Forums / Discussion / General

169,830 total conversations in 5,437 threads

+ New Thread

How To Delete Recent Places Entirely Forever?

Last posted Feb 15, 2014 at 05:44AM EST. Added Feb 14, 2014 at 11:43PM EST
9 posts from 5 users

This stupid folder called “Recent Places” showed up on my desktop and now I can’t seem to get rid of it. Anyone got any ideas?

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:43PM EST

I just tried moving my recent places folder to my desktop, but that only creates a shortcut that I can easily just delete.

The actual recent places folder cannot be removed since thats a windows system folder, but it can moved. If you were able to move it to your desktop, you should be able to move it back where it belongs

When you try to delete it, or move it, what does it do?

Last edited Feb 15, 2014 at 12:52AM EST
Feb 15, 2014 at 12:51AM EST

Anyways, it is okay to make a thread just for this?

I’ll be the judge of that, Wiosna. This isn’t the right website for tech advice since we don’t have any place to put threads like these. However, it’s not like were flooding with these so I’ll let this stand until Gamma finds a solution. We have people here who could help.

But if you guys have computer problems, it’s better you ask Tomshardware.com or something

Last edited Feb 15, 2014 at 01:00AM EST
Feb 15, 2014 at 12:59AM EST

OP, you didn’t give us your OS. How are we supposed to help you without that basic info? (I’m pretty sure you’re using Windows, but which iteration? There’s different steps to get to different places in each OS.)

Feb 15, 2014 at 01:14AM EST

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

OP, you didn’t give us your OS. How are we supposed to help you without that basic info? (I’m pretty sure you’re using Windows, but which iteration? There’s different steps to get to different places in each OS.)

Windows 7, I think.

Feb 15, 2014 at 01:37AM EST

Ah, well if it is 7, then Wiosna’s link should work just fine. I’d screenshot how to do it step by step for you, but I’m running 8 right now and I don’t feel like booting up my dinosaur to do it. lol.

But yeah, from that link:

• Right click on start button
  • Click on Properties
  • Click start menu tab
  • Under privacy uncheck the options:
  • Store and display recently opened programs in the start menu
    If you want to keep your recent programs in the start menu, don’t do the one above.
  • Store and display recently opened items in the start menu and the taskbar.
    This option should completely take away that “Recent Files” folder, but if it doesn’t let me
    me know because it seems like there was another option you also had to unselect.
Feb 15, 2014 at 02:38AM EST

Oddly enough, all this waiting for replies, and I noticed the “recent files” box just… disappeared.

How odd. (Though I’ll karma CM’s post anyway just in case I need this again in the future)

Feb 15, 2014 at 04:00AM EST

install CCleaner, tick the box “recent documents” under Windows Explorer, run.

Feb 15, 2014 at 05:44AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!