Forums / Discussion / General

173,925 total conversations in 5,716 threads

+ New Thread

Mental Health

Last posted Jul 25, 2014 at 02:54AM EDT. Added Jul 19, 2014 at 11:23PM EDT
40 posts from 32 users

I guess the point of this thread is to reassure myself, as well as others who may have mental health issues, that they are not alone.

So, considering the fact that people in the forum seem to be open and friendly, and the fact that some users have mentioned their issues, I decided to see if there was a thread based on the idea of users talking about their psychological issues, and how they cope, as well as allowing users to ask questions to others about their own issues. A few minutes searching in the forums and in the search bar, I couldn’t find anything related to open discussion about such issues, and so I decided to make a thread about it. Feel free to lock this thread and call me an idiot if it turns out I’m wrong.

Myself, I’ve been diagnosed with a few things. Major Depressive Disorder and Asperger’s Syndrome are the main ones. I’ve been struggling against Insomnia for the past 8 years, and I was thought to have a psychotic illness, which is still ambiguous as of now.

So, a few things I want to ask you guys:
Firstly, do any of you suffer from mental disorders and such?
Secondly, how do you cope with said mental disorders?
And finally, how do you cope with other people?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this may be more appropriate in the ‘General’ section. If any of the mods agree, could you possibly move this thread? Thanks.

Last edited Jul 19, 2014 at 11:25PM EDT

got aspergers
i just ignore it
i cope with other people really well, I’ve actually managed to make quite a few friends

in all honesty despite what people tell me I should do I don’t have “pride” in my disorder, because quite frankly it sucks

not being able to project emotions correctly, not being able to tell when someone is joking, And looking like a jackass because you don’t understand social norms is not awesome it sucks. And when people do shit like telling me i did a good job (when i clearly didn’t) or telling me i should be proud of who i am it urks me because it’s so damn patronizing

if i could wish this shit away i would do it in a heart beat

Last edited Jul 19, 2014 at 11:32PM EDT

TripleA9000 wrote:

got aspergers
i just ignore it
i cope with other people really well, I’ve actually managed to make quite a few friends

in all honesty despite what people tell me I should do I don’t have “pride” in my disorder, because quite frankly it sucks

not being able to project emotions correctly, not being able to tell when someone is joking, And looking like a jackass because you don’t understand social norms is not awesome it sucks. And when people do shit like telling me i did a good job (when i clearly didn’t) or telling me i should be proud of who i am it urks me because it’s so damn patronizing

if i could wish this shit away i would do it in a heart beat

I’m seriously glad to see I’m not the only one with Asperger’s Syndrome, because my lack understanding and literal mind has cost me a few friends in the past and has led to me being the target of bullying and such.

Thanks a lot dude, you’ve already made me feel better about myself.

Socks wrote:

I’m seriously glad to see I’m not the only one with Asperger’s Syndrome, because my lack understanding and literal mind has cost me a few friends in the past and has led to me being the target of bullying and such.

Thanks a lot dude, you’ve already made me feel better about myself.

in order to better understand social norms research them, that’s how i figured out shit that was okay and shit that was not okay.

Plus comments from places like this and YouTube whenever there was some cringeworthy shit happening helped a lot.

But i still slip up time from time

Aspergettilord here as well. Though I’ve long since absolved myself of the more serious effects of it.

Thing about Aspergers is that it hits you hardest when you are a kid. As you grow older it will gradually have less impact on you to the point of appearing normal, leaving you with just a few minor quirks

We had an Aspie thread here once. We discovered that we have an absolute crap ton of Aspies on this forum, self included.

It’s all part of our plan for WORLD DOMINATION

got aspergers
i just ignore it

This was my choice as well. It’s better to not really think about it and act like you don’t have it. I dislike the idea of having “aspie pride”. It’s not something I want to attach to my identity

my lack understanding and literal mind has cost me a few friends in the past and has led to me being the target of bullying and such.

Yup, been there.

Aspies take longer to figure this whole “society” thing out. You don’t pick up on social queues and norms easily. Which makes you easy to single out. But it’s not impossible. You will learn eventually. Seeing people act like retards on Youtube comments and learning what NOT to do, sure does help.

But i still slip up time from time

Yea. Seems you can only reduce yourself down to 0.1% sperglord, but you’ll never reach 0.0% sperglord.

Every now and then. I’ll still do something awkward

Last edited Jul 20, 2014 at 12:31AM EDT

I have Asperger Syndrome too, gotten diagnosed professionally at the age of 3. I remember a thread made for aspergers or autism like over 2 years ago. What I did to cope is that I learned from interacting on the internet in general either through websites or vidya. I observed on what to do and what not to do through real life examples I seen in real life or through internet.

But the friends I am with today really helped me with my social problems or answered my social related questions. They helped me a lot and I thank them for that.

Also it’s still saddening now the definition of these that are used online are not used to describe some one with a neurological disorder, but used as a new word for retard, awkward neckbeard, or in worse cases that I seen; a potential serial killer. (I doubt that last one would catch on though).

I have Paranoid Schizophrenia, and well it’s sometimes Annoying to have. this didn’t do good because my mother is a religious woman, she thought Demons have talked to me, thank god my father got me to a doctor. as for what it did i get distracted by the “Voices” because they keep saying that i’m doing a bad job at school.

oh and they sometimes give me bad ideas, like one with burning some homework, good lord i got in trouble for that.

Not really anything worth diagnosing. I’ve actually had really great mental health for most of my life. After falling in love once as a teenager and then crashing and burning awfully right after, I just decided to be optimistic, so I am! I was always happy as hell when I was in love because of my infatuation that made me hella high, and my crash was so bad, that I just decided, “Hey, just because I can’t be with her doesn’t mean my life is over! Why should I stop being happy? Why can’t I be happy like that all the time?” So I did exactly just that. I decided to be happy so I became happy. It was that easy. However, that’s just my way of doing things. I’m sure it’s not that easy for others, especially for those plagued with real issues unlike my relatively stress-free life. I’m sure my method of choosing to be happy can help for some and maybe help a few depressed people, but it’s not a solution to everything.

I’m painfully afraid of face-to-face interaction. I tend to panic when forced to be a part of a large group of people. Until very recently, I had extreme difficulty ordering my own food. I’m also irrationally afraid of failure and being unloved, so much to the point that I’m afraid to try anything risky for fear of failure, and I have to earn people’s approval, respectively.

Yes, that includes random Internet people. I don’t handle arguments well, even on the Internet, because it burdens me with thoughts that I’m not liked, and it distresses me.

I’m also very apprehensive about leaving what I perceive as my comfort zone. I’m a shut-in, and don’t leave the house unless forced to by work, errands, etc.

I also buckle very easily under pressure and stress. If too much pressure is applied to me, I effectively shut down (or break down).

I also greatly enjoy being the center of attention, even if I pretend I don’t. I guess that’s a part of my desperate need to be liked. Sometimes I’m intentionally dramatic to catch the attention of those close to me. It makes me feel better when I force them to show me they care. I hate that I do that, but I can’t control myself.

I don’t know if you’d consider any of these mental health issues, but that’s what I’ve got for you.

Last edited Jul 20, 2014 at 02:50AM EDT

Wow, reading through this, a lot of you guys have some pretty unfortunate conditions. I don’t know that many people in my life with mental conditions, and it’s surprising, if that’s the word, to see so many of you to have one. My best advice is to stay cheerful, and look at the world with optimism. Don’t bother with what other people think about you, be what you think is best for you. Just keep moving forward friends.

Last edited Jul 20, 2014 at 05:17AM EDT

While I haven’t been given a specific diagnosis, I have depression-related issues of some form. It used to make me very emotionally unstable. I would feel fine for most of a day, and then just one little thing could throw me into a downward spiral. It would usually progress like this:

• Man, this physics problem is really tough.
  • This shouldn’t be so hard, everyone else finds this very easy.
  • I’m just not good enough to keep up with them.
  • I’m going to fail.
  • I’m never going to be happy.
  • I’m never going to be loved.
  • I should probably add ‘kill self’ to my schedule for the next week.

I was never really suicidal. I had moments where there was nothing I wanted more than to just be done with everything, and I spent a lot more time than is healthy fantasising about how I’d do it, but I never made an attempt. These issues weren’t just caused by my work; I was the same with personal relationships. At times I would try to push people away because I reasoned that I was too much of a burden to them, and that they’d be better off if they didn’t have to deal with me.

Eventually, my suicidal thoughts started to scare me. I’d been running on the assumption that if I couldn’t get decent grades and my university kicked me out, I’d only last a few years before I ended it all. Then, half-way through my last year, I realised just how close I was to having that assumption becoming a reality. I went to see a doctor, she seemed pretty damn convinced that I was depressed, and I was on anti-depressants by the end of the day. The adjustment period was rough. When you take anti-depressants, it usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks for them to start having an effect, but until then they just make it worse. I made some really shitty decisions during that time.

I later signed myself up for cognitive behavioural therapy, and since then I’ve been doing a lot better. The meds are working fine (100mg Sertraline(Zoloft) daily, if you’re wondering), I’ve started correcting a lot of unhelpful beliefs that were keeping me trapped, and I’m just generally doing better – I’m more optimistic, more confident, more motivated, you name it. My treatment is far from done, but I have reason to look forward to the future now.

So, if I can give any advice to people who have similar issues, it’ll be to do something about it as soon as possible. Don’t feel as if admitting to being depressed is admitting to weakness. If it’s something that’s been bothering you for years, odds are you won’t be able to fight it alone, and there’s no shame in seeking help. The treatment can be rough, but you’ll see improvements in just about every aspect of your life.

Last edited Jul 20, 2014 at 06:54AM EDT

I have a mild ADHD which is less ADHD and more a functioning issue. That means while I’m not hyper excited and running all over the place, I rush things like work often. It affected my school life because in the beginning of the year, I was getting mostly C’s, but after much improvement I get a lot better grades.

Everyone’s very accepting here, so I’ll share. I’m currently seeing a psychiatrist because my GP reckons I may have Bipolar Disorder. Nothing diagnosed yet, but I’ll let you know when I hear anything.

I have never told this to anyone before. I have aspergers. I don’t like admitting it. I have a hard time holding a conversation with someone because it takes me a minute to process information. I am getting better at it though. It’s not as bad now compared to when I was in school. Like I said, I don’t like telling this to people because I don’t them thinking of me as ‘that guy with autism’.

Whether or not I’ve said this before in the fourms or anywhere on KYM but I do in fact have Aspergers (like anybody has said that in this thread yet :p) and some minior ADHD. However, despite having so little of these “mental disabilities”, I do have to take some medication in-order to aid my concentration (which its that time again that I change my dosage, it feels like I’m becoming immune to the medicine at times).

In someways I really don’t want to be cured for I honestly feel that my “disabilities” are part of my everyday personality, thinking in ways that nobody will ever be able to accomplish (or the exact opposite in some cases)

So that’s my story so… yeah me in a nutshell:

Never been to a doctor or had any official diagnosis, but the signs point to me having some level of Aspergers. The way it really affects me is fear of change or the unknown. I had a bad experience doing something or going somewhere 4 or 5 years ago, and I haven’t really been in a car since then. At this point I don’t even know if it’s fear so much as just being so used to how things are going. I still go out on my bike for exercise in and around the general area where my neighborhood is, but I haven’t even been to a store for years. Sometimes stupid and mundane things stress me out, like an auto race where my favorite driver is close to winning, or when family comes to visit and my routine changes (although I get over that quickly and always enjoy the visits). I’m not really moody, in fact I’m normally pretty jovial unless I need to be serious. I get my education online, and I’ve never had any learning difficulties that aren’t common to all students. I’ve been told by other people that I’m well spoken and I’ve never struggled with having conversations. I’m a bit OCD, but that’s more of a running joke than a diagnosis in this family. Some things I need to have things in a very precise order, and other things I really don’t care.

I have Aspergers / Autism (my mental condition has been referred to as both, so…)
I’m not too sure how I cope with it. Ever since I was 18 I’ve been trying to be more socially outgoing. Not for the sake of proving everybody wrong about my autism or anything like that.
I know autism doesn’t go away but despite that I still try and be as social as I can be. Because I like the occasional conversation and interacting with other humans. Maybe I’m not as much of a social-goer as people without autism, but still.
And honestly I don’t pay much mind to being autistic. It’s just something I live with, like being left handed or having certain-coloured hair. I consider it to be part of who I am, not an ailment or disadvantage.

Other people in my life tend not to mind. Mainly because I don’t tell them unless they ask. I’m not ashamed, but I’m not exactly going to say “Hello, nice to meet you! I’m autistic!”.
The only thing I can’t cope with is when people refer to my condition as a mental “disease”. I’d associate the word disease with things like a cold or a flu, not my mental health.

I’ve had ADHD for a very long time, and it’s actually extremely disruptive in my academic life because I rarely have the drive to do my homework on time, and I have extreme difficulty staying focused on a task for more than a week. I also have mild OCD, but it’s nothing too bad.

I was somewhat diagnosed with ADD/ADHD when I was a kid. Took “the patch” for about a week. I didn’t like it, so I chose not to take it anymore. I “ignored” it for a time so that I could hope to get into the military. That hasn’t played out so far (other issues) so I’ve been considering taking a pill or something to help with my school work (probably just like you Deltamelon). My participation in this site hasn’t helped much since the internet is very attractive for a person with ADD, and now I just want to go ride bikes.

I have personality disorders. All of them.

Personality Disorder Test Results

Paranoid |||||||||||||||||||| 81%
Schizoid |||||||||||||||||| 73%
Schizotypal |||||||||||||||| 65%
Antisocial |||||||||||||||| 64%
Borderline |||||||||||||||||| 73%
Histrionic |||||||||||||||||| 80%
Narcissistic |||||||||||||| 58%
Avoidant |||||||||||||||||||| 89%
Dependent |||||||||||||||||||| 82%
Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||||||||| 63%
Take Free Personality Disorder Test
Personality Test by SimilarMinds.com

I really appreciate the existence of this thread. Threads like this are like an exercise in community building as many people participate and share and connect with other users over shared traits

I don’t have any diagnosed mental health issues so I’m not sure what else I could really add to this thread, but I just wanted to say that I love threads like these and I’ll stay lurking for now

I will be moving this to general, as there isn’t really much “debate” going on here and similar threads like the LGBT thread are in general as well.

I have ADD, Aspergers, Autisum, and anxiety.

Ive managed to improve my social interactions substaintually once i got into high school and met a few new friends. ive also managed to do better in high school and college by changing my habits in studing which has helped me keep above a 3.0 average and reduce my test anxiety. Ive coped with all of my flaw by putting myself in social situations that would help interact with others such as joining clubs and doing more things with my firends that i normally dont do. I use some of the extra processing power i have and focus it on Industrial arts which is one of the things i enjoy doing as hobbies and for actual work. I feel that since it is one of my “obsessions” i have with my autisum, i feel more proud about whenever i build or repair something for someone and i want to make sure that my craftsmanship is at 110%. As for other people, i try to be as friendly as possible, i try to get on peoples good side especially if they have power above me such as a boss and remember this little speck of wisdom given by this supporting character from a popular cartoon

I know i wont impress everyone and i will slip occasionally into studdering a word or two and become anxious but i do try to make an effort to get over what is bothering me.

Courage, the Cowardly Dog had a lot of poignant and just plain deep moments.

I’ve been following this thread and the LGBT thread only speaking when I feel like I can contribute kinda like Locks. I’ve been to a therapist a few times, but I’ve never been suspected of having any sort of mental health issues outside of stress and burnout.

But I’ve learned a lot about the daily lives of people with ASD from my time on KYM. Very interesting stuff. Ric says he’s been helped by hanging out here, which I think is quite awesome. I think a lot of professionals might criticize Web Culture, because it might encourage people with ASD or other conditions that affect social interaction to not get out into the “real world.”

But I’ve been around for a while, have seen a lot of users with ASD here on KYM, and have gotten to know a few things about their real lives. And I think they’re growing up and maturing socially at a pace I wish I had (I just stay to myself, because I’m tired after work, and my friends are too.)

I can’t help but think a supportive community like parts of KYM aren’t just routes of escape from real-world, in-person social interaction but are actually springboards into it.

(sigh)

It comes to this day, does it?

I have autism. I have autism that really affects me personally. Not in intellect, but personality. I get really shy near people when they talk to me, take serious anger sometimes, and I often find myself being pulled from saying something because of that. I can’t even go to a friends house without thinking about the question for as long as 15 days and have true amounts of violent thoughts when someone talks for long.

However, if I hadn’t kicked most of it’s ass when I was a toddler, these effects would’ve stinged even more than they could right now.

There, now you guys know.

Last edited Jul 21, 2014 at 01:25AM EDT

Ok, fascinating thread here.
So I have:
Asperger’s/HFA
Major Depression
OCD
ADD – primarily inattentive

The worst thing so far has been the depression, which nearly killed me a few years ago. Fortunately I am doing a lot better now with medication (Sertraline (Zoloft) 100mg) and cognitive behavioral therapy which has helped me correct some thought patterns which kept me trapped in a depressive state and the meds just keep me stable. I’m more realistic in my outlook on life, more motivated, I hate the world less and am generally a better person all around thanks to the treatment.
My OCD is pretty mild. Pretty much no useless rituals but a lot of intrusive and unwanted thoughts. Mostly about hurting my cats or family, or about some future disaster which realistically won’t happen but still makes me very worried, and a lot of disturbing imagery in my head. The medication has helped with this too, making the thoughts and images less disturbing. Though they’re still there and sometimes don’t let me sleep.
With Asperger’s I’m usually by myself since most of the time I feel no need to socialize but in those cases in which I do (maybe a few days a month) I feel extremely lonely. Being on the internet has helped me a lot since there is only 1 way in which information is exchanged as opposed to in real life (typing words vs voice, tone, inflection, body language, facial expression etc) and is easier to keep track of. Also I’m more relaxed when communicating this way since there’s no need for eye contact and being (somewhat) physically close to the person. By far the worst part about having Asperger’s for me is the sensory processing issues. I have very sensitive hearing and some noises like fire alarms or motorcycles send me into panic mode. I also can’t filter out background noise so talking to people is nearly impossible outside of a quiet environment. Despite having good hearing I have trouble making out words which makes IRL conversations even more challenging. I also have trouble expressing myself but it’s gotten a lot better. It can be frustrating though.
The ADD doesn’t cause many problems except maybe in some classes. Thanks to ADD I did way better in honors/AP classes in high school than in regular classes or electives. Since I like learning and intellectual challenges, the harder classes kept me focused and entertained while with the easy classes I would get bored easily and would often skip assignments, fall asleep in class, read unrelated books and stuff like that. As a consequence I often end up with poor grades in classes which should be instant A’s.
There’s more stuff but I’m tired of typing and wanna go to sleep now. It’s past midnight here.

Ok

I have depression, I just go places with close friends and feel better. Other people are fine

I have OCD, (not the “omg i keep my room clean” type, it’s bad) I re-arrange my house once a month and it’s fine. Other people ask why my house has changed, I say it was a good idea to move, they’re cool with it.

I have anxiety, Nothing ever happens but if it does I just walk away regardless of what it is, sometimes embarrassing, but most of my friends know why. Other people that aren’t my friends, I’ll just explain to them later

I have partial aspergers, I ignore it cause it’s only like partial and doesn’t do anything (or so I believe hahah) I don’t tell people this a lot cause it lost me a fair few friends when i was in grade 1 when they found it

Last edited Jul 21, 2014 at 07:21AM EDT

big anime sweat drop

hey guys, the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (which is published by the american psychiatric association) has dropped asperger’s syndrome.

slate has a good article about it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2013/05/autism_spectrum_diagnoses_the_dsm_5_eliminates_asperger_s_and_pdd_nos.html

Last edited Jul 21, 2014 at 10:21AM EDT

@Captain Blubber
Taken from the article

Asperger’s syndrome, like every other diagnosis in the DSM, including anxiety and depression, has always required significant impairment. Still, those who already have a diagnosis “should just be transferred into the new system automatically,” says King. “This isn’t an administrative mandate for rediagnosis.”

So why’ll they may have dropped aspergers from the list it still means we have a problem, its just that problem wasn’t aspergers

I just wanna say here I think My anxiety is getting really bad as of late.

I don’t even want to leave my house but im gonna have to eventually for something or someone but I really dont want to and just thinking about going somewhere with a lot of people I dont even know makes me want to throw up and it makes me all feel tense and its just terrible
I’m not just saying this, It feels like my arms and legs are all cramped up and it hurts to walk so ive been using my treadmill thing to at least get some exercise but other than that it’s been sleeping in until 12:30 and being on the computer the whole day.

I’ve also had some pretty crazy dreams lately, as in Nightmares.

I’m gonna try and go outside tomorrow and post how it goes here, I guess.

Advanced Global Personality Test Results

Extraversion || 5%
Stability |||||||||||||||| 61%
Orderliness |||||||||||| 44%
Accommodation |||||||||||||||| 61%
Intellectual |||||||||||| 41%
Interdependence |||||||||| 33%
Mystical |||| 16%
Materialism |||| 16%
Narcissism |||| 16%
Adventurousness |||||||||| 33%
Work ethic |||||||||||| 41%
Conflictseeking || 8%
Need to dominate |||||||||||| 41%
Romantic |||||||||||||||||| 75%
Avoidant |||||||||||||||| 66%
Anti-authority || 8%
Wealth || 8%
Dependency |||||||||| 38%
Change averse |||||||||||| 50%
Cautiousness |||||||||||||||||| 75%
Individuality |||||||||||||||||||| 88%
Sexuality |||||||||| 33%
Peter pancomplex |||||||||||||||||||| 83%
Histrionic |||||||||| 33%
Vanity |||| 16%
Artistic |||||||||||||||||||||| 91%
Hedonism |||||||||||||||| 61%
Physicalfitness |||||||||| 38%
Religious |||||| 25%
Paranoia |||||||||||||| 58%
Hypersensitivity |||||||||||||||| 61%
Indie |||||||||||||||||| 75%

. . .

Umm, why am I here again?

Last edited Jul 24, 2014 at 07:56AM EDT

Foxy The Pirate Fox wrote:

I just wanna say here I think My anxiety is getting really bad as of late.

I don’t even want to leave my house but im gonna have to eventually for something or someone but I really dont want to and just thinking about going somewhere with a lot of people I dont even know makes me want to throw up and it makes me all feel tense and its just terrible
I’m not just saying this, It feels like my arms and legs are all cramped up and it hurts to walk so ive been using my treadmill thing to at least get some exercise but other than that it’s been sleeping in until 12:30 and being on the computer the whole day.

I’ve also had some pretty crazy dreams lately, as in Nightmares.

I’m gonna try and go outside tomorrow and post how it goes here, I guess.

KYM Attempted Online Therapy, Go!

I’m going to be relying very heavily on what I learned during my own therapy here. I know that your problems are different to mine, but as far as I know the following advice can be applied to just about anyone, so hopefully this might serve some use:

Problems such as depression, anxiety, phobias, etc, tend to be created for a good reason. They’re a part of our innate thread response systems, and the behaviours these emotions and fears lead to are intended to protect us. Anxiety leads us to avoid situations that we believe pose a threat to us in some way. It’s just our body’s way of telling us, “You’re taking a big risk, be careful”, or even just flat out: “You shouldn’t be doing this”. Anxiety is generally a useful thing, but for some the threat response system becomes a little too sensitive, and it becomes a problem.

Our threat-response systems are affected by a multitude of different factors. Your upbringing plays a very large role in how you respond to stress, as do any traumatic events in your life, and it’s largely just genetic. However, it’s not something that’s completely beyond our control. The way to beat it is to start challenging the unhelpful beliefs that are reinforcing your mental state.

Here’s an example from my own experiences:

I believed I was generally unlikeable and that I’d never be able to really connect with anybody (more of a depression issue than an anxiety issue, but the principle still applies). I identified this belief, and really forced myself to think about it. I reflected on my experiences over the last few years, and realised that I’d actually made quite a lot of friends (by introvert standards, anyway). I’m also very close with some of those friends, and we’ve trusted each other with some pretty personal information over the years.

The reality was that my belief did not hold up. That belief had been leading me to feel depressed, which in turn made me act moody and short-tempered, which in turn caused me to regularly start arguments with my friends. Whenever that happened, I would reflect on the argument, think, “I really am unlikeable”, and the cycle would repeat. Meanwhile, I wasn’t paying attention to all of the good experiences I was having with my friends which directly opposed my belief.

I imagine something similar is going on for you. The solution is to really think it through: What scares you about it in particular? What’s your emotional response when you think about it? (like, just fear, or are there other emotions mixed in?) What do you think the results will be if you do go out in public? Is this causing any specific behaviours or physical responses? (You already mentioned feeling tense, getting cramps, feeling nauseated, so just more stuff like that). It’d probably help to write it all down somewhere. Maybe even draw it up in a cycle like the one I described earlier.

Once the problem is identified and understood (which may take more time and effort than you’d think), you can start challenging it. Just go outside and take the risk. See it as an experiment. Afterwards, try comparing your experience to everything you’d written down beforehand. Were the results comparable? I imagine you’ll find that it won’t be as bad as your fears suggested it would be. If you repeat this over and over again, each time reflecting on whether or not your beliefs held up, eventually you may be able to make some progress towards removing it altogether. Start slow though.

Oh, and it may be a good idea to look into getting some medication if you haven’t already. I saw in your earlier post that you suffer from depression as well as anxiety, and there are quite of a lot of drugs that reduce both (sertraline, my own medication, is primarily prescribed for depression but also serves as an anti-anxiety drug). It’s rare for medication to solve the problem entirely, but it often does help.

So yeah, good luck tomorrow, and I hope you start feeling better soon.

Last edited Jul 24, 2014 at 09:05AM EDT

Algernon wrote:

KYM Attempted Online Therapy, Go!

I’m going to be relying very heavily on what I learned during my own therapy here. I know that your problems are different to mine, but as far as I know the following advice can be applied to just about anyone, so hopefully this might serve some use:

Problems such as depression, anxiety, phobias, etc, tend to be created for a good reason. They’re a part of our innate thread response systems, and the behaviours these emotions and fears lead to are intended to protect us. Anxiety leads us to avoid situations that we believe pose a threat to us in some way. It’s just our body’s way of telling us, “You’re taking a big risk, be careful”, or even just flat out: “You shouldn’t be doing this”. Anxiety is generally a useful thing, but for some the threat response system becomes a little too sensitive, and it becomes a problem.

Our threat-response systems are affected by a multitude of different factors. Your upbringing plays a very large role in how you respond to stress, as do any traumatic events in your life, and it’s largely just genetic. However, it’s not something that’s completely beyond our control. The way to beat it is to start challenging the unhelpful beliefs that are reinforcing your mental state.

Here’s an example from my own experiences:

I believed I was generally unlikeable and that I’d never be able to really connect with anybody (more of a depression issue than an anxiety issue, but the principle still applies). I identified this belief, and really forced myself to think about it. I reflected on my experiences over the last few years, and realised that I’d actually made quite a lot of friends (by introvert standards, anyway). I’m also very close with some of those friends, and we’ve trusted each other with some pretty personal information over the years.

The reality was that my belief did not hold up. That belief had been leading me to feel depressed, which in turn made me act moody and short-tempered, which in turn caused me to regularly start arguments with my friends. Whenever that happened, I would reflect on the argument, think, “I really am unlikeable”, and the cycle would repeat. Meanwhile, I wasn’t paying attention to all of the good experiences I was having with my friends which directly opposed my belief.

I imagine something similar is going on for you. The solution is to really think it through: What scares you about it in particular? What’s your emotional response when you think about it? (like, just fear, or are there other emotions mixed in?) What do you think the results will be if you do go out in public? Is this causing any specific behaviours or physical responses? (You already mentioned feeling tense, getting cramps, feeling nauseated, so just more stuff like that). It’d probably help to write it all down somewhere. Maybe even draw it up in a cycle like the one I described earlier.

Once the problem is identified and understood (which may take more time and effort than you’d think), you can start challenging it. Just go outside and take the risk. See it as an experiment. Afterwards, try comparing your experience to everything you’d written down beforehand. Were the results comparable? I imagine you’ll find that it won’t be as bad as your fears suggested it would be. If you repeat this over and over again, each time reflecting on whether or not your beliefs held up, eventually you may be able to make some progress towards removing it altogether. Start slow though.

Oh, and it may be a good idea to look into getting some medication if you haven’t already. I saw in your earlier post that you suffer from depression as well as anxiety, and there are quite of a lot of drugs that reduce both (sertraline, my own medication, is primarily prescribed for depression but also serves as an anti-anxiety drug). It’s rare for medication to solve the problem entirely, but it often does help.

So yeah, good luck tomorrow, and I hope you start feeling better soon.

I went outside and everything went OK.

I’m feeling a lot better cause I went to the doctors today

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!