Forums / Discussion / General

168,632 total conversations in 5,402 threads

+ New Thread

LET'S TITLE: KYM Titles General

Last posted Feb 06, 2014 at 04:12AM EST. Added Feb 02, 2014 at 07:52PM EST
65 posts from 30 users

Pretty self-explanatory, but allow me to elaborate.

This is a thread discussing titles given to you by KYM. (Ex: Commentator, Conversationalist, Gold Member, Scrapbooker, Unique Titles, etc.)

How’d you get your title? Do you like it? If you don’t have a unique title, but you’re working towards one, what would you like it to be? (Feel free to be ridiculous on that) What are some of your favorite titles?

I happen to be a Commentator (duh). I like this label. It makes sense since the reason I created this account in the first place is so I could butt into entry comment sections with my opinions. Now I do more (forums, images, videos, and a bit of editing to the side), but I still comment the most as shown by my contributions chart

My top three favorite unique titles on this site are

RandomMan – Database Moderator & Ponyologist & God Tier Swag

Gaben the Troll and Harshwhinny – Protip Advisor

Ann Hiro (Cool name too) – Brand New Member (Cuz Irony)

As for a unique name I’d want, I’d like it to be related to something I really like, especially if it’s Frozen related. Metal Gear, Sonic, Zelda, and Metroid would also be good contenders.

Get the gist of this thread? Good. Start posting!

Feb 02, 2014 at 07:52PM EST

I won’t be satisfied until I have quints.

The struggle is real.

Feb 02, 2014 at 08:18PM EST

DeadParrot222 has the most appropriate title on KYM – Plush Master.

Protip Advisor
I was moderately surprised. All I did was shove my nose in other people’s business all the time. Moon Moon comes from my usual name of Crazy☾ (CrazyMoon), and the habit of others (amanda b.) in the IRC referring to me as Moon Moon.

Some advice:
Don’t go around expecting titles for any reputation you gain on KYM, you’ll most likely just be disappointed with the result. Ann begged for a custom title, and he got Brand New Member (he loves his, you probably won’t like yours). Even if you’re going for the KYM Thanks Awards, prepare to be disappointed. The receivers are decided upon by the mods, and if you’ve talked to any of them, you’d know that they’re a bitter bunch who don’t enjoy ass-kissing or attention whoring. Settle with just being a valued member of the community.

We also had an old thread about this in JFF.

Last edited Feb 02, 2014 at 08:20PM EST
Feb 02, 2014 at 08:18PM EST

Harshwhinny wrote:

DeadParrot222 has the most appropriate title on KYM – Plush Master.

Protip Advisor
I was moderately surprised. All I did was shove my nose in other people’s business all the time. Moon Moon comes from my usual name of Crazy☾ (CrazyMoon), and the habit of others (amanda b.) in the IRC referring to me as Moon Moon.

Some advice:
Don’t go around expecting titles for any reputation you gain on KYM, you’ll most likely just be disappointed with the result. Ann begged for a custom title, and he got Brand New Member (he loves his, you probably won’t like yours). Even if you’re going for the KYM Thanks Awards, prepare to be disappointed. The receivers are decided upon by the mods, and if you’ve talked to any of them, you’d know that they’re a bitter bunch who don’t enjoy ass-kissing or attention whoring. Settle with just being a valued member of the community.

We also had an old thread about this in JFF.

I am very aware that I’ll get pissed at the title I receive if I do, I’m just fantasizing, and this is a thread that can allow others to fantasize as well.

“Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?”

I honestly don’t care what I get, I’m just saying it would be a pleasant surprise if it ended up being nice.

Feb 02, 2014 at 08:23PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

I won’t be satisfied until I have quints.

The struggle is real.

Feb 02, 2014 at 08:25PM EST

I had always like my researching titles, but I one day aim for the title of equestrian guest resident or internet prisoner.

Last edited Feb 02, 2014 at 08:52PM EST
Feb 02, 2014 at 08:50PM EST

Brand New Member>Commentator>Conversationalist

And now I’m a karma Tycoon. I got to say I’m happy with this title, I never thought my contributions would be so relevant here. Which reminds me I got to change my avatar to match with this very nice hat:

Now if I want a custom and unique title…honestly I don’t know, I’m not very creative in this kind of things.

That said, I just hope still doing a good job with this sort of things (make comments, upload stuff) and not getting in troubles.

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:02PM EST

Brand New Member: Joined the site, pretty straight forward.

Gold Member: Post Rayman in the Character Alphabet Thread.

Commentator: Posted in a mix of Murder Thread, RP Thread, and PG Thread.

Collector: Posted my pone pics that I found awesome.

Conversationalist: Jacking off non sexually to pone.

Scrapbooker: Pone pics.

If I had a custom title, prob related to the amount of time spent on PG.

Feb 02, 2014 at 09:12PM EST

I have to admit, I do quite enjoy my Archivist title. It makes me sound all ancient and wise and stuff. Not to mention I totally earned it. I mean, look at the impressive quality of the images I upload!

If I was to get a custom title, (which I probably won’t, as I don’t really do all that much on this site) it would have to be something that accurately describes my intelligence and class. So probably something like “Douchebag”, or “That Fucking Guy”. Yeah, those would work pretty well.

Last edited Feb 02, 2014 at 09:51PM EST
Feb 02, 2014 at 09:44PM EST

ITT: Users attempt to poorly mask their begging.

Last edited Feb 02, 2014 at 10:08PM EST
Feb 02, 2014 at 10:08PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Yeah, that about sums it up. It’s kind of what was going for. So far, seems like a nice thread. Stay tuned Bob, stay tuned…

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:16PM EST

Even though my title says Conversationalist, I’m also a Scrapbooker.

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:23PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Now now, there’s no shame in sucking massive E-dick every once in a while.

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:24PM EST

CrouchingSloth wrote:

Now now, there’s no shame in sucking massive E-dick every once in a while.

Oh, there’s tons of shame. You just don’t realize it while you’re sucking.

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:31PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

ITT: Bob is kind of upset that he doesn’t have a custom title.

FTFY <3

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:31PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Oh, there’s tons of shame. You just don’t realize it while you’re sucking.

I’m the one receiving it, the shame is their problem. <3

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:34PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Why try to mask it? Just gimme the Dragon Dildo Enthusiast title already!

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:34PM EST

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

>inb4 we all get the new title of “E-dick sucker.”

Feb 02, 2014 at 10:45PM EST

Harshwhinny wrote:

ITT: Bob is kind of upset that he doesn’t have a custom title.

FTFY <3

Not at all.

See, the quest for a title is something many users go through. Users have sought them since custom titles were made and will long past this conversation is over. It’s the wish to stand out and be someone special not through activity (because who has time to contribute good shit), but through a title different from everyone else’s (because clearly we all need to be special delicate snowflakes).

See, the problem I have with a large portion of users is that I’ve noticed that several users are willing to sacrifice all semblances of humility and composure, just to suck up to anyone with a high standing on this site. I bring this up because it leads me to the issue I have with custom titles. I’ve seen users complain and beg for two things only. One was to become a mod, the next was to gain a custom title. Both of them believed to be a symbol of higher authority on these forums. The title alone was a big portion of why I almost decided to decline Amanda’s offer to be a mod.

Tl;dr: Stop endlessly sucking dick just because someone has been here longer or has a different title. They’re people like you and I, and as such, it’s your responsibility to call them out on their bullshit.

Last edited Feb 02, 2014 at 11:03PM EST
Feb 02, 2014 at 10:49PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Not at all.

See, the quest for a title is something many users go through. Users have sought them since custom titles were made and will long past this conversation is over. It’s the wish to stand out and be someone special not through activity (because who has time to contribute good shit), but through a title different from everyone else’s (because clearly we all need to be special delicate snowflakes).

See, the problem I have with a large portion of users is that I’ve noticed that several users are willing to sacrifice all semblances of humility and composure, just to suck up to anyone with a high standing on this site. I bring this up because it leads me to the issue I have with custom titles. I’ve seen users complain and beg for two things only. One was to become a mod, the next was to gain a custom title. Both of them believed to be a symbol of higher authority on these forums. The title alone was a big portion of why I almost decided to decline Amanda’s offer to be a mod.

Tl;dr: Stop endlessly sucking dick just because someone has been here longer or has a different title. They’re people like you and I, and as such, it’s your responsibility to call them out on their bullshit.

ITT: Bob is VERY upset that he doesn’t have a custom title.

I didn’t realize this was such a touchy issue with you. How many users can you count that actually have a non-Thank You Awards custom title? The number is tiny. I think Ann might be the only one who even asked for it and received.

People here do suck up in the hopes of custom titles/mod status, but those that do get bored rather quickly and leave once they realize there won’t be any special privileges here for that kind of behavior.

The truth is, is that people on KYM suck up because they suck up. Every single time Random posts, other people treat the words as though they are the nectar of the gods. Same with you, opspe, BSOD, and the other site mods. It’s why no one ever calls mods out on some of their BS that they occasionally post.

Last edited Feb 02, 2014 at 11:25PM EST
Feb 02, 2014 at 11:03PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Not at all.

You mean all titles don’t mean shit?

Feb 02, 2014 at 11:03PM EST

Harshwhinny wrote:

ITT: Bob is VERY upset that he doesn’t have a custom title.

I didn’t realize this was such a touchy issue with you. How many users can you count that actually have a non-Thank You Awards custom title? The number is tiny. I think Ann might be the only one who even asked for it and received.

People here do suck up in the hopes of custom titles/mod status, but those that do get bored rather quickly and leave once they realize there won’t be any special privileges here for that kind of behavior.

The truth is, is that people on KYM suck up because they suck up. Every single time Random posts, other people treat the words as though they are the nectar of the gods. Same with you, opspe, BSOD, and the other site mods. It’s why no one ever calls mods out on some of their BS that they occasionally post.

>implying our semen isn’t godly nectar you should swallow after sucking

Oh, they do mean something. User titles show where you’re active in with contributions, Mod titles show which powers we have, and Thank-You award titles show where some excell in.

What he meant is that having an unique custom title not related to an event or contributions won’t make you anything special. You’re still the same, just with something else as the title.

Make your actions speak for your reputation, not your title. You are free to dream of course.

Last edited Feb 02, 2014 at 11:10PM EST
Feb 02, 2014 at 11:08PM EST

Kebab Removal Unit wrote:

Feb 02, 2014 at 11:13PM EST

@Moon

The issue isn’t with how many users get a custom title. It’s with how many users are willing to hop on one leg and then some to get one.

Sure, they may leave. But more will replace them. So, it’s like replacing your shitty, old couch with an equally shitty and old couch.

The sucking up is my biggest gripe here. They really shouldn’t, it’s stupid.

@RM

That may be true, but that doesn’t mean EVERYONE gets a taste.

@The Game

I’d argue that titles aren’t really necessary. I mean all they do is get people to do things for the title. Think of mods who become mods then quit soon after. There was no point in it, they got the status then the contributions stopped. Seems pretty shallow to me.

If a user wanted to contribute a ton, they’d contribute a ton, title or not.

Feb 02, 2014 at 11:30PM EST

Okay, I know you don’t care about my opinion, but here it comes.

I’m sort of partial to all this really. I can see Bob’s argument and I can see everyone else’s as well. I actually agree with Bob more though. This is very true. Moderators and people with titles are still just average internet goers like everyone else. They’re still normal people, it’s just they’ve contributed to the site a bit more. However, like Random said, titles still do have meaning. They show that you’ve been around, that you’ve put some real effort into this site. Still, even if someone has an impressive title, you should judge them objectively. If Bob or Random say stupid crap, they should be called out on it and downvoted appropriately. I’m not here to suck E-dick, I just wanted to hear what you guys think about titles, and looks like it’s a success!

Feb 02, 2014 at 11:36PM EST

“I’m not here to suck E-dick”
What are you, casual?
In all seriousness though, are there really that many users serious about begging for a custom title? I mean, I was kinda joking around about it, sure, but I’d never actually ask for one or attempt to do things for the sole purpose of getting a custom title. Kinda defeats the point of the title if you have to beg for it instead of earning it through some form of contribution to the site that you did to, you know, contribute to the site.

Feb 02, 2014 at 11:47PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

@Moon

The issue isn’t with how many users get a custom title. It’s with how many users are willing to hop on one leg and then some to get one.

Sure, they may leave. But more will replace them. So, it’s like replacing your shitty, old couch with an equally shitty and old couch.

The sucking up is my biggest gripe here. They really shouldn’t, it’s stupid.

@RM

That may be true, but that doesn’t mean EVERYONE gets a taste.

@The Game

I’d argue that titles aren’t really necessary. I mean all they do is get people to do things for the title. Think of mods who become mods then quit soon after. There was no point in it, they got the status then the contributions stopped. Seems pretty shallow to me.

If a user wanted to contribute a ton, they’d contribute a ton, title or not.

The issue isn’t even with users sucking up, it’s with people accepting the sucking up. You can joke about users fellating those with mod status all you want, but I never see anyone actually being told to stop kissing ass.

Well, anyone except chowzburgerz.

The kiss-asses will always keep being replaced if their replacements come in thinking that’s how things run around here.

You want users to quit kissing ass? Call them out on it once in a while.

Remember the April Fools game last year? 20 Real World articles and you received a custom title? A few people had actual fun with that (I was one of them), and most of those who were having fun didn’t give a rat’s ass about the title. Then there were others like Katie and Efrain, who copy-pasted pretty much everything from Wikipedia or posted an “entry” that was nothing but a swarm of random pictures.

And then they were told that counted. It wasn’t until users called out that bullshit that the rewards were decided against. They ruined the spirit of what was going on, and they shouldn’t be rewarded for that, just called out on it.

To re-iterate:
You want users to quit kissing ass? Call them out on it.

Last edited Feb 02, 2014 at 11:55PM EST
Feb 02, 2014 at 11:53PM EST

Well then, considering some of the posts here, I’ll just say it clearly another time:

If you notice me or another mod doing something that shouldn’t be allowed, point it out to us (whether in public or in private). Don’t stay silent just because we’re a mod, our position shouldn’t allow us to break the rules. There’s no rule against correcting the behavior of mods. Hell, there’s even a rule that promotes directing people here in the right direction.

If you tell us what we did wrong, we will look into it and possibly correct ourselves on it in the future, just like any user. You won’t be banned or anything, and your words might even make us fall back on our decision if you bring good arguments when it involved a mod decision. It also won’t affect our opinion of you as well (given that you bring arguments and aren’t just butthurt we locked a thread you liked).

Hell, Bob pointed out mod mistakes before he became a mod, and he became a mod! How ironic can we get as mods?

Harshwinny posted:

And then they were told that counted. It wasn’t until users called out that bullshit that the rewards were decided against. They ruined the spirit of what was going on, and they shouldn’t be rewarded for that, just called out on it.

I was the one there who first pointed it out, and others joined later. They already shared my opinion, they just held back. Unfortunate that it took me to point it out first, but it was good to see people didn’t wanted to let that pass.

There’s of course the difference between ass-kissing and compliments though. Don’t be afraid to give a compliment. Modding is a rewardless job, and hearing we did well is nice.

Just don’t do it because you expect anything in return. We aren’t machines where you put compliments in until custom titles roll out. We are here because we like being here. Don’t be afraid to approach a mod and strike up a conversation, we aren’t a mod when we’re having a casual conversation that has nothing to do with KYM.

Last edited Feb 03, 2014 at 12:20AM EST
Feb 03, 2014 at 12:11AM EST

I’m a commentator because I comment a lot I guess.

If I ever one day earned a custom title, it would be “Ass Assassin”

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:12AM EST

Harshwhinny wrote:

^what he said.

Last edited Feb 03, 2014 at 12:15AM EST
Feb 03, 2014 at 12:12AM EST

I somehow got commentator

but i would love internet nazi
or rather internet dick sucker

Feb 03, 2014 at 02:48AM EST

Ruthless Reaper wrote:

Pretty self-explanatory, but allow me to elaborate.

This is a thread discussing titles given to you by KYM. (Ex: Commentator, Conversationalist, Gold Member, Scrapbooker, Unique Titles, etc.)

How’d you get your title? Do you like it? If you don’t have a unique title, but you’re working towards one, what would you like it to be? (Feel free to be ridiculous on that) What are some of your favorite titles?

I happen to be a Commentator (duh). I like this label. It makes sense since the reason I created this account in the first place is so I could butt into entry comment sections with my opinions. Now I do more (forums, images, videos, and a bit of editing to the side), but I still comment the most as shown by my contributions chart

My top three favorite unique titles on this site are

RandomMan – Database Moderator & Ponyologist & God Tier Swag

Gaben the Troll and Harshwhinny – Protip Advisor

Ann Hiro (Cool name too) – Brand New Member (Cuz Irony)

As for a unique name I’d want, I’d like it to be related to something I really like, especially if it’s Frozen related. Metal Gear, Sonic, Zelda, and Metroid would also be good contenders.

Get the gist of this thread? Good. Start posting!

My title quite Ironic indeed.

It’s a bittersweet title, sometimes I have to explain I’m not actually a Brand New Member.

Feb 03, 2014 at 03:04AM EST

Ann Hiro wrote:

My title quite Ironic indeed.

It’s a bittersweet title, sometimes I have to explain I’m not actually a Brand New Member.

Perhaps you should have got “Brand New Meme-ber” instead. XD

Last edited Feb 03, 2014 at 03:15AM EST
Feb 03, 2014 at 03:14AM EST

Full disclaimer: I’ve never been a huge fan of the unique non-award titles. I warned Amanda the first time they were implemented (Kurenai? I honestly can’t remember now) that having custom titles was going to create jealousy and make users beg moderation for them (I wasn’t a mod at the time, mind you, although I had been told I was on the short list for the batch before this incident). Which is funny, because custom titles aren’t a power at any moderation level; it’s an admin-level power only. But seriously, please don’t bother admins about it either. They have enough on their plate, something petty like custom titles is a very minor concern most of the time.

Real talk though if you want a custom title making positive contributions to the site and creating a positive mod-user relationship is the way to go. Merely befriending the mods/admins won’t get you very far anymore; a few custom titles were earned mostly by friendships (Kurenai, Prof) and others from getting tired of demands for them (Ann repeatedly asked for one, and was given BNM as a joke since he wanted one so bad, but his time here did play a part too), but requirements are a lot more stringent now. Most custom titles are restricted to the Thanks Awards titles, and very little else, which means they go to major contributors for the sake of contribution and resident experts.

Remember the April Fools game last year?

Yes, I do, and several other users (including mods) and I heartily discouraged any kind of rewards, particularly titles, from the start. The potential for abuse was very apparent, it was obvious a certain cadre of users (you named a couple, but I’ll avoid saying any more names – you know who you are) were going to game the system to get the privileges they felt they deserved – for site longevity, forum presence, etc. Of course, this being primarily an admin decision, there wasn’t much we could do other than a loud “we told you so” after the fact. In the end, the incentives were revoked, and we all learned a good lesson. Still, that fiasco is a bad point to use as there was a large amount of dissent about it.

You want users to quit kissing ass? Call them out on it once in a while.

And we do? We appreciate a complement once in awhile; this is harder than a lot of people think. However, it’s obvious when you’re talking out of your ass so you can get something shiny on a website profile page, and we will call you out on that. We have before.

tl;dr custom titles were a mistake in the first place but now that they exist dont expect to get them for riding our dicks

As for the topic, I think I’ve made my stance on custom titles pretty clear, but you know, those Thanks Awards… jealously eyes Madcat’s Homestuck Authority

Feb 03, 2014 at 03:58AM EST

@Non-Reward Titles:

Okay… where to begin with this one… yeah, I was apart of the April Fools Day clusterfuck. I decided to shoot for the temp title because I had missed the Community Building Contest and the chance to become RandomMans Bitch because of Parent Issues and School Reasons. So I feverishly tried to get 10 entries within those few hours I had (Started late because of timezones), trying to go for quantity over quality per the instructions of the contest.

I was actually just going for the Temporary Title Prize rather than the Permanent title prize, though AmandaB actually threw me a bone via PM and gave me enough materials to make it to the 20 entry mark. Which I managed to pull off with the assistance of Code Exploits. Hurrah! Party! I am either going to get something quite stupid for a title or be called an April Fool! All fun and games right?

… Then the Shitstorm… and the prizes being canceled without any official announcement….

I was later told the following via RandomMan or Bob, I forget who exactly because their faces blend together sometimes: “It was decided that activities not related to the Websites Mission Statement would not be deserving of Special Titles”

Okay, bumbed out that I didn’t get the title and swag bag, but overall understandable and I was willing to be called an April Fool over my sudden greed. I was practicing non-attachment at the time, so I let it go without too much fuss.

About a month or so passes… and Lich/Kurenai got the Marshmellow Title. Okay, what’s up with that? Admin Joke, the title was going to get removed in a few weeks and everyone could calm their tits….

But then a very long string of IRC Users started getting these titles. Taryn, ProffesorCheese, etc etc… and these people have gotten to keep their custom titles seemingly indefinitely. Why? Kurenai explained in an… er, Enraged Rant over a certain topic regarding Ann that he got the title because specifically he was friends with the Admins.

Really?

So I will inquire; If you really intend on having custom titles be special to people who contributed to the mission statement of Know Your Meme, then why be lax on people who are friends with the admins? Why should they be recognized on the same level as the people who put an insane level of hard work and dedication into making the website a better place and to reach it’s mission? Is there even a reason to contribute anymore if all we have to do is go party with the bosses of the site inside the Instant Chat, where any conversational contribution you make is instantly lost once everyone has logged off for tonight? Or should all the nonIRCers pack up their bags now and go home? This I would really like to know.

I have actually been avoiding doing anything that could get me a Reward/Badge or Mod Power because of this. It quite seriously killed any motivation I had in being productive on the website. I kinda want an answer so I know what my next course of action will be, which may or may not involve abandoning the place all together.

Last edited Feb 03, 2014 at 05:54AM EST
Feb 03, 2014 at 05:37AM EST

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

@Non-Reward Titles:

Okay… where to begin with this one… yeah, I was apart of the April Fools Day clusterfuck. I decided to shoot for the temp title because I had missed the Community Building Contest and the chance to become RandomMans Bitch because of Parent Issues and School Reasons. So I feverishly tried to get 10 entries within those few hours I had (Started late because of timezones), trying to go for quantity over quality per the instructions of the contest.

I was actually just going for the Temporary Title Prize rather than the Permanent title prize, though AmandaB actually threw me a bone via PM and gave me enough materials to make it to the 20 entry mark. Which I managed to pull off with the assistance of Code Exploits. Hurrah! Party! I am either going to get something quite stupid for a title or be called an April Fool! All fun and games right?

… Then the Shitstorm… and the prizes being canceled without any official announcement….

I was later told the following via RandomMan or Bob, I forget who exactly because their faces blend together sometimes: “It was decided that activities not related to the Websites Mission Statement would not be deserving of Special Titles”

Okay, bumbed out that I didn’t get the title and swag bag, but overall understandable and I was willing to be called an April Fool over my sudden greed. I was practicing non-attachment at the time, so I let it go without too much fuss.

About a month or so passes… and Lich/Kurenai got the Marshmellow Title. Okay, what’s up with that? Admin Joke, the title was going to get removed in a few weeks and everyone could calm their tits….

But then a very long string of IRC Users started getting these titles. Taryn, ProffesorCheese, etc etc… and these people have gotten to keep their custom titles seemingly indefinitely. Why? Kurenai explained in an… er, Enraged Rant over a certain topic regarding Ann that he got the title because specifically he was friends with the Admins.

Really?

So I will inquire; If you really intend on having custom titles be special to people who contributed to the mission statement of Know Your Meme, then why be lax on people who are friends with the admins? Why should they be recognized on the same level as the people who put an insane level of hard work and dedication into making the website a better place and to reach it’s mission? Is there even a reason to contribute anymore if all we have to do is go party with the bosses of the site inside the Instant Chat, where any conversational contribution you make is instantly lost once everyone has logged off for tonight? Or should all the nonIRCers pack up their bags now and go home? This I would really like to know.

I have actually been avoiding doing anything that could get me a Reward/Badge or Mod Power because of this. It quite seriously killed any motivation I had in being productive on the website. I kinda want an answer so I know what my next course of action will be, which may or may not involve abandoning the place all together.

Damn. That’s years of hard work down the drain.

Feb 03, 2014 at 06:26AM EST

ITT: Everyone gets upset over user titles

Look guys, the way I see it; custom user titles are like karma…

…In that it doesn’t really doesn’t have any value whatsoever and the only thing that makes it important is how how important you personally pretend it is

What do custom user titles mean? About as much as karma does; by hinting at how good your local reputation may be that’s about it. Plus it might have some sort of community in-joke reference that allures to what some people know you for…but overall, it’s only what you make it

There’s nothing more to them at all and we shouldn’t be looking at them any deeper than that. That means stop trying so hard to get one, stop caring so much when you don’t, stop over-estimating their worth, stop making slippery slope arguments about the damage they can do, stop criticizing those who already have one, stop criticizing those who want one, stop threatening to leave the site over them, keep calm and carry on.

Yeesh, this is starting to sound like another Site-Related Karma System debate

Or worse, it’s beginnign to remind me of tumblr blog where overpriviledged self-entitled fedora’s complain about being friendzoned (with custom titles being their female best friends)

Those who have custom titles, earned it. They earned it through the relationships they formed with the community, simple as that. But it’s not a Platinum Trophy, your Championship badge, your Cutie Mark or anything. It’s a minor perk of little consequence which nobody is entitled for and should be treated as such

Rather than having a big huge fucking debate over it. Can we just stick to the actual thread topic? Discussing thread titles you like? What ones you’d like to see? What ones you’d think you would have if you were given one? Nobody is actually going to get a thread title here of course but surely we can dream.

So…Titles

I really like Deadparrots title as well. I remember when we started calling him the Plush Master after we saw his ridiculous plush collection (plus he mailed out plushies to other users too). A while later that became his title. I thought that was so cool.

As for unique names I would have gone with, I tend to think back to a old forum I used to post on where I earned the title “Forum Whore Duluxe with Cheese”. Might have been a phpBB forum because I think that’s one of the titles you get for reach X number of posts.

And boy did I whore forums. I once hit the record on a forum for highest post count and I did it in a year. I got a custom title “First to [X]” where X was the record

Plus while most mods do not enjoy suck ups here…I, on the other hand happen to be an attention loving slut so I don’t mind suck ups at all (not that I’ll reward you for it)

So yea, “Forum Whore”

But Sr. Forum Moderator works for me too. Sounds professional.

Last edited Feb 03, 2014 at 07:27AM EST
Feb 03, 2014 at 07:26AM EST

Custom Titles are like Shiny Pokemon.

It does nothing, but everyone wants one.

Feb 03, 2014 at 07:53AM EST

It’s always -believe it or not that the mods derail the threads that take upon a bitter topic.

On the subject, it isn’t much as if I want to have a custom title, I don’t like standing out, even if it made cool in any way. I don’t fantasize having some random thing, and if anything else, it would the the Thanks Rewards, at least those have some positive recognition and reputation instead of blatantly begging or as everyone calls it, ‘whoring’ for it.

I really don’t see this topic going up in a large bull of fury here, it shouldn’t be too big of a war over some ‘title’.

Feb 03, 2014 at 10:09AM EST

I highly doubt I’ll ever get a custom title, seeing as I don’t do much beyond posting in the forums, entries and galleries. Still, I would like to become a little more notable for my knowledge and love of animated media (especially Disney movies) so if I could pick a title I would want “Disney Princess”. It’s funny because it shoves in everyone’s face that I am a girl and silly boys don’t hit on me just cus I’m a girl on the internet dohohohohohoho. No but seriously, I like the title. I suppose I’m pretty well known among these parts for being a rare species of reasonable person on the internet, so “Voice of Reason” would probably fit me well too.

@BSoD: I was just about to compare this title-whoring thing to friendzoning.

Feb 03, 2014 at 11:13AM EST

Natsuru wrote:

Those people are really really rare exceptions. And tbh, like with Twilit, I can’t say I agree with them all the time. Saying people like Taryn or Cheese deserved it? No, not in the slightest. Would I correct some of them given the chance? Possible.

They were just extremely lucky. Amanda was more easy going than most of us on that stuff, so if you got her in a good mood you could be extremely lucky. But she’s gone (miss u Amanda), so those titles shouldn’t occur again. Those that have them now survived by luck alone, and it’s unfortunate to hear others feel unappreciated due to it.

Right now the badges you saw in the Thank-You awards might be something we’ll continue on. Make ‘em more frequent, with unique titles for unique users, even for those mainly on the forums. But don’t expect that on the short run, it’s not really a main agenda point.

Well, we can’t really correct those mistakes now, so that’s unfortunate. But they shouldn’t occur again at least, with an actually fair reward system in the future, if you can settle with that. But I’m willing to explain the reasons some got them if you wish so, maybe you can then settle with why certain users got theirs. Some are extreme luck, but there are those that deserved it.

As for a possible reward on your side, stay tuned~

Last edited Feb 03, 2014 at 02:28PM EST
Feb 03, 2014 at 02:22PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!