Forums / Discussion / General

232,632 total conversations in 7,776 threads

+ New Thread

Microsoft to acquire Mojang? (Update: They bought it)

Last posted Sep 15, 2014 at 06:44PM EDT. Added Sep 09, 2014 at 09:38PM EDT
11 posts from 9 users

Goddamn it. Looks like I'll never be seeing 1.8 since it'll probably be released as a DLC now. Especially since Microsoft's paying 2 billion for it. Minecraft's hit market saturation by this point and is available on every conceivable platform except Nintendo and Sony. There's really three ways for it to make money now. Renting servers (which is what Mojang's currently doing), microtransactions (1 diamond = 1 dollar), or selling updates. Considering how much Microsoft has fucked over Age of Empires, I'm not optimistic at all.

At least I'm still on vanilla so there'll be a ton of mods to keep things fresh for years to come (unless they patch it to prevent modding).

Last edited Sep 09, 2014 at 10:25PM EDT

xTSGx wrote:

Goddamn it. Looks like I'll never be seeing 1.8 since it'll probably be released as a DLC now. Especially since Microsoft's paying 2 billion for it. Minecraft's hit market saturation by this point and is available on every conceivable platform except Nintendo and Sony. There's really three ways for it to make money now. Renting servers (which is what Mojang's currently doing), microtransactions (1 diamond = 1 dollar), or selling updates. Considering how much Microsoft has fucked over Age of Empires, I'm not optimistic at all.

At least I'm still on vanilla so there'll be a ton of mods to keep things fresh for years to come (unless they patch it to prevent modding).

Minecraft is on PSN. Nintendo is alone in this.

xTSGx wrote:

What do you mean? 1.8 is out right now. Is your computer weird and you can't get it yet or something?

Slutty Sam wrote:

What do you mean? 1.8 is out right now. Is your computer weird and you can't get it yet or something?

I was about to say the same, 1.8 has been out for like a week now.

I haven't read the article yet admittedly, but this smells like rumors and speculation and premature assumptions. Remember how we were all sooooooo sure Google bought out Twitch and then it ended up being Amazon that bought them? Yeah I suspect something like that will happen again. Even if this is confirmed, I'm really sick and tired of people getting so negative about buyouts before anything even happens. Barely any change happened when Yahoo bought Tumblr and barely any change has happened so far since Amazon bought Twitch (although it's still early so changes could be coming). Put your doomsday pitchforks down for a second, guys. Jeez.

I would much rather Mojang remained independent. Mainly because independents need more power and not give in to the monopolies

If Mojang does sell out, I'm not worried about the state of gameplay direction, since MS would likely keep the same people on board but I am worried about newer versions of Minecraft becoming exclusive Windows 8 apps. Knowing Microsoft, they'll probably try to integrate everyone's Minecraft accounts with Windows Live.

At the very least, notch should consider a higher price. 2 billion seems too low for Minecrafts worth

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!