Forums / Discussion / General

232,893 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Things You Like That You Think Suck Now

Last posted Sep 06, 2014 at 04:21AM EDT. Added Sep 02, 2014 at 04:18PM EDT
26 posts from 24 users

Title speaks for itself.

Spongebob: This has been explained by many people many times, so I don't really want to. If you like new Spongebob, fine by me. It's not the worst thing ever and every 1 out of 100 episodes ends up being good, but I just hate Spongebob in its current state.

Runescape: It doesn't necessarily suck now, but it's become so pay-to-play it's just ridiculous. It's always been somewhat pay-to-play, but never at the state it's in now. I last played it like a year ago or something so I don't know what state it's in now. If anyone can tell me that would be nice. I can still enjoy myself with it and I want to like it, but it's hard to sometimes. I've loved the game for so long and I don't want to leave it like I always end up doing.

On the topic of Runescape:

It's still an MMO with a subscription to get access to the full game. Sort of better than actually pay-to-play, but not by much. Micro transactions became a thing, but the majority of them are useless or give so little of a benefit that you might as well have just played the game. And while Bonds make it much easier to buy gold, it's terrible in comparison to gold sellers value-wise, so that didn't really change. They're better for membership.

TL;DR – It's pretty much the same state as it was after EoC hit. It's out lived its glory days, but then again it's cheap and you can pretty much buy membership with in-game gold. It's fun, but other MMOs are better IMHO. I'm only playing it until the next WoW expansion comes out.

Actually on topic:

TV in general. Not that the shows suck, I will happily watch a show I'm interested in on the web if I want to, it's just that I've gotten to the point where sitting through 15 minutes of advertisements makes me want to kill myself, and having to wait for my desired shows to come on annoys me.

Last edited Sep 02, 2014 at 05:02PM EDT

Socks wrote:

On the topic of Runescape:

It's still an MMO with a subscription to get access to the full game. Sort of better than actually pay-to-play, but not by much. Micro transactions became a thing, but the majority of them are useless or give so little of a benefit that you might as well have just played the game. And while Bonds make it much easier to buy gold, it's terrible in comparison to gold sellers value-wise, so that didn't really change. They're better for membership.

TL;DR – It's pretty much the same state as it was after EoC hit. It's out lived its glory days, but then again it's cheap and you can pretty much buy membership with in-game gold. It's fun, but other MMOs are better IMHO. I'm only playing it until the next WoW expansion comes out.

Actually on topic:

TV in general. Not that the shows suck, I will happily watch a show I'm interested in on the web if I want to, it's just that I've gotten to the point where sitting through 15 minutes of advertisements makes me want to kill myself, and having to wait for my desired shows to come on annoys me.

Cool! Yeah, I might try it again. Who knows?

I also agree with the TV thing. I haven't legitimately sat there and watched television in two years or maybe three for these very reasons. Also, my package sucks and all the cool shows people always talk about are never on the channels I have.

The Warcraft Universe: Don't get me wrong, World of Warcraft is a still awesome game. But, the Warcraft I feel in love was the RTS from the first one to the Third installment. Reign Of Chaos/Frozen Throne is still my favorite RTS alongside AoM and C&C Red Alert 2. I just wish Blizzard would made a new Warcraft installment.

Lego. You use to be able to get a big bucket of bricks with a booklet that had a lot of different designs in it. Now you have to spend $70 to get a themed toy kit that lets you build one small thing.

And while on the subject of toys, Transformers. I've seen Transformers toys based on the new movies that don't transform. That's a serious case of missing the point.

South Park. I thought the early seasons were consistently funny and they made some clever social commentary at times. The movie in particular was amazing, and one of the few musicals I can actually enjoy. I kept watching the seasons that came afterwards, even though I felt they weren't as polished, and then they created an episode that was focused on Towelie and Oprah's talking private parts. I haven't watched it regularly since. The only episodes I've seen that had even a hint of the show's previous spirit was the "Coon Trilogy". Otherwise, I've found it stale to the point of being depressing.

StarCraft: I played StarCraft since brood war came out, and had a lot of fun with it. Watching the pro leagues and playing many custom maps and enjoying the almost perfect balance. I was excited for StarCraft II, but it just didn't meet the expectations and the game went through wrong turn after the wrong turn, making into a mess.

Rikkhan wrote:

anime… years ago I used to watch the shit out of animes now I only watch like one or two animes per year…

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Somewhat as in after a two year break I have recently started getting back into it. All mediums shift their tone and or overall production style over the years, so coming back after that long is pretty refreshing for me.

On Topic:

Fast Food.

To be clear, there are still fastfood chains I like, but if you eat fastfood often enough for a very long period of time, you get SO burnt out on it.

Not to mention it's outright not healthy for you. It's meant to be addicting, not tasty.

On the subject of RuneScape, it's still a pretty fun game to play. Granted, I've become pretty addicted to League of Legends over the past few months, but I still play RS pretty often. They introduced an oldschool version last year if you weren't aware. It's basically a build of the game from 2007 with some added features to improve gameplay and some that are even exclusive to the oldschool version itself, so if you're not a fan of RS3, that's something to look at. Jagex also released a new mode into RS3 recently called Legacy Mode which emulates the game interfaces and combat style from 2012 before the EoC was released, so if you like that, there's that option too. There's plenty of new and interesting content to check out, too, plus a couple of big updates coming this month: one is the opening of a new city which has been in the game since 2004 but has been empty and inaccessible, and another one which will allow you to set the game up when you start a new account so that you basically can't interact with players at all, and have to get everything in the game yourself (people call this the "Iron Man" challenge).

On topic, I'd have to say anime in general. I used to love watching it, but I've reached a point where it's hard to find a good one that doesn't have several things in it that bother me. The only exception for me at the moment would probably be Attack on Titan.

Halo. It pretty much died with Bungie. Halo 4 was abysmal with it's awful multiplayer and mediocre campaign. Then they produce awful stuff like Spartan Assault and keep pushing a lot of barely interesting non game stuff and wanting to make TV shows and movies. Now they are selling the series but with better graphics for the Xbone like it's something new. It feels like a shitty Sci-Fi franchise now.

In the beginning Halo: CE was a really good game with a good multiplayer and campaign, Halo 2 came about with more features and a good campaign and the multiplayer pretty much kickstarted console online MP. Halo 3 was just amazing and then they started adding more lore with some good books, graphic novels and started making some cool collectables. Basically it was all good with some more games and then Reach was really good. But by Halo 4 the over-commercialization was apparent for games that weren't good.

Funnily enough it got worse when 343 took over. Hmm.

Last edited Sep 03, 2014 at 09:34AM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

legend of zelda: when i was a lot younger i played this game thinking it was challenging. Now i am a lot older i see these games as casual c***.

FPS games in general: All dem realistic military kiddy shooters, nuff said.

I kinda want FPS games to go back to the fast-paced Quake Arena action styled games.

SpongeBob
South Park (Though this isn't from decline in quality so much as me rejecting Matt and Trey's politics as I got older, in particular their love of the Golden Mean Fallacy)
Family Guy
Adventure Time (The Lich has zero motivation and can only be beaten with dei ex machina, Finn's become a total sad sack, things we think are going to be important are undone mere episodes later having had zero effect, even the much built-up loss of Finn's arm, and it's barely about adventures anymore)
Fairly OddParents
Movie posters
Movie trailers
Movie effects
Movie adaptations and sequels and prequels and remakes and reboots (Just too Goddamn many of them nowadays)
Movies in general (vis-a-vis the current emphasis on foreign, in particular Chinese, box offices caused by overblown effects)
Video game manuals (Seriously, remember when they used to contain more than the controls?)
Video game difficulty
Diversity of genres and premises in video games
WarCraft (Remember when it had engaging characters who didn't just exist to be killed by nobodies for loot?)
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot
Cracked
Doctor Who
Disney animated movies (Great job killing your traditional animation department, guys)
Shrek (in particular because the first one's success lead to everyone abandoning traditional animation for CGI)
Friendship is Magic (It became big because it was a labor of love, but once Faust and Renzetti left so did all real passion)
The Ponibooru community post-move to Derpibooru (So much less trying to drown out discourse with shitposting back in the Ponibooru days…)

Last edited Sep 04, 2014 at 06:37PM EDT

Another thing for me is Smosh. I'm not sure if I just grew tired of their content or grew out of it or it legitimately got worse (probably a mix of both), but I haven't liked them for some time. I feel like their content actually did deteriorate in quality and became ridiculously immature (like it wasn't already, which is saying something.) Also, they've pretty much become sell-outs. It's super obvious that everything they do is for profit and nothing else.

WarriorTang wrote:

Lego. You use to be able to get a big bucket of bricks with a booklet that had a lot of different designs in it. Now you have to spend $70 to get a themed toy kit that lets you build one small thing.

And while on the subject of toys, Transformers. I've seen Transformers toys based on the new movies that don't transform. That's a serious case of missing the point.

Transformers that don't transform are nothing new, they've been around off and on since 1990.

WarriorTang wrote:

So? Everything has gone up in price, bro. Prices pretty much invariably inflate over time. Years ago, the most expensive video games were around $30, but now games are often $60 or more.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!