Forums / Discussion / General

172,871 total conversations in 5,672 threads

+ New Thread

Cosplay General

Last posted Apr 07, 2014 at 03:41AM EDT. Added Feb 10, 2014 at 09:27PM EST
65 posts from 20 users

AKA, Convention Attention Whoring Thread.

It’s been pretty much a year since we have had one of these and I am wondering what KYM’s Cosplay Community is like this year. So post your previous/current costumes, plans for future costumes, and cosplayers you want to fuck adore.

I am in the middle of a costume assembly myself. And it should be ready to show off in a few weeks.

Last edited Feb 10, 2014 at 09:28PM EST

Ann Hiro wrote:

The man in the first post is one of Natsuru’s favorite cosplayers.

The man!?!?!?
That’s a dude in the first post?!?

Last edited Feb 10, 2014 at 10:23PM EST

Coincidentally, I decided yesterday that I’m going to assemble a Big Boss costume from MGS3 Snake Eater slowly over this year, and hopefully I’ll have all the components to it by Halloween of this year. I would spend a lot of money at once and have it all right now, but currently I’m living off of Ramen, so I don’t think that would be ideal for my budget.

Sadly I do not have any cosplays ready to wear at Anime Boston this year :( I sadly don’t have pictures of old cosplays laying around either that I can attention whore with. I do have quite the plans for AB 2015, though.

First, I have a group cosplay planned and we are going to be the Mane 6 in their Grand Galloping Gala gowns. We’re basing our designs after this:

I’m going to be Fluttershy. This takes priority over anything else because it’s going to be a group

Second, I plan on cosplaying Anna in her coronation dress from Frozen. I am especially excited about this because it will be my first cosplay where I will be styling my own hair for it instead of wearing a wig. It will also be easy to figure out making this cosplay after Fluttershy’s seeing as the dress styles are fairly similar.

I just love ball gowns, ok guys? Don’t judge me.

Last edited Feb 10, 2014 at 11:31PM EST

Okay, so I bought a wig for a cosplay I am going to be doing. Going as Reimu next con I go to, but I have a bit of an issue.

1. Why was the ribbon made out to be a headband? Why the hell does each cosplay manufaturer in the world always assume it’s planted on the top of her head!?! Uhg, I am going to need to find a bannana clip to attach the ribbon to.
2. Those hairtubes don’t stay in place. At all. Once again I am going to need to manually install bannana clips or hairbands into them.

At least the wig it actually came with was nice. I’m probably not going to touch the headdress stuff until the main costume dress comes in, since either one I wind up picking comes with the ribbons as well.

Last edited Feb 11, 2014 at 04:06AM EST

@Natsuru and Muffinlicious
Aw, thank you. I might do Miku again this year or possibly civilian clothes Mikasa.

Anyway, can we just make it a rule right now that we should state whether or not we’re the person in the cosplay because I’m getting confused (I’m also not super familiar with cosplay if these pics are relatively well-known among the cosplay community I wouldn’t recognize them).

@Meledy
that is really good. It certainly helps that you are pretty.

@Natsuru
Are you cosplaying in your profile pic?

I’ve been wanting to cosplay for a while now, unfortunately I have no one to cosplay with nor do I go to anime cons. I suppose if I were to cosplay , it would be at an edm festival as I go to those regularly. I have been thinking about MAYBE cosplaying as Aikuro from Kill la Kill. It’s simple enough really.

Ah, no. The girl in my profile pic is the professional cosplayer Enako.

No matter how good I wind up with makeup I don’t think I will be able to make myself look like another race. n_n;;

And I have never gone to an EDM Festival before, but if you do go cosplay as one just be prepared to get A LOT of attention.

Last edited Feb 11, 2014 at 02:07PM EST

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Ah, no. The girl in my profile pic is the professional cosplayer Enako.

No matter how good I wind up with makeup I don’t think I will be able to make myself look like another race. n_n;;

And I have never gone to an EDM Festival before, but if you do go cosplay as one just be prepared to get A LOT of attention.

I wore a master chief costume to Disneyland Halloween a while back. It was back when Halo was still bigger than COD. I got plenty of attention, not because the costume was anything special, just because I master chief.
I don’t imagine dressing up as Aikuro would get quite that much attention though. Honestly, I’m sure most people would think I’m just wearing a wig.

MedleyManiac wrote:

@Natsuru and Muffinlicious
Aw, thank you. I might do Miku again this year or possibly civilian clothes Mikasa.

Anyway, can we just make it a rule right now that we should state whether or not we’re the person in the cosplay because I’m getting confused (I’m also not super familiar with cosplay if these pics are relatively well-known among the cosplay community I wouldn’t recognize them).

It should be obvious that Muffinlicious is the little girl you see in both of his pics.

Last edited Feb 11, 2014 at 05:05PM EST

Oh boy a cosplay thread! I was thinking about making one of these! Now I can show off- I mean uhhh… describe the process of making my own cosplay costume and props for Anime Boston (next march 21st-23rd)

Can’t get any pictures of it now, but I’m going as The Medic

And I’m making a Quick Fix to go with it (both parts, medigun and backpack)

Anyone mind if I use this thread to document both of their progress in making? If so, you can feel free to ask questions about it if you like.

thegreato wrote:

Oh boy a cosplay thread! I was thinking about making one of these! Now I can show off- I mean uhhh… describe the process of making my own cosplay costume and props for Anime Boston (next march 21st-23rd)

Can’t get any pictures of it now, but I’m going as The Medic

And I’m making a Quick Fix to go with it (both parts, medigun and backpack)

Anyone mind if I use this thread to document both of their progress in making? If so, you can feel free to ask questions about it if you like.

th medik isnt japnese hes germun do u evn animoo

Oh boy, Cosplay Prop Progress report 1!

This is just a collection of pics for the “raw materials” of my prop so far (don’t have all the pieces yet) See last post and or wiki article for reference: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Quick-Fix

An emptied fire extinguisher for the backpack

Medigun end piece

Pieces for Medigun throw switch base

Potential Medigun end piece parts

More potential Medigun end piece parts

Even more potential Medigun end piece parts + Tubing for backpack and Medigun

Aluminum pieces to build the frame of the backpack. (Bolts included)

Look good so far?

Does anyone here know what Uniform Cloth is? The costume I want to buy lists that as one of the materials and I haven’t been able to gather more than “it’s cotton mixed with other crap” explanation.

Last edited Feb 13, 2014 at 06:38AM EST

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Does anyone here know what Uniform Cloth is? The costume I want to buy lists that as one of the materials and I haven’t been able to gather more than “it’s cotton mixed with other crap” explanation.

Found a useful answer here :

“When an overseas cosplay seller refers to “uniform cloth” as the fabric used for their costumes, what they mean is a generic poly/cotton blend of low quality that can be used for almost anything in mass produced garment-making. It’s not what actual uniforms are made out of, certainly not military or school uniforms."

I don’t know if you came across this already, but I think it clarifies a bit. What exactly are you looking for about it?

Peacock Roy wrote:

Found a useful answer here :

“When an overseas cosplay seller refers to “uniform cloth” as the fabric used for their costumes, what they mean is a generic poly/cotton blend of low quality that can be used for almost anything in mass produced garment-making. It’s not what actual uniforms are made out of, certainly not military or school uniforms."

I don’t know if you came across this already, but I think it clarifies a bit. What exactly are you looking for about it?

So basically the stuff thicker Halloween costumes are made out of… alright. It mainly seems to be mostly the white trim that is made out of that (or is just not cotton I guess).

I went ahead and ordered the costume anyways. If Uniform Cloth is as shady as it sounds I will go ahead and leave you guys a warning.

I kind of want to cosplay as rainbow dash at the next Seattle comic-con.
I could get the light blue hoodie and rainbow wig for cheap. I have the balls for it too. (don’t read that wrong)
If I do, I’ll post it.

Last edited Feb 14, 2014 at 01:57AM EST

MedleyManiac posted:

I don’t cosplay myself, but I’ve gotta admit that this is a very lovely picture. I really like it.

…Hmm, but for some odd reason, you in this picture keep reminding me of some famous League of Legends streamer, but I just can’t figure out who, or why. Weird.

I don’t cosplay, or go to conventions, but if I did I would go engy! I have a giant tractor wrench that isn’t the exact same as the engineer’s wrench, but is the same size/proportion. Wouldn’t be too hard to get an outfit together I’m sure.

Cosplay Prop Progress report 2:

Bending/cutting aluminum pieces (dad in image)

Raw materials for throw switch

Raw, white part of backpack (unpainted, not cut down to size, and not sanded)

Top and bottom of backpack (wood inserted into aluminum frames)

Crossbars (aluminum)

Backpack materials so far (Cut rough white piece to size and sanded it down with
belt sander to appear more rounded, bulbs for top included)

Mien Archimedes! (got at last anime boston, will be wearing on my shoulder)

I really like how much progress me and my dad are making with this so far! For anyone who’s curious most to all of the parts have come from around the house or hardware store. I may or may not work on it more tonight. (upload more pics.)

To be honest, I don’t really go to conventions or anything. I just like to dress up and walk around my house as a character, for Halloween, or maybe a cosplay party or something. I might go to a convention sometime, but I don’t really see why I should.

Sam wrote:

To be honest, I don’t really go to conventions or anything. I just like to dress up and walk around my house as a character, for Halloween, or maybe a cosplay party or something. I might go to a convention sometime, but I don’t really see why I should.

You really should :)

The atmosphere at them (cons) from my experience, is both really fun and excited, and everyone there is generally very friendly and happy.

It’s really like going to a place where everyone has the same interests; and so you can basically walk up to a sizable group of people and just strike up a conversation about anime, videogames, or whatever, and they’ll start talking right back. It really is the place where you can become good friends with random strangers that you would have never talked to anyways.

And the markets, pannels, and cosplay (both taking pictures and having your picture taken) are all great bonuses.

So I’ve been doing research and scouting for materials for Fluttershy and I am just getting more and more excited by this

I found this nice pattern on amazon that I’m going to use as a starting point for the dress

Pattern C is the closest to what I wanna do, and I can easily recycle this pattern for Anna’s dress, so it’s a win-win.
I also found a good wig. A lot of Fluttershy wigs tend to be straight which bothers me because I prefer to think of her mane as being wavy, especially during the gala, so I’m happy I found a nice wig with pretty curls

It advertises as being heat resistant and has good customer reviews so I’m comfortable ordering this. The color isn’t perfect but I can live with it

My spring break is coming up soon and is a week before Anime Boston, so it’s gonna be cosplay week for me. Gonna make a big fabric shopping trip to get everything I need and just sew my butt off. I don’t plan on having anything done by AB, but it would be amazing if I finished by then.

Sigh Import is probably has another full week before it ships. It’s been causing me to look around at other costumes. Particularly this Reimu Queen of Hearts dress has caught my eye. Too bad if not for the bare back I might have gotten that one instead.

Natsuru wrote:

Particularly this Reimu Queen of Hearts dress has caught my eye. Too bad if not for the bare back I might have gotten that one instead.

Hmm.. I was wondering.. If the costume is otherwise good, but you didn’t like the bare back. Could it have been possible to use some sort of “martial art” wraps or bandages? Or maybe just any sort of thin undershirt to cover the torso, or something like that?

Or do you think it would’ve conflicted with the costume design too much to be a possible solution?

Anyways, like I said earlier, I don’t know much about cosplay myself.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Last edited Feb 24, 2014 at 06:29AM EST

It would be possible to belly bind with martial tape, but not necessarily that stable to move around in as a Waist Cincher (it’s like a softcore corset). Though how much are bandages? Like… 12 bucks for 4 yards? I might look into it.

EDIT: And just calculated it out. I would need 4-6 packs to REALLY bind down my waist. However on the other hand, I also thought of Nude Tanktops might be an option as well.

Last edited Feb 24, 2014 at 06:50AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!