Forums / Discussion / General

232,895 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

What do you say when you're not saying anything?

Last posted Aug 23, 2014 at 12:25AM EDT. Added Aug 22, 2014 at 12:49AM EDT
12 posts from 12 users

I don't know that this is a Riff-Raff topic, but I couldn't think where else to put it.
Looks like it goes in General.

I've always been interested in what phrase (or sound effect) people use when they're trying to shorten a speech. I've always used "blah-blah" as in, "So my mom was telling me to clean my room, blah-blah, and I asked her why she's always nagging me." Other people seem to use mostly "yada yada" as in "I was on the IRC talking to RandomMan about video games, yada yada, and next thing you know we're back on the subject of dicks!" or "dah dah" as in "Brucker was droning on about some pointless crap, dah dah dah dah dah, and I just downvoted him on general principles."

So, in short, I'm curious as to what you say as generic sentence filler.

Last edited Aug 22, 2014 at 12:57AM EDT

I spent like five whole goddamn minutes trying to remember what I use in these instances, and then I finally realized: I don't. Seems like my mind doesn't work that way, and nor does my language. Everything has to be point A to point B, then to point C, all the way to the end. No yada yadas for me. Is that weird? Probably.
Though I guess if you're just asking what I use when I trail off a sentence, like others seem to think, I usually use the phrases they already stated.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!