Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Tumblr viruses.

Last posted Jan 28, 2014 at 10:37PM EST. Added Jan 26, 2014 at 08:57PM EST
7 posts from 4 users

Lately, there's been a truckload of fake virus accounts people have been making on Tumblr.

It started off as easy to notice, as they all used the same profile picture (Creepy blonde woman with a angry face) and the same randomly generated name (usually three to four letters, then a few numbers)

Later on, the fake blogs started appearing on your dashboard, even if you didn't follow them. They then start locking people from logging in after they got a virus. And they also re-blogged your photos and posts.

Now, this is where it goes from scary to disturbing.

-They started using new profile pictures for each fake account, and stopped using randomly generated names, so you can't even tell if it's a virus blog or not.

-You can't trust your fanmail because it may be a virus.

-You can't answer questions because it may be a virus.

-You can't find new, fun blogs because they may have viruses.

For a guy like me, who just started up a ask blog. I'm terrified to continue running it, because Tumblr itself may become a virus soon.

It's like real-life creepy pasta.

EDIT: Damn it, misprinted Tumblr in the title. I'm new here, so can someone explain how I change it?

Last edited Jan 26, 2014 at 08:59PM EST

"How to change a forums title for newfriends."

MODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODS
MODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODSMODS!!!1!!1!!!

Now @ Tumblr virus:
I had a big long post typed up about how to avoid this, but you should be fine as long as your're smart about it. Don't click on obvious fake accounts and make sure that when you are logging in you see "https://www.tumblr.com/" in the address bar. Https is important to keep your account secure. This sounds mostly like a security issue that tumblr should have resolved shortly. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be cautious as always when on the internet.

What anti-virus are you running?

Last edited Jan 26, 2014 at 09:40PM EST

Fixed the title for ya.

Honestly most of this is idiots not knowing how to stay safe online, most of the ways to avoid it are pretty common sense. Doesn't help that no one seems to know what a virus actually is; the "FBI" thingy is being called a virus when it's really an excessively long Javascript text box.

I don't know a whole lot about what it actually is but that's mostly because I've started blocking every post with the word "virus" in the first two sentences because no one knows how to work with computers even though they spend all day on them

If you suspect you really have have been infected, stop immediately, do not try to dig deeper, and run a full scan with your antivirus of choice; running a 1-day system restore could be a good idea as well.

If you don't have an antivirus, Avast is free.

💜✨KaijuSundae✨💜 wrote:

So what should we do? Just not go on tumblr until we are SURE this problem is solved? Anyone recommend what we should do?

You can still go to tumblr, but be careful of suspicious blogs, asks, etc.

tl;dr don't be stupid

Between Avast and Chrome/Firefox you should be safe for the most part. If you find you've made your way into a webpage that has you locked up with an FBI warning, Ctrl+Alt+Del and try to end the browser process. (I've reached one of these before and it worked.) If that doesn't work then Shut Down immediately, boot to safe mode, and run your anti-virus. (run your anti-virus if it does work.) Avast has this really neat "boot time scan" features that will usually pick up before any virus kicks in. And again…

Twilitlord said:

If you don’t have an antivirus, Avast is free.

↑ This! ↑ I haven't bought an antivirus in 3 years. Avast has worked well and is pretty solid. Malwarebytes is also a pretty solid program, but last I heard they will only scan and not actually remove anything unless you pay for them. AVG is free as well (I think) and I know some people prefer it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!