Forums / Discussion / General

169,566 total conversations in 5,527 threads

+ New Thread

Fred Phelps has Died

Last posted Mar 27, 2014 at 12:13PM EDT. Added Mar 16, 2014 at 03:25AM EDT
93 posts from 47 users

He will most likely not be missed.

But while I see others celebrating, saying “haha, so long asshole” and already planning to picket his funeral, I’d rather not take this opportunity to revel in his sickness and just send my condolences to those very few who share concern for him as a loving grandfather and hope that the rest of his family that abandoned the WBC will not be blocked from visiting him in his dire moment by those still in it.

Even for a man like him, I believe no mans impeding end is to be taken lightly and should be handled with respect. Besides, I’m sure justice for him will be due wherever he’s going.

If worse comes to worse; Dear Fred. Farewell and thank you

Thank you for uniting a stronger LGBT community than ever before. By your actions and your philosophy; you have given us a common enemy to rally against. You showed religion how not to behave. You boiled bigotry down to a single target-able object. You became the symbol of everything that is wrong in the world so we learned what is right. You created a world that cries out for equality all across the globe because we’ve gotten so tired of having people like you in it.

The Equality House was even built in your honor

May you pass on and be known as a hero of the LGBT movement by being convincing everyone to avoid being like you and what you stood for. Godspeed

Last edited Mar 16, 2014 at 04:31AM EDT
Mar 16, 2014 at 04:24AM EDT

>was ex-communicated from the “church” back in August of 2013

I find that point a lot more interesting than the fact he’s dying. Did any of you know this, cause I certainly didn’t?

Mar 16, 2014 at 05:57AM EDT

I can only feel pity for him, so close to the hell he wished on others. I also give my condolences to those of his family who still loved him, taking solace under his broken ideals. He will not be missed by many, and that’s for the best.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:38AM EDT

The first protest of a soldier’s funeral he organized confirmed him for eternal garbage in my book.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:14PM EDT

Que the satanist ritual that makes people gay in the afterlife.

Mar 16, 2014 at 01:40PM EDT

xTSGx wrote:

I find that point a lot more interesting than the fact he’s dying. Did any of you know this, cause I certainly didn’t?

I am wondering this myself, I am uncertain how a protestant organization has ‘ex-communication’ which means by Catholic terms; “You ain’t getting into heaven, ninny.”

It might be possibly Fred simply wasn’t fanatical enough for his own ‘church’, or he had a change of heart while coming near death.

Despite what the article says, it is coming ‘loosely’ from a son of Fred by the name of Nathan, which is kind of makes me suspicious with a summary like this; "Nathan Phelps was the seventh of 13 children and grandchildren who left the Westboro church, which is largely made up of Phelps’ family members.

He is a vocal LGBT advocate, and speaks out against the dangers of religion and child abuse."

Until the attention whore himself actually dies, I wouldn’t get our hopes up just yet.

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:15PM EDT

John Atyxyt says:

Will they picket his funeral?

Almost certainly, unless they put up heavy security or something.

Blue Screen (of Death) says:

Besides, I’m sure justice for him will be due wherever he’s going.

In my opinion, that place is the ground.

I honestly am impartial to his death. We all know that his death won’t change a thing. The Westboro Baptist Church will continue picketing and spreading its hate even after his death. I do not wish death upon him because it would be pretty cruel. He is still a human being, despite being a very wicked one. What do we even accomplish from his death anyways? He has already done his “duty to his religion” and his message will live on after death. His spirit will live on forever as something to rally against for his enemies and his followers will continue spreading his message. It’s a never-ending cycle. He probably brought more bad to his cause than good since as Blue Screen said, he just made the LGBT movement grow and become more passionate about their cause instead of making them feel discouraged.

xTSGx says:

I doubt he cares. Being ex-communicated is a worthless act unless it’s by your own church and/or belief system. I’m kind of shocked as well that you could actually ex-communicate people outside of Catholicism and East Orthodoxy, but the message is the same nonetheless. For a very long time, the Catholic and East Orthodox Churches had ex-communicated each other and all of their followers until the 20th century. They didn’t give a single fuck. Christian denominations believe that their denomination is the one true denomination and that the others are totally fake. Being ex-communicated by a different church to Fred Phelps is like ex-communicating an atheist. He just doesn’t care. The act is worthless to him. I’m sure he’ll die happily feeling that he’s going to heaven for doing God’s duty as he perceives it. He probably won’t feel an ounce of guilt when it eventually happens, if not soon.

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:55PM EDT

@The biggest
I meant if the WBC would picket his funeral (unless you were talking about that) but that’s a fine answer.

Mar 16, 2014 at 06:45PM EDT

He had his people Picket Ronnie James Dio’s funeral….I won’t be picketing his funeral but I’ll be sitting back saying “Karma’s a bitch.”

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:24PM EDT

I hope a bunch of gay guys do a conga line over this fucking Skeletor’s grave.

Mar 17, 2014 at 02:34AM EDT

I hope someone would update the entry for Westboro Baptist Church sometime this week.

Mar 18, 2014 at 05:31PM EDT

Derp Banned wrote:

I’ll just be blunt and come on out and say it

Jacking off out of spite and hatred not only for the purpose of celebrating the death of someone you don’t like (Yes, he’s a hate-mongering bigot; I’m not trying to deny that. The point still stands.) but to also use it as a way to rub his death into the faces of people who may have actually cared for him, like his family; won’t accomplish anything…

…actually, more than that. You’ll be lowering yourself and everyone else to his level. By doing that your giving into the hatred, and in turn becoming more like the dickwads who picket the funerals of dead soldiers.

So please, you have a right to despise the guy; go ahead I won’t stop you. But don’t actually do it man. It won’t be good for anybody.

Mar 18, 2014 at 05:48PM EDT

When he finally drops, I’ll have to bust out the victory theme from Return Of The Jedi. No, not the “Yub-Nub” one.

I typically don’t think that celebrating the death of someone is a good thing to do, but I’m honestly relieved that the cult he started is that much closer to being dismantled for good. It shames me to think that people think that most Christians are like that.

Last edited Mar 18, 2014 at 06:19PM EDT
Mar 18, 2014 at 06:13PM EDT

thegreato wrote:

I’ll just be blunt and come on out and say it

Jacking off out of spite and hatred not only for the purpose of celebrating the death of someone you don’t like (Yes, he’s a hate-mongering bigot; I’m not trying to deny that. The point still stands.) but to also use it as a way to rub his death into the faces of people who may have actually cared for him, like his family; won’t accomplish anything…

…actually, more than that. You’ll be lowering yourself and everyone else to his level. By doing that your giving into the hatred, and in turn becoming more like the dickwads who picket the funerals of dead soldiers.

So please, you have a right to despise the guy; go ahead I won’t stop you. But don’t actually do it man. It won’t be good for anybody.

Wait!
People actually cared for this hateful douche bag?

Mar 18, 2014 at 06:46PM EDT

Preston wrote:

Wait!
People actually cared for this hateful douche bag?

I agree, this is coming from a leader of the WBC who said “Thank God for Dead Soliders”, “Thank God for 9/11” and “Hated Fred Rogers”!

Mar 18, 2014 at 07:44PM EDT

Espurr wrote:

I agree, this is coming from a leader of the WBC who said “Thank God for Dead Soliders”, “Thank God for 9/11” and “Hated Fred Rogers”!

“…into the faces of people who may have actually cared for him, like his family….”

Mar 18, 2014 at 07:47PM EDT

thegreato wrote:

“…into the faces of people who may have actually cared for him, like his family….”

His family was brainwashed I bet

Mar 18, 2014 at 08:17PM EDT

He is a despicable person who formed a despicable organization but why stoop to his level and picket his funeral?

Last edited Mar 18, 2014 at 08:55PM EDT
Mar 18, 2014 at 08:55PM EDT

Preston wrote:

His family was brainwashed I bet

They were – at least the children were. Two of the kids that were a part of the family became Atheists and spoke out against the “Church” they were forced into.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:36PM EDT

Religion is the same as atheism if handled properly and equally there will be world peace but in the mean time I just don’t give a crap

Mar 19, 2014 at 03:57PM EDT

Krusty Kreme wrote:

He is a despicable person who formed a despicable organization but why stoop to his level and picket his funeral?

This. Picketing his funeral would be an atrocity, and quite an exercise in hypocrisy. We’re better than that.

Beyond that, I will not celebrate his death. I will never celebrate a person’s death. I wouldn’t have celebrated Hitler’s death. I did not celebrate Saddam Hussein’s death. I would have, and have, celebrated the consequences that followed, but death itself is not something to celebrate.

Life is precious, no matter whose it is. I am never happy to see it fade.

Am I relieved that he’s dying? I will admit, I am. With his passing, the world will no doubt be slightly better off. The feeling of justice I get from it… satisfying. I will admit, I’ve grown to hate the man.

But I dare not celebrate the death itself. Death is not something I would wish on anyone, no matter how awful they are.

Last edited Mar 19, 2014 at 04:45PM EDT
Mar 19, 2014 at 04:43PM EDT

You’ll be lowering yourself and everyone else to his level. By doing that your giving into the hatred, and in turn becoming more like the dickwads who picket the funerals of dead soldiers

This. Picketing his funeral would be an atrocity, and quite an exercise in hypocrisy. We’re better than that.

I am in full, absolute agreement with thegreato and Owens here.

Let Fred leave in peace. He’s not going to be our problem anymore. By attacking him and his family at this vulnerable moment, we’d just be dragging this nightmare out even longer than it needs to be, prolonging even more spite, hatred and hostility. And above all, it will prove that we are no better than the WBC.

Also fapping to some old guy? Ewww

I for one, will not express any celebration for this. Let his time pass quietly like nobody cares and allow society to move on from this stain in our history

Last edited Mar 19, 2014 at 11:00PM EDT
Mar 19, 2014 at 10:59PM EDT

HE’S DEAD!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/us/westboro-church-founder-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Mar 20, 2014 at 01:36PM EDT

chowzburgerz wrote:

HE’S DEAD!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/us/westboro-church-founder-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Quick, someone update the Westboro Baptist Church entry!

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:50PM EDT

Unfortunately the Hydra doesn’t die just because you cut of a single head…

Last edited Mar 20, 2014 at 03:52PM EDT
Mar 20, 2014 at 03:50PM EDT

“Fred Phelps has died, and has asked that as he was in life, his ashes be kept in a closet.” – Brick Stone

Mar 20, 2014 at 04:11PM EDT

Owens wrote:

Beyond that, I will not celebrate his death. I will never celebrate a person’s death. I wouldn’t have celebrated Hitler’s death. I did not celebrate Saddam Hussein’s death. I would have, and have, celebrated the consequences that followed, but death itself is not something to celebrate.

Life is precious, no matter whose it is. I am never happy to see it fade.

Am I relieved that he’s dying? I will admit, I am. With his passing, the world will no doubt be slightly better off. The feeling of justice I get from it… satisfying. I will admit, I’ve grown to hate the man.

But I dare not celebrate the death itself. Death is not something I would wish on anyone, no matter how awful they are.

>Dis

Mar 20, 2014 at 06:06PM EDT

SirBrownBear wrote:

Unfortunately the Hydra doesn’t die just because you cut of a single head…

I’d say it’s been dead for quite a while. This particular hydra is nothing more than an annoying lizard, and the only reason it’s significant is that people keep giving it the attention it wants. Trolls aren’t always restricted to the Internet.

Mar 20, 2014 at 07:01PM EDT

Interesting fact: Today is the UN International Day of Happiness………..
And Fred Phelps is dead.

Mar 20, 2014 at 08:14PM EDT

Professor Metallica enjoys pencils. wrote:

I feel a bit weird wishing for someone to die but still,

I’am Christian and I wish I was there to see him slowly die and moan in pain. A thorn in the side of Christianity is finally pulled out.

Mar 20, 2014 at 08:46PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!