Forums / Discussion / General

170,930 total conversations in 5,486 threads

+ New Thread

Rest in pepperonis .gif, WebM is here

Last posted Apr 09, 2014 at 04:31PM EDT. Added Apr 07, 2014 at 01:03PM EDT
19 posts from 16 users

Moot enabled .webm files to upload for 4chan, people consider it as the future and .gif is for the old people

But what is webm?

Well, webm is somekind of HTML wizardry that is basicly a videofile. If you have a proper source, you can have a crystal clear video in high resolution for like 2MB while gifs of the same had to be 120×90 just to be 2MB.

Thoughts?

Apr 07, 2014 at 01:03PM EDT

http://i.4cdn.org/g/src/1396792240471.webm

Testing.

Anyways .webm are great. No color limitation, HD support, 60 fps, and it takes up less bandwidth than .gif. It can also allow sound, depending on the .webm.

Last edited Apr 07, 2014 at 03:36PM EDT
Apr 07, 2014 at 03:36PM EDT

Is that what Vine uses?

Apr 07, 2014 at 04:21PM EDT

Mr.Stalker wrote:

Is it spelled Web’m, or Web M?

It’s spelled WebM.

Apr 07, 2014 at 04:34PM EDT

Sounds cool and all, but it has 2 major drawbacks in my opinion. :/

(NICE btw)

1. I may be mistaken but it appears that you can’t post it as you can with a gif on a comment wall. I’m testing this though in my comment.

2. Also, though this may be a personal opinion; that fact that is doesn’t loop irritates me.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:11PM EDT

Now, there’ll be the great debate on whether it’s pronounced .webem or .webum.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:18PM EDT

thegreato said:

Also, though this may be a personal opinion; that fact that is doesn’t loop irritates me.

If you’re using Firefox, you need to install Media Loop , then right click the webm file while it’s playing and select “loop.”

I don’t think gifs will ever fully go away. They’ve become so entrenched that it would be very hard to uproot them. Plus, few sites support .webm yet since HTML5’s yet to be fully implemented.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:27PM EDT

I don’t think we’ll wake up tomorrow to a world run by WebM’s, but I do think they have a lot of potential to be big. Although I feel like WebM’s serve a different purpose than gifs. They seem to me to be in between vines and videos. They’re able to be a lot longer and have sound and full-screen, but lack a site dedicated to them for watching purposes, like Youtube or Vimeo. As good as they are, they lack a new niche to get off the ground with. There will be certain areas of the interwebs that will care about something like this, others who are not so tech-savy will be less interested and prefer to stay with what they have, only changing when everything and everyone around them uses it.
Or maybe I know nothing about this and am I just spouting what to me seems logical without any kind of evidence to back up my claims. It’s probably a little early to be placing all yours bets on this.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:59PM EDT

>gifs are old age now

Actually, I’m liking the way WebM’s are looking, and I want it to use it more, which is likely since it’s usable on 4Chan.

Apr 07, 2014 at 09:06PM EDT

xTSGx wrote:

thegreato said:

Also, though this may be a personal opinion; that fact that is doesn’t loop irritates me.

If you’re using Firefox, you need to install Media Loop , then right click the webm file while it’s playing and select “loop.”

I don’t think gifs will ever fully go away. They’ve become so entrenched that it would be very hard to uproot them. Plus, few sites support .webm yet since HTML5’s yet to be fully implemented.

I actually use chrome, so no luck there. :(

I do agree with you that gifs will never fully go away though; and there’s no way it’s going to happen quickly either considering how the tech isn’t supported very broadly.

(HTML5 I must ask, just what in the hell is that anyway?)

Apr 07, 2014 at 09:38PM EDT

You seem to forget that gif is a image format and webm is a video format; therefore webm is not an upgrade or a complete replacement for gifs. Just because 4chan is using, it doesn’t mean everywhere else is going to use it. Tumblr, with its rate of advancement, probably will never host webm files. Imgur will not host webm files because it is a image hosting website, not a video hosting website.

Does everybody use vine video files? No. Does everybody use swf files? No. We will have to see how far this file format goes but it is not the best thing since sliced bread that a relatively small group of few people outside of 4chan that know about. But, I will say that it is an excellent video format.

Last edited Apr 07, 2014 at 10:01PM EDT
Apr 07, 2014 at 09:43PM EDT
(HTML5 I must ask, just what in the hell is that anyway?)

Wikipedia says this:

HTML5 is a markup language used for structuring and presenting content for the World Wide Web and a core technology of the Internet. It is the fifth revision of the HTML standard [..] Its core aims have been to improve the language with support for the latest multimedia while keeping it easily readable by humans and consistently understood by computers and devices (web browsers, parsers, etc.)

So in other words, is the code of some websites but features multimedia support and improved language for web designers and shit.

Maybe this can help a little more on the topic.

Last edited Apr 07, 2014 at 11:39PM EDT
Apr 07, 2014 at 11:38PM EDT

There’s this site called gfycat that converts .gifs to “html5 video”.

I think they’re using webm, but don’t quote me on that.

Last edited Apr 08, 2014 at 01:05AM EDT
Apr 08, 2014 at 01:04AM EDT

You guys need a proper web technology expert in here

First, you are looking at HTML5 right now. Your browser is reading it to display this very webpage. That’s what HTML is: The markup that makes up modern web pages

Second, we had a thread on this and gfycat before. But back then it worked poorly. I don’t think KYM supported the video tag back then and WebM sucked inside an iframe. It looks like the technology has gotten more stable now and KYM no longer blocks the video tag.

Third, yes gfycat uses both WebM and MP4 formats inside a video tag to work. The “html5 video” label is misleading. WebM has little to do with HTML5 other than the fact that it needs to be displayed with HTML5 compliant markup

Four, this is still is not likely to completely replace gif. gif remains much simpler (takes up less lines of code to embed) and is supported in IMG tags which are an HTML staple. WebM uses the video tag which isn’t meant to be used like an image tag and has its own purpose.

Then again, it is only a matter of time before we have web apps and image editors easily creating the webm format and I can easily see sites like Senorgif using it

@TSG

Plus, few sites support .webm yet since HTML5’s yet to be fully implemented.

HTML5 has been out for ages and is the standard across virtually all websites now. However WebM is new to the market and even HTML5 compliant websites still need to add support for WebM as the format (since it is a video format) is not added the same way other image formats are uploaded

@cheffdonty

Testing.

Let me try.

[edit]

Works in iframe but the video tag still broke. Weird. It worked in the other thread

Last edited Apr 08, 2014 at 10:23AM EDT
Apr 08, 2014 at 07:21AM EDT

Meh, it will take some time, but it will eventually takeover standard web formatting I guess. PayPal is already using it on their site:

The image with the guys sitting together is a WebM.

Last edited Apr 08, 2014 at 10:16PM EDT
Apr 08, 2014 at 10:16PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

You guys need a proper web technology expert in here

First, you are looking at HTML5 right now. Your browser is reading it to display this very webpage. That’s what HTML is: The markup that makes up modern web pages

Second, we had a thread on this and gfycat before. But back then it worked poorly. I don’t think KYM supported the video tag back then and WebM sucked inside an iframe. It looks like the technology has gotten more stable now and KYM no longer blocks the video tag.

Third, yes gfycat uses both WebM and MP4 formats inside a video tag to work. The “html5 video” label is misleading. WebM has little to do with HTML5 other than the fact that it needs to be displayed with HTML5 compliant markup

Four, this is still is not likely to completely replace gif. gif remains much simpler (takes up less lines of code to embed) and is supported in IMG tags which are an HTML staple. WebM uses the video tag which isn’t meant to be used like an image tag and has its own purpose.

Then again, it is only a matter of time before we have web apps and image editors easily creating the webm format and I can easily see sites like Senorgif using it

@TSG

Plus, few sites support .webm yet since HTML5’s yet to be fully implemented.

HTML5 has been out for ages and is the standard across virtually all websites now. However WebM is new to the market and even HTML5 compliant websites still need to add support for WebM as the format (since it is a video format) is not added the same way other image formats are uploaded

@cheffdonty

Testing.

Let me try.

[edit]

Works in iframe but the video tag still broke. Weird. It worked in the other thread

Thanks BSOD! Lending a hand to us tech incompetents in a real help!

Ah, I see. So opposed to a gif, which is in an image format (in coding, in embedding, etc), webm uses video.

Interesting stuff, your explanation cleared up a lot of things (HTML5 in particular. I knew what html was, just didn’t know that HTML5 was it’s current/updated form) but as my programing and coding skills are equal to that of a chimpanzee, I have no idea how to do any of this.

Also, DAT WEBM
Anyone got a source for that?

[Before I forget, how did you manage to upload the webm here?]

Last edited Apr 09, 2014 at 02:21PM EDT
Apr 09, 2014 at 02:04PM EDT

WebM is a brilliant video container with excellent compression and a BSD-style license. However, I don’t quite see them as the “successor to GIFs”, because that would imply the comparison of Animated GIFs, which are lightweight, audio-less, and infinitely loopable, to WebM, which is a fully-fledged video format, not merely limited to something as simple as a 4-second reaction vid.
That having been said, I fully support any website’s decision to use WebM as a video format, and I hope to see it get more attention in the future.

Last edited Apr 09, 2014 at 04:31PM EDT
Apr 09, 2014 at 04:31PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!