Forums / Discussion / General

232,892 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

Tumblr Preparation

Last posted Jun 24, 2014 at 09:19PM EDT. Added Jun 23, 2014 at 09:24PM EDT
14 posts from 11 users

I've been planning on getting a Tumblr account for some time now, but I never really explored what the site has to offer. What I want to know before joining are the basics, if it's as fucked up as DeviantArt, and the community the site has going for them. That's all.

What you really need to know is what blogs to follow. There are many different types, but generally the ones that are curated are the best. Kateopolis is a good example of this.

Many people's personal blogs are also very good. For example, a lot of our former staffers have excellent blogs. A few really great ones that I follow are Kenyatta Cheese, Mike Rugnetta, Olivia G. and Amanda B who actually left KYM to go work for Tumblr, so she's especially a pro.

Then you also have single subject blogs that cover stuff like photojournalism, weaponry, film, and art. You also have quirky blogs that kind of fits the Tumblr idiom of weird, single subject stuff like taking the gifs out of Buzzfeed posts so it's just the text, surreal Seinfeld fanfiction, famous album covers recreated with socks, and this one, which is the same pic of Dave Coulier reposted every single day. It's the most consistently good blog on the site.

You also have blogs that act as feeds for other sites, which can range from news sites like the Atlantic to webcomics like Dinosaur Comics and everything in between. You can also track tags for stuff you like, such as #art or #gaming or #memes.

That should give you an idea of what Tumblr has to offer, which is a lot. For all the shit it gets for being a hive of idiots, it's one of the best content sources on the web. You can also track tags for stuff you think is neat.

Also follow my blog because it's awesome.

Last edited Jun 24, 2014 at 12:33AM EDT

Professor Metallica enjoys pencils. wrote:

IMO, Tumblr is the same as Reddit. Yeah, there's scum if you look hard enough but if you follow the right people (or subscribe to the right subreddits) it can be a great site.

Also, Fridge Logic's blog is pretty awesome. Follow me too, if you like.

ty bb <3<3<3

Twilitlord wrote:

"Not Cool" content, basically content that violates the site's NSFW guidelines

Loli you linked your blog didnt you lmao

He linked Liche's. yeaaaaahh

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!