Forums / Discussion / General

232,886 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Good Years for Memes

Last posted Aug 23, 2014 at 08:42PM EDT. Added Aug 21, 2014 at 08:03PM EDT
10 posts from 10 users

So, this is where you discuss what periods of time or even specific years of when you thought there were the best for good memes in quantity and quality.

My favorite period isn't really one specific year is the so-called "golden age" of memes which most people also think was the best. Basically the time when rage comics came up, Rick Roll, all that good stuff. I know that's kind of vague, but it's enough. 2014 has also been a decent year in my opinion. There's been Dashcon, Tumblr raids 4chan, and Quinnspiracy/Quinnsgate so far which I've enjoyed. I thought 2013 kind of sucked. It was pretty much just Doge which got old fast. Also, my views on memes are kind of skewed since most of my exposure to them are through KYM and I've hardly ever gotten to experience them first-hand which is kind of a shame but oh well!

Last edited Aug 21, 2014 at 08:03PM EDT

I think that era may be better than simple year designations. I'm going less by when the "best memes" were around (as that it too pron to my bias) and more by "when was it a good time for to be a meme"

I think that Somewhere around 2008-2010 (maybe thru 2011) was the "best". There you have rage comics before they fell into to misuse and hatred, as well as some of the last popular additions to the rage face family that were not just vectors of other images. Rickroll was still fun. Nyan Cat and Inglip came about in 2011, and it felt like the extreme hatred for advice animals had not yet developed.

It also felt (to me at least) like there was less hatred for older memes in general, and more nostalgia. People using memes from years earlier didn't feel like there were just mocking people who liked memes but were actually sincere.

LNH wrote:

its a good year for ur mom xd

Come on, this is General, not riff-raff.

Depends on what you consider as good memes. I mean, 2-3 years ago Rage Comics and Advice Animals were as popular as ever. At least that's what I recall.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!