Forums / Discussion / General

232,888 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Games For Windows Live shutdown, best birthday gift ever.

Last posted Feb 27, 2014 at 03:12AM EST. Added Feb 26, 2014 at 03:42PM EST
10 posts from 10 users

Yes thats right, GFWL shuts down july 1st 2014. July 1st Happens to be my birthday.

GFWL was honestly like distilled sweaty genitals processed into software, and it caused steam to constantly disconnect whilst playing Dawn Of War 2. Not only that but it always had trouble connecting to microsoft's subpar servers which basically meant
"no connection? Not a problem on your end? no games for you"
Happy birthday to me, unfortunately great games like red faction might lose multiplayer features due to the removal of this poor excuse for DRM

Anyone have some some GFWL microsuffering stories to share?

Last edited Feb 26, 2014 at 03:43PM EST

@ captain badass
imagine steam with no sales, bugs introduced with new updates, no helpful support, no community, DRM so extreme that you cannot play multiplayer games without problems, updates that crash and cannot be uninstalled/reinstalled without installing an older version or rolling back drivers AND play in offline mode only, bugs that don't let you save your game or delete the saves after, you have to type the serial key of your game almost every time because GWFL doesn't trust you, any games bought on steam that use GFWL were almost guaranteed to not work

its so bad that when batman arkham city was fully moved to steam, everyone was given GOTY edition for free if they already purchased the standard version

Yeah, that and having Licenses so locked down you are scared to update anypart of your computer. I had a the gold edition of flight simulator and lost my license due to a re-install. They wouldn't let me move it, making the $50 game worthless. Windows had an absolute terrible system all around and this is sorta the best thing that could happen. Don't know if that means old DRM games will open back up. I kinda hope so. I wold like to play Flight simulator again. Maybe I'll just go get a pirate copy. lol.

>Steam Sale
>buys GTA IV for five bucks
>installs
>plays first few minutes
>tries to save
>GFWL account needed to save
>spends half an hour trying to set up account
>fuck it
>quits without saving and plays Minecraft instead

Haven't touched the game since. I contend it would be easier for me to pirate it than it try to play legitimately.

xTSGx wrote:

>Steam Sale
>buys GTA IV for five bucks
>installs
>plays first few minutes
>tries to save
>GFWL account needed to save
>spends half an hour trying to set up account
>fuck it
>quits without saving and plays Minecraft instead

Haven't touched the game since. I contend it would be easier for me to pirate it than it try to play legitimately.

Get san andreas, way better than gta iv by a long shot, better cheats and more open world

I have enough trouble dealing with Microsoft Office and Outlook and all their goddam bureaucracy at work.

No way I'm ever going to put any trust at all into GFWL. I know MS far to well to think they wouldn't fuck it up.

I have always refused to buy games that used GFWL and this only vindicates my choice.

Steam and GOG is the only way to go for PC gamers.

Last edited Feb 27, 2014 at 01:36AM EST

Comissar_skelus wrote:

Yes thats right, GFWL shuts down july 1st 2014. July 1st Happens to be my birthday.

GFWL was honestly like distilled sweaty genitals processed into software, and it caused steam to constantly disconnect whilst playing Dawn Of War 2. Not only that but it always had trouble connecting to microsoft's subpar servers which basically meant
"no connection? Not a problem on your end? no games for you"
Happy birthday to me, unfortunately great games like red faction might lose multiplayer features due to the removal of this poor excuse for DRM

Anyone have some some GFWL microsuffering stories to share?

Your problem was you were playing the second Dawn of War.

I have about 2 games with GFWL and they both work fine.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!