Forums / Discussion / General

169,847 total conversations in 5,438 threads

+ New Thread

ITT: Things that scared you as a kid.

Last posted Mar 16, 2014 at 01:04AM EDT. Added Mar 13, 2014 at 01:40AM EDT
28 posts from 27 users

You know what i’m talking about, the shit that gave you the spooks as a kid, video games, movies, books, anything.
For me, it was this:
)

Mar 13, 2014 at 01:40AM EDT

Someone told me, when I was a youngster, that there is a skeleton in all of us.

Mar 13, 2014 at 02:09AM EDT

Dreadnought Davian Thule wrote:

Courage the Cowardly Dog’s bad guys.

Yeah, that show messed me up pretty bad as kid. I had trouble getting to sleep for weeks after seeing this:

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:19AM EDT

Algernon wrote:

Yeah, that show messed me up pretty bad as kid. I had trouble getting to sleep for weeks after seeing this:

WHAT’S YOUR OFFER?

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:35AM EDT

I was always scared more by fatal or existential things. There was a report on the news about how normal smoke alarms wouldn’t wake up a child during a fire, I was also scared of crossing intersections because I didn’t want to get hit and die. I also got really depressed when I was like 9 because I was learning about theories on how the universe would end and that made my brain run away with thoughts of never doing anything worthwhile with my life and being forgotten by everyone but how that also didn’t matter because someday everyone will be dead and everything anyone has ever done will have been for nothing… yeah.

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:54AM EDT

During the Sesame street credits, there used to be a gray bird puppet that popped up from out of nowhere with an ax-crazy expression on its face. That was the source of my childhood nightmares.
Oh, and YOU’RE NOT PERFECT

Mar 13, 2014 at 09:00AM EDT

When I was about 8 years old my mom was showing my older sister a screamer that one of her friends sent her earlier that day. One of those ones where you have to look for a ghost in an empty room and then a horrifying screaming face with hollow eyes pops onto the screen. Yeah, I was looking over their shoulders without my mom knowing I was there and when that thing went off it freaked me out so much I screamed and ran around my house several times before collapsing into a sobbing mess on my couch. For the next 4 years or so I was deathly afraid of the paranormal, and being in my room in the dark (I didn’t have a night light either). To this day jump scares in movies and whatnot get me every time and every time my internet starts to lag up while a page is loading I get paranoid another screamer is going to show up on my screen. Yeah I’m a bit of a scaredy cat.

Mar 13, 2014 at 09:20AM EDT

This Ride at Disneyland

Actually listening to the lyrics of the song makes me feel incredibly silly. n_n;;

Mar 13, 2014 at 09:32AM EDT

Crimson Locks wrote:

When I was about 8 years old my mom was showing my older sister a screamer that one of her friends sent her earlier that day. One of those ones where you have to look for a ghost in an empty room and then a horrifying screaming face with hollow eyes pops onto the screen. Yeah, I was looking over their shoulders without my mom knowing I was there and when that thing went off it freaked me out so much I screamed and ran around my house several times before collapsing into a sobbing mess on my couch. For the next 4 years or so I was deathly afraid of the paranormal, and being in my room in the dark (I didn’t have a night light either). To this day jump scares in movies and whatnot get me every time and every time my internet starts to lag up while a page is loading I get paranoid another screamer is going to show up on my screen. Yeah I’m a bit of a scaredy cat.

“every time my internet starts to lag up while a page is loading I get paranoid another screamer is going to show up on my screen.”
The same thing happens to me, I dunno why. I remember once in my old computer I was using it and from all of the sudden the screen seemed to get smaller. Until it dissapeared and got completely black, then smoke came out of the monitor. I fucking panicked like a little girl because i tought something would come out.
Also, I forgot to mention: The dog from The Thing.

Last edited Mar 13, 2014 at 12:11PM EDT
Mar 13, 2014 at 11:56AM EDT

Athletes scared me. They still do.

Last edited Mar 13, 2014 at 01:58PM EDT
Mar 13, 2014 at 01:58PM EDT

The Fly of F*cking Despair…

The first part scared me shitless… but then this part…

I avoided spaghetti and meatballs after that for two years.

Mar 13, 2014 at 02:44PM EDT

You know, every single time this topic comes up on KYM, I always give the same answer.

The Groke from Moomin.

Seriously, just listen to that throat noise, especially in Finnish and Japanese. German, French, and Polish are pretty scary too. That thing is just creepy as hell.

That thing always made me run from the room, or alternatively hide behind the sofa.

Nowdays I know that she is just lonely, but the fact that she freezes everything she touches, is still pretty damn scary.

Last edited Mar 13, 2014 at 03:11PM EDT
Mar 13, 2014 at 02:54PM EDT

The aliens from Space Jam when I first watched it, made me a little too scared.

Last edited Mar 13, 2014 at 03:40PM EDT
Mar 13, 2014 at 03:34PM EDT

My mom kept claiming that our house was haunted. Didn’t help that I heard noises at night, especially in the summer. She also claimed one night a figure stood at the end of her bed (it was too dark and she just made out an outline), and she was sure it was an alien. That freaked me out even more! I obsessed on all things paranormal/unexplained, but after awhile I moved on.

Also I read too much Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Did not help at all >_<

Last edited Mar 13, 2014 at 04:41PM EDT
Mar 13, 2014 at 04:40PM EDT

Weasel wrote:

Someone told me, when I was a youngster, that there is a skeleton in all of us.

As a young child, I have always thought the human skeleton structure pretty fascinating. It wasn’t what was inside us that scared me, it was what happens after we die. I once got a book in the library all about the bones and structures, and at the last page, it was explaining skeletons in culutres and religions. Once it started talking about death, I got really depressed and scared. Just the thought of experiencing nothing forever turns my stomach upside down, and my breathing starts to quicken. This was probably when I was around age 6, and things like these really stuck to me. I think less about it now and I try to look at life with optimism, but when I go to sleep and just lie there, the thought comes up, and I’m a wreck again. Sounds crazy to read but it’s just me.

TL;DR

Last edited Mar 13, 2014 at 06:17PM EDT
Mar 13, 2014 at 06:10PM EDT

I’ll take that Resident Evil video and add this video from one of the movies that INSPIRED Resident Evil: Day of the Dead, don’t watch if you don’t like gore.

And of course the Cake topper of what made it so I could never trust a kids movie again

I’m completely desensitized now.

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:51PM EDT

lets see. I was scared of these guys

Everytime a clip would come on with them, i would either run out of the room or change the channel.
Also, the three “sqwak” alert tone that they used for the Emergency Alert System tests. i would either plug my ears or change the channel or leave the room. interestingly enough, the single BEEEEEEEEEP tone didnt scare me one bit. Just the three beep one scared me

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:29PM EDT

I used to have to leave the room whenever this fucking thing came on. I still get a little anxious when I hear the “wind up” at the start.

Mar 14, 2014 at 06:04AM EDT

xTSGx wrote:

I used to have to leave the room whenever this fucking thing came on. I still get a little anxious when I hear the “wind up” at the start.

Whenever I would watch Sesame Street VHS tapes I would get scared of this part and this part only:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7BqlFtvw8
You now have my permission to laugh at me.

You could pay me a hundred billion dollars to watch this video and I still wouldn’t do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg6FE5FWSmY

To put it into a conclusion: scary logos was the #1 nightmare fuel for me as a kid, and it still is.

Last edited Mar 15, 2014 at 01:24PM EDT
Mar 15, 2014 at 01:16PM EDT

The game over cutscene from Rise of the Robots. To this day it still creeps me out.

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:27PM EDT

The movies Volcano and Independence Day. I love them now, but they really disturbed me when I was young. I’m still quite terrified of volcanoes and earthquakes… Never experienced one, and I never want to. It reminds me that the earth isn’t as solid and sturdy as I’d like to think. In Independence Day, the scene with the alien being dissected in the lab freaked me out. Now of course I laugh at it. Those aliens are cute compared to others I’ve seen in more recents films/games.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:12PM EDT

I never go into the basement anymore, because of this:

“Boil The Big Bully”
“Bully The Bullies”

Mar 16, 2014 at 01:04AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!