Forums / Discussion / General

232,892 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

Martial Arts General

Last posted May 24, 2014 at 04:44PM EDT. Added Apr 21, 2014 at 12:28AM EDT
23 posts from 12 users

I'm not sure if we've ever had one of these, but as a practitioner of a few martial arts I felt that this could be interesting. Discuss styles you practice, styles you are interested in, and anything related to the martial arts.

In terms of my own experience with martial arts, I am currently practicing Taekwondo, Aikido, and some jiujitsu grappling. Taekwondo is the one I practice the most regularly. I've been doing it for a year or 2, and I am currently a green belt. I haven't done any competitive stuff yet, but I might compete this summer, if I'm confident in my abilities. For those who aren't familiar with Taekwondo, it's a very fast-paced martial art with an emphasis on kicking and speed.

I actually got into Aikido because a club started practicing at my school, and I decided to join because of my general interest in martial arts. Aikido is a very interesting style due to it's emphasis on not harming your opponent. Flexibility plays a big part in it, but it's mostly focused on avoiding the attacks of others and then turning that attack against them. Another really cool thing about Aikido is that we also do swordplay. I actually have my own bokken (a wooden sword) to practice with, which is really awesome.

I do grappling at the club that I go to for Taekwondo. It's very focused on close combat and out-maneuvering your opponent. It's a very tactical martial art, and knowledge of the techniques and how to execute them is more important than physical strength from my experience. It's also one of the most tiring things I have done in my life. The constant struggle of always trying to be one step ahead of your opponent is incredibly intense and draining and homoerotic.

So anyways, what about you guys? Any other martial artists out there? Anybody who doesn't practice themselves but is interested in the world of martial arts? Discuss away!

I've had around 4 years of Taekwondo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training, but I've since stopped doing pretty much all physical activity save for jogging due to a pretty rough knee injury a few years back.

(I've also always wanted to check out Jeet Kune Do, just throwing that out there.)

Used to do Ken-Po Karate, which my parents and a few other people insist I was good at, despite my not remembering being very good at it.

I can still throw down if I need to, but I really don't like fighting, nor have I actually had to for a few years now, thankfully.

In the few fights I can really remember (I prefer not to talk about this topic) I generally used my size and limb length advantage to put people in very awkward positions by twisting my limbs around theirs in a way that they couldn't move without pulling me down to land on top of them.

I did some practice with rubber knives and padded "short-sword" type things called Action Bats, which I was pretty good at.

TL;DR I'm good at sword/stick/rod fighting, grappling, and kicking, but I REALLY don't like to fight.

Last edited Apr 21, 2014 at 03:22AM EDT

I practiced kenpo karate up until I recieved a purple belt and then more recently did some submission grappeling. I stopped though and have been focusing purely on weight lifting and running for my excersize. When I praticed martial arts, I was about 140 lbs of skin and bones, but now I'm 190. I might go back into it eventually, but at the moment I'm fine with what I know.

Last edited Apr 21, 2014 at 11:23AM EDT

There is a kendo class at my Taekwondo club, so I've seen people practice kendo, but have not tried it myself. I believe many of the basic techniques in kendo are similar to the swordplay techniques (considering that they are both Japanese martial arts), but kendo is more focused on the competitive aspect while Aikido is entirely non-competitive. I would recommend looking into kendo though, as swordplay in general is a really interesting way to get exercise, especially for your upper body. It's also fairly easy to practice, as most of the techniques can be practiced with even a broom handle.

Also the uniforms and headgear look pretty badass.

I took Taekwondo for a few years when I was a little-un, but I gave up because it was 2tuff4me. Thinking back on it, I regret dropping out when I was so near having a black belt, so I might join another class soon. I'll probably have to start all over though… Not sure if it counts, but I've also touched on capoeira a bit: the Brazilian dance-fighting thing. Fun Fact: Capoeira exists because slaves weren't allowed to fight, so they disguised fighting as dancing when they wanted to settle their differences with each other.

Most of the Martial Arts training I do now is self-taught stuff I do when I'm bored using the background I already have and sort of winging it. I tend to take really good techniques I see in movies and games and test them out in real life to see how they fit. Currently, my style is pretty random. I'm pretty good at CQC (*C*lose *Q*uarters *C*ombat) if I do say so myself. I have a rubber practice knife and I'm good at mixing up use of a weapon along with physical attacks. I also keep a real combat knife but I hardly use it for safety reasons. Overall though, I've never been in a real fight and hope I never have to.

Kendo is freaking awesome. I just love watching that.

I know Wushu, Ninjutsu, Kung Fu, all the Us…

But seriously, because I'm Chinese in ethinicity, a lot of annoying people ask if I know martial arts or just assume I do. I don't, (too bad though).

I took a bit of Taekwondo when I was real small, didn't continue because it didn't interest me back then (silly me) but I don't see much of a loss in it; I'm more interested in a martial art that can be used as a self-defense. I kept to heart the Arnis that I learned in the 3 months that I was taught. Right now I want to fully learn a martial art and hopefully I'll be taking boxing/kickboxing soon. I haven't been in a ring yet but I've been studying up and letting loose on focus pads for a month and a half now.

I haven't been in a real fight since high school. I remember at one fight I sent a punk straight to the clinic with one clean punch to the eye (poetic, he shot me once in the eye with a rubber band) and in another I turned some dick's face half-red (I was sleeping and minding my own business but he kept shoving me awake every few seconds.) I didn't use any martial arts when I socked it to them, just a whole lotta guts. Truth be told I might have the case of the bloodlust; I'm actually hoping some jerkface rubs me the wrong way. Imagine the damage if I actually trained to hurt people.

Truth be told I might have the case of the bloodlust; I’m actually hoping some jerkface rubs me the wrong way. Imagine the damage if I actually trained to hurt people.

No offense, but that is a terrible mentality to have and I'd advise you to re think that before you get into martial arts. The worst thing you can do is assume you are Bruce Lee just because you know some martial arts. You will just get your ass kicked or will look like a massive douche. I am gonna put it this way, I am 6' and weigh 190 lbs. I can bench 250 for 3 reps and squat 300 lbs. I am no expert, but I have experience in Kenpo and submission grappling. I am gonna say that I am probably stronger, bigger, and more experienced than you, still I would never start trouble and am always the first to back down and I always try to avoid a fight even if it makes me look like a "bitch". If you want to learn martial arts, do it for the exercise, discipline, culture, and to learn self defense. Not because you want to become an ultimate badass. I hope i don't come off as rude as that is not my intention, I just dont want you going in for the wrong reason or going in with unrealistic goals.

@kendo

Yeah, not gonna lie, my intrest in it stems from anime. Still, I looks pretty cool and I would like to practice something that's physically and mentally challenging. The class is relatively far though, so I might just take Muay Thai or Ju Jitsu. If the kendo place has weekend classes, I could probably go once a week.

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 04:43PM EDT

@Dac

Very well said! Martial Arts is not something to be taken lightly or something for you to use to look for trouble. It's more to protect yourself and others if you absolutely need to, but it also teaches you how to avoid conflict ironically. On a side note, you're pretty strong! I'm currently doing average physical training, but when I feel that I get pretty powerful, I'll probably go back into some kind of martial arts class. Possibly something other than taekwondo since I had sour experiences with it previously.

Also, not to poop on your party Onion Syrup, but punching people in the face as hard as you can is not a sign that you're a good fighter. You have much to learn grasshoppah. Also, if you like aggressive fighting more as you said, boxing, kickboxing, and MMA are perfect for you. Of course they're more dangerous than the traditional, East Asian forms of martial arts we're talking about here, but it looks like you're into that. You can get your energy out effectively. There is one-on-one sparring available in taekwondo and others, but it's not as aggressive usually.

@kendo

I totally would, but it seems a little costly for my limited budget. You probably need loads of gear unlike others in which you only need a uniform. I'm already decent with a synthetic or real blade or any big stick really so kendo would be a step up and would teach me a lot more than what I taught myself. Also, kendo seems cheaper than fencing and also more my style, so I'll consider it an option.

Last edited Apr 22, 2014 at 07:15PM EDT

@stealthy sam

when I feel that I get pretty powerful, I’ll probably go back into some kind of martial arts class.

That's actually why I stopped going to my submission grappling class, to get stronger. I know they teach you that "size/strength doesn't matter" but honestly I would get man handled by the stronger and more fit people. In my experience, strength is pretty important for martial arts. Granted, you don't need to be The Rock, but I think you need to at least be fit, and I really wasn't. At this point, I think I am strong enough to be able to stand a chance, so once finals are over, I'll see about joining. I like Muay thai a lot. It's aggressive and seems like a very effective martial art. Also, the conditioning would be good for me since I need more cardio. Still, I really want to do kendo. How is the conditioning in kendo?

@ Dac & SSS

You guys are right. If ever I want to vent my adrenaline out I shouldn't do it out of bloodlust somewhere in the streets, but in the ring and with discipline. Aside from the self-defense I'm pretty sure they're good for exercise too, which is the other thing I'm totally looking forward to.

And yup, I like the way kickboxing, boxing (I have Little Mac's body type!) and MMA looks, but I don't particularly want to get into the latter because it looks difficult to implement all of the grappling in a self-defense situation. I'm going to end up a pulp in their rings at first if ever I sign up, but hopefully I'll get better. Aside from those three, I'm also interested in some Eastern arts like Muay Thai, Judo, and Jui-jitsu, but they look way out of my league; they're way too cool for me

So… I finally got into a Muay Thai class. It's not really officially a Muay Thai school per se; there's basically a trainer that teaches us students how to punch, kick, knee, and elbow properly while giving us obstacle courses to improve our footwork. We weren't taught the history of the martial art, nor are we taught about the etiquette before and after fighting (e.g. bow.) Does anyone think this is bad? I think I'm really getting results -- if not discipline -- from it at the very least. Kinda embarrassing a bit though because I'm the only dude, as in all my other classmates are Korean girls, while not too far from where we train is where all the bully-looking dudes are.

Hmm, I think the importance of etiquette and history differs from style to style. For example, a tradition based art like Aikido places a lot of importance on mannerisms and history, while something like Krav Maga, which is more focused on the self-defense aspect, will not have the same need for strict etiquette or knowledge of the history of the art. I'm not too familiar with Muay Thai myself, but I've never heard about it being very strict on stuff like bowing and such (though this might be different in the competitive scene), and the way you describe it makes it sound like a pretty good class. They way it's structured kind of reminds me of my grappling class.

Also, don't worry about being embarrassed or anything like that. From what I've seen, a lot of the bully-looking dudes are actually really shit fighters from a form and technique perspective. Seriously, I've seen videos of random fights with some of the most awful looking punches ever coming from supposedly "badass" guys. You and your classmates are probably more competent fighters with your training than the average "tough guy".

I've been around Aikido, Hapkido, and Kajukenbo for a bit, but I'm mostly experienced with Taekwondo. I got my Third Degree back in '09, but I haven't done much of anything since. ATA (or, at least the ATA I've dealt with) makes it too much of a sport for me deal with.

@CrouchingSloth
Yeah, I've never known Muay Thai to be very traditional either; it's usually very aggressive. I guess I'm just a bit surprised how much my trainer focuses more on the actual fighting rather than the discipline that comes with it. I remember back when I was a toddler who took a bit of Taekwondo, we always bowed. And a bit more recently when I gave Arnis a shot, there was a lot of bowing and respecting the stick.

I've been doing Kenpo for a little over ten years, and I'll be getting my second degree black belt by the end of this year.
I've wanted to pick up another martial art but I don't have the time, especially since I'll be in my senior year of high school come autumn.

My school does a little bit of Jiu Jitsu, so I have some informal training in that. I used to kickbox, but, again, my time is constrained.

We also do a lot of weapons, which are the only things I seem to be good at. I'm pretty awesome with a pair of chucks if I do say so myself!

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!