Forums / Discussion / General

171,516 total conversations in 5,628 threads

+ New Thread

2014 World Cup

Last posted Jul 19, 2014 at 06:05AM EDT. Added Jun 11, 2014 at 04:07PM EDT
199 posts from 37 users

Tomorrow, the whole world will tune in to watch 32 countries compete for the biggest prize in the game of football/soccer – the World Cup. Who will win it all? How will America do?

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:07PM EDT

Hard to say how America will do. They have a strong team and are a team to look out for for a possible strong preformance….. but we are in a dangerous group and it wouldn’t be that crazy for us if we don’t even leave the group. Really, America is a wild card.

Nippon on the other hand is hands down best team. Get ready westerners to see how descendants of samuri will cut you to pieces. Desu kawaii desu

Jun 11, 2014 at 08:41PM EDT

Dac wrote:

Hard to say how America will do. They have a strong team and are a team to look out for for a possible strong preformance….. but we are in a dangerous group and it wouldn’t be that crazy for us if we don’t even leave the group. Really, America is a wild card.

Nippon on the other hand is hands down best team. Get ready westerners to see how descendants of samuri will cut you to pieces. Desu kawaii desu

Oh, they’re going down. They’re in the Group of Death: Germany is Germany, Portugal is, I assume, a very strong soccer nation, and Ghana always beats us. Basically, I think our boys will have plenty of time for fun in Rio after they get immediately knocked out.

Jun 11, 2014 at 09:09PM EDT

My ears are already bleeding. Here in Argentina takes the World Cup like its the coming of Christ. The Tv is chockfull advertisement of “being a fan” or “patriot” or how Messi is the best. I’m already wishing the team loses…..

Jun 11, 2014 at 09:16PM EDT

Yay! It’s happening again in the country of my heritage! I usually visit Brazil every year, but I’m not this year solely because of the chaos surrounding the Cup. Airports, you know? Anyways, I hope Brazil kicks everyone’s asses like they’re known for, especially since this is a home game, but they’ve been lacking for a few years now. My hopes are still relatively high though.

@Thrash95

I totally understand. In most Latin American countries soccer is like a religion. I cannot stand the dogma and I don’t understand it to be honest. Every time the home team gets a goal everyone roars. My alarm every morning in Brazil during the World Cup is a few relatives yelling “GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!”

Jun 11, 2014 at 09:33PM EDT

^
I want a team from the Americas to win, and who better than Brazil. So I am also rooting for Brazil.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:34PM EDT

Dac wrote:

It’s easy to say what America will do: Lose.

Germany are one of the best footballing nations in the world

Portugal has Cristian Ronaldo, who can probably beat the US single footedely,

Ghana are the best African side in the competition.

I’d be very surprised if America gets anything but 3 straight losses.

Last edited Jun 11, 2014 at 11:14PM EDT
Jun 11, 2014 at 11:13PM EDT

Strange Festive Jimmy Lethal wrote:

I’m still laughing about >Canada. But really, if you want a really good WC conversation, go to /sp/. Do it. Now.

>Good conversations on /sp/

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:41PM EDT

>Mexico
>Group A
>Brazil, Cameroon, Croatia
>Many people believe our team can trough to the second round
>The coach promised in front of “our” president that we can reach the quarterfinals
>mfw

Mexico didn't make it trough to the quaterfinals since the USA World Cup of '94

Seriously, I don’t think my country will ever pass to the second round, not since how we classified to the present World Cup.

Last edited Jun 12, 2014 at 01:07AM EDT
Jun 12, 2014 at 01:06AM EDT

Trust me, I think you have a good chance of making it to the second round.

Cameroon qualified REALLY badly. Croatia don’t know how to play in the South American heat and have lost some players to injury. Not to mention that Croatia have to take on Brazil in the opener.

Jun 12, 2014 at 05:43AM EDT

england r gonnaa wiiiinnn

/joking

But seriously, how are England going to do? We’re in the worst group I’ve ever seen and our first team we’re up against is Italy, how Roy Hodgson could possibly say we’re going for the world cup this year is absolutely surprising to say the least.

Fridge Logic wrote:

Portugal is, I assume, a very strong soccer nation

Dude, Portugal is pretty good, they have the likes of Ronaldo, Pepe, Nani, Alves, Moutinho, Raul Meireles and Coentrão just to name a few. Portugal is pretty strong. No time for assumptions when Cristiano Ronaldo is skilling round you Americans :P

Last edited Jun 12, 2014 at 08:17AM EDT
Jun 12, 2014 at 08:09AM EDT

Oh, boy. I don’t think the US of A is going to made it into the quarters. I’ve never seen them peform surprisingly well to catch my attention.

Anyway. Germany is best team lelelelel

Jun 12, 2014 at 09:16AM EDT

Obligatory Ronaldo GIF:

Poor poor Croatia having to face Brazil :-/
I don’t really have a team to root for, but I guess I’m interested in Spain, Portugal, and Brazil. Maybe Italy (just to see if Balotelli does anything weird) xD

Jun 12, 2014 at 02:04PM EDT

majesticspace (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚☆ wrote:

Obligatory Ronaldo GIF:

Poor poor Croatia having to face Brazil :-/
I don’t really have a team to root for, but I guess I’m interested in Spain, Portugal, and Brazil. Maybe Italy (just to see if Balotelli does anything weird) xD

What’s he saying?

Jun 12, 2014 at 02:49PM EDT

Eng-er-land! Eng-er-land! Eng-er-land! Eng-er oh sod it we don’t stand a chance. If I had to guess at a winner, I would say the Netherlands, if only because I don’t know much about football.

Jun 14, 2014 at 02:43PM EDT

chowzburgerz wrote:

Croatia – 1
Brazil – 3

Final

Jun 14, 2014 at 03:22PM EDT

Danthefish wrote:

Eng-er-land! Eng-er-land! Eng-er-land! Eng-er oh sod it we don’t stand a chance. If I had to guess at a winner, I would say the Netherlands, if only because I don’t know much about football.

So we lost our first game… I’d like to refer to my previous post.

But seriously, we played really well and got unlucky, that’s how I see it. There were a few flaws though, I guess, like set piece fails…

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:56AM EDT

>Netherlands.
>Grouped against Spain.
>Lost 2010 World Cup against them in the final.
>Going pretty downhill since then.
>Nobody really believes we’ll make it through to the quarter finals.
>Up against Spain in the first match.
>We’re fucked.
>Entire country face when:

>We win.
>5-1
>5-1
>5-1!!!
>tfw

Then again, that’s still not perfect news. In the Eurocup of 2008, we were grouped against Italy and France, the countries that were in the finale of the world cup 2 years prior. It was dubbed the “Poule of Death” in the country.

We suprisingly owned the group phase, only to then lose against Russia in the quarter finals because we got too full of ourselves.

Last edited Jun 15, 2014 at 03:21PM EDT
Jun 15, 2014 at 03:17PM EDT

I know Germany will annihilate us if we don’t step it up, but shit that was awesome. And that nose kick made me cringe.

Jun 16, 2014 at 08:05PM EDT

@fridge and burning pheonix

It’s easy to say what America will do: Lose.
Oh, they’re going down…Ghana always beats us

lol, u mad phaggots?

Jun 16, 2014 at 08:08PM EDT

lol, u mad phaggots?

And you believe the US is capable of beating both Portugal and Germany?

You’re not a football country, so your odds are dangerously low. Under the odds that they make it through the group phase, they won’t even reach the quarter finals. Then again, no country really is bad this year, some are just worse.

Last edited Jun 16, 2014 at 08:50PM EDT
Jun 16, 2014 at 08:41PM EDT

^
Germany, no way. Not the way they are going. Portugal isn’t exactly on their…. Top game. So why not. Anything can happen. I think it goes without saying that soccer is unpredictable. Also, why Germany and Portugal? We would really only need to get one more win to get out of the group and that would be success enough for me. I never believe they could win the cup, just a good showing.

Also, USA is currently ranked higher than Netherlands……
Not saying they are better, just saying….

Personally, I just want the cup to come to the Americas. I hope Brazil or Argentina can get this. As someone born in Latin America, I love when Latin American countries have a strong showing.

Last edited Jun 16, 2014 at 08:56PM EDT
Jun 16, 2014 at 08:49PM EDT

I wasn’t really rooting for anyone in particular during the Ghana vs. US match even though I’m an American myself, but I was kind of surprised they won. Well, the only way ’Murica can win against Portugal is through pure luck honestly.

P.S. Ur goin’ down Mexico. Brazil’s gonna 1v1 ur asses

Jun 16, 2014 at 09:02PM EDT

^
Mexico has been awful lately. I was surprised they won their first game, so I see Brazil winning. Brazil though really needs to step up their game though if they want to make it to the final.

@Randomman
One more thing. I prefer the USA not being a Football country and doing all right than being the Netherlands, a Football country who have made it to the finals three times and lost every time. That hurts a lot more….

Last edited Jun 16, 2014 at 09:11PM EDT
Jun 16, 2014 at 09:07PM EDT

United States beating Portugal is a good possibility, but no way they’re beating Germany

Jun 16, 2014 at 09:08PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

lol, u mad phaggots?

And you believe the US is capable of beating both Portugal and Germany?

You’re not a football country, so your odds are dangerously low. Under the odds that they make it through the group phase, they won’t even reach the quarter finals. Then again, no country really is bad this year, some are just worse.

This year, the unexpected occurred a couple of times.

Costa Rica topped Uruguay in an upset.
Netherlands unexpectedly blew up Spain.
Switzerland upset Ecuador.

I could expect America to at least get 4 points at the end of this, I could be wrong.

Last edited Jun 16, 2014 at 09:14PM EDT
Jun 16, 2014 at 09:13PM EDT

Krusty Kreme wrote:

This year, the unexpected occurred a couple of times.

Costa Rica topped Uruguay in an upset.
Netherlands unexpectedly blew up Spain.
Switzerland upset Ecuador.

I could expect America to at least get 4 points at the end of this, I could be wrong.

Yeeeeaahhh, but even suggesting the USA will do at least somewhat well against the likes of Germany is not really accurate.

Portugal started off really badly, so they may have a chance there, but who knows.

Jun 17, 2014 at 01:15AM EDT

Dac wrote:

^
Mexico has been awful lately. I was surprised they won their first game, so I see Brazil winning. Brazil though really needs to step up their game though if they want to make it to the final.

@Randomman
One more thing. I prefer the USA not being a Football country and doing all right than being the Netherlands, a Football country who have made it to the finals three times and lost every time. That hurts a lot more….

So what you’re saying is that the Netherlands are the Minnesota Vikings of the World Cup?

Jun 17, 2014 at 01:19AM EDT

All the negativity in this fuckin thread seriously has to take a break because the US finally beat Ghana and that’s all I care about so I’m just gonna be this

#AMERICA

Jun 17, 2014 at 01:52AM EDT

Let me tell you how it went.
Ghana is all like " lol, lets beat these cunts"

Barely 30 seconds in, America was all like….

All the Bald eagles jizzed because the amount of freedom that emanated from kick was too much to handle, Al-Qaeda ceased to exist, and english men everywhere cursed the day they tried to stop the revolution!

Jun 17, 2014 at 02:39AM EDT

^
>Mexico’s reaction to all their doubters (myself included)

Jun 17, 2014 at 05:12PM EDT

Krusty Kreme wrote:

Prepare for the biggest buttfucking, Mexico.

Except they tied. That keeper of Mexico played a godly match.

Last edited Jun 17, 2014 at 08:08PM EDT
Jun 17, 2014 at 08:07PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Except they tied. That keeper of Mexico played a godly match.

Ochoa was fucking beast that match. Only good thing about today’s games, which in my opinion, were pretty boring.
When will people realize that despite a teams pedigree, there is never really a sure match in the World Cup? Except Netherlands when they are in a world cup finals match….

Last edited Jun 17, 2014 at 09:08PM EDT
Jun 17, 2014 at 08:53PM EDT

Dac wrote:

Ochoa was fucking beast that match. Only good thing about today’s games, which in my opinion, were pretty boring.
When will people realize that despite a teams pedigree, there is never really a sure match in the World Cup? Except Netherlands when they are in a world cup finals match….

Jun 17, 2014 at 09:04PM EDT

Sorry, should have specified I meant World Cup finals match. Fixed it.

Damn though, I’m getting worried. Brazil is not convincing me at all that it can go the distance. Germany seems like its going to steamroll the competition, and jokes aside, Netherlands is looking really good.

Last edited Jun 17, 2014 at 09:10PM EDT
Jun 17, 2014 at 09:07PM EDT

Really want to see how Colombia will do against Japan and Ivory Coast. It’s been 16 years since the last world cup and Colombia already beat Greece 3-0 I have high hopes for my country.

Jun 17, 2014 at 09:45PM EDT

Mexico vs. Brazil in a nutshell:

Demn! The goalkeeper save our asses for a long time.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:05PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!