Forums / Discussion / General

232,886 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Capcom is For Sale

Last posted Jun 18, 2014 at 04:55PM EDT. Added Jun 17, 2014 at 04:45PM EDT
24 posts from 23 users

Since 2008, Capcom has essentially had a system in place where another company couldn't just jump in and buy up more than %50 of the shares to buy up the company. As of just awhile ago, that is no longer in place. Somebody with enough money can come in and literally Buy Capcom.

And to be quite honest, Capcom is such a large 3rd party that whoever buys them will suddenly have HUGE control over the industry if they are managed correctly.

Link to the Article

"Oh buy the new street fighter to save Capcom!"
"Hurr durr, Megaman on Smash Bros, that means Capcom is fine!"

I saw this coming miles ago. After Resident Cutscene Evil 6 and Super Ultimate Rainbow We copied this shit from SF X Tekken, this was inevitable.
Like pizzaguy said, I honestly hope Nintendo buys Capcom and makes it return to its former glory. I'm pretty sure they will do a nice job..
I mean bloody hell, look at this..

Last edited Jun 17, 2014 at 04:58PM EDT

I don't really think Nintendo will buy Capcom. Like the Atlus Fiasco, they'll just call Sega to buy the company. And the good part about Sega buying Atlas is that Sega let's them do creatively whatever they want with old Sega IP's.

And Maybe we might see this as an actual game:

Sega FTW

Title's somewhat misleading. Capcom's not for sale, their shareholders have merely removed the takeover blocks that prevented companies from buying 51% of the company. To buy half of Capcom, at current stock prices, would cost 481,000,000 dollars. That price tag would likely go up significantly if word got out about a takeover bid as the stock price shot up.

Nintendo's most likely. They got ten billion dollars worth of equity they've stored up over the years. It's the main reason people weren't panicking that severely when they announced loses, since they could lose money for over a decade and still have reserves. They also need more games for their console and how many people would buy a Wii U if it got an exclusive Mega Man game?

Sony's pretty much out. Sony Corp's been hemorrhaging money for years and I doubt their board would want to blow half a billion dollars on something when they can't even keep their Headquarter building.

Microsoft certainly could, having 78 billion in equity, but it's been rumored for a while that, after buying Nokia, they want to spin Xbox off into it's own company and focus on the mobile and PC fight. Leaving consoles--which have very low profit margins--out of the "company strategy." So it's somewhat unlikely they'd want to invest in a company when they may not be staying in the fight for much longer.

Third party wise, EA's always a monster looming on the horizon, even if they don't have as much cash. Activison-Blizzard's merger has put pressure on them and Capcom could be just what the shareholder pressure ordered.

Activison-Blizzard's probably out. Even if regulators approved it, merging a third company into the mix can only spell trouble and corporate infighting would no doubt ruin any synergy that may develop. They do have the money, though.

ZeniMax doesn't have close to enough money to buy them, but the two companies are roughly equal in size, value wise, so a merger could happen. ZeniMax is private though and has some equity firms with shares, so that could be poisonous to Capcom's shareholders.

Sega Sammy's a real possibility as they're already a holding company, which makes them perfect for gobbling up other companies. They also have plenty of funds. It wouldn't merge with Sega, though, and would probably be kept as it's own independent company for corporate infighting and divesting sake.

Ubisoft's been losing money as of late, so it's doubtful they'd want to merge with someone until they can get their finances in order. They lack the cash to outright buy Capcom which leaves merging as their only real option.

There's also the possibility a media company like Comcast, 21 Century Fox, or Disney could wish to expand its portfolio and diversify by getting a firm foot into the video game market. It'd make some sense too as they'd no longer have to license their games but could produce them in-house--taking 100% of the profit.

RandomMan said:

Who currently is the biggest shareholder?

Capcom's three largest shareholders are:
>Crossroad Ltd. (9.38%)
>JP Morgan Chase (7.69%)
>Nomura Bank (Luxembourg) S.A. (4.63%)
Full list here.

Last edited Jun 17, 2014 at 06:45PM EDT

Ticklechap Crispybottom wrote:

If it's possible to buy seperate IPs Nintendo needs to buy:
Megaman
Monster Hunter
Ace Attourney

Those are games Nintendo gamers buy and are affliliated with Nintendo, so it would be a shame if they are Sony/Microsoft exclusive from now on.

It would be more cost effective to buy the company over buying the rights to certain IPs.

I'm hoping for Nintendo to swoop in personally. Megaman with Nintendo seems to just feel right. I am also a Resident Evil fan and hopefully they would give us more Resident Evil Revelations then Resident Evil 6s.

This announcement should not be surprising to anyone who was watched Capcom fall from grace. This announcement is a culmination of years of bad ideas and bad games that has left Capcom vulnerable enough for the shareholders to open Capcom up to the possibility to being bought by another company rather than continue down the path of bankruptcy that Capcom set into motion years ago.

It is also worth mentioning that whoever buys Capcom, buys their years worth of debt. After someone buys them, expect Capcom to be gutted out so their debt can be managed. Ideally, I would expect Nintendo to buy them because they seem to be interested in Megaman and other ips Capcom provides them including the Monster Hunter series which has been a major driver for 3DS hardware. Also, they would acquire their years worth of ips and make them exclusive would be a major play for them to sell their hardware.

Sony has enough financial troubles and is barely staying afloat; I doubt that they could shoulder another company’s debt. The only main contenders are Nintendo and Microsoft, but I think Nintendo will take control this time due to the reasons listed above; they have more to gain from purchasing Capcom than Microsoft.

Edit: Wait, I just remembered that Japanese law prevents western companies from taking over Japanese companies, I guess that leaves Microsoft out of the picture. By default, this will be a financial matter between Nintendo and other Japanese 3rd party companies.

Last edited Jun 17, 2014 at 07:00PM EDT

Oh wow, this really sucks.

But then again, yeah they made some terrible decisions. (Not continuing Megaman, and Resident evil 6 really sucking bad). So this was kinda long-time coming.

So, basically, this happened:

Along with this:

Nintendo, this is your chance to seize so many IPs that it's not even funny. Plus, Platinum is on your side – this is the deal of a console generation! Plus, you've got enough money in the vault to last you decades – you could probably pay off Capcom's debts in a heartbeat.

Last edited Jun 18, 2014 at 02:03AM EDT

I'm on the same boat a lot of other guys are on; Nintendo is in the best position and would benefit the greatest to acquire Capcom. Nintendo suddenly has THE MOST Must-Have exclusive IP's on their systems (mainly the Wii U because that's suffering the most at the moment), many franchises get breathed back to life at the joyous horrah of the fanboys, Nintendo gets a foot into the conglomerate functions they wanted to since last investors meeting.

Will Nintendo do it though…?

This is literally something we can bet money on it's so unpredictable. But let me get this straight.

According to this, Capcom's current stock is $17.41 a share (I converted it to US dollars myself). Split amongst 150,000,000 shares according to this.

So we have a company roughly worth $2,611,500,000. Lets just assume Nintendo only buys up what they need to actually own the company; $1,305,750,000

So 1.3 Billion Dollars for complete control over Capcom? Well now. Nintendo has over 10 Billion dollars in the bank night now.

So yeah, Nintendo can literally buy Capcom right now with 1/10th of the allowance it's saved up.

But in all honesty, an acquisition, reorganization, and maintenance THAT big may lean Nintendo away from it. I guess we will just have to see.

Last edited Jun 18, 2014 at 07:18AM EDT

Yeah, I don't really see any of the big video game companies taking this offer up. It's not that they can't afford it, but like Nats said, there's even more to it than just buying the company. I see either no one wanting to buy Capcom, or some other non-video game company stepping in to expand their portfolio like xTSGx said. Just because the option's there now, doesn't mean anyone will take up the option. Besides, so long as I guess my Ace Attorney on Nintendo consoles, I'm content

Nintendo buying Capcom would be the best thing that has ever happened to every Megaman fan.

The way Nintendo treats the Blue Bomber is amazing. and when compared to Capcom's treatment to Megaman, go see SFxT's Megaman. He makes everything vomit.

I wish Nintendo would buy Mega Man since Capcom barely cares about the series anymore and by the looks of Smash, they are treating him and Pac-Man with respect. Since they are very iconic video game characters.

Not really wanting to get into the mix here, I just want to thank everyone for the interesting information, especially xTSGx and Tim the Enchanter. This has to be one of the best threads I've seen here since I started posting again. High quality stuff in here.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!