Forums / Discussion / General

232,636 total conversations in 7,777 threads

+ New Thread

Google is secretly shadow banning innocent people from commenting on YouTube. "Ghosting"

Last posted Jun 16, 2014 at 01:00AM EDT. Added Jun 07, 2014 at 02:52PM EDT
10 posts from 7 users

For anyone who doesn't know what shadow banning is, here is the definition:

shadowban

Banning a user from a web forum in such a way that the banned user is unaware of the ban. Usually takes the form of showing that user's posts/profile/etc. only to that user; other users never see them. Considered underhanded chicken-shit behaviour.

Source: Urban Dictionary

Google has implemented a faulty spam filter into the YouTube commenting system and now this spam filter has been shadow banning innocent people for making normal comments that it thinks is spam.

People call this anti-spam method that Google has made "ghosting".
Even though this is just another name but the same thing as shadow banning.

I have basically said everything now.

So here are two links that lead to two threads on the Google help forums with a quite large amount of people discussing about this exact very problem:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/aETNn7NZGj8%5B1-25-false%5D

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!topic/youtube/A-xWNnlyaNs%5B1-25-false%5D

Please note that this is not new and has been going on for 5 months now.

I was originally going to post this thread on January 2 when I was first affected by this but I did not because I thought that people would not believe me and there was hardly any evidence to support that this was actually going on at that time. Only now I have made this thread because I now have a lot of hard solid evidence to prove that this exists with the links to the Google help forum threads I have pasted above being that evidence.

So over all, what do you guys think of this.

If my posts seem messy then feel free to give any advice to me on how to make them clean, tidy and consistent looking, I would much appreciate it. Thank you. :)

Lulzesty wrote:

God my post is messy! I try using different spaces between paragraphs to make it look tidy but it just doesn't seem to want to work. :/

Offtopic but we should really have a "preview message" feature. No idea why we don't.

Lulzesty wrote:

It has been 6 days since I made this thread and madcat is the only one who has made a comment on it.

Come on guys, where is everyone? :(

You can't make anyone be interested in a thread, I'm afraid. As a tip, you may want to use shorter titles and a shorter OP post (or embolden a "tl;dr" for your post at the bottom).

You may also want to use textile or HTML to shorten links.

"Words you want for link":www.ImageURL.com

"Google.":www.google.com
Gets you Google.

Here's a thread that has a lot of tips and tricks that can help emphasize some points and make longer posts neater. A lot of that just comes with lurking and feeling out what a forum community responds to.

But I'll maintain that not everything a person thinks is important is something other people will think is important.

Last edited Jun 14, 2014 at 11:22AM EDT

what makes this situation so fucked up is the fact that no matter how mad people get at Google there aren't many alternatives to youtube, so we pretty much have to just take it up the ass

Last edited Jun 14, 2014 at 04:28PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

You can't make anyone be interested in a thread, I'm afraid. As a tip, you may want to use shorter titles and a shorter OP post (or embolden a "tl;dr" for your post at the bottom).

You may also want to use textile or HTML to shorten links.

"Words you want for link":www.ImageURL.com

"Google.":www.google.com
Gets you Google.

Here's a thread that has a lot of tips and tricks that can help emphasize some points and make longer posts neater. A lot of that just comes with lurking and feeling out what a forum community responds to.

But I'll maintain that not everything a person thinks is important is something other people will think is important.

I know that I can't make anyone be interested in this thread and I wasn't forcing anyone to be interested in this thread. I guess what really got me was that this is kind of a serious subject and the fact that people couldn't care to post about how they feel about the large amounts of other people secretly getting their right of freedom of speech taken off them kind of shocked me in a way.

Thanks for the tips by the way, they were very helpful. :)

Last edited Jun 14, 2014 at 04:47PM EDT

At this point, Google needs to tear YouTube from the roots and start over, or at least hand the reins over to someone who actually gives a shit. They've screwed it over countless times from the functional and effective video hosting site that three college guys were able to come up with on their own and in their spare time.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!