Forums / Discussion / General

232,883 total conversations in 7,786 threads

+ New Thread

iPhone 6/Apple watch/Apple shills

Last posted Sep 22, 2014 at 10:11PM EDT. Added Sep 22, 2014 at 08:05AM EDT
7 posts from 7 users

What's are your thoughts on this? Being an Android/Win lover and frequent /g/ user, I have to say that the iPhone 6 is very sexy. Personally I think all "SMRT watches" are so gimmicky I wouldn't own one unless it was given to me.

Do any of you richfags own any?
If you don't want it, you know, you can pm me and I'll give you my mailing address. :)

The only apple product I have own was an iPad gen 3 and it was nice to see a uhd IPS screen for the first time.

I really don't give a crap about the iPhone 6. Honestly the only "feature" that appeals to me is the VoLTE/Wifi some carriers are enabling on it. Really most smartphones should have had this feature by now, but carriers are stupid.

My next phone will probably be a Sony if they stay in the business. Sony's phones have been hella sexy and I've owned 4 generations of them. The Z3, their most recent phone, has:

• A waterproof case
  • 3 GB RAM
  • BT v4.0
  • 20.7 MP camera
  • 4k video capture
  • PS4 Remote Play
  • Android 4.4

Seriously. The only thing I was disappointed about was the lack of a xenon flash. Sony's specs are years ahead of apples. In fact, lets take a look at my now over 2 year old Sony Ion:

• 12 MP camera
  • 1 GB Ram
  • NFC
  • 4.6 inch screen
  • 4G LTE
  • 1.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor

Seem familiar? 90% of the iPhone specs are a rehash of 2012 specs. The only reason I'd consider buying one is so I could learn to develop apps on it so I could rake in boat loads of money off the users. xD

Edit: I also owned sony's 2010 version of a smart watch. I couldn't get into it that much. It was interesting, but was very limited in features and the wrist strap got itchy after a while. I know smart watches have improved since then, but the think I always hated was the battery drain it caused to my phone. If I want a watch, then I'll probably just buy a watch (or dig out the two I got as HS graduation presents). My phone is my watch as it stands. I prefer having a pocket watch I guess you could say.

Last edited Sep 22, 2014 at 10:16AM EDT

Meh, I honestly won't really care about the iPhone 6. Of course it has a nice design, but I just see it as another smart phone. I know that all of my friends will go after it like hungry wolves. The iWatch feels like it came in too late, especially for people like Apple. Plus I'm not into smart watches anyways.
So, I'm just probably gonna stick with my old stuff. But if you want to get them, go get them. Do whatever you want.

I had a modded (Samsung) Galaxy Ace 2, running on Cyanogenmod 11. Still runs great even with only 832 MHz processing speed. Barely able to play Asphalt 8 on it.

I hate phones that's over 5" in size (not screen size) like the Galaxy S3 or the HTC One. Phones that's both fast and small seems to appeal me, like the iPhone 4 or the recent Galaxy Alpha.

EXTRA: Watchfones are a crazy idea, practically useless, but definitely cool. iWatch and Galaxy Gear are great, but needs more, way more functionally to be useful.

And the iPhone 6? I don't f*cking care lel.

Last edited Sep 22, 2014 at 07:28PM EDT

Like The Cute Master, I've had Sony's phones for awhile (3 gens). I currently have the Z1, and I love it. I don't think I'll be getting the Z3 right away though, since I've had the Z1 for only about a year. Maybe next year :) and yes, I'm aware there could possibly be a Z4 by then.

It's funny though. Before the Z1, I had the Xperia X10 mini, one of the smallest Android phones at the time. As you can imagine, I was ecstatic to go from a 5 MP camera to a 20.7 MP one.

As for the whole iPhone debacle, it's just not for me. The iOS is alright, but I prefer the Android system. Albeit I have an iPod Touch (5th gen). I only upgraded because my 2nd gen Touch was causing some issues (and I filled up the 16 GB space).

To me, the iPhone 6 is an underwhelming, overpriced phone with a huge advantage: iOS. iOS users are locked into Apple's ecosystem, in the same way Android users are locked into Google's ecosystem. When you buy an iPhone you aren't buying a phone per se, but rather a key to Apple's services.
The iPhone 6 Plus is a step in the right direction with its 1080p display, but is crippled by its horrible internals. Dual-core processor? 1GB RAM? This isn't 2012, Apple. But I have no doubt that it'll deliver decent performance, as Apple has control over both hardware and software and is extremely competent with software.

Let's talk about the software: iOS 8 is excellent. It's optimized for the hardware, has great memory management, and is very pretty. The Appstore has a huge variety of apps from top developers and independent publishers, most with consistent design philosophies and usage paradigms. This is possible because of Apple's strict guidelines for Appstore submissions, which presents both iOS' greatest strength and biggest weakness. The lack of freedom results in reduced functionality in certain apps and can cause problems when trying to find an app that does something like file management. However, most users don't need this and the problem becomes a nonissue with a simple Jailbreak.
Bottom line: If you've heard of an app, it's probably available on iOS. That is huge.

The biggest problem with any iOS device is aging. If you've owned an iOS device for more than a year and a half you'll notice a huge drop in performance from when you first bought it. Uninstalling apps and killing apps that might be hogging CPU cycles doesn't help either; you have to either deal with the lag and bugginess or buy a new device.

In conclusion:
Would I buy one? No, I am locked into Google's ecosystem (I've invested somewhere around $2000 in it). Should you? If you're already in Apple's ecosystem and due for an upgrade, absolutely. If you're new to smartphones or aren't really invested in any mobile OS, go ahead and try it out along with Android, Windows Phone (soon to be just "Windows"), or maybe even BlackBerry and then weigh your options.

And watches? Not sold on their usefulness. I might get a Moto 360 or something to test this, but I'm more interested in Google Glass.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!