Forums / Discussion / General

232,883 total conversations in 7,786 threads

+ New Thread

Oldest memories of the internet

Last posted Jan 02, 2010 at 08:52PM EST. Added Dec 30, 2009 at 04:53PM EST
39 posts from 16 users

WARNING: Old geezer rant ahead

Let's see. I started on the internet, what, when I was 13? I think so. Back on the ol' Windows 98. Hell yeah. Back then, we did have all this "Youtube" or "Myspace" shit.

You know what we had? Google. Seriously. That's back when AskJeeves and Google were the equivalent of Jacob and Edward; everyone had a team. I actually backed Jeeves for a while. It was pretty a pretty kewl guy, gave you search results about a bigger wang and doesnt afraid of anything.

And we did have this "Youtube" shit either. We had to use different video hosting websites we found on google to view "Napoleon Dynamite dances to the numa numa dance." And we thought that was funny, because the movie had come out. Hell, I even had a "Vote for Pedro" shirt. Yeah. I was one of THOSE kids.

We didnt have all this "smartphone" shit. Hell, our phones were dumb as hell. Bluetooth? What was that? You kids dont know how damn well you have it nowadays with your "Eye-phones" and your "black-berrys" or whatever. Back in the day, we didnt text. We talked. Our parents were too dumb to realize phones weren't meant for talking, so they had us talk on them.

Oh, and the Myspace boom. Oh my god. If you didnt have a myspace, how could you know all your 13 year old friends had OMG JUST TASTED ALCOHOL. Once again, I didnt have one, because my parents listened to all the Christian preachers that were saying that Myspace was OMG THE DEVVVIL. Therefore, I had to walk uphill in the snow (both ways) to get to my friends house so I could gaze on the marvel that was Myspace 1.0.

I could go on, but most of you stopped reading after "when I was 13?" so I'll let you go back to doing whatever 14-16 year old do nowadays.

Okay, my first memories were using dial up! AOL was the coolest thing back in the day. I remember going to Newgrounds when it was starting up, and I definitely remember Homestarrunner! That site a major conversation topic with my friends and I back in middle school.

My oldest memory of ANYTHING to do with the computer was this:

But my earliest internet memory was definitely when everyone was raging over how great MySpace and Yahoo! were. Look at them now. Diminished in power by Facebook and good ol' Google.

And yes, H☆R was pretty big back then and dial-up was annoying.

@jostin

I HATED that thing. I was stupid enough to believe you could actually play it.

I didnt include AOL in my rant because… well… thats just a part of my life I don't want to revisit…

I remember when we first found out about Meatspin. One of my friends became a shock site fiend after that, sending us link after link (on AOL email, nonetheless) to every shock image and site he could find. Thank God AOL was so slow.

That maze screensaver kicked ass. I remember making the walls, ceiling and floor have that funky swirly pattern. And that random mouse that would go by every now and then.

I remember when my parents were debating between AOL and Netscape. My dad, being the jew he is, wanted Netscape, since it was cheap as Cap't Blubbers mother on a Saturday night.

My mom wanted AOL since it actually could do stuff. I never really understood the difference. As long as I got to play my Neopets and Runescape, everything was cool. No wait… that was before Runescape, I believe. Or before I got into it.

Damn, this is starting to become a nostalgia thread. I remember my cousins playing Neopets non-stop! It was so addicting, they said. Personally, I've never played that game and thus, had no clue what it was about.

EDIT: Also, I lol'd at that Blubber's mom thing.

Meh. Runescape was like a drug. I still remember all my old stats. Level 56 warriar-mage, 100+ quest points… crap. =/ Cant believe I still remember that.

Some of my friends (whom I will never name, due to that being defamation) still occasionally play. I'm too busy pwning fr00bs on MW2 and Battlefield: Bad Company to really pay attention to any more MMO's.

@watcher
Don't feel bad. Almost everyone was.

I remember when the Fally Massacre rolled around. Me and my friends acted like it was the end of the world. We thought it was so cool, like, a major incident in history or some shit like that.

June 6th, 2006. Wow. Three years ago, almost four. Man. That crazy.

My father let me log on with Netscape on our performa so I could check out the Strange Matter website (lost forever). I could only spend twenty minutes on it, though, because internet costed by the hour. :'(

Then I used to spend all day on GLFN (Great Lakes Free Net) which had a bunch of threads to browse and chatrooms. About the only meme we had back then were emoticons and there was no fun little icon for each of them.

I remember rs. I think i have that ancient Easter prize thing that turns you into an egg. I should go back and freak everyone out with it.

EDIT: i have the dial-up sound thing on my iPod.

I remember I used to go to the library all the time with my dad when I was like 3 years old, and we went on the PBS website in the section about this show called "Between the Lions" and there was this mouse that used to scare me for some reason, and it was on the webpage and…yeah. That's it.

I joined Neopets… 6 years ago(a while before Viacom bought it), I think, and was ADDICTED for some years.

I also remember being linked to Goatse, Tubgirl and Meatspin when I was 10-12-ish(2004) I still want some brain bleach.

And some years before that… Well, before Rickrolling, screamers were the big thing. You know, when you are watching a video (or otherwise) and suddenly you get a scary face and a loud scream. I remember that maze game, "Jingle Bells Hidden Message" and too many "what's wrong with this picture?" to count.

Or when I had to turn off the internet so mom or dad could make phone calls. (Today, when the phone rings it actually pwns our internets and I have no clue why)

And ALL THE KIDS' CHANNELS WEBSITES. cartoonnetwork.com, toondisney.com, foxkids.com or whatever. I also loved "Garfield's Scary Scavenger Hunt" or whatever it was called. Good times…

And before the internet, we had lots of kick-ass old games on old computer(lulz, there was this DOS game where you could make a Looney Toons "cartoon", but for some reason you could only add 3 or so "frames" and the whole cartoon couldn't have too much in it(animations took up a lot of space)) And that maze screensaver was AWESOME.

Aaaah, good times… and some not so good.

Last edited Dec 31, 2009 at 11:16AM EST

Yep, I'm an old fart and I remember when the inter-webz first started. The first thing I looked up was information on Super Mario RPG on the SNES at nintendo.com. After that i used to visit yomama.com, then joecartoon.com. It has been 15 years later and I still continue to waste my life on the net. Life is precious!

Well, one of my friends explained to me how Internet worked BEFORE dotcom-sites, HTML-pages, and so on. In those times (before 1990) you still needed a modem connected to the computer and the phone line, but you were only operating through DOS. You could download files located on universities' servers (most of them being TXT or EXE). And you could send or receive messages, which were a mere TXT file. I don't even know if mIRC existed yet.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!