Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

LET'S RAGE: Things That Get You Pissed on KYM General

Last posted Mar 14, 2014 at 09:11AM EDT. Added Feb 05, 2014 at 10:33PM EST
33 posts from 28 users

The title says it all. We all know that KYM is one of the bestest, mostest awesomestest websites out there on the endless sea known as the internet that we all surf. However…

What things do you not like about this site?

I have one I found just a second ago: religious "debates". I started a religion thread quite some time ago if you want to check it out. There's not really a debate though, so feel free to start one! >:)

Well, on my rage, it's just I can't really state my true religious beliefs on here without getting hammered with downvotes. For example, on the Bill Nye article, the comment section is pretty much a huge Christian circle-jerk. If I were to even attempt to interrupt that circle-jerk, I would get pummeled with downvotes and a huge string of replies about being a "euphoric-fedora-wearing-neckbeard" like what usually happens. I've only gotten upvotes for an atheist comment once, and it was only a few, no where near the amount a religious comment would get. Also, I was really holding back on the comment that got upvotes. I'm normally a lot more harsh and have stronger arguments. Well, this is to be expected from any websites with a majority of its users being religious. It isn't unique to this site, but it happens, and it sincerely pisses me off.

Also, the ads are crazy. I understand ads are necessary, but they got so out of control, I couldn't enjoy the site anymore, so I turned on Adblock. Twas quite a shame…

I'm also creeped out at some of the stuff people fap to and are proud of on this site.

A big one is that if you downvote/upvote someone on accident, you can't undo it.

Rant over. You may now rant instead.

Last edited Feb 05, 2014 at 10:36PM EST

Sam. Listen

Nobody here will downvote you for being an athiest. There's more athiests here than thiests

Nobody will downvote you for explaining why you are an athiest. The thiests here already know and understand why.

People WILL downvote you for being a dick about your beliefs and being rude to the beliefs of others (that goes both ways)

People WILL downvote you for trying to prompt needless drama and making false presumptions about other peoples attitudes (that goes both ways)

And there is no christian circlejerk in the Nye article. There's a mix of both creationists and athiests collectively agreeing and disagreeing. You however are threatening to disrupt that by injecting serious contempt. Please don't

But I definitely fucking hate the ads that sometimes comes here which make adblocking necessary to use the site. The ones that play video, sound, hijack your open tab or attempt to install malware. Something needs to be done about that

And the people who don't use the image galleries they way they are intended really grind my gears. I've started actively deleting images in galleries that abuse the intended use for it

Probably the only problem I have with KYM other then the ones stated by Blue Screen is Karma. I get that it's supposed to convince people to make better posts in the forums, but since you can view a users Karma received on their wall, I think it can be pretty pressuring sometimes in whether you get positive or negative karma. Plus there are those people who make alternate accounts just to give their original accounts extra Karma.
/End rant

Last edited Feb 06, 2014 at 12:01AM EST

I also dislike the inability to change votes, and think that the buttons should at the very least be moved further apart to reduce incidents of misclicking.

Another, more serious thing that displeases me to some significant degree: the pop-culture creep of the front page. More and more of the front page, I feel, is articles referring to events that occur in the broadcast mediums of meatspace which the Internet then merely "reacts" to. This apparent embracing of the notion that "popular culture" and "Internet culture" will slowly merge into a single culture, especially on a site that holds so much sway over the popular perception of Internet culture, will only serve to rob Internet culture of its nativity that much quicker. By the appearance of things, and how I project the future will play out, the faster the cultures merge, the more likely that the "native" Internet culture will be swallowed and dominated by the stronger and entrenched personality of the popular culture. I would not see the Internet I love suffer such a fate.

Keeping on with the pop-culture raging, I would point out that while the Internet and the Web are global constructs, this site, and the front page in particular, very rarely stray from the English, and to a lesser extent Japanese, speaking web. I often wonder why we only seem to document the culture surrounding such a small pool of websites. Do we simply not attract users from elsewhere? Does the staff prioritize English for pageviews? Are we really considered an intolerable cancer by everyone? I dunno. But it's the fact that I don't know, along with my front page woes, that sometimes makes me feel like the site mission is a farce and that we are all fooling ourselves. I hope we can eventually declare independence from cheezburger and not have to worry so much about putting things that will get more views onto the front page, and become the database we were born to be, like Wikipedia, TvTropes, and ED before us.

And some advice for OP:

While it's good to be unafraid of sharing your beliefs publicly, please don't be so eager to start arguments over them. Truthfully, I don't care to know your beliefs, nor do I care to share mine. This is between each and their impermanent meaty vessel, is it not? The thing I most liked about your "Let's Controversy" thread was that before the thread, we all got along really well on this site. The biggest arguments we seemed to have were localized, and usually concerned site rules and mod authority, and the playful trivialities of this or that fandom. And after that thread began in earnest…nothing changed. We all got along just as well as before, proving that people of such varied beliefs could and do coexist happily. This site is a rare haven of that sort, and therefore most suited to the mission it was charged with. An eye charged with observing and documenting the very storm it is a part of. Thank you for making this apparent with your thread, and I'll thank you to keep this site so peaceable, henceforth.

Supreme the Lurking Monitor said:

I often wonder why we only seem to document the culture surrounding such a small pool of websites

I think a large part has to do with the fact that meme's rarely cross cultures. The language barrier makes it incredibly difficult. Since most of KYM is English and foreign memes (Japan being the exception due to 4chan's influence) don't so well in English, the site mainly focuses on English memes.

As for my rant, the inability to edit fucking comments. Nothing jams my jimmies more than that moment when I click the comment button only to see the little red line under a word. I guess it's so that people don't troll and then edit the comment, but the forum allows editing (also a pain, since there's a time limit and you find yourself in this anxious rush to fix any errors before it laughs at your mistakes), why can't comments?

The bots posting "get fit and healthy without [equivalent of lifting a finger]".

Nobody reads the posts and they're soon banned anyways. Why do they keep trying?!

We all know that KYM is one of the bestest, mostest awesomestest websites out there on the endless sea known as the internet that we all surf.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Last edited Feb 06, 2014 at 07:32AM EST

Slutty Sam wrote:

The title says it all. We all know that KYM is one of the bestest, mostest awesomestest websites out there on the endless sea known as the internet that we all surf. However…

What things do you not like about this site?

I have one I found just a second ago: religious "debates". I started a religion thread quite some time ago if you want to check it out. There's not really a debate though, so feel free to start one! >:)

Well, on my rage, it's just I can't really state my true religious beliefs on here without getting hammered with downvotes. For example, on the Bill Nye article, the comment section is pretty much a huge Christian circle-jerk. If I were to even attempt to interrupt that circle-jerk, I would get pummeled with downvotes and a huge string of replies about being a "euphoric-fedora-wearing-neckbeard" like what usually happens. I've only gotten upvotes for an atheist comment once, and it was only a few, no where near the amount a religious comment would get. Also, I was really holding back on the comment that got upvotes. I'm normally a lot more harsh and have stronger arguments. Well, this is to be expected from any websites with a majority of its users being religious. It isn't unique to this site, but it happens, and it sincerely pisses me off.

Also, the ads are crazy. I understand ads are necessary, but they got so out of control, I couldn't enjoy the site anymore, so I turned on Adblock. Twas quite a shame…

I'm also creeped out at some of the stuff people fap to and are proud of on this site.

A big one is that if you downvote/upvote someone on accident, you can't undo it.

Rant over. You may now rant instead.

[sigh]

There is a couple major problems here which I want to address.

() This isn't a site for major debates, is there something you wanted to address for debate?
() Unpopular opinion gets down votes, there is nothing wrong with that. You are taking a red thumb and a green thumb on the internet far to seriously. As Blue Screen said, you are reading a lot about what is happening in the Bill Nye thread very wrongly.
() People always jerk off. This is the internet after all.

As your points on ads and down voting and up voting, that can be fixed or solved.

That is all.

Gravity Man wrote:

The bots posting "get fit and healthy without [equivalent of lifting a finger]".

Nobody reads the posts and they're soon banned anyways. Why do they keep trying?!

Cause like you mention they're bots that's what they were made to do, try to clog up the site with either useless information or just pure garbage.

The reason we keep seeing "get fit and healthy without [equivalent of lifting a finger]" or "Hindu love black magic marriage potion astrology" is cause the creator(s) keep on reviving the damn things, with only a few changes to their names if they even bother to do that.

In short this problem will only go away permanently is whenever the spambot creator(s) decide that they had they're fun trying to mess up the site. I hope that small explanation helped you in some way about our current spambots.

Last edited Feb 06, 2014 at 08:24AM EST

Three main things:
1. When image or video galleries get locked despite them having legitimate entities, especially after the reasons when they get locket are no longer relevant.
2. Spammers
3. Those who send cease and desist letters to KYM.

CrowTheMagician wrote:

Cause like you mention they're bots that's what they were made to do, try to clog up the site with either useless information or just pure garbage.

The reason we keep seeing "get fit and healthy without [equivalent of lifting a finger]" or "Hindu love black magic marriage potion astrology" is cause the creator(s) keep on reviving the damn things, with only a few changes to their names if they even bother to do that.

In short this problem will only go away permanently is whenever the spambot creator(s) decide that they had they're fun trying to mess up the site. I hope that small explanation helped you in some way about our current spambots.

They're pretty much attempting to make their site appear to be popular

What I can't stand is when people don't respect each other's differences in political or religious beliefs. There are a lot of images and comments that bash religion and certain political figures or ideologies. I'm a pretty far right-wing Catholic, but I don't flood the forums, images galleries, and meme entries with comments where I shove my beliefs down everyone's throats.

In fact, I honestly wish KYM didn't talk about politics or religion at all. For me, KYM is a fun community where we share common interests, document memes, and share tons of lols, and it really kills my buzz whenever I see religion or politics being discussed in a way that's not respectful.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

OP wrote:

I have one I found just a second ago: religious “debates”. I started a religion thread quite some time ago if you want to check it out. There’s not really a debate though, so feel free to start one! >:)

Well, on my rage, it’s just I can’t really state my true religious beliefs on here without getting hammered with downvotes.

If I were to even attempt to interrupt that circle-jerk, I would get pummeled with downvotes and a huge string of replies about being a “euphoric-fedora-wearing-neckbeard” like what usually happens.

Also, I was really holding back on the comment that got upvotes. I’m normally a lot more harsh and have stronger arguments. Well, this is to be expected from any websites with a majority of its users being religious.

It isn’t unique to this site, but it happens, and it sincerely pisses me off.

Are you 15 or a common visitor of r/atheism?

Because I just might've found your problem. Which seems to be that you don't respect the other side of the argument, and instead just try to knock down a straw man.

There's a difference being ranting and respectful discussion, and you dislike that you can't do the first it seems while hating the latter. Ranting of course risks getting downvotes. But if you deliver respectful discussion, you shouldn't fear that as much.

Flare Boost wrote:

There are a lot of images and comments that bash religion and certain political figures or ideologies.
In fact, I honestly wish KYM didn’t talk about politics or religion at all. For me, KYM is a fun community where we share common interests, document memes, and share tons of lols, and it really kills my buzz whenever I see religion or politics being discussed in a way that’s not respectful.

You don't have to visit the entries and/or threads that mention religions and political views.

Religion threads on the forum have been going pretty respectful, which doesn't match with your claim that people here only bash that stuff.

Perhaps you are just visiting the wrong areas of the site each time it occurs.

Last edited Feb 06, 2014 at 10:21AM EST

I wish there wasn't an expiration date on when you can edit your forum posts. Or if it existed, I wish it wasn't such a short time. A half hour is not a very long time at all, and usually after making a post I log right off and go do something else for a few hours before coming back. I do end up proofreading my shit a lot more than I did in the past, which I suppose is not a bad thing in the end, but still.

I also wish the userbase in general wasn't so harsh about which potential memes do and don't deserve an entry. I appreciate that so many people care about what goes on this site, but seriously the criteria some of these users have is pretty restricting, like we should only have the biggest of the big have the honor of a page on this site which would in the end make our list of entries rather small.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Auto-play ads.
Comments that disagree with me.
Facebook commenters who can't look at a tag before saying, "this is not a meme."
The first vote on any comment or forum post is a downvote.
People who stalk me on my profile wall.
The cringeworthy gallery being locked.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I really dislike the injokes in this site.
Specifically the Goat, I need blood and the cheeto.
It is the most bland, most irritating and a bad characterization of this site, which already has KYM-tan. Super Robot Jesus isn't too catastrophic because it is a guideline to making an entry, but idiots attempt to make it something.

I don't hate this site very much, but the community here sucks ass. People fight over titles, I mean, what is the point of that?

chowzburgerz wrote:

Auto-play ads.
Facebook commenters who can't look at a tag before saying, "this is not a meme."
The first vote on any comment or forum post is a downvote.
People who stalk me on my profile wall.
The cringeworthy gallery being locked.

…………………………………………………………………………………………….

I don’t hate this site very much, but the community here sucks ass. People fight over titles, I mean, what is the point of that?

Actually, nobody fights over titles, people kiss ass for titles. One's entertaining, the other one's annoying.

Last edited Feb 06, 2014 at 06:20PM EST

I also agree that folks should not be trying to start flame wars over their beliefs. I understand it's the internet, and I've made that mistake in the past. But You can't take the internet too seriously, either!

Supreme the Lurking Monitor wrote:

I also dislike the inability to change votes, and think that the buttons should at the very least be moved further apart to reduce incidents of misclicking.

Another, more serious thing that displeases me to some significant degree: the pop-culture creep of the front page. More and more of the front page, I feel, is articles referring to events that occur in the broadcast mediums of meatspace which the Internet then merely "reacts" to. This apparent embracing of the notion that "popular culture" and "Internet culture" will slowly merge into a single culture, especially on a site that holds so much sway over the popular perception of Internet culture, will only serve to rob Internet culture of its nativity that much quicker. By the appearance of things, and how I project the future will play out, the faster the cultures merge, the more likely that the "native" Internet culture will be swallowed and dominated by the stronger and entrenched personality of the popular culture. I would not see the Internet I love suffer such a fate.

Keeping on with the pop-culture raging, I would point out that while the Internet and the Web are global constructs, this site, and the front page in particular, very rarely stray from the English, and to a lesser extent Japanese, speaking web. I often wonder why we only seem to document the culture surrounding such a small pool of websites. Do we simply not attract users from elsewhere? Does the staff prioritize English for pageviews? Are we really considered an intolerable cancer by everyone? I dunno. But it's the fact that I don't know, along with my front page woes, that sometimes makes me feel like the site mission is a farce and that we are all fooling ourselves. I hope we can eventually declare independence from cheezburger and not have to worry so much about putting things that will get more views onto the front page, and become the database we were born to be, like Wikipedia, TvTropes, and ED before us.

And some advice for OP:

While it's good to be unafraid of sharing your beliefs publicly, please don't be so eager to start arguments over them. Truthfully, I don't care to know your beliefs, nor do I care to share mine. This is between each and their impermanent meaty vessel, is it not? The thing I most liked about your "Let's Controversy" thread was that before the thread, we all got along really well on this site. The biggest arguments we seemed to have were localized, and usually concerned site rules and mod authority, and the playful trivialities of this or that fandom. And after that thread began in earnest…nothing changed. We all got along just as well as before, proving that people of such varied beliefs could and do coexist happily. This site is a rare haven of that sort, and therefore most suited to the mission it was charged with. An eye charged with observing and documenting the very storm it is a part of. Thank you for making this apparent with your thread, and I'll thank you to keep this site so peaceable, henceforth.

You have touched my cold, dead soul. Now that should be considered some sort of art. Could we all take a moment to enjoy this amazing post?

People uploading images to most visited galleries instead of uploading them to the the galleries dedicated to that exact meme or subculture ( Alternative Universe, Reaction Faces, and Tumblr are the best examples of this happening)
Also people not tagging or sourcing images.

Whenever 9gag trends. Everyone gets their jimmies rustled and feels the need to comment when it would quickly stop trending if they didn't post on the page.
Really, now. Just about every single comment is: "omg this is trending why is it trending"

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Sam. Listen

Nobody here will downvote you for being an athiest. There's more athiests here than thiests

Nobody will downvote you for explaining why you are an athiest. The thiests here already know and understand why.

People WILL downvote you for being a dick about your beliefs and being rude to the beliefs of others (that goes both ways)

People WILL downvote you for trying to prompt needless drama and making false presumptions about other peoples attitudes (that goes both ways)

And there is no christian circlejerk in the Nye article. There's a mix of both creationists and athiests collectively agreeing and disagreeing. You however are threatening to disrupt that by injecting serious contempt. Please don't

But I definitely fucking hate the ads that sometimes comes here which make adblocking necessary to use the site. The ones that play video, sound, hijack your open tab or attempt to install malware. Something needs to be done about that

And the people who don't use the image galleries they way they are intended really grind my gears. I've started actively deleting images in galleries that abuse the intended use for it

We really do need to do something about those ads. I can't install adblock on my school/work computers, and some of these ads have a tendency to crash my browser.

All these controversy articles. Sometimes it can be fun, but I really just come here to laugh, not to rage debate.

Bleh, just needed to get that off my chest.

Jill wrote:

People uploading images to most visited galleries instead of uploading them to the the galleries dedicated to that exact meme or subculture ( Alternative Universe, Reaction Faces, and Tumblr are the best examples of this happening)

This, this, THIS.

It's an endless issue on KYM where people, understandably, want upvotes. While that's fine and good, what's not acceptable is when you take shortcuts to get those upvotes. Whenever people could upload an image to some gallery where it actually belongs, they instead place it in a popular gallery because that's where everyone looks. A few months ago, I could've placed a Man of Steel gif I made into GIFs because it would fit there, and it would get more attention there than in the Superman gallery, but it fits more in the Superman gallery, so that's where I put it.

Another thing I'm sick of image-wise are the image galleries that are subjective. The ones where users can argue on whether or not an image truly belongs there. An excellent example of this was the Cringeworthy gallery (good riddance to it); everyone has a different threshold for what makes them cringe. Case in point: This image was originally in Cringeworthy because the uploader cringed upon seeing it, but most would agree that it belongs in Damn Nature You Scary!

Childhood Ruined and Childhood Enhanced, in my opinion, should be locked at this point. Why? Because half the images in each gallery could arguably go in both. A sexy picture of Princess Peach? Some would say it's Childhood Enhanced; others would say Childhood Ruined. I saw this image the other day following Harold Ramus' death. Why is this in Ruined Childhood, I must ask? It's sad that he died, yes, but this image alone does not ruin Ghostbusters for me--if anything, this image is a heartwarming consolidation on his death. But it is not enhancing Ghostbusters for me, either. Both these galleries (in my opinion of course) need to be locked because they are just far too subjective for users to correctly use them.

Jill wrote:

>Not mentioning the MLP entry then.

That thing has seriously been asked to watch out for it so goddamn many times, and they still fucking refuse to do so.

MedleyManiac wrote:

All these controversy articles. Sometimes it can be fun, but I really just come here to laugh, not to rage debate.

Bleh, just needed to get that off my chest.

Laugh? Rage?

Anyway, this is more of a pet peeve than anything else, but people who say that an image is a repost without providing a link to the original post to backup their claim and people who say that an image is a repost even though the supposed repost and original post are in different galleries.

Overall my issues with the site have been kinda on a per-user basis, so I'm not going to give any exact accounts. (For reference; just people who openly flame other people on the site or those very special ones who like sending death threats. You know who you are.)

But I will say the IRC has let users like that gain a bit of a reputation with the staff and mods, thus have been able to avoid getting banned more times than not. Though it hasn't been that much of an issue recently.

Last edited Mar 09, 2014 at 08:39PM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Overall my issues with the site have been kinda on a per-user basis, so I'm not going to give any exact accounts. (For reference; just people who openly flame other people on the site or those very special ones who like sending death threats. You know who you are.)

But I will say the IRC has let users like that gain a bit of a reputation with the staff and mods, thus have been able to avoid getting banned more times than not. Though it hasn't been that much of an issue recently.

I don't know about that. I dislike people who openly flame and are serious about it, but a little obvious troll never hurt anyone. I happen to like the obvious trolls around here. (Ex: Liberal Genius) Straight out flaming is a bit of an issue for me though. I haven't seen much of that recently though, which is pretty good.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!