Forums / General

195,821 total conversations in 5,394 threads

+ New Thread

LET'S TITLE: KYM Titles General

Last posted Feb 06, 2014 at 04:12AM EST. Added Feb 02, 2014 at 07:52PM EST
65 conversations with 30 participants

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

@Non-Reward Titles:

Okay… where to begin with this one… yeah, I was apart of the April Fools Day clusterfuck. I decided to shoot for the temp title because I had missed the Community Building Contest and the chance to become RandomMans Bitch because of Parent Issues and School Reasons. So I feverishly tried to get 10 entries within those few hours I had (Started late because of timezones), trying to go for quantity over quality per the instructions of the contest.

I was actually just going for the Temporary Title Prize rather than the Permanent title prize, though AmandaB actually threw me a bone via PM and gave me enough materials to make it to the 20 entry mark. Which I managed to pull off with the assistance of Code Exploits. Hurrah! Party! I am either going to get something quite stupid for a title or be called an April Fool! All fun and games right?

… Then the Shitstorm… and the prizes being canceled without any official announcement….

I was later told the following via RandomMan or Bob, I forget who exactly because their faces blend together sometimes: “It was decided that activities not related to the Websites Mission Statement would not be deserving of Special Titles”

Okay, bumbed out that I didn’t get the title and swag bag, but overall understandable and I was willing to be called an April Fool over my sudden greed. I was practicing non-attachment at the time, so I let it go without too much fuss.

About a month or so passes… and Lich/Kurenai got the Marshmellow Title. Okay, what’s up with that? Admin Joke, the title was going to get removed in a few weeks and everyone could calm their tits….

But then a very long string of IRC Users started getting these titles. Taryn, ProffesorCheese, etc etc… and these people have gotten to keep their custom titles seemingly indefinitely. Why? Kurenai explained in an… er, Enraged Rant over a certain topic regarding Ann that he got the title because specifically he was friends with the Admins.

Really?

So I will inquire; If you really intend on having custom titles be special to people who contributed to the mission statement of Know Your Meme, then why be lax on people who are friends with the admins? Why should they be recognized on the same level as the people who put an insane level of hard work and dedication into making the website a better place and to reach it’s mission? Is there even a reason to contribute anymore if all we have to do is go party with the bosses of the site inside the Instant Chat, where any conversational contribution you make is instantly lost once everyone has logged off for tonight? Or should all the nonIRCers pack up their bags now and go home? This I would really like to know.

I have actually been avoiding doing anything that could get me a Reward/Badge or Mod Power because of this. It quite seriously killed any motivation I had in being productive on the website. I kinda want an answer so I know what my next course of action will be, which may or may not involve abandoning the place all together.

Now that Amanda is gone, I feel like the amount of people getting custom titles for no reason will go down. She was the only staff member who hung out in IRC and made friends with the other IRC users, so yeah.

Feb 03, 2014 at 03:23PM EST

@Harshwinny

I think RM answered you pretty well.

@Nats

What happened with that April Fool’s thing was terrible. My threads were far better. Either way, it’s really too bad.

Yes, some users have gotten titles for being friends with the staff. I don’t agree with it, but it’s happened. There’s nothing we can do about it now and all we can do is get over it. Also, just to point out. The title thing is no real reason to leave the site. It’s not that big of a deal, as has been established plenty of times. I’m sorry, but leaving over such a petty issue seems pretty pointless.

Also, losing motivation because others were rewarded for doing nothing can put you in a sour mood. But none of this is a reward. Stop seeing it as such. I’m going to point out that you’ve killed your own motivation by seeing this as a reward rather then something cosmetic. So for that, I’m afraid I’d have to say that you’re the one at fault there.

@BSoD

Not true at all. I’m going to have to ask you to get your facts straight before stepping into the game, ‘cause now the ball’s in Bob’s court. Tell me, what did Taryn do for his title? How about Cheese? Ann? Lich? Lich TWICE? All they did was make friends (or be the ultimate tryhard, in Ann’s case). Nothing really deserving of a title.

See the issue isn’t with people having titles and not deserving them. The issue is with users trying to suck up and make friends in hopes of getting titles and special treatment. How can we tell people that it doesn’t work that way when clearly it does under certain circumstances?

I understand that you like the attention. I really don’t. To each their own, I guess.

But I guess that’s all fine now. As Phil and RM pointed out, Amanda can’t give titles anymore, so that’s gonna slow greatly. Maybe letting users know that will stop them.

Just a message to Amanda, if you catch this. I’m not insulting you or anything. You’re pretty damn great. You were a bit too lenient with the titles though, in my opinion at least.

Last edited Feb 03, 2014 at 07:48PM EST
Feb 03, 2014 at 07:28PM EST

Bob wrote:

Also, losing motivation because others were rewarded for doing nothing can put you in a sour mood. But none of this is a reward. Stop seeing it as such. I’m going to point out that you’ve killed your own motivation by seeing this as a reward rather then something cosmetic. So for that, I’m afraid I’d have to say that you’re the one at fault there.

To point out what are clear rewards:
-Any of the auto-titles basically.
-Becomming Mod or being upgraded as one.
-Winning a KYM-Thanks Award.

The new badges basically show what you can look at as a reward, and we will probably expand on these in the future. The recent Thanks-Awards were mostly mod and staff nominations, BUT for those that wish to see more getting rewarded for their work: The KYM Thanks Awards page offers you to deliver a suggestion for all the badges you see there (and more in the future!).

Mods or user doesn’t matter. All parties are just as worthy. You might just not have it to make mod, but a thanks badge shows you’re appreciated. Same for mods, we have the same powers, but some of us shine on areas where others don’t as much, let them know you appreciate their help.

Would you like to see the recent image gallery cleanup folks be rewarded? Meme Taxonomist got you covered! Do some have exceptional digits in the karma handed out or received? Karma Philantropist and Karma Tycoon got your respectively covered! That one user or mod the site couldn’t do without when in need for help? There’s Protip Advisor for them! Is someone a monster in image uploading? See if they can get Fan Art Historian!

But seriously, there are mods and users here who deserve a reward, but we don’t have eyes everywhere, users unfortunately get forgotten, and even for mods it’s difficult to nominate fellow mods because we rather avoid it appearing as friend politics. Deliver the evidence, and you can see those that deserve to shine actually shine.

Last edited Feb 03, 2014 at 08:34PM EST
Feb 03, 2014 at 08:29PM EST

Okay, I’m going to throw in my own two-bits:

First of all, I usually NEVER post outside of JFF. I feel that this is something that I NEED to add my opinion to.

For one, I really don’t care about the whole custom title thing, but I would appreciate it if I got one. (Nudge Nudge wink wink)

But seriously, I do find that the titles seem to have a hidden “Value” because they’re so rare. Since they’re so rare, everyone naturally wants one. Since everyone wants one, they kiss the mod’s asses to get one. To be honest, I really don’t give a shit about the mods. I know that they are a sense of authority in this hellhole, but in the end, I really feel that they don’t deserve the godlike worship that they get. besides, if we should be worshipping anyone it’d be either SRJ or Jamie Dubs And besides, as was stated, some of the mods don’t really like all the kiss-asses just looking to increase the size of their e-peen.

To be honest, if I were to go on, I feel that I would just be mindlessly repeating what others have already said in this thread, so i’m leaving it at this for now.

(A bit of a personal note, and a bit off-topic: I feel I get a bit left out from the entire circle of events because I don’t post outside of JFF. I’d be considering this a bad thing, but I really want your guy’s opinion on it.)

Feb 03, 2014 at 08:42PM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

ITT: Everyone gets upset over user titles

Look guys, the way I see it; custom user titles are like karma…

…In that it doesn’t really doesn’t have any value whatsoever and the only thing that makes it important is how how important you personally pretend it is

What do custom user titles mean? About as much as karma does; by hinting at how good your local reputation may be that’s about it. Plus it might have some sort of community in-joke reference that allures to what some people know you for…but overall, it’s only what you make it

There’s nothing more to them at all and we shouldn’t be looking at them any deeper than that. That means stop trying so hard to get one, stop caring so much when you don’t, stop over-estimating their worth, stop making slippery slope arguments about the damage they can do, stop criticizing those who already have one, stop criticizing those who want one, stop threatening to leave the site over them, keep calm and carry on.

Yeesh, this is starting to sound like another Site-Related Karma System debate

Or worse, it’s beginnign to remind me of tumblr blog where overpriviledged self-entitled fedora’s complain about being friendzoned (with custom titles being their female best friends)

Those who have custom titles, earned it. They earned it through the relationships they formed with the community, simple as that. But it’s not a Platinum Trophy, your Championship badge, your Cutie Mark or anything. It’s a minor perk of little consequence which nobody is entitled for and should be treated as such

Rather than having a big huge fucking debate over it. Can we just stick to the actual thread topic? Discussing thread titles you like? What ones you’d like to see? What ones you’d think you would have if you were given one? Nobody is actually going to get a thread title here of course but surely we can dream.

So…Titles

I really like Deadparrots title as well. I remember when we started calling him the Plush Master after we saw his ridiculous plush collection (plus he mailed out plushies to other users too). A while later that became his title. I thought that was so cool.

As for unique names I would have gone with, I tend to think back to a old forum I used to post on where I earned the title “Forum Whore Duluxe with Cheese”. Might have been a phpBB forum because I think that’s one of the titles you get for reach X number of posts.

And boy did I whore forums. I once hit the record on a forum for highest post count and I did it in a year. I got a custom title “First to [X]” where X was the record

Plus while most mods do not enjoy suck ups here…I, on the other hand happen to be an attention loving slut so I don’t mind suck ups at all (not that I’ll reward you for it)

So yea, “Forum Whore”

But Sr. Forum Moderator works for me too. Sounds professional.

Thank you for being amazing Blue Screen. I’m surprised at how much fury I caused with this. I thought it would be just your average goofy thread.

Feb 03, 2014 at 10:48PM EST

Tell me, what did Taryn do for his title? How about Cheese? Ann? Lich? Lich TWICE? All they did was make friends (or be the ultimate tryhard, in Ann’s case). Nothing really deserving of a title.

Alright I’ll give you that. Those people were simply in the right place and the right time with the right standing with Amanda.B to get those titles.

But this was also at a time when custom titles weren’t this huge fucking deal. Back then a title was a title. And changing someones title was nothing but humorous fun.

Amanda.B saw them for what the really were: No big deal. It wasn’t her way of giving people an official certificate of being important. It was her way of just having good old fashion fun with the community. That’s all it is. That’s all it should ever be. That’s the point I was trying to get at, and that’s why I see this debate as being extremely frivolous.

As you pointed out, it doesn’t even matter now anyway. No staff will be giving out free titles now. Titles can be earned through the Thanks Awards system so now you do actually have to be motivated to get one. And there’s no Thanks Award for being a brownnose. So yes we can tell people, “It doesn’t work that way”. Not anymore.

Even then, the Thanks Awards are all in good fun too and still shouldn’t be taken seriously.

A title is a title.

Feb 04, 2014 at 04:09AM EST

People need to realize that there wasn’t really a precedent for custom titles before Lich/Taryn/Prof and a lot of it was also Amanda being too nice for her own good. Yes, it helped that they were all chummy with her, but they also didn’t suck up to them just for the title or demand it for being prominent members. Most of the people now who act like they should get one (and actually express it, here or elsewhere), or who complained the most about the April Fools’ fallout are also users who, for some reason, feel like their status, perhaps site longevity, or sheer upload gallery size, or being regularly vocal, merits them some sort of reward. (It actually reminds me a bit of the idea of the friendzone so you can see why I would think that it’s bullshit)

Well, now we do have a precedent, and we do have guidelines laid out for custom titles, and it’s not “Kurenai has one and I’ve been around longer than him”. Excluding some incredible happening that merits one in agreement with the mods and admins, make positive contributions for the sake of site enrichment, and get noticed for your contributions. Don’t flaunt it to get attention, don’t wholesale image dump or make it clear it’s only for a title. Amanda isn’t here to make random custom titles, and the mod team and admins are all in agreement now about the rules for them. You’re gonna have to work for it.

Besides if you’re really that concerned about a string of text on a website that ultimately means very little have i got news for you

Feb 04, 2014 at 05:17AM EST

I use to be a Brand New Member here who in only three days became a Gold Member which lasted for about two weeks until I became a Commentator. That rank lasted almost a month before my Rank changed to Collector, thanks to all the images I posted on the Creepypasta entry and discovering that I can post on my wall with no relation to any of the entries here.

Since I liked the Collector’s title I went to posting a lot of images here until I gain Archivist a rank that I liked as much as the previous one. So I spent most of my time uploading images and avoid making comments as much as possible, fearing of losing my title. But as you can see my current rank is Conversationalist, But I knew was gonna lost it eventually since the reason I made my account is to make funny and sarcastic comments here in this site.

Feb 04, 2014 at 05:23AM EST

I just want you guys to know, that some of the people who do have custom titles now DID beg Amanda for them. They just pestered her so much I think she gave in (knowing that she was a nice lady and they were her friends).

Most of them were given because of inside jokes they had with her though.

Feb 04, 2014 at 07:34AM EST

I got my title because I’m friends with Amanda and she had already had nickname for me. She consider it a Christmas present and bam. I got the title “???” because I asked her for it over text with her. After I took a break from KYM and returned I wanted something “edgy”, yes I admit it. So I asked for “???”. Done.

That’s the story. I didn’t beg for it. I didn’t deserve it. It just happened.

Man, don’t bring me up to prove a point. I’m not a good example.

Feb 04, 2014 at 09:23PM EST

Guess wut guuuuiiiise!

I’m a collector now! Could someone fill me in on what powers Collectors have? I know I got it for uploading at least 100 pics/vids, but do we get any privileges like Scrapbookers, or is it just for show?

Feb 04, 2014 at 10:02PM EST

Science Spider wrote:

Guess wut guuuuiiiise!

I’m a collector now! Could someone fill me in on what powers Collectors have? I know I got it for uploading at least 100 pics/vids, but do we get any privileges like Scrapbookers, or is it just for show?

I think the collector title overrides the scrapbooker title, but still retain the Scrapbooker powers like I do.

Also it’s 100 images uploaded, you only have 71 done.

Last edited Feb 04, 2014 at 10:07PM EST
Feb 04, 2014 at 10:05PM EST

Ann Hiro wrote:

I think the collector title overrides the scrapbooker title, but still retain the Scrapbooker powers like I do.

Also it’s 100 images uploaded, you only have 71 done.

Well, I’m working on Scrapbooker, but I don’t have it yet. I’m just curious if it means anything, because I know Scrapbookers get to somewhat edit pictures when necessary. I’m pretty sure Collector is just fo sho though. I’ll get Scrapbooker soon anyways, so it won’t even matter.

Feb 04, 2014 at 11:16PM EST

ey guys. the first time amanda changed it was when she changed it to shipping ph.d because of a conversation we had together along with abra and it lead to her giving it to me because we are friends. and then when i started getting into dangan ronpa she noticed all the shsl shit and she changed it to super high school level shipper bc she is very sweet and nice.

Feb 05, 2014 at 11:17PM EST

Science Spider wrote:

Well, I’m working on Scrapbooker, but I don’t have it yet. I’m just curious if it means anything, because I know Scrapbookers get to somewhat edit pictures when necessary. I’m pretty sure Collector is just fo sho though. I’ll get Scrapbooker soon anyways, so it won’t even matter.

• Collector is given with 100 images+video uploads, so the combined total.
  • Scrapbooker is 100 image uploads, videos not counting twoards the total, and should override Collector.

Scrapbooker wasn’t added until we decided to make image editing powers an auto-gainable power. Because the powers you get are restricted to images, it was decided to make the powers requiring only image uploads. Simple logic.

@Kurenai & Cheese

As was said, some were related to Amanda just being nice in general. And those that got them through her being nice are ultra rare exceptions even amongst IRC users. But those cases shouldn’t happen again, so let’s close that point. You guys were lucky and now get to keep them.

But in the defense of Amanda:

Let’s face it folks, if you had the ability to hand out custom titles, you would’ve handed out custom titles by cronyism just as easily. Should we out of random suddenly decide to give you the ability to hand out custom titles, can you give me your word that you won’t be giving yourself or your friends (or even enemies) a custom title for reasons unrelated to their site contributions?

Brad, Don and James don’t interact with the userbase often. Mods don’t have custom title powers. Amanda was the only party who had the powers and interacted with users on a common basis. She’s the only person who meets the conditions that make a person hand out custom titles for her reasons.

Favoritism is human nature. Should I receive custom title powers, I can’t guarantee I wouldn’t be handing out some for friends as jokes (I’m certain though I won’t reply to random begging). And I’m certain you can’t as well. It’s easy to blame a different party when you haven’t been in the same conditions yourself first.

Feb 06, 2014 at 04:12AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!