Forums / Discussion / General

168,567 total conversations in 5,400 threads

+ New Thread


Your KYM Position: Liberal or Conservative?

Last posted Feb 28, 2014 at 07:42AM EST. Added Feb 25, 2014 at 08:25PM EST
27 posts from 24 users

That is for memes put on this site of course!

Liberal: You want more memes to be made, but the majority are not extremely memetic. Basically most of the staff’s point of view.

Conservative: You’d rather KYM only have limited entries in quantity, but the entries themselves all have massive spread and are indisputably popular on the internet.


Go ahead and state your position and perhaps debate with the opposing side below!

As for me, I’m more liberal. I’m not extremely liberal as to most everything even slightly common on the internet is a meme, but I have to agree with Don. I’d rather have lots of memes and have an extensive database instead of a select few very concise articles.

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 08:26PM EST
Feb 25, 2014 at 08:25PM EST
Quote

LIBERALS ARE PUSHING THE GAY-MEME-AGENDA AND ARE UNAMERICANET.

On another note, why can’t we have both?
Feb 25, 2014 at 08:32PM EST
Quote

Bionic Kraken wrote:

Can I be moderate?

Sure! There’s the totally left-wing liberal and totally right-wing conservative, but of course there’s a huge space in the middle. I’m more to the left of the spectrum, but not nearly all the way. If you wanted to you could go right in the middle and be meme-agnostic.

Feb 25, 2014 at 08:47PM EST
Quote

ITT: Sam sticks his hand up Don’s ass and uses him as a puppet.

I knew the moment I saw this thread, you would be the OP.


Moderate, for myself. Not everything needs to be cataloged, as not everything has enough significance to be considered internet-noteworthy or memetic. However, the Submission/Confirmation/Deadpool/Delete system seems to clear out most of the junk that gets submitted.

There are some faults with it, as noted by the number of Pony-related submissions that were at first confirmed but only because of how large the surge of pony-related content was. It was overwhelming for both moderators and staff, and the large fanbase made sorting the bad entries difficult. Many of those entries need to be cleared out now, as they really aren’t up to standard. It’s actually damaged the ability for pony-related memes to get confirmation – everyone sees it’s MLP, and they start bleating about how there are too many pony memes already and blahblahblah.

How often do you have something like that come along online though? The entry/database mods clean up the trash, and the system works for the most part.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:22PM EST
Quote

I’ll be centrist then. I believe in a middle ground of those two extremes. ’

Anything that gets widespread attention on the internet is fair game for documenting, but focus and priority always belong to the largest, historical and definitive memes as well as the standard for what qualifies as a meme and what does not

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:37PM EST
Quote

Harshwhinny wrote:

ITT: Sam sticks his hand up Don’s ass and uses him as a puppet.

I knew the moment I saw this thread, you would be the OP.


Moderate, for myself. Not everything needs to be cataloged, as not everything has enough significance to be considered internet-noteworthy or memetic. However, the Submission/Confirmation/Deadpool/Delete system seems to clear out most of the junk that gets submitted.

There are some faults with it, as noted by the number of Pony-related submissions that were at first confirmed but only because of how large the surge of pony-related content was. It was overwhelming for both moderators and staff, and the large fanbase made sorting the bad entries difficult. Many of those entries need to be cleared out now, as they really aren’t up to standard. It’s actually damaged the ability for pony-related memes to get confirmation – everyone sees it’s MLP, and they start bleating about how there are too many pony memes already and blahblahblah.

How often do you have something like that come along online though? The entry/database mods clean up the trash, and the system works for the most part.

In all seriousness though, I never kiss mod/staff ass and everyone knows it by now. I’m surprised you couldn’t tell by now. I treat all the users just the same. I only judge based on actions. I don’t see a “Brand New Member” title and automatically dismiss the user’s input and I don’t see a mod badge and immediately start jerking them off. I don’t always agree with Don’s entries. While most of his posts are great, I do have to go “Really?” to a few of them. I still overall support his coverage of smaller memes though, including [most] advice animals.


Cool guys! This thread is going pretty well I’d say. I like what you all have to say so far. I do agree that memes shouldn’t be immediately dismissed just for being a pony-related meme Harshwinny. Abuse or no abuse of the system, there are still undocumented pony memes that ned to be covered and ones that may come in the future.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:54PM EST
Quote

So, most people are Liberal.

*Gently raises hand for Conservative

But I’m not saying it has to be rock solid popular and spread across the internet, I’d rather have at least some spread and not a small reddit thread or twitter trend. It’s more quality over quantity for me. Or for the sake of comparing things, I don’t need gold, but I don’t want iron, I’d like steel. I’m really in between, but more towards Conservative.

One more thing I wan’t to say, some of these small trends/threads can have potential and are creative and funny. Just don’t confirm them so fast, wait some time and see if it has changed into something big, or fallen into the forgotten depths of the internet.

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 10:13PM EST
Feb 25, 2014 at 09:54PM EST
Quote

Most definetly I’d say liberal.

Having an expansive database to pick and choose from, as well as to improve upon if they become better is certainly a step up from having a few really REALLY good ones. More is better than less, I suppose.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:00PM EST
Quote

I thought this was going to be a politics thread, now my communist propaganda sits unused.
I think only active/non-BNM users should be able to make entries and that quality is vastly superior to quantity.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:54AM EST
Quote

I prefer documenting it even if it just pops up on one site, yet there’s some things where I’m just like…

My only thing is if it goes on here, it needs to be WELL documented and formatted. No wall-o-text, no “because it is funny.” Usually I’m fine with most articles, but I’m more lenient towards deadpools than most because they’re still important even though they weren’t pervasive. That being said, I guess that makes me more liberal. Not that I’d post liberal articles myself, but I probably support documenting them before making the final decision. (I usually draw the line when someone tries to make an entry for a single image macro.)

Last edited Feb 26, 2014 at 01:22AM EST
Feb 26, 2014 at 01:18AM EST
Quote

norsehorse89 wrote:

anarchy

Careful, now…

We already have a problem with these types of articles.

Feb 26, 2014 at 06:58AM EST
Quote

Liberal. there are quite a few things that are funny but dont have the Maximum Overdrive thats needed to become full Meme status or are short runs

Feb 26, 2014 at 08:59AM EST
Quote

I’m somewhere in the middle but leaning a bit more to Liberal. You’d never know, maybe that one not-so-famous meme explodes once the KYM community gets a whiff of it.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:21AM EST
Quote

norsehorse89 wrote:

anarchy

I see a fellow follower.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Praise the Helix! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

I would have made the Helix joke anyway, but, to be serious…. I’m not one for politics. Not even meme politics.

Feb 26, 2014 at 01:29PM EST
Quote

GaryTheStoßtruppen wrote:

So, most people are Liberal.

*Gently raises hand for Conservative

But I’m not saying it has to be rock solid popular and spread across the internet, I’d rather have at least some spread and not a small reddit thread or twitter trend. It’s more quality over quantity for me. Or for the sake of comparing things, I don’t need gold, but I don’t want iron, I’d like steel. I’m really in between, but more towards Conservative.

One more thing I wan’t to say, some of these small trends/threads can have potential and are creative and funny. Just don’t confirm them so fast, wait some time and see if it has changed into something big, or fallen into the forgotten depths of the internet.

This is essentially my views on KYM and IRL politics. Said well, Gary.

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:43PM EST
Quote

>implying this won’t devolve into a standard liberal/conservative debate thread

In the context of OP, I’d have to go with Liberal (I’m a Libertarian-leaning Conservative IRL). Memes don’t necessarily have to be particularly “big” or “well known” to count as a meme. It’s especially important KYM document the smaller ones as that’s one of the site’s main purposes: to give people who have no idea all the information they need about the different in-jokes they keep on running into.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:15PM EST
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

>implying this won’t devolve into a standard liberal/conservative debate thread

In the context of OP, I’d have to go with Liberal (I’m a Libertarian-leaning Conservative IRL). Memes don’t necessarily have to be particularly “big” or “well known” to count as a meme. It’s especially important KYM document the smaller ones as that’s one of the site’s main purposes: to give people who have no idea all the information they need about the different in-jokes they keep on running into.

That’s pretty much exactly how I feel on the subject. The site is so people know what’s going on. If we don’t document some things, even if they are small, people will be confused. (IRL though, I’m still looking into that. For now, I’m just independent, but we shouldn’t get too into that)

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:18PM EST
Quote

I’m not just memetically conservative, I’m a tory. MEME ROYALTY ALL THE WAY, DUDES

Kidding aside, what I like is separate from what I think is legitimate. My idea of meme royalty is of those memes that really don’t make sense in the first place – “Are You Frustrated?”, Reverse Memes, “…Rustled my Jimmies”, etc. But given that people everywhere can act stupid, even the stupid Reddit-spawned rage creatures advice animals have merit on the grounds that somewhere, someone is inevitably using them, and sometimes enough people are using them to make them worth confirming.

So yeah, maybe I want to be a tory, but I accept some meme liberalism into my life.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:23AM EST
Quote

Same as my political views: Cynic.

Don’t spam annoying advice animals and don’t beat unfunny memes like Doge into the ground. Find balance.

Feb 28, 2014 at 07:42AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!