Forums / Discussion / General

232,892 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Humble Bundle Civ V Sale!

Last posted Feb 12, 2014 at 01:30PM EST. Added Feb 11, 2014 at 08:59PM EST
7 posts from 4 users

So The Humble Bundle just threw up Civ V in their recent bundle. You can get it for $10 with most of the DLC, or for $15 you get the new DLC pack as well. (Plus you get a couple of other Civ games.) This is really cool because I know there was a thread about us getting together and playing Civ V sometime soon, so this would be a chance for you guys to grab it if you wanted too.

Hit up this thread if you do decide to buy it and maybe we can get the ball rolling on this again.

Last edited Feb 11, 2014 at 09:00PM EST

Yeah! It's kinda like Risk (I think, I've never actually played risk), but it's a turned based strategy game. You start off first turn completely surrounded by this "Fog of war" (it's literally a fog that encompass the map) and you have to try and expand your boarders by founding cites and attacking others. There's not just one way to win either. There are 5 different types of victories and you have to get to at least one of them before the game is over. (each game can last a while though. Easily 8 hours to a day if you're going for one of the tougher ones.) It's fun though. Even if you reach one victory, you can still keep going an go for another. It's hard to stop yourself once you get going though. The game works in "era's" as well. You can start off fairly primitive and work your way all the way to the information age. Here's a screenshot from the game:

It's not at all like risk tbh

It's really one of those games that are relatively easy to pick up and understand but there's a lot of depth that you can get into with city placement (to tactically control resources for growth, as well as strategically powerful chokepoints for defense), tile upgrading, promotion perks for units (depending on where they are or what they are going to be attacking), build order for city buildings… It goes on and on, the skill ceiling is really incredible for where the skill floor is

If you can pick up both DLCs when you first start, that makes a big difference for how you learn. When I got Gods and Kings, Religion made a massive impact on tactics and even city placement, so I had to reteach myself a lot, but it wasn't tooooo awful cause a decent amount of the religion system was like 4's. I still haven't picked up Brave New World, but my brother has, and a lot of the changes he's telling me about just completely astound me because they're so different from what I'm used to, plus some of the new Civs added in DLCs completely revolve around new mechanics (Venice from BNW comes to mind; a very intriguing concept that's significantly removed from the standard playstyle, also Sweden in G&K which had a really cool playstyle which rewarded diplomacy and friendship with other Nations as well as City States over warfare [this was before the diplomacy revamp in BNW so they may have even changed again since the last time I used them])

Fuck Ghandi

Last edited Feb 12, 2014 at 03:36AM EST

Meh, Ghandi is usually alright, it's usually Washington that always backstabs me.
Fuck Washington.

Anyways, yeah, Brave New World isn't that important of a DLC. I don't have it and it's a good game as is. I went straight in with Gods and Kings plus the other minor DLC and picked it up just fine, so I don't really know what you miss if you play without it. I think it's possible to go into the game and turn off the DLC if you don't want to play with it as well.

I'd say it's reasonable to spring the extra $5 for the BNW dlc though, because it's like $20 right now on steam and it doesn't get much cheaper than that during the sales. I'm not going to buy the Bundle this time around because I already have V and all the other DLC, so it doesn't make much since for me to pay $15 for BNW, but if I didn't I would buy it in a heartbeat because the total package is worth at least $70 on steam right now.

Glorious Poland master race.

Even if you already own everything except Brave New World, I would strongly recommend shelling out the money for it, since it's still thirty bucks I haven't seen it on sale for less than twenty. BNW adds a lot of stuff that really enhances the depth without making it any more difficult to play; the new culture victory is a lot more fun and a lot less passive, while trade routes add a touch of realism (but they're basically free money so it's a little imbalanced).

I think it'd be fun to get a multiplayer game going with some of the KYM folk. I've never played a multiplayer game with more than four people.

Last edited Feb 12, 2014 at 01:21PM EST

Meh, I'll just wait for the summer sale. I'm sure they'll put it for about 66% off then. They had it at 33% at one point in the winter sale.

Also, I just paid $3.50 and got the basic pack of games since I already own civ 5.
>feelsgoodman.jpg

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!