Forums / Media / Video Games

38,599 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

Half-Life General

Last posted Sep 19, 2014 at 09:42PM EDT. Added Jun 11, 2014 at 08:42PM EDT
27 posts from 14 users

I wonder what it will take for Valve to make HL3. They've said they want to wait until they can make it the best thing ever and make sure it lives up to the hype and beyond and totally outclass its predecessors. They're waiting for some spark of brilliance in the creative department and also futuristic technology that can support whatever their brilliant idea will be. So basically, never. I admire how Valve doesn't want to become like CoD or something and just mindlessly pump out sequels until they become hopelessly diluted and lose their individual identities as games. Still though, they've got to release one eventually. I just know it. I don't think we should expect anything beyond a "3" though.

Slutty Sam wrote:

I wonder what it will take for Valve to make HL3. They've said they want to wait until they can make it the best thing ever and make sure it lives up to the hype and beyond and totally outclass its predecessors. They're waiting for some spark of brilliance in the creative department and also futuristic technology that can support whatever their brilliant idea will be. So basically, never. I admire how Valve doesn't want to become like CoD or something and just mindlessly pump out sequels until they become hopelessly diluted and lose their individual identities as games. Still though, they've got to release one eventually. I just know it. I don't think we should expect anything beyond a "3" though.

It's next gen, who knows

The day Half-life 3 comes out is when Blizzard announces Warcraft 4.

I enjoy Half-life, I think it is a engaging adventure with endless fun and I played it many times over the years. It is truly a master piece of video gaming art and story telling, and a legend amongst first person shooters.

However, I cry violins knowing I will never see a really good Half-life RTS.

Chickenhound the Cruel wrote:

The day Half-life 3 comes out is when Blizzard announces Warcraft 4.

I enjoy Half-life, I think it is a engaging adventure with endless fun and I played it many times over the years. It is truly a master piece of video gaming art and story telling, and a legend amongst first person shooters.

However, I cry violins knowing I will never see a really good Half-life RTS.

The day Half-life 3 comes is when Blizzard releases the next expansion (delays, delays and more delays).

But seriously, Half-life 2 is available on most modern platforms

Larger version

HL2 will probably hit Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Xbox Two, PS5 and Wii u² before we will see Half-Life 3

Considering that the new Consoles have a ton of resources available, i would be surprised if Valve didn't make some sort of serious internal push to make HL3. But then again, 9th gen consoles, PS5 and Xbox Two, would have much much faster internal bus links and stacked DRAM. Which would guarantee any developer the horsepower they need for any game.

I seriously hope they dont wait another 5+ years to make HL3. Seriously, dafuq Valve.

Last edited Jun 13, 2014 at 09:17PM EDT

I'm sorry to say but I think Half Life Is terribly overrated. Bad? No. A masterpiece? No. It was a fun game and I really enjoyed it. But there are good FPS games out there and very few are better then Half Life in my opinion. I love the design of the headcrabs. It's up there (but not quite as good as) Xenomorphs.

I want episode 3 but I can wait.

Spider-byte said:

I’m sorry to say but I think Half Life Is terribly overrated

The thing about Half Life is it basically revolutionized the FPS genre when it came out. Before it, you had Quake, Doom, etc. You had guns, there were a bunch of monsters you shot at, have eight paragraphs of story while the next level loads. Half Life fully wove the story into the gameplay, something that hadn't been done that much in FPS games before that.

Spider-Byte wrote:

I'm sorry to say but I think Half Life Is terribly overrated. Bad? No. A masterpiece? No. It was a fun game and I really enjoyed it. But there are good FPS games out there and very few are better then Half Life in my opinion. I love the design of the headcrabs. It's up there (but not quite as good as) Xenomorphs.

I want episode 3 but I can wait.

I can understand why you'd see it that way to be honest. It's about my third favorite video game series of all time and tied with Zelda to me, but to be honest, it's mainly how good they were at release like xTSGx stated. The first one pretty much defined FPS's forever and the second one wasn't as revolutionary when you think about it, but it's still widely considered to be magnitudes better than the first and reshaped FPS's in some ways, especially with the awesome Source engine that was used for many good games to come. One of the main reasons why I like it so much is the excellent story and the way it ties into the gameplay without using annoying cutscenes all the time and how interactive everything is. I also like the mix of action and horror.

Still, I can't force you to think they're masterpieces and it makes sense to me why you would feel this way. Sometimes, it does get quite overhyped. The third game is made out to be the greatest thing that will ever be known to man and crap like that, but people will probably drown in their own overly high expectations when it comes out and be somewhat disappointed because they're expecting too high. Yes, it most likely will be great, but not as great as the hype makes it out to be most likely. In fact, one of the reasons Valve keeps putting off developing it is because they want the inspiration and power to make a perfect game because they're scared of not living up to the hype.

xTSGx wrote:

Spider-byte said:

I’m sorry to say but I think Half Life Is terribly overrated

The thing about Half Life is it basically revolutionized the FPS genre when it came out. Before it, you had Quake, Doom, etc. You had guns, there were a bunch of monsters you shot at, have eight paragraphs of story while the next level loads. Half Life fully wove the story into the gameplay, something that hadn't been done that much in FPS games before that.

That's the thing though. I loved Doom and quake so much more and I think was more revolutionary In terms of what it did, yet with barely half the praise. And while I think HL was revolutionary but only to allow in my opinion better shooters to come out. Like you could say Halo: Combat Evolved's campaign was inspired by Half Life but in terms of fun, working FPS mechanics Quake was so much influential.

Also might buy this to go along with my Chestburster at this store I go to.

Unpopular opinion time: I thought the first Half-Life was better than it's sequels.
I just enjoyed the setting way more. It felt like there was a real sense of danger, which 2 and it's episodes lacked.

Neptune Vasilias wrote:

HL: FLC 3 (Half-Life Full-life Consequences: Free Man)

The first time I saw that was probably the hardest time I laughed in my entire life. No joke. My lungs were burning by the end of it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!