Forums / Discussion / General

174,340 total conversations in 5,728 threads

+ New Thread

KYM LEGO General

Last posted Mar 23, 2014 at 11:37AM EDT. Added Feb 27, 2014 at 06:36PM EST
20 posts from 9 users

LEGO: Not just for kids. Unlike Trix.

Yes, those amazing bricks that most people might know only as 1) painful to step on or 2) featuring in a recent movie. But they’ve been around for decades and decades, and there have been lots more things going on than agony and cinema.

Unlike many fandoms, LEGO draws a lot of its fanbase from those who use its bricks to build their own ideas, and whatever themes they like. Not to say that LEGO itself hasn’t come out with some great themes, one of which made quite a mark on pop culture itself – BIONICLE.

Who am I kidding though, I can’t do justice to the breadth of all that is LEGO. Following what I say would be like following building instructions: great (in my opinion!) but limiting.

LET THE BUILDING BEGIN or something.

Well then, let’s see which theme is everyone’s favorites. Personally mine is Bionicle, Pirates, Black Falcons, and Star Wars.

Also, over on LEGO Cuusoo, the Adventure Time project got 10,000 supporters!

Last edited Feb 27, 2014 at 06:52PM EST

Mine will always be BIONICLE. I’m no overly rabid fan, but may it live forever. Of course, I owe the most to Town/City and Star Wars, as those were some of my first sets!

I want more Insectoids and the like, but those were before I was old enough to get into them… And I should probably get one or two LEGO Movie sets sometime.

Honestly the Adventure Time sets look as good for pieces as they do for simply the theme appeal.

Terraineer wrote:

Mine will always be BIONICLE. I’m no overly rabid fan, but may it live forever. Of course, I owe the most to Town/City and Star Wars, as those were some of my first sets!

I want more Insectoids and the like, but those were before I was old enough to get into them… And I should probably get one or two LEGO Movie sets sometime.

Honestly the Adventure Time sets look as good for pieces as they do for simply the theme appeal.

I recall my first LEGO set as one of those Creator Buckets. Spent Christmas morning building them with my brother. Next thing you know it, we have Star Wars, BIONICLE, etc.

Well, I’m not one to endorse newer sets, overpriced for what there is to offer. One thing is LEGO keeps creating new pieces, when it used to be about creativity and making your own things. I don’t want a mold for a ship, I can create my own hull. Don’t get me wrong, there are some very interesting and fun sets, but overall I dislike some newer themes and sets. cough HERO FACTORY cough

And I still miss BIONICLE, just not the same without it.

Anyways, I can rant on and on about the flaws of marketing greed and contract failures, but I don’t want to upset anyone. I guess I just miss the 80’s-90’s (I’m not one of those 90’s fascist if you’re wondering) sets and have too much nostalgia for them, and I can’t accept new themes. Rant over, said and done. I still love LEGO and I won’t ever forget the thousands of hours building mocs and making videos, which defines my childhood.

Last edited Feb 27, 2014 at 09:03PM EST

I’m a huge Lego freak. Been collecting them since I was a little kid. I think I started with Indiana Jones stuff way back when, then I moved towards City and Star Wars. Recently though, I’ve been focusing on Lord of the Rings and Technic. Here’s a shot of the Tower of Orthanc, which is currently my favorite piece.

When I find the space, I’d love to get the Maersk Triple-E model.

Yeah, I used to build things out of the mass misc sets of legos when I was a kid, but I never built anything from a set of instructions until my brother got into Ninjago. He owned/owns all sets except for the newest ones and Destiny’s Bounty. (the latter of which is impossible to find for a reasonable price anymore.) I plan on buying him a couple of the new movie sets. (Which was fuckin awesome itself. I really want to build the 50000 piece sets they have in it. lol.)

A really good place to view MOCs and get inspiration is Flickr. The LEGO community there is huge, and there are many talented builders. One notable builder is Mark of Falworth, google him, his builds are amazing.

Here’s a sample of one of his amazingly detailed builds:

I made an awful yellow stealth when I was a kid, took it apart and years later decided to make another one. But this time I knew what I was doing.

It’s even got functional elements. There’s space in the back to load and drop a lego warhead and a panel on the side flips open so you can adjust a technic rod that keeps it in place.

It’s also got a breakaway cockpit, but I totally jacked that idea from an old Lego Star Wars set lol.

I’d post some of my LEGO stuff online, but my cameras can’t seem to take quality pictures even with the right set up. Although I know I had LEGO before then, the first LEGO set I remember getting was 6441 Deep Sea Refuge

I was late getting into BIONICLE compared to some (mid-2003) but I did stick with it til the end.

Preston wrote:

The first lego video game created

ahhh memories

OH gawd! I remember that game. It was one of the first video games (for PC) I’d ever owned outside of the jump start series. I had gotten it in a set out of one of those scholastic magazines too! So legit! I think I still have the disc somewhere. I need to find it!

Anyone here remember Exo-Force?, it was that one anime influenced theme with mecha, it didn’t last that long but it was cool (2006-2008 is short compared to some other Lego themes out there)

I would have to say that was my favorite theme.

(Video below for those who may want to see what I am talking about)

Last edited Mar 09, 2014 at 01:03PM EDT

NotChar wrote:

Anyone here remember Exo-Force?, it was that one anime influenced theme with mecha, it didn’t last that long but it was cool (2006-2008 is short compared to some other Lego themes out there)

I would have to say that was my favorite theme.

(Video below for those who may want to see what I am talking about)

I loved Exo-Force! Very good series for the time it lasted.

Last edited Mar 09, 2014 at 01:18PM EDT

I really wish I’d gotten more Exo-Force sets. The only minifigures from the line that I particularly liked at the time were Keiken and Hitomi, but I did manage to get the Striking Venom – amazing vehicle. I sort of followed the Exo-Force story too, but not as much as I should’ve.

Speaking of cool things from the 2000s, any Alpha Team fans here?

The Illustrious Reggie wrote:

Well would you look at this! Lego just announced the release of the Sandcrawler this May. They say it will be $300 USD. So, I’d better start saving and making room for it.

Seems like a huge improvement over the original.

Great, because I just finished the movie yesterday for the millionth time!

@ imperial redesigns:
For the most part, I like them. I would have preferred having them done earlier, when battle pack of those figures were done, but that just the inherit problem with upgrading designs. I glad they are finally releasing a Dewback, though personally, I know it was less accurate, I like the old design better.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!