Forums / Discussion / General

232,890 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

2014 To You

Last posted Sep 06, 2014 at 04:38AM EDT. Added Sep 05, 2014 at 06:50AM EDT
13 posts from 13 users

Seeing all the negative threads about the state of the world, I thought let's get a bit more personal.

How has the year 2014 been to you so far? What are the good and bad things that happened to you this year? Found love, or lost a loved one? Succeeded with college, or dropped out? Everything going normally?

For me personally, without worrying about the woes happening internationally, this year was a step forward for me.

In terms of employment definitely. Friends, a whole lot more. Much more comfortable living environment. Getting laid more often. Some disappointing, but sex none the less. Future goals are on par. Quitting the drink this year has led to some massive improvement in my life. Overall health has improved.

Could have done better but mainly positive compared to last year where I was depressed, lonely, jobless and sexless for the entire first 3 quarters of 2013

Last edited Sep 05, 2014 at 07:28AM EDT

Hmm, 2014 for me?

Well, I was overseas with my relatives in the Philippines from February to May, and even with their unlimited internet with no limits on speed or what you can download, I still think I missed out on a lot of 2014, because everyone there was asking me to do stuff, but I just lounged around on my laptop watching videos instead.

It was still fun there though, I ate a lot of all-you-can-eat sushi, and got a large sickness, which I always do when I'm in the Philippines. In 2006, it was a cat biting me, causing me to get all these "rabies" injections and not eating certain foods, and this year, I had this large fever that I needed "dehydration salts" in all my drinks for.

When I got back in Australia, I found out that they demoted me from my moderator position on a Garry's Mod server because I wasn't on it during my holiday. It's all good now, because I just got promoted even higher, to admin this month. It feels great to ban people who break the rules again, and I got some new commands in this position. I get no pay to administrate the server though, it's all volunteer, which brings me to my next point:

I have no job to go to, no education planned, my main computer is too slow to play any games but TF2 and Garry's Mod and emulation of Nintendo consoles, I have rarely been outside of this apartment, and I am struggling to get the one-hour-and-thirty-minute KYM Thread Simulator 3 completed before the end of the year to keep the annual-ness of it in check. I'm sure I'll be fine though! Don't worry about me, you guys haha! :)

Last edited Sep 05, 2014 at 07:40AM EDT

Let's see…I basically failed college my spring semester. Found out I lost my financial aid for that school. Got a good paying job for the summer. Got a date. Quit my job to go back to school. My date stopped communicating with me sometime just after the date/after I quit my job. And now I'm back in school. (A different school than spring semester, but we have a distance learning program with my original school, so I'm still in the same program.)

Things could be worse, but not as good for me as 2013. I got a date, which I haven't had in about 3 years, but that didn't last long at all and the girl I last dated 3 years ago got married to someone else this summer. Hopefully I can at least redeem the last quarter of 2014 by passing this semester of college. =/

I completed my dissertation and got my Ph.D., then was contracted to do the same job I was doing before with a pay increase. I guess that's validation for all my education, at least.

I'm kind of in the same boat that I was in last year. Nothing particularly interesting happening outside of finishing my degree.

My mom got cancer. I kinda had to put getting started on life on hold to help take care of her but I didn't really have anything better to do anyways (I know college isn't right for me and tech school was a bust).

It's been a pretty tedious year of helping her avoid anything that might complicate her treatment, but overall it went a lot better than I thought it would and should be over pretty soon.

I moved up from being a part time student to full time. It was nice taking it slow and easing myself into college life which I would not change if I could go back but I'm excited to finally put my head down and get to some real progress done. I also got my old high school job back at the library which is literally right across the street from my campus and got a pretty decent amount of hours over the summer. I've gained this pretty sweet moderator title too (which was probably the most unexpected thing to happen this year). My relationship with my boyfriend of 3 and a half years is going swimmingly and hopefully that will keep going as he starts college. I've had my doubts in the past about my choice to study and work in illustration but going on this second week of the semester and finally getting a class in illustration after the somewhat tedious intro courses I feel more sure that this is the direction I want to go. Generally everything is coming up milhouse.

It hasn't all been great thought. While my relationship with my boyfriend has been awesome my relationship with my mom has pretty much shit the bed. We get into fights about everything and I feel she's become very selfish and self centered since her boyfriend (who is great by the way) moved in with us and started pampering her all the time. She used to treat me like a respectable adult but now she's treating me like a child even though I'm almost twenty. It's frustrating to say the least and nothing is getting fixed. On top of that my mom decided for us to move out of the apartment that was right near everything I ever do in this city including work and school and moved us all to a suburb on the other side of the city. With one car to share between three people I'll give you a guess at how easy it is to get to anything anymore. It also doesn't help that I got moved into a smaller bedroom that doesn't even have a proper door (I currently have a curtain covering my doorway). I get that I'm not going to be living with my mom for much longer and my mom's house purchase should be something that will make her happy since she's the one living here the rest of her life but I really wish I didn't have to get the shit end of the stick in the process. I really wish moving out was an option for me right now. I also wish I wasn't a lazy fuck and got a second job over the summer so I could have saved up for a replacement laptop and my own car. Alas, I guess I'll have to wait until next summer for that. Generally all of my woes have to do with my living situation. Well that and my diet is not as good as it should be. I'm not eating very healthy and I can feel my body not liking that.

Overall, I would say this year was pretty ok. Definitely better than 2013 for me.

@BSoD: Congrats on quitting drinking. My dad quit back in 2008 and it's amazing how much his life improved since then.

Ticklechap wrote:

Lying on my side all day for half a year because of ass surgery.

I somewhat know the feel. Back in 2011 I got an infected pimple on my tailbone that got somewhat bad at one point. I recovered fine in a couple weeks, but let's just say for a while sitting was not my favorite activity.

Well, mostly the same as all the years before except for the major life-changing fact that I figured out I'm trans. It happened here too, so whaddya know? Not a bad year at all for me.

@Iamslow

Hope she gets better!

I learned to play bass well (I kept forgetting I had to strum up), I realized I was bisexual, I graduated tenth grade, I reached my goal of learning 100 songs on the guitar (the milestone went to "Would?"), and I'm currently leading my area high school football teams in rushing yards. So bretty gud.

My father had a stroke this March and his business (well, our family business) is in peril because of it. Now, me and my siblings were left with no choice and have to struggle by working together to help stabilize the business' operations.

Something optimistic as of this moment: I get to travel overseas. I went to Malaysia last month and will be going to Japan in November. It's also a personal way for me to ease the stress of what's happening to me. Oh well.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!