Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

Comic Book General

Last posted Jul 17, 2014 at 11:28AM EDT. Added Jun 22, 2014 at 06:45PM EDT
20 posts from 9 users

It's about time for this. So this is Comic Book General. This is for anyone who currently reads comic books/graphic novels or who is looking to get into them. You can post what you're reading, recommended reads or any past or current series. This is not limited to the superhero genre or Marvel or DC. For those curious on comic books on graphic novels such as if you want to get into a certain style or genre of comic book, specific superhero essential reads or just about comic books in general like where to get them and TPBs vs subscription.

Currently I have just started The Walking Dead on volume 2 after watching the series and I have to say it is great. I've also got more volumes of that and Mark Waids Daredevil and I'm planning on getting the new Amazing Spider-Man (the one after superior) when they are available as graphic novels.

Well I've been recently been reading some old GI joe comics with the usual MTMTE, dark Cybertron, and Windblade, nothing out of the ordinary from this IWD comics fan though I really need to get some Marvel and DC comics more often.

Sir Soundwave wrote:

Well I've been recently been reading some old GI joe comics with the usual MTMTE, dark Cybertron, and Windblade, nothing out of the ordinary from this IWD comics fan though I really need to get some Marvel and DC comics more often.

Any particular ones?

Guys since this exists, I need to tell you about "Afterlife with Archie". The title probably throws a lot of people off it, and that's an absolute shame because it is a fantastic horror read. There is death, people being torn apart, terrifying panels and a lot of feels.

You don't have to be an Archie fan, but seeing America's teens in a situation as gruesome as this is definitely something awesome. I don't know how they came up with this, but yeah, check it out. You won't be disappointed!

Last edited Jun 22, 2014 at 07:12PM EDT

Well, first of all, I'm currently following 59 series that are expanded in companies such as Marvel, DC, IDW, Dynamite, Image, Vertigo, Valiant, etc. and some independent sources.

My most recent readings include Valiant's ShadowMan, DC's Forever Evil, Vertigo's WE3, Dynamite's Masks and IDW's Doomsday1. I'm just some guy that likes to read different kind of stories, that's all.

I'm planning to read The Sandman in the near future, though.

Anyone read Injustice: Gods Among Us? It blew my mind every direction. I’m keeping up with year two as it comes out, but goddamn those first ten or so issues of the first release were the best comics i’ve ever read.

Last edited Jun 24, 2014 at 04:30PM EDT

I Don't actually the read comic books themselves, i mostly go on wikis and read them from start to finish, Any pages i do read are just scans i managed to find on the internet. That is why i know so much about the different Marvel and DC superheros, I would honestly like to pick up a comic book, but i'm a bit skeptical. I only ever buy something that i'm 100% sure i'm gonna like. And plus the stories have just come so far along, and i don't wanna just start off late, but it seems like a lot of reading if i start from the beginning.
If there was a website where they had comic books for free like they do for manga i would definitely read it.

Last edited Jun 24, 2014 at 05:09PM EDT

majesticspace (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚☆ wrote:

Ooh a comic book thread! Well, I've been reading Doctor Strange (early stuff), and I got Hellblazer as well. I feel like reading some DC though, so should I just jump right into the New 52? Or should I start at an earlier point..

Jump into the New 52. But get some of the good older graphic novels like I recommend Batman: Year One and some alternate universe ones like Superman: Red Son.

Both books arrived and I have read The God Butcher. It is easily one of the best reads in a while for me. The art is stunning and the story got me really invested. If you haven't got it you should definitely pick it up.

Not Really Spoiler but avoid if you plan on reading Miles Morales: Ultimate Spideman

The current Ultimate Spiderman saga got me some mixed feelings. I don't know how to react. I really like Miles but he is not Peter. And, as the cover suggests, Norman coming back is not a good thing for miles.

Fred_MK wrote:

It annoys me that this place is not active…

Then why don't you post something on-topic then?

Anyway I have started reading TASM: New Ways to Die. And damn does John Romita Jr really take after his father with some amazing artwork. For me Dan Slott is a really good writer that occasionally makes bad decisions (*cough*SuperiorSpiderman*cough*) but this was one of his good ones in making Anti-Venom and I know what happens with all the symbiote stuff later on but I think Anti-venom should have stayed along with the other symbiotes.

One of the shining parts of the TPB I'm reading is the the short story "Fifth Stage" with Mark Waid, who's high up there on my top writers along with someone I haven't heard of called Adi Granov but their art really compliments that stories tone and looks really good.

I'm going to move on to Thor God of Thunder: Godbomb today but I can only think of the story to really escalate and the art is stunning anyway.

There were way too many symbiotes. With the agent Venom making sucess (i believe he is now part of the guardians of the galaxy) those become sort of a main topic and the anti-venom had a decent ending in the spiders-islands saga. Superior spiderman was all about peter getting his body back but i can't say i enjoyed seeing a darker spidey (would rather have it in some sort of "what if" universe).
I haven't saw the ending of superior but i know peter is back (the cover sold it). Miles Morales was really interesting and with the whole "if you were dead, there is no comeback" rule that seems to apply to the ultimate universe (gwen is just a clone and they killed relevant characters like wolverine, magneto, xavier, cyclops, captain america, Peter Parker and Matt Murdock) it's fun to see both osborn and parker (even if it's just a clone). 3 weeks before the next issue and i can't wait.
Considering i'm a major spiderman fan my favorites order stands as:

1.Miles Morales: the Ultimate Spiderman
2.Agent Venom
3.Uncanny Avengers
4.TASM (prior to superior)

Since i'm a bit outdate i will finish reading the whole Age of Ultron saga and consequences alongside the Infinite (still clueless on what that might be).

To comic book readers quick notes. This is now about general discussion use the new forum if you want to talk about a particular series/characters.

So anyway do you guys buy individual comics or TPBs or digital? I myself but TPBs because the nearest store with up to date comic books requires me to take a train so I just order the TPBs online or get the TPBs if i'm at said store.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!