Forums / Discussion / General

232,628 total conversations in 7,776 threads

+ New Thread

Okcupid invites Firefox' visitors to change browser to protest New Mozilla's CEO

Last posted Apr 02, 2014 at 08:59AM EDT. Added Apr 01, 2014 at 02:20PM EDT
13 posts from 11 users

Idono about this one. The message looks legit, but it is April 1st after all. I'll wait till tomorrow before posting any observations.
Also, the Facebook comments section is loaded with real world "liberal_genius"es:

I'm all for LGBT rights, but this is fucking ridiculous. As much as I want to believe it to be true, I seriously doubt that someone spent their time and effort creating 50 Facebook accounts just to troll that one page.

Myconix wrote:

Idono about this one. The message looks legit, but it is April 1st after all. I'll wait till tomorrow before posting any observations.
Also, the Facebook comments section is loaded with real world "liberal_genius"es:

I'm all for LGBT rights, but this is fucking ridiculous. As much as I want to believe it to be true, I seriously doubt that someone spent their time and effort creating 50 Facebook accounts just to troll that one page.

That was incredibly painful to read. . . .

Well that's… Downright petty. I'm pretty tired of people intermingling business with politics. If Mozilla as a company put money towards anti-LGBT movements that would be a whole other issue, but one person in the company has a political opinion and suddenly we have to cause a shitstorm about it? I'm particularly miffed at the people calling for him to be removed from his position. I don't care if he's a fucking neo-nazi, a person should never have a job opportunity taken away from them because of political belief. And since Mozilla as a company is not anti-LGBT I don't know why anyone should give a crap about this.

@Myconix:
That… Gave me a headache. I need to lie down.

What Crimson said was perfect. If it's out of his own money, who really cares? If he was using company money and saying it was the company's ideals, I would object, but one person's personal beliefs shouldn't matter if it doesn't mess with the company. Chick-Fil-A being an openly Anti-gay company is bad, but if the CEO of Firefox wants to be anti-gay, who's to stop him?

Thank you Crimson. Words of gold right there.

Speaking as an IT technician…this is stupid and pointless.

Speaking as someone in the LGBT community that lives with LGBT…this is offensively stupid and pointless

Mozilla as a whole does not need to be punished because of something their CEO may or may not think. It is quite clear that Mozilla as a company does not include any anti-LGBT sentiments in their business motivations and software. You don't get any popups on Firefox telling you to ban gay-marriage. The induvidual perspectives of the guy running the place are not being injected into anything the business does, nor are business profits going towards supporting his beliefs. So Mozilla isn't guilty of anything here

This whole operation forgets how much good the Mozilla corporation does as a distributor of free open source software including one of those most useful web browsers ever made. All this will do is cripple the good things that Mozilla does for the web industry, not change the CEO's stance.

Only the CEO needs to be targeted for this, and even then he doesn't need to be. People are allowed to have their opinions for or against gay marriage either way and as far as we know; the Mozilla CEO wasn't using his power to influence a ban on gay marriage or even being vocal about it. Being being against gay-marriage is not exactly a controversy.

Why do we care what he thinks? We don't need him to be pro-LGBT. We need him to make sure Firefox keeps updating

This is like burning down a whole library because of the one person in it that spoke too loud instead of just telling that one person to be quiet

Last edited Apr 02, 2014 at 04:49AM EDT

@Sam:

Chick-Fil-A being an openly Anti-gay company is bad, but if the CEO of Firefox wants to be anti-gay, who’s to stop him?

Chick-Fil-A is not an anti-gay company either. Once again it's just the CEO/Founder that puts his own earned money into anti-LGBT causes. In fact, while that whole thing was going down a lot of Chick-Fil-A locations had a sign up saying that as a company they do not oppose gay marriage and the views of their CEO should not reflect on them.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!