Forums / Discussion / General

170,230 total conversations in 5,455 threads

+ New Thread

Worst company in America 2014

Last posted Apr 09, 2014 at 10:07AM EDT. Added Mar 19, 2014 at 04:40PM EDT
70 posts from 28 users

Oh shit. Those are some heavy contenders. SallieMae, AT&T, A&F, and McDonalds are my Final 4.
Final 8 are:

• SallieMae
  • Wells Fargo
  • A&F
  • BoA
  • Comcast
  • AT&T
  • McDonalds
  • Ticketmaster
Last edited Mar 19, 2014 at 05:25PM EDT
Mar 19, 2014 at 05:25PM EDT

I hope Target wins.

Last edited Mar 19, 2014 at 05:44PM EDT
Mar 19, 2014 at 05:30PM EDT

1st Round Picks:

EA
Koch
Wells Fargo
Citi
Walmart
Delta
Bank of America
American Airlines
Yahoo
Facebook
Verizon
Microsoft
Target
Chase
Ticketmaster
SeaWorld

Mar 19, 2014 at 05:32PM EDT

Comcast is pretty shitty if I do say so myself.

Mar 19, 2014 at 06:06PM EDT

Hmm, judging on the results so far I have a feeling it will be either SeaWorld (especially after Blackfish) or EA again.

Mar 19, 2014 at 06:07PM EDT

I feel the novelty of banding everyone together to make EA win is running out. If they win again this year, I think it might be the last time they do, at least for another few years.

Edit:

I WANT Monsanto to win. They are long overdue for a golden poo.

Last edited Mar 19, 2014 at 06:21PM EDT
Mar 19, 2014 at 06:10PM EDT

Random21 wrote:

Hmm, judging on the results so far I have a feeling it will be either SeaWorld (especially after Blackfish) or EA again.

I’m sorry but that film is a real button push for me, SeaWorld does good for conservation, they haven’t captured a whale in 35 years and as much as I love animals, I can’t support the one-sided PETA propaganda that is balckfish. I won’t argue anymore, just wanted to get this out there.

Mar 19, 2014 at 06:11PM EDT

Snowie wrote:

I’m sorry but that film is a real button push for me, SeaWorld does good for conservation, they haven’t captured a whale in 35 years and as much as I love animals, I can’t support the one-sided PETA propaganda that is balckfish. I won’t argue anymore, just wanted to get this out there.

Well whoever it was really didn’t need to downvote me over it. I can’t remember ever stating I liked the movie, hell I haven’t even seen the damn thing. I wish whoever it was wasn’t such an ass about it jumping to conclusions. Lots of people like the movie, and thus it would make it a strong contender. What about that deserves a downvote? Nothing.

Mar 19, 2014 at 06:29PM EDT

I really came off as a jerk from that post, didn’t I?
I know my opinion is unpopular, but I’m glad you have your own, and that you expressed it politely. I guess it’s just the PTSD from seeing so many animal rights idiots on sites like twitter that made me act like that. Very sorry for that.

I shall go to my shame cube now.

Last edited Mar 19, 2014 at 07:00PM EDT
Mar 19, 2014 at 06:58PM EDT

I don’t know about this. I used to be a regular on Yahoo Answers believe it or not, but I gave up on it because they blacklisted my IP or something that I don’t really understand, and I couldn’t keep an account for longer than a week. Also, they decided to force this shitty new purple layout on everyone. Yeah, the green Yahoo Answers that the internet has grown to love and laugh at is no more.

They already barely have any users, but the new layout drove people away even more. Wal-Mart and EA always suck, so they’re pretty good contenders as well.

That’s just my opinion anyways. So, I’m new to this tradition. How are the winners determined?

Mar 19, 2014 at 07:24PM EDT

I would choose Monsanto as the worst company of 2014. Patented plants, farmer being forced dependencies by the company especially what kind of food to grow are very serious problems.

Mar 19, 2014 at 08:22PM EDT

chowzburgerz wrote:

Can you explain your choice?

Owning this site.

Last edited Mar 19, 2014 at 09:18PM EDT
Mar 19, 2014 at 09:17PM EDT

chowzburgerz wrote:

Revolution is in the air?

You could say that…

Mar 19, 2014 at 09:28PM EDT

EA are pretty bad, but the fact they managed to win 2 years in a row shows that gamers have no idea how bad some other companies treat their employees/customers/suppliers.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:17PM EDT

I still think EA only wins because gamers flooded the polls with their bias opinions.

Origin is a horrid, wretched services that doesn’t deserve to exist but I feel us gamers are focusing too much on our own problems here and ignoring the rest of the world.

How about Facebook and their blatant theft of personal content, selling all our info to advertisers and completely lying to our faces about our privacy. At least EA doesn’t have all my drunk photos and is willing to hand them out to my employers

Bank of America and their part in national debt anyone?

GM making sure we keep guzzling all that gas?

In fact, where’s all the oil and insurance companies? Why are they not on this list? 30% of the planets pure evil seems to be coming from every last one of them (With North Korea making up the other 70%). I’m certain more peoples lives have been fucked over by big oil and big insurance than most others…say Microsoft, McDonalds and Paypay for example…

Those three? Eh, they haven’t been so evil lately. Microsoft hasn’t had so many anti-trust cases in a while. Windows 8.1 sucks, but M$ have been more incompetent than devious with it. McDonalds is responsible for a lot of fat people but they’ve been toning it down. Paypal’s had some bits of drama dealing with frauds and hackers but overall, they’re doing their job

I’d like to see more companies on this list that have been responsible for real crimes than just shitty customer service

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:15PM EDT

@McDonalds: Idk, they’ve somewhat made some progress on the kids meals, but wasn’t it just last year they had the big pink slime fiasco? Or maybe that was 2011. I can’t remember anymore. lol.

Also, I don’t get why Sears/Kmart are on the list. Just because Kmart fails as a retail brand doesn’t make they a worst company. I don’t really recall Sears doing anything bad either. (Although apparently my great-grandpa invented a tool or something in the early 1900s and some guy from Sears came down and helped him get it patented and then bought the patent off of him for cheap because he didn’t really get patents I guess. Apparently it’s still a somewhat popular tool and we could have still been making royalties off of it. Guess it’s better than the patent getting stolen because he didn’t know how to file one.)

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:33AM EDT

@Cute

Pink slime? You mean the machine separated meat?

Thing about that is that, it isn’t really a controversy. For years chicken nuggets have always been made with “pink slime” which is really just ultra-mashed up leftover meat parts (all the stuff that isn’t used in premium cuts)

The meat industry has used that to create your nuggety meat for years. Not just McDonalds. Everyone does it. And have always done it that way

It just looks gross to people who are ignorant of the meat production process but it isn’t and never has been a problem. You are still eating chicken that still gets cooked safely. The chicken has just been broken down to tiny fragments. Yes it includes bone, but who cares? The bits are so small that you can’t distinguish them and you just get extra calcium

Without machine separated meats, a whooooole lot of usable animal parts would be piling up our landfills instead of being eaten

Last edited Mar 20, 2014 at 01:05AM EDT
Mar 20, 2014 at 01:00AM EDT

>GM making sure we keep guzzling all that gas?

Well a Chevy Suburban gets 21 MPGs while a Toyota Land Cruiser gets only 18MPG on the freeway. Heck even a Rolls Royce does 19MPG on the freeway. but i guess the company has to be based in the USA to count for the list.

Mar 20, 2014 at 01:31AM EDT

My Round One Picks and Round Two Matchups:
Time Warner vs. Koch
Wells Fargo vs. Citi
Walmart vs. Abercrombie & Fitch
Bank of America vs. American Airlines
Comcast vs. Facebook
PayPal eBay vs. Microsoft
McDonald’s vs. Chase
Aetna vs. SeaWorld

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:08AM EDT

EA hands down, for my own Macintosh reasons.

. . .

Don’t know why McDonalds is on this list though, I mean, I know the food is sometimes shit tier but it’s best shit tier food you gonna find or get.

Mar 20, 2014 at 08:07AM EDT

There are several criteria which should be considered. Here are three main ones:

1. How easy is to do without that company and ignore their products or services?
2. How much does the company have monopoly (or non-competitive oligopoly) over something and how they abuse it?
3. How much they try to make sure their products or services are bought despite how necessary they would be?

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:41AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

EA are pretty bad, but the fact they managed to win 2 years in a row shows that gamers have no idea how bad some other companies treat their employees/customers/suppliers.

Agreed. The past elections have said more about the voters’ values and the distribution of information among them than it does about the companies being voted on. There are companies involved in corruption of government, putting untested materials in our food and water, firing workers who try to collectively ask for a raise, destroying entire markets through illegal abuses of monopoly power, and frauds measuring in the billions if not trillions of dollars, yet the voters decide that the worst of them all is a company that makes mediocre video games with annoying copy protection. Perhaps it’s a variant of “all politics are local” in which the voters tend to be gamers who have firsthand knowledge of EA’s product but tend not to pay attention to news about the other businesses.

Mar 23, 2014 at 09:17PM EDT

Doctor "KreagerStein" Kori wrote:

Gearbox. They deserve it for lying about the Aliens: Colonial Marines.

…That was 2013.

Anyway, I would have put King on this bracket. Because fuck Candy Crush.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:55PM EDT
How about Facebook and their blatant theft of personal content, selling all our info to advertisers and completely lying to our faces about our privacy. At least EA doesn’t have all my drunk photos and is willing to hand them out to my employers

Lying? Stealing? If you can show me one instance of this happening to your data on Facebook, your post may be credible. Willfully giving your content up under an EULA that includes the ability to sell data is not stealing, and is likewise not lying about stealing.

General Motors does not have any oil subsidiaries. What is your statement even based on?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors#Environmental_initiatives

People really don’t know what “evil” means anymore…

Last edited Mar 24, 2014 at 12:14AM EDT
Mar 24, 2014 at 12:13AM EDT

Monsanto deserves the win. Their business practices are practically Bond villain schemes.

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:09AM EDT

Taryn wrote:

Lying? Stealing? If you can show me one instance of this happening to your data on Facebook, your post may be credible. Willfully giving your content up under an EULA that includes the ability to sell data is not stealing, and is likewise not lying about stealing.

General Motors does not have any oil subsidiaries. What is your statement even based on?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors#Environmental_initiatives

People really don’t know what “evil” means anymore…

Remember.

Everyone we love is Jesus.

Everyone we hate is Hitler.

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:35AM EDT

@Taryn

I don’t care if Facebook legally avoids lying status through their EULA. I find it deceptive how they started off in the beginning acting like everything was going to be confidential. Then later down the track they changed it on everyone, taking full advantage of the fact that nobody reads the damn agreement

I remember when it first started. I remember the stories of people posting their wedding photos on facebook and then suddenly finding those same photos printed on wedding catalogues without their permission and seeing their faces plastered in advertisements. Their content, entrusted to be private among family, now raking in money for unaffiliated business and Facebook itself. Facebook slowly simplified their policy over the years and thus your control over your own content to the point where it becomes pretty much theirs once its on there, and they still give you the illusion of privacy when so many people have been doxxed on it. The best part is that I know every other social network is going to follow their example

I’ll hand you the bit about GM. I knew them for holding back the electric car in past, but I guess they changed their stance long since then

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:38AM EDT

chowzburgerz wrote:

EA lost to Time Warner Cable.

Holy shit, son.

I honestly don’t understand how McDonald’s won for any reason other than “LOLAMERIFATS.” Business-wise? They’re actually pretty good. Food-wise? Even better.

Last edited Mar 24, 2014 at 07:27PM EDT
Mar 24, 2014 at 07:25PM EDT

chowzburgerz wrote:

EA lost to Time Warner Cable.

Of course EA lost to Time Warner Cable. Time Warner is already scummy by itself, but now it’s merging with Comcast, the ultimate evil in cable service.

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:36PM EDT

I think Bank of America should win. They’ve done some pretty evil stuff in the past. I mean, which of these other companies have confiscated millions of homes?

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:40PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Taryn

I don’t care if Facebook legally avoids lying status through their EULA. I find it deceptive how they started off in the beginning acting like everything was going to be confidential. Then later down the track they changed it on everyone, taking full advantage of the fact that nobody reads the damn agreement

I remember when it first started. I remember the stories of people posting their wedding photos on facebook and then suddenly finding those same photos printed on wedding catalogues without their permission and seeing their faces plastered in advertisements. Their content, entrusted to be private among family, now raking in money for unaffiliated business and Facebook itself. Facebook slowly simplified their policy over the years and thus your control over your own content to the point where it becomes pretty much theirs once its on there, and they still give you the illusion of privacy when so many people have been doxxed on it. The best part is that I know every other social network is going to follow their example

I’ll hand you the bit about GM. I knew them for holding back the electric car in past, but I guess they changed their stance long since then

>this

I totally agree. Facebook is complete scum. They know you more thoroughly than the NSA does.

I do remember that electric car scandal by GM, but I know that they’ve changed their ways as of late.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:21PM EDT

With the Oc Rift shitstorm I think we have a clear winner.

Mar 26, 2014 at 03:26PM EDT

Time Warner vs. Koch

Called it!

My Round Two Picks and Quarterfinal matchups:
Koch vs. Citi
Walmart vs. Bank of America
Comcast vs. Verizon
Chase vs. SeaWorld

Mar 26, 2014 at 07:50PM EDT

Is it wrong that 25% of the companies listed here are the same companies that I get goods or services from?

Also, I may have submitted a resume to one of them.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:04PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!