Forums / Discussion / General

232,781 total conversations in 7,783 threads

+ New Thread

hey im new (Ed: newbie onboarding practices)

Last posted Jan 05, 2010 at 02:39PM EST. Added Dec 17, 2009 at 06:10PM EST
119 posts from 18 users

before making an entry, consult the discussion boards.

Upload pis and help fill out already existing meme entries by posting info in the comments section.

Here's a little FAQ I've started working on. Feel free to share your thoughts.

1. What is a meme?

A meme is a theoretical cultural unit that spreads from one mind to the next, via imitation. Meme's are typically made up of many instances along the same theme, created by many different users. Memes spread due to their inherent values. Typically, the factor that contributes to a meme's spread and popularity has to do with how easy it is to emulate.

2. What is a forced meme?

A meme in it's purest sense is an idea that spreads because of genuine interest. A forced meme is generally something that has been written about or spammed excessively, or otherwise declared as a meme prior to proof of organic spread or interest. However, it should be noted that if user interest picks up, a forced meme can sometimes succeed in generating interest.

3. What is astroturfing?

Astroturfing occurs when a viral video or other phenomenon is staged or faked by an organization or other group of connnected individuals looking to promote a product, yet hide the fact that they are advertising. Knowing the difference between a grassroots movement and an astroturf movement is essential when considering a meme's legitimacy.

4. Your site contains content that I find offensive. Why don't you remove it?

There are many phenomena that spread not because they are funny, but because they are offensive. Obscenity grabs attention. That attention, whether positive or negative, propagates the meme. Know Your Meme does not condone discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, faith, political affiliation, or loyalty to sports teams such as the Packers (Peace be upon them).

However, there are many memes that spread because of their ability to offend people, and this is a phenomenon that we feel is worth documenting.

@Christmasy streetlights i just read the thing on trolling i have to know in the thing were you click i accept there should be something about trolling on there

A certain degree of trolling is to be expected. A lot of it is harmless and plenty of us appreciate the lulz. The main problem is that we're still stuck with one big general discussion board where it drowns everything out.

i wonder in KYM should there be Moderators trusted users who have powers to ban other users themselves
but there is also a problem they could also go mad with power and abuse it

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!