Forums / Discussion / General

232,775 total conversations in 7,784 threads

+ New Thread

Random Sampling Revels Steam's Unplayed Games

Last posted Apr 17, 2014 at 03:30AM EDT. Added Apr 16, 2014 at 02:24PM EDT
9 posts from 6 users

So this company called Ars reveled what they call Steam Gauge which is allowing them to make estimates on some public Steam data. Their technique (which samples 0.04% of estimated steam accounts a day) shows that about 37% of games owned haven't even been played once. That's pretty significant (although my own is much higher I'm sure). Have some more charts that reveal more cool stuffs:

I wonder how much this has to do with people just not having time to play them vs. people just not having time to download them. I know for me it's the latter. It takes hours of valuable internet bandwidth to download one game. That's time that can be spent collecting hats on TF2. lol.

Last edited Apr 16, 2014 at 02:28PM EDT

I know plenty of people who see prices at Steam they just can't pass up. At that time they're already playing through multiple games, and when they're done with that they don't feel like playing whatever they bought. They just think:"Ah, that's right, I have to start with that too some day"
I'm not very suprised by these numbers honestly.

Good thing my laptop is too crappy for most games, that way I don't feel like buying a lot of games, in case they don't run on it.

Ticklechap Crispybottom wrote:

I know plenty of people who see prices at Steam they just can't pass up. At that time they're already playing through multiple games, and when they're done with that they don't feel like playing whatever they bought. They just think:"Ah, that's right, I have to start with that too some day"
I'm not very suprised by these numbers honestly.

Good thing my laptop is too crappy for most games, that way I don't feel like buying a lot of games, in case they don't run on it.

Same Here. My laptop's graphics limitations keep me from buying too many games. That way I get to enjoy each one I get! (That is, unless it's a shit game coughthemeparkstudiocough)

I bought about $150 in games (during a winter and summer sale) until I found out my computer wouldn't run half of them. Then I decided it was time for a new computer and bought one I was sure could run them all. Now I COULD run them all, but I need a new Hard Drive because in 6 months I've already filled up almost 350GB (out of 500) with mostly games. lol.

I'm the only one around here that only buys games that I'll actually play?

I bought what, The Walking Dead, Dishonored and XCOM (expansions/DLCs included) that's it. I'm not counting what I spent with F2P games of course.

That's all.

Last edited Apr 16, 2014 at 08:09PM EDT

@Bruno: Yes, Yes you are. Pic Related:

I've played maybe 15% of my games and have downloaded 35ish titles over my history. The only one I manage to play regularly is TF2 though. lol. Also, I think my games are valued around $1k, but I've spent around $300 for them all through extreme winter sales and Humble Bundles. lol. I still plan on buying Goat Simulator too. xD

Last edited Apr 16, 2014 at 10:34PM EDT

I just wanna point something out here.

See those games on that list that are never played? Day of Defeat, Ricochet, Deathmatch Classic?

Those are games that come free with a lot of Valve games. I checked my steam games list and I do have them. I got them free with Counter Strike which I payed for and played liberally

What are these games? Ancient old Valve classics with no online community and have lost a lot of lustre over the years. If you know what they are, you will very likely not be tempted to install them. The charts may still be putting them up there because they aren't really going for "free". You gotta buy them individually. But people are "buying" these games and never playing them because they came with another game that they payed for and played…probably Dota 2

Also, Half Life 2: Lost coast is a tech demo. Half Life 2: Deathmatch just never caught on. Both can come bundled with Half Life 2 but you wouldn't be bothered installing those games either

I don't know what the excuse is for the other games though.

Personally, I definitely play what I buy

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!