But they’re stealing credit!”

Memes, in a vast majority of cases, are “stealing.” “All your base are belong to us” is stolen from the intro to Zero Wing. Many of those advice animals that everyone also pointlessly gets their jimmies rustled over, steal a copyrighted picture and use it. And again I say, “Who gives a shit that they are?” When I look up a meme, the last thing I care about is who created it. I’m more concerned with the why.

It’s just that I can’t accept their blind and naive fondness to 9gag…

It’s a website that stores images that people can discuss, link to, and laugh at. There’s very little difference between it, Cheezeburger, and the 4chan “You Laugh, You Lose” threads. Just get over it. People will look back in five years at this silly hatred toward an image website and shake their heads at the jimmies they wasted rustling.

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:45PM EST

You know what? leave it. let them like it. we have to have divided opinions on some things as a community or eventually we will topple apart. my opinion? it’s about a 5.001/10 for me. pretty dull, but some times it’s got some cool content, and that’s all that matters.

Jan 02, 2014 at 07:41AM EST

@RandomMan I think you’ve convinced me; 9gag really is in essence just as bad as some other sites. The widespread hate that they’ve accumulated is probably the reason for, well, the hate they’ve accumulated. You are absolutely right.

@Blue Screen (of Death) If you paid close attention to my original post, you would have found this:

“Remember, I am not judging their tastes or opinions. I’m not trying to tell them that the way they think in incorrect. I am a strong proponent of everybody being entitled to their opinion. It’s just that I can’t accept their blind and naive fondness to 9gag without understanding the bad stuff that they’ve done.”

My point was not to judge their tastes but to keep them from being naive about 9gag. It was concerning to me that they were letting funny pictures blind them from the stuff that goes on behind the scenes. That was my main point. It seems like everybody is getting the wrong idea about this thread. But, as RandomMan pointed out, I might as well point out all the bad things that 4chan or any other site for that matter has done.

@xTSGx I’m thinking about this whole thing with pure principle and pure principle only. I know it doesn’t matter who created what meme. It’s just the whole idea of saying that you’ve created something that you really didn’t. People who lie and also people who steal are the two things I hate the most in this world, so maybe the things I’m saying here are guided with a bit too much malice.

Anyway, I’ve since calmed down about this whole ordeal. I think my friends are starting to see my point, and I’m seeing their point. Cheers, everyone.

Jan 02, 2014 at 03:47PM EST

>2014
>still giving a fuck about 9gag

Jan 02, 2014 at 04:33PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!