Forums / Discussion / General

232,892 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

Can art/media make us bigoted?

Last posted Nov 04, 2014 at 03:23PM EST. Added Nov 02, 2014 at 12:54PM EST
4 posts from 4 users

I'll try to keep my personal response as short as possible. I think that one item isn't likely to make us bigoted, but the general culture of art and media of a given place and time can.

1. I understand how art/media and society relate in the following way. The customs of a community, which is to say a given subset of society, affect the views and biases that go into the creation of a piece of art/media. This piece of art/media is distributed more widely and the customs it reflects go out and affect the world views of many communities, which is to say something more like society as a whole. If a given piece of art is singular in the views it expresses, then it won't likely change anyone's mind on consumption. If the views expressed by that piece of art are reflected by other contemporary pieces of art, then it can affect culture.

Example: One guy writes a book that glorifies the abuse of women, but all the other books released around the same time as his condemn the abuse of women. Because the general consensus is that abusing women is bad, the general audience will view his book as strange or foreign and view it with suspicion.

Like I said, I'm trying to be brief. My understanding of this issue is more philosophical, so if any scientifically minded people could share their understanding of the issue, that would be much appreciated.

Don't forget art that is created for the explicit purpose of encouraging bigotry.

If you use the broadest definition of art, i.e. works created through the application of skill and imagination, then propaganda definitely is art. It takes a lot of creative skill and cunning to construct an elaborate lie.

A highly doubt that anyone would argue that taking this film without a grain (or perhaps a barrelful) of salt is going to make the viewer feel more negatively about Jews.

I think that once you go beyond a pretty young age, you usually only come to agree with arguments explicitly or (often questionably) implicitly made in media if they confirm or play off of your own biases. (For example, in Nazi Germany, not many folks were big fans of Jews anyway, to say the least) The only exception is if, in the person's belief, a very good and all around convincing argument was made. Of course, if that person is a stupid fuck, then they could easily be convinced by a… "not-good" argument.

I think any expert in marketing could tell you how art has always been used to bend people's mind.
And the more good it is the better it does its work. Just think of how many times an imaginary character is being modified before being launched. Why? Because it has to meet their preferences to gain charisma.
For a purpose…

…or a totally different one.

Some characters wouldn't even exist if they hadn't got a specific reason to be created.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!