Forums / Discussion / General

169,587 total conversations in 5,527 threads

+ New Thread

Is vaccination bad, good, necessary, unecessary, harmful, harmless?

Last posted May 11, 2014 at 12:24AM EDT. Added May 09, 2014 at 10:35AM EDT
26 posts from 20 users

I’m starting to think the anti-vac movement was started by some kind of super-villain who’s goal is to kill off the human race.

Even if they did cause autism (which there is 0 evidence for), I know a ton of autistic people who lead normal, successful lives. I don’t know any terminally ill ones who do.

May 09, 2014 at 11:34AM EDT

From your title, vaccinations are bad, good, necessary, unecessary, harmful, harmless.

May 09, 2014 at 11:55AM EDT

The claim that vaccinations cause autism is little more than fear mongering, not to mention flagrantly ignorant both vaccinations and autism. For someone that is autistic, it’s almost offensive

Depending on the vaccine and who it is given to, it can either do a lot of benefit or make little difference, but certainly have no proven detriments.

May 09, 2014 at 12:27PM EDT

The only reason a child should ever go without a vaccination is if they are allergic to the vaccination or otherwise have a bad reaction to it. Anti-vaccination honestly legitimately scares me. It’s obviously been gaining a lot of traction over the last few years (even though they are still a very scarce minority in comparison to the rest of the population) and as the video Panda posted explains, if enough people decide vaccination is bad and don’t get themselves vaccinated that could tip the scales and cause a comeback of all the horrible fatal and crippling diseases we’ve been fighting for decades.

I highly recommend watching Penn & Teller’s: Bullshit episode on vaccines. It’s linked at the bottom of the post Hypercat linked to (linkception) and watching it will be the best half hour you spend all week.

May 09, 2014 at 12:46PM EDT

Vaccinations are one of the greatest medical achievements we’ve ever made. The fact that we’ve been able to completely eliminate a disease that previously killed millions is testament to that.

I’ve yet to see any actual evidence of the autism connection. What I do see is >implying causation. Parents get their kids vaccinated at about the same time autism starts to manifest. They see these “chemicals” pumped into their child, then they’re child starts with the development disorder. In their shock/panic/heartbreak, they blame the most “logical” thing that could have lead to this--the vaccine.

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 07:37PM EDT
May 09, 2014 at 07:36PM EDT

Lets see
Getting bit by a wild badger that could be rabid

Yea i would want a set of rabies vaccines because that doesnt look sanitary

Teatnus

If you remember watching this episode, it should be enough proof to you that vaccinations are needed and good. If you still doubt it , go ask someone who has or currently works in a Steel Mill, auto repair shop, or is a machinest.

Ive had all of my required vaccinations and ive been doing fine

May 09, 2014 at 07:47PM EDT

The only harm vaccinations do is the tiny hole you now have in your body. At least some consider it harm.

May 09, 2014 at 07:51PM EDT

Bullshit! is the fucking shit, man.

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 08:09PM EDT
May 09, 2014 at 08:06PM EDT

Even if vaccines did cause autism, that wouldn’t be bad.

May 09, 2014 at 08:46PM EDT

It probably doesn’t cause autism. Why? because the definition of autism has changed over the years to include more people, thus the diagnosis of autism has skyrocketed. Just like ADHD, most people who are diagnosed with autism would be considered healthy previous to this definition change. Finally, real autism is bad, don’t fool yourselves into believing otherwise.

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 10:40PM EDT
May 09, 2014 at 10:39PM EDT

@Tim:
“Real” autism? So we’re going to believe that only one part of the autism spectrum counts as “real” autism now? Yeah, there’s severe autism and it’s much harder to handle than what most posters here talking about autism have to deal with, but don’t fool yourself into thinking there is only one type of autism that really matters. And still, I think many people’s point still stands that even severe autism is not nearly as bad as having a child who is dead or crippled for life due to a disease that could have easily been avoided through vaccination.

May 09, 2014 at 11:52PM EDT

If you were vaccinated, you have Illuminati mind-control drugs in your bloodstream.

May 10, 2014 at 01:10AM EDT

Crimson Locks wrote:

@Tim:
“Real” autism? So we’re going to believe that only one part of the autism spectrum counts as “real” autism now? Yeah, there’s severe autism and it’s much harder to handle than what most posters here talking about autism have to deal with, but don’t fool yourself into thinking there is only one type of autism that really matters. And still, I think many people’s point still stands that even severe autism is not nearly as bad as having a child who is dead or crippled for life due to a disease that could have easily been avoided through vaccination.

Good point. The real question is: What is autism? Does it really exist anymore or is it just used as a justification for people not fitting in average beahavior standards?

May 10, 2014 at 04:52AM EDT

Well autism used to be more specific back in the past. Referring specifically to the obvious debilitating cases such as the one Tim was referring towards.

You know the kind of severe cases where the autism seems more like a brain damage than a brain difference? Back in the 50’s – 60’s, Tim would be right about that being ‘Real’ autism. Everything else back then wasn’t really understood and wasn’t placed under that definition.

In recent times, the definition of autism changed to a broader definition that includes far more children. This happened because autism affects people in varying degrees. But while some people are lucky enough not to be affected by autism to the point of clinical retardation, it still remains a massive struggle and kids growing up with it need help, even if its a minor case.

Autism is now a spectrum. When you talk about it, you are talking about a range of different developmental and behavior glitches in kids. Whether it is the spastic hyperactivity of ADHD or the social disconnection of Asbergers. An autistic kid can have one or more of any of them. And all of those differences in typical behavioral/social development can be considered autism. Real autism I should add.

The only fake autism is self diagnosed autism. The kind where a parents looks at their kid being a typical angsty jackass and instead of blaming their own parental failure at teaching the kid to behave, they just assuming it’s AS.

How this ties in with vaccinations is so: A broader asperger definition means naturally more kids are going to get diagnosed. Then people go and correlate that increase in autism diagnoses with something completely unrelated…like vaccines

May 10, 2014 at 05:16AM EDT

Vaccination is good, no doubt about it as seen by this glorious tumblr post:

Science: 1 Ignorance: 0

Last edited May 10, 2014 at 05:33AM EDT
May 10, 2014 at 05:32AM EDT

Still waiting for someone to come up to this forum and actually have the balls to side with anti-vaccination after all that’s been given. Clearly no one’s balls are that big, and no argument can back up anti-vaccination now.

May 10, 2014 at 08:31AM EDT

It doesn’t matter if vaccination is harmful or not, there are people who can take advantage of either situation.

May 10, 2014 at 09:46AM EDT

Evilthing wrote:

It doesn’t matter if vaccination is harmful or not, there are people who can take advantage of either situation.

Yes, it really does matter. Despite people “taking advantage of the situation” (as it is with literally all situations), vaccinations have made many of the most horrible diseases known to man almost a thing of the past.

This whole argument of “vaccinations are for outdated diseases” is so fucking stupid I can hardly even wrap my mind around it. They’re “outdated” because vaccinations have made it rare to fall victim to them. You can bet that if we stopped giving vaccines for them, those diseases would come back full force, like they’re starting to because of this anti-vac bullshit.

If someone invented a cure for cancer, and there was an anti-cure movement against that (which you can bet their would be), that wouldn’t be so bad, because it’s natural selection in action. If those idiots wanted to kill themselves off I would fully support it. This shit, in contrast, drags everyone else into it.

I don’t know if this is the sign of a failed society that’s destined to fall soon, or if humans just have some kind of self destructive nature that kicks in when we no longer have a real struggle against survival.

May 10, 2014 at 01:13PM EDT

Dr. Coolface wrote:

If you were vaccinated, you have Illuminati mind-control drugs in your bloodstream.

…that is sponsored by the Patriarchy, the System, ect,ect…

But on a serious note here, i would rather have a small amount of pain then risk having to go through some of he effects of a lot of these diseases. I do wish that they would speed up development of more needle free vaccines

May 10, 2014 at 01:52PM EDT

Panda wrote:

I don’t know if this is the sign of a failed society that’s destined to fall soon, or if humans just have some kind of self destructive nature that kicks in when we no longer have a real struggle against survival.

It’s basically human nature that we don’t trust authority. So when truthers come out with a list of all these scary looking ingredients in our vaccines it’s going to be a natural reaction to say “I knew I couldn’t trust doctors!” and those who don’t actually research their shit further will just stick with those “facts” and decide their opinions of not trusting scientists and medical officials is valid. Mix that in with people turning correlations into causation and you’ve got one hell of a stupid movement. Unfortunately, this whole anti-vaccination movement is 100% human nature at work.

May 10, 2014 at 02:28PM EDT

It’s their choice if they wan’t their children to die early. I’m pretty sure it’s harmless, it’s good and it is very necessary.

May 11, 2014 at 12:24AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!