Forums / Discussion / General

171,288 total conversations in 5,502 threads

+ New Thread

LET'S CIRCLE-JERK: Things You Love About KYM General

Last posted Mar 17, 2014 at 05:30PM EDT. Added Feb 06, 2014 at 10:32PM EST
34 posts from 25 users

Imalready started a negative thread I have decided that it is appropriate to start a positive thread to balance things out.

I like the forums. They’re so well-designed. I actually think the forums are better programmed and designed than the core of the website itself: the articles and stuff.

The community is awesome. Everyone has the best sense of humor. The main reason I became a regular at this site was because of how much I laughed at the comments. I also wanted to make awesome comments (and force my opinions into stuff, obviously). The mods are pretty cool guys as well. On most sites, mods are freakin’ scary and strict. Here, they’re just regular users with extra powers. (No Bob, I’m not kissing your ass, this is my honest opinion) There’s also a big sense of unity among the users. I’m only kind of miffed that there aren’t more female users. KYM is basically a sausage-fest. I only really know Crimson Locks

I would say a lot more, but I’ll let you guys talk for me.

Feb 06, 2014 at 10:32PM EST

Erin wrote:

Everyone’s gay.

Why is that a positive? It’s not a negative obviously, but why does that matter?

Also, based on most of the posts I see, the majority is straight.

By the way, who first made that badge? It’s pretty cool and I see it on plenty of profiles.

Feb 06, 2014 at 11:03PM EST

We actually do have a lot of LGBT around here.

By the way, who first made that badge? It’s pretty cool and I see it on plenty of profiles.

It might have been opspe. We once had this trend around KYM where we made badges for the things we were into. Some examples:

I like the community. Sure its full of morons sometimes but there’s also some decent people that I like to call friends

Last edited Feb 06, 2014 at 11:22PM EST
Feb 06, 2014 at 11:19PM EST
Sure its full of morons sometimes but there’s also some decent people that I like to call friends

What about morons you can call friends?

Personally… I like people I can relate to on here, as well as those I can discuss and/or argue about on serious business.

Feb 07, 2014 at 12:05AM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

It might have been opspe. We once had this trend around KYM where we made badges for the things we were into. Some examples:

I like the community. Sure its full of morons sometimes but there’s also some decent people that I like to call friends

It was indeed opspe.

There’s a nice, general trust among most of the people on the site. Those that are being dicks are usually readily apparent and easy to ignore.

Feb 07, 2014 at 12:10AM EST

The images are very worthwhile to spend time on. Most of the images are tumblr related, which makes lots of opportunities to make funny jokes and quick laughs, as well as snooty remarks about things it hates.

I find myself wasting losing half an hour to the trending images.

A lot of entries are easy to read, easy to understand with this clean community. There isn’t much of conflicts and trolls around, which might be a bit of a downer, this site is mostly robotic, it isn’t a bad thing, but besides the forums, there isn’t very much emotion. The forums is a large cesspool of emotion.
Nothing about JFF I’ve said many times before but it pretty bland for a ‘for fun’ subforum. Needs more games and less undead mess (Ban the user above you).

This site somehow draws me back in, maybe because of the images, it’s really fun to go there.

Feb 07, 2014 at 12:39AM EST

I love the peacefulness, I love the hugbox-ness. It really stands out, contrasted with the rest of the Internet. I feel like we’re much more accepting/welcoming of all the weird and unusual of the Web that gets a lot of ridicule or hate elsewhere, especially after shutting down “Cringeworthy”. Furry? It’s whatevs. You got a tulpa? Intriguing, tell us more. That one fetish? If it floatz, you ship it boatz.

The moderatorship is amazing. They never let power go to their head, do not aspire to it, and really feel like “one of the people”. 10/10 would follow willingly.

I absolutely love the For Science! attitude of the community.

Feb 07, 2014 at 01:14AM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

There was a dubstep club? I’m supper jelly. Why wasn’t I invited? Am I…

Too indie for you?

Last edited Feb 07, 2014 at 11:09AM EST
Feb 07, 2014 at 11:09AM EST

I like that we can now tag and source other people’s images, it makes it infinity easier to find things (of course, if uploaders would do that more to begin with, this wouldn’t be a issue at all). I glad that deadpooled entries are not locked from uploads (unless other circumstances require it) so that if more examples are found, they can still be documented.

The community seems pretty good. Sure, there’s a few people who go out of their way to post “I don’t like X” on pages dedicated to “X”, but most of them cool their jets after a while. Most of the users are pretty excepting of others no matter what things they like (provided they don’t try spreading these things everywhere). There are probably a bunch of other things that I like that I take for granted.

Feb 07, 2014 at 12:06PM EST

Supreme the Lurking Monitor wrote:

I love the peacefulness, I love the hugbox-ness. It really stands out, contrasted with the rest of the Internet. I feel like we’re much more accepting/welcoming of all the weird and unusual of the Web that gets a lot of ridicule or hate elsewhere, especially after shutting down “Cringeworthy”. Furry? It’s whatevs. You got a tulpa? Intriguing, tell us more. That one fetish? If it floatz, you ship it boatz.

The moderatorship is amazing. They never let power go to their head, do not aspire to it, and really feel like “one of the people”. 10/10 would follow willingly.

I absolutely love the For Science! attitude of the community.

This right here. I had left several forums before because their communities were incredibly harsh to anyone who dared disliked something they didn’t like. KYM doesn’t follow that.

Well, except for maybe 9gag…

Feb 07, 2014 at 01:57PM EST

Snowie wrote:

This right here. I had left several forums before because their communities were incredibly harsh to anyone who dared disliked something they didn’t like. KYM doesn’t follow that.

Well, except for maybe 9gag…

Tried the comment sections?

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:44PM EST

I don’t care what anyone says, KYM is something I will defend until my dying breath.

Every single day I get somebody saying how much KYM sucks (usually former members), and every single day I react the same way: smile and roll my eyes.

I absolutely love this community, and will quite possibly never stop loving it, as long as it never stops loving me.

Last edited Feb 07, 2014 at 04:50PM EST
Feb 07, 2014 at 04:42PM EST

Well if you want my opinion, Know Your Meme is a better place than Facebook and Twitter together, I’ll give that.
Also the lack of trolls here.

Last edited Feb 07, 2014 at 05:04PM EST
Feb 07, 2014 at 05:04PM EST

The forums is still a small enough community where there isn’t multiple sub-communities that divide up the website. That’s what I like about it, it’s still all one forum. Not a giant clump of forums. And it’s why I haven’t found another forum I particularly liked yet.

Feb 07, 2014 at 07:08PM EST

@Cute

There was a dubstep club? I’m supper jelly. Why wasn’t I invited?

DNB club actually, but I included Dubstep into it. Only me, opspe and Algernon took part in it I think since we were the only real DNB fans around here. The rest of you guys weren’t underground enough. It didn’t really take off.

I don’t think you were around at the time

@elma

Know Your Meme is a better place than Facebook and Twitter together

I concur. This place is far more social than Facebook.

On Facebook everyone just talks about themselves. Here we have actual discussions

Last edited Feb 07, 2014 at 09:01PM EST
Feb 07, 2014 at 08:59PM EST
I don’t think you were around at the time.

You don’t think I was around at the time? I was around before being around was even cool. Guess that makes me…

A square.

@elmashojaldra
Yes! The lack of trolls is good, only we got spambots to take their place. XD

Last edited Feb 07, 2014 at 09:30PM EST
Feb 07, 2014 at 09:22PM EST

@Cute

No I mean like you weren’t around the small corner of KYM where that was taking place. Of course you were around generally at that time.

Feb 07, 2014 at 09:41PM EST

elmashojaldra wrote:

Well if you want my opinion, Know Your Meme is a better place than Facebook and Twitter together, I’ll give that.

Facebook is full of attention whores. Twitter is just plain stupid.

Feb 08, 2014 at 08:24AM EST

My favorite thing is reading all the funny comments, laughing at all the pictures, and talking about common interests with other users.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:04AM EST

elmashojaldra wrote:

You missed the “Golden Age of Trolls” by about a year.

Feb 10, 2014 at 01:47PM EST

KYM is for me a wonderful paradise. The discussions about every kind of topic are entertaining, but most importantly, thoughtful.

Feb 11, 2014 at 02:27PM EST

I like the fandom community, the JFF threads, the amount of sports fans on here, the mods and admins, the fact that the KYM commenters and the FB commenters can usually agree on the entries, and how users can give back to others.

Feb 12, 2014 at 05:26PM EST

I totally love it when people necro threads that were going to lock…

Mar 08, 2014 at 09:35AM EST

>implying you can accidentally post in a thread that’s on page 3

P.S. mods pls lock

Request declined unless this escalates. Just keep it civil -BSOD

Last edited Mar 09, 2014 at 09:45AM EDT
Mar 08, 2014 at 12:26PM EST

I love how KYM is a fun, crazy, yet peaceful side of the internet.
Plenty of good forum discussions
Lots of information on the latest memes and internet cultures.
Great community

And the best part, no cancerous forced memes being posted by visitors of 9Gag on my page. (i’m looking at you, Facebook)

Mar 09, 2014 at 06:40AM EDT

I like how I can contribute to this site by adding to the image and video galleries, especially the entries that are really lacking them. It’s not much but it feels a bit nice knowing I can contribute (i.e. not be completely worthless.)

Last edited Mar 09, 2014 at 08:32AM EDT
Mar 09, 2014 at 08:29AM EDT

> The joyous, friendly community that is varied, clever, humorous, and doesn’t require a flawless record with the outside world to fit in with.
> The fact that everything you do can potentially help and assist with the advancement of the site as a whole.
> The wonderful, satisfactory felling of accomplishment as you receive various accolades, such as top comment, an influx of karma, or a shiny new title.
> The fact that users are not just a pic and a name, but an entire persona encapsulated within everything they do, from usernames referencing pop culture, to unique methods of commenting and posting. Often, you’ll learn tons more stuff about one person from their comment than on any other site.
> The fact that KYM fells more like social networking than any other I’ve seen. It’s large, yet tightly knit. diverse, yet constant enough that newbies can learn the ropes without much fuss.

. . .

The list could go on and on, but then I’ll start to go off-topic. In short, I love this site, I love you guys, and I hope for nothing but the best for the future!

Mar 10, 2014 at 05:04PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!